Ever heard of Centurion bicycles?

Rode a used Centurion Accordo for two years back in '85. Got sold to The Bike Man in Memphis, TN.
Bought a "Pacific".

Centurion was never a bike manufacturer. It was a house-brand of Western States Imports which was,
during the 70s and early 80s, one of the largest bicycle distributors in the country. When mountain
bikes came on the scene, they came up with the name DiamondBack, at first just for mountain bikes
but, as road bikes receded in popularity, they felt they could add some life to them by changing
their (road bikes) name from Centurion to DiamondBack. Bad move, as the Centurion name had quite a
strong brand name recognition, but the feeling was that road bikes were dead, and it made more sense
to consolidate them under a single brand (with the mountain bikes)... maybe they'd do better that
way, capitalizing on the then-popular DiamondBack name.

The early Centurion lineup consisted of the Sport DLX, Accordo, LeMans, Super LeMans and a couple
models above those whose names escape me. These bikes were very solidly built, no cut corners, and
helped deal a deadly blow to the European imports at the time (which were far more finicky to set up
and, at price points below $500 or so, simply not as nice a bike).

The last super-successful (and they were) Centurion models were the Ironmans, originally, if I
recall correctly, just the Ironman and then later the Dave Scott Ironman (one of the first big-time
bicycle company sponsorships of an athlete).

I don't recall the specifics of the soap opera in which Western States fell, but as with many such
things, it involved money, as one of the founders left the company and there were quarrels over
whose company it really was. Eventually the remnants were sold to Raleigh, which was in an
accumulation mode (Diamondback, Univega, I think they even bought Nishiki from West Coast Cycle
Supply, which had been Western State's arch-rival). But all they bought was a name, because
Centurion/Diamondback wasn't a manufacturing facility. They used various manufacturers in the Far
East, including the previously-mentioned Merida.

I believe the Centurion name lived on (as a bicycle name) for a time, perhaps does still, in Israel.

news:[email protected]...

On 10 May 2003 13:09:57 GMT, [email protected] (Jon Isaacs) wrote:

>As a side note, a friend who has worked in the bike business for many years told me that one
>problem with Centurions was they used the same lugs for all their frames sizes so that the BB
>heights were compromised. The RS Elite that I had would ground the pedal rather easily in a
>corner....
>
>jon isaacs

Hi Jon,

I discovered that pedal grinding thing myself yesterday. Good thing I usually position my pedal high
into a turn.

Bob

Yes, Centurion and Diamond Back were creations of WSI. I had a Diamond Back Fleet Streak, then a
Mean Streak which were essentially copies of the Stumpjumper. Centurion also had a great touring
bike called the Pro Tour 15. I bought one on closeout from WSI for next to nothing and I still have
it.I just recently acquired a Dave Scott Ironman, which looks like a pretty decent bike (and the
price, $25 was hard to beat). Just got a Kabuki DFD yesterday if anybody has heard of that model.
Superbe Pro components, chrome frame, sloping fork crown, Sun Tour GS dropouts... Dazze

> So, they designed the frames or at least bought them, had them assembled somewhere and distributed
> them. If I remember correctly, they used to
have a
> sticker that said: "Designed in the USA."
>
> How different is this from bikes like Giant or the other bikes built with
Asian
> frames?? Do they have actually facilities where they assemble the bikes
or do
> they farm them out as Centurion did?

Jon: Ironically, you picked about the only wrong example possible to prove your point (which was
essentially correct). Giant *is* a manufacturer, with plants in Taiwan and China. In fact, they're
one of the largest manufacturers in the bicycle world, doing private-label bikes for just about
everybody, including low-end TREKs.

My point was not that WSI (designer & importer of Diamondback & Centurion) was any different than
anyone else, I was just illustrating the process, and trying to explain (poorly) that virtually none
of the bike lines people come across today are actually manufactured by the company that owns the
label Ironically, with the exception of Giant.

"Jon Isaacs" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> >Centurion was never a bike manufacturer. It was a house-brand of Western States Imports which
> >was, during the 70s and early 80s, one of the
largest
> >bicycle distributors in the country.
>
> So, they designed the frames or at least bought them, had them assembled somewhere and distributed
> them. If I remember correctly, they used to
have a
> sticker that said: "Designed in the USA."
>
> How different is this from bikes like Giant or the other bikes built with
Asian
> frames?? Do they have actually facilities where they assemble the bikes
or do
> they farm them out as Centurion did?
>
> As a side note, a friend who has worked in the bike business for many
years
> told me that one problem with Centurions was they used the same lugs for
all
> their frames sizes so that the BB heights were compromised. The RS Elite
that
> I had would ground the pedal rather easily in a corner....
>
> jon isaacs

[email protected] (Jon Isaacs) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> Now for another question or two:
>
> 1. My understanding is that Giant originally had a close relationship with Schwinn, that Schwinn
> actually started the Giant company and it got away and came back to bite them. Comments??

That's correct... Schwinn was being driven into insolvency by Edward Schwinn, Jr. (a grandson of
founder Ignatz Schwinn) and his "we don't have to compete with anybody... we're Schwinn" attitude
and subcontracted frames from (first) Panasonic (the upper Le Tour series) and the Tony Lo's Giant
(whom Schwinn helped modernize and assist), and as Schwinn faded Giant and Trek took over Schwinn's
customers.

> 2. I seems to me that at least some of the high end Centurion's were built in Japan. My
> recollection is that my RS Elite which came with 6 Speed indexing Shimano 600 and gold colored
> Diacompe Royal II brakes or some such thing was built in Japan. This would have been probably
> built in about 1987.

My 1987 Centurion Cavaletto has a "Made in Japan" sticker right on the downtube!

> [email protected] (Jon Isaacs) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > Now for another question or two:
> > 1. My understanding is that Giant originally had a close relationship
with
> > Schwinn, that Schwinn actually started the Giant company and it got away
and
> > came back to bite them. Comments??

"Garrison Hilliard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> That's correct... Schwinn was being driven into insolvency by Edward Schwinn, Jr. (a grandson of
> founder Ignatz Schwinn) and his "we don't have to compete with anybody... we're Schwinn" attitude
> and subcontracted frames from (first) Panasonic (the upper Le Tour series) and the Tony Lo's Giant
> (whom Schwinn helped modernize and assist), and as Schwinn faded Giant and Trek took over
> Schwinn's customers.

(JI)> > 2. I seems to me that at least some of the high end Centurion's were built in
> > Japan. My recollection is that my RS Elite which came with 6 Speed
indexing
> > Shimano 600 and gold colored Diacompe Royal II brakes or some such thing
was
> > built in Japan. This would have been probably built in about 1987.

(GH)> My 1987 Centurion Cavaletto has a "Made in Japan" sticker right on the
> downtube!

Mitch Weiner was shorted out of a deal to supply badged Raleighs in the late sixties after arranging
nicely built bikes* with Tano and Company, Osaka. He was reading "The New Centurions" at the time
and used that name for his bicycles. His company, WilGo, later necame Western States, then
DiamondBack and was eventually merged into Raleigh.

So Centurions were not only Japanese, they owed their very existence to a Japanese
manufacurer/assembler. It wasn't until about 1986 (?) that they introduced their first Taiwanese
built model, the Signet.

*the rumor is that Raleigh backed out when they realized the Tano-built bikes were _too_ well made
and would have outsold their own British bikes.

"A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> Mitch Weiner was shorted out of a deal to supply badged Raleighs in the late sixties after
> arranging nicely built bikes* with Tano and Company, Osaka. He was reading "The New Centurions" at
> the time and used that name for his bicycles. His company, WilGo, later necame Western States,
> then DiamondBack and was eventually merged into Raleigh.

That is roughly the story as I heard it from a WSI sales rep long ago. I couldn't remember as many
of the details so many thanks for posting.

> So Centurions were not only Japanese, they owed their very existence to a Japanese
> manufacurer/assembler. It wasn't until about 1986 (?) that they introduced their first Taiwanese
> built model, the Signet.

> *the rumor is that Raleigh backed out when they realized the Tano-built bikes were _too_ well made
> and would have outsold their own British bikes.

The way the story was told to me was that the bikes were spec'ed and built by an American division
of Raleigh; when Raleigh England learned about it they informed the American division that their job
was to sell British Raleighs and put the Kibosh on Raleigh selling Japaneese bikes.

Whatever the true story I sold a boatload of Centurions in the mid '80's. The only brand of
Japaneese bikes I liked better was Miyata but Centurions always sold better because WSI seemed to be
better at specing them out and Centurions had better color schemes. I do wish I picked up a 58cm
Team Miyata for myself when I had the chance. Money was tight at the time and I had a good bike.

Bruce
--
Bruce Jackson - Sr. Systems Programmer - DMSP, a M/A/R/C Group company

My flea-market special (ten dollars!) is a ca. 1990 Diamond Back (separate words back then). The
decal on the top tube reads "Centurion Designed," and a sticker near the bottom bracket provides the
small print, "Exclusively built for WSI..." The model is welded crmo, fitted with RX100 components.
(These feature indexed shifting that can be dialed to friction with a twist of the right DT lever
tension screw.)

Someone, maybe Weiner, made a decision to market the TIG welding as a positive feature, against
prevailing taste for lugged construction. He slapped the bike with a decal pronouncing it "Hand
Welded" and named it "Expert TG," saving space perhaps by ablating the "I" from the acronym for
Tungsten Inert Gas.

It's a good bike. It fits. I rode with the club 45 miles yesterday in the fog and rain and did not
fall behind. I try not to think about how insignificant the differences are--modern components
aside--between it and my signature bike.

Rodger

In rec.bicycles.tech Rodger <[email protected]> wrote:
: My flea-market special (ten dollars!) is a ca. 1990 Diamond Back (separate words back then). The
: decal on the top tube reads "Centurion Designed," and a sticker near the bottom bracket provides
: the small print, "Exclusively built for WSI..." The model is welded crmo, fitted with RX100
: components. (These feature indexed shifting that can be dialed to friction with a twist of the
: right DT lever tension screw.)

: Someone, maybe Weiner, made a decision to market the TIG welding as a positive feature, against
: prevailing taste for lugged construction. He slapped the bike with a decal pronouncing it "Hand
: Welded" and named it "Expert TG," saving space perhaps by ablating the "I" from the acronym for
: Tungsten Inert Gas.

I bought a garage sale DiamondBack Centurian a few years ago at a yard sale. It was probably the
next Generation. It has oversized Tange tubing and is tig welded. It has a complete 105 group. It is
called a "Master TG*". On the chainstay there is a small decal that says "Centurian". The frame was
made in Taiwan.

It is a very nice riding bike and I hope to keep it a very long time.

Bob Masse