Ever heard of John Cobb Saddles???

bianchi10

Oct 28, 2009
Anyone heard of Cobb cycling or John Cobb saddles? fairly interested but wasn't sure if anyone has had any experience with one. I have a selle italia max flite and it is KILLING my under carraige! looking for a saddle with a flatter top but offer some padding that isn't going to be to soft which will push the soft tissue into my soft bones. I have tlaked to a couple different distributors and they have nothing but GREAT things to say about them. I just want to make sure they arent being salesman and trying to turn a buck, which is why I am asking my fellow riders here.

I'm looking into the flow MAX

Cobb Cycling

John Cobb is the guy to see if you want aerodynamic TT bike fittings along with wind tunnel testing. He knows his stuff and has spent many years working with road cyclists and triathletes on bike fits, especially wrt aerodynamics.

I wouldn't have any qualms about buying his products, but there isn't a single magic saddle design that works for everyone designed by him or anyone else. Selle Italia is a very reputable company, and many riders love their flite saddles, but apparently it isn't working for you.

Have you tried the Specialized Toupe series saddles? Their design is nice, but what's interesting is that they sell their saddles in three different widths to match the sitbone widths of different riders. Their system makes it easy, but the shape, padding and widths of saddles differ and along with getting the angle and setback right for you when mounting it, width and shape are really important and have to be tailored to your needs not someone else's.

The best approach is to find a good local shop that has a saddle exchange policy. Several local shops here (Seattle) have policies where you can buy a saddle, put some electric tape on the rails to avoid scuff marks and ride if for a week or two but exchange it if you're not satisfied. That's how I arrived at my current road and cross bike saddles and in both cases it was more a matter of correct width and shape than amount of padding that worked in the end.

Good luck whichever route you go,
-Dave

bianchi10 said:
Anyone heard of Cobb cycling or John Cobb saddles? fairly interested but wasn't sure if anyone has had any experience with one. I have a selle italia max flite and it is KILLING my under carraige! looking for a saddle with a flatter top but offer some padding that isn't going to be to soft which will push the soft tissue into my soft bones. I have tlaked to a couple different distributors and they have nothing but GREAT things to say about them. I just want to make sure they arent being salesman and trying to turn a buck, which is why I am asking my fellow riders here.

I'm looking into the flow MAX

Cobb Cycling

I have done a bit more research and have found out just what you have said about his knowledge. I know what works for you may not work for me and so forth. I think I may be trying it, not sure at this point yet. I did try the toupe, maybe not long enough but in trying 2 different widths they hurt my sit bones as well. Which is why I was looking for something with a bit more padding. I also know that padding is not always better comfort wise as to much padding can push the soft tissues up into your body creating a bad aching sensation on longer rides. I'm just trying to find that happy medium. Unfortunately in the Northwest we dont really have any of the ditributors to go and look at one in person, but it is nice to know John Cobb has a 6 MONTH comfort guarantee, so it's at worst I wouldn't be out anything.

well I ordered it. we will see if it stands up to the reputation. I called 9 distributors across the US today and asked them their opinion on the not so name brand saddle. NOT 1 negative thing to say about it! when you buiy the saddle, it comes with a install DVD for those who dont know how to measure where their seat should be, a measuring tape and a tool kit. John says on his site that if within 6 months you are not satisfied with the comfort or performance of the saddle, return it with no quesitons asked for a full money back guarantee. The only thing he asks is that you keep the measurring tape, tool kit and dvd so you can use it on any future saddles you install. :D THAT is good business! I figure I have nothing to loose here and everything to gain if it works out.

I will keep ya posted on what I think of it after it arrives

Originally Posted by bianchi10 .

well I ordered it. we will see if it stands up to the reputation. I called 9 distributors across the US today and asked them their opinion on the not so name brand saddle. NOT 1 negative thing to say about it! when you buiy the saddle, it comes with a install DVD for those who dont know how to measure where their seat should be, a measuring tape and a tool kit. John says on his site that if within 6 months you are not satisfied with the comfort or performance of the saddle, return it with no quesitons asked for a full money back guarantee. The only thing he asks is that you keep the measurring tape, tool kit and dvd so you can use it on any future saddles you install. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif THAT is good business! I figure I have nothing to loose here and everything to gain if it works out.

I will keep ya posted on what I think of it after it arrives
So how did it go? Are you happy? It was the Max yes?