Ever seen a flat like this?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Tilman, Apr 25, 2003.

  1. Tilman

    Tilman Guest

    Recently I had a string of flats that looked very suspicious. Turns out there were two holes close
    to the valve stem. Both holes were inline with the valve stem on either side of the valve roughly
    3/4" away from the valve. I have ruled out the following causes:

    1) Snakebite: Holes in this case would not be inline but rather on either side of the centerline
    of the tube.

    2) Bad rimtape: No spoke nipples in the area.

    3) Bad tube: Tried a few tubes, failure never at the seam or any other manufacturing relict.

    4) Burr at the valve hole: The holes are too far away from the valve stem.

    Tube was a longstem tube. Rim a Mavic Ksyrium.

    Any idea what could be causing this?

    Tilman.

    Tags:

  2. Jim

    Jim Guest

    OK heres a guess; the nut on the valve too tight, drawing the tube into the hole it the rim, rim
    cuts tube. If your rim is a box section design, doesn┬╣t the stem go through 2 holes? The nut would
    draw the stem through The first, taped hole just enough to allow the tube to expand into the hollow
    core and be exposed to the underside of the hole?

    Seems reasonable to me

    jim

    "Tilman" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Recently I had a string of flats that looked very suspicious. Turns out there were two holes close
    > to the valve stem. Both holes were inline with the valve stem on either side of the valve roughly
    > 3/4" away from the valve. I have ruled out the following causes:
    >
    > 1) Snakebite: Holes in this case would not be inline but rather on either side of the centerline
    > of the tube.
    >
    > 2) Bad rimtape: No spoke nipples in the area.
    >
    > 3) Bad tube: Tried a few tubes, failure never at the seam or any other manufacturing relict.
    >
    > 4) Burr at the valve hole: The holes are too far away from the valve stem.
    >
    > Tube was a longstem tube. Rim a Mavic Ksyrium.
    >
    > Any idea what could be causing this?
    >
    > Tilman.

    jim

    [email protected]

  3. Jim

    Jim Guest

    BTW I did see in your original post that you thought the holes were too far away from the stem hole,
    but, if you have a box section rim, 3/4 of an inch might not be too far away.

    jim

    "Tilman" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Recently I had a string of flats that looked very suspicious. Turns out there were two holes close
    > to the valve stem. Both holes were inline with the valve stem on either side of the valve roughly
    > 3/4" away from the valve. I have ruled out the following causes:
    >
    > 1) Snakebite: Holes in this case would not be inline but rather on either side of the centerline
    > of the tube.
    >
    > 2) Bad rimtape: No spoke nipples in the area.
    >
    > 3) Bad tube: Tried a few tubes, failure never at the seam or any other manufacturing relict.
    >
    > 4) Burr at the valve hole: The holes are too far away from the valve stem.
    >
    > Tube was a longstem tube. Rim a Mavic Ksyrium.
    >
    > Any idea what could be causing this?
    >
    > Tilman.

    jim

    [email protected]

  4. David Kunz

    David Kunz Guest

    Tilman wrote:
    > Recently I had a string of flats that looked very suspicious. Turns out there were two holes close
    > to the valve stem. Both holes were inline with the valve stem on either side of the valve roughly
    > 3/4" away from the valve. I have ruled out the following causes:
    >
    > 1) Snakebite: Holes in this case would not be inline but rather on either side of the centerline
    > of the tube.
    >
    > 2) Bad rimtape: No spoke nipples in the area.
    >
    > 3) Bad tube: Tried a few tubes, failure never at the seam or any other manufacturing relict.
    >
    > 4) Burr at the valve hole: The holes are too far away from the valve stem.
    >
    > Tube was a longstem tube. Rim a Mavic Ksyrium.
    >
    > Any idea what could be causing this?
    >
    > Tilman.

    Try another brand tube. I had 3 Michlin (I think) tubes fail in a similar manner right in a row. No
    other brand tube did this before or after. These were long stem. I've since gotten rid of the rim
    since getting long stem presta tubes was a PITA and working with the presta valve extensions was
    even worse...

    David

  5. Res09c5t

    Res09c5t Guest

    Hi, This isn't likely to be it but have you checked your tires for problems? I had a series of
    flats last year that I thought were snakebites but turned out to be the wire bead poking through
    on the inside of the tire. It stayed pretty flat so it wouldn'y puncture the tube immediately but
    it would rub against the tube and cause a flat after 10 or 20 miles. This isn't likely to happen
    to both sides at once and the location may not be right but thought it might be a thought starter
    for you. Lyle

    "Tilman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Recently I had a string of flats that looked very suspicious. Turns out there were two holes close
    > to the valve stem. Both holes were inline with the valve stem on either side of the valve roughly
    > 3/4" away from the valve. I have ruled out the following causes:

  6. I've had flats like this when the valve didn't seat properly in the valve hole. This left "voids"
    between the rim and the tube on either side of the valve. When inflated the tube balloned
    (stretched) into these areas, then punctured in it's own good time (usually when not riding).

    In my case, one fix was to build up "wedges" of rim tape on either side of the valve hole, to fill
    the void. The real fix was to get a tube that fit properly in the drop center of the rim.

    On 25 Apr 2003, Tilman wrote:

    > Recently I had a string of flats that looked very suspicious. Turns out there were two holes close
    > to the valve stem. Both holes were inline with the valve stem on either side of the valve roughly
    > 3/4" away from the valve. I have ruled out the following causes:
    >
    > 1) Snakebite: Holes in this case would not be inline but rather on either side of the centerline
    > of the tube.
    >
    > 2) Bad rimtape: No spoke nipples in the area.
    >
    > 3) Bad tube: Tried a few tubes, failure never at the seam or any other manufacturing relict.
    >
    > 4) Burr at the valve hole: The holes are too far away from the valve stem.
    >
    > Tube was a longstem tube. Rim a Mavic Ksyrium.
    >
    > Any idea what could be causing this?
    >
    > Tilman.

  7. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Tilman wrote:
    > Recently I had a string of flats that looked very suspicious. Turns out there were two holes close
    > to the valve stem. Both holes were inline with the valve stem on either side of the valve roughly
    > 3/4" away from the valve.

    I've had the same thing happen several times with Vredestein "Race" tubes, except the holes were
    closer to the valve. I've never experienced it with other tubes used with the same rim and rim tape.
    I put it down to the tube's valve reinforcement pad being a too-small disc instead of the usual
    large oval that other brands use.

    ~PB

  8. Tilman

    Tilman Guest

    Thank you, this pointed me in the right direction: Turns out that I pushed the valve stem up in
    order to seat the tire properly, but inflating the tube never pushed the valve stem back down. With
    the long stem tubes, it is hard to tell how much valve stem is supposed to show. Now as I pumped up,
    the tube ballooned around the valve stem. Needles to say, once you a hit a small pump right where
    the valve is, the tube gets squished into the rim hole. I actually reproduced this at home, just
    purposly not seating the stem properly and then pushing it in after inflating - the holes match
    exactly the ones on my other tubes.

    news:<[email protected]>...