Ever try online dating?

JTE83

Jan 28, 2004
I tried match.com for 6 months, but I wasn’t proactive and didn’t hit on the women there. Main reason was I moved for a temp job from Chicago to Bowling Green, KY. I just waited to see who hit on me but no one did. My only emails to me seemed to be fake profiles that match.com sent to me to goad me into a sucker subscription. And the women who looked at my profile weren’t interesting or pretty either. And I wasn’t interested in the women that hit on me on my HOTORNOT.com pic too (but one woman was a playboy club girl too).

Ever try craigslist.com? What truly amazes me is that there are lots of horny women looking for NSA sex posting there or else they’re fake. Yeah! Women have big sex drives too – that’s my impression from craigslist posts!

It seems on some profiles people also lie about a lot of stuff including their income. And I also read from a newspaper story of how unsafe it is!

What are your experiences?

I mean, if you want a hot chick, there are lots of them going around shopping malls while you shop, so why bother with a nightclub where you have to pay?

On-line dating Lol. Good-luck with that. They should have forum dating. Something like this with different subjects and make it a way to meet people. Women with NSA sex postings are more than likely hookers, or they may as well be. Although I have met some women who ramble on about how they don't want anything serious, and this is in person. Craigslist is free can't be good. Internet dating is like the newer version of newspaper ads. Lol. Its all just better in person anyway.

I wouldn't do that because there's too much of a risk associated with it. Someone could waste your time and be catfishing you. They also could be creeps.

I've never tried online dating, but have dated online, ironically. I never signed up for any dating sites, but I did meet my first fiance on a forum for mental health. We were together two years, but it didn't work out. I don't think I'd ever want to go out of my way to search the internet for a special someone. It just doesn't feel like my kind of thing. But I have met some incredibly sweet people on the internet while blundering around not looking. ;P

I met my girlfriend in tinder. We are still together and going strong!:) since then ive stopped using it but its a good app and its free! I think there are more apps similar to it now...

I have tried it. Never had much look. It seems they only want a hook up and I'm not looking for that. I usually never even get past a few messages on those things. I only use it because I don't go out much to meet anyone, but I barely do on there either.

I tried online dating over a decade ago. This was a period when online dating was still fresh and new. Most of the folks on these sites were more genuine and honest on their profiles. I had a fair amount of success and found someone that I ended up in a fairly long-term relationship. Eventually it didn't work out, we had our differences. But I never bothered to go back to online dating because of the horror stories I was hearing from other folks.

Reactions: Tuebec
I would rather spend my time offline. Some place where I have the option to see the real person that I would be interested in and not on the virtual world where everyone can be who they wish they could be. I find it safer and will save me time and effort if I see someone in real life and not on any dating site.

Nope, never tried online dating and don't intend to. It works I give it that but I'm a bit old fashioned in I like to meet people out and about. Sadly it seems to be you cannot talk to people without having your motives questioned though. Anyone else found this? Even just making small talk while waiting for a bus gets a death glare or a stare like I just asked some perverted question. :wacko:

Am an old fashinoned kind of guy so online dating is something which i can never consider. There are a lot of people out there with ill motives so you can't be sure if you're chatting with a guy or a lady. I prefer meeting someone over coffee and having a warm, intimate conversation. Call me old fashioned but i think face to face meetings can never have an alternative.

I haven't been in online dating but I have tinder in my phone. In my opinion quite awesome application to find new interesting people to meet.

I've done a lot of online dating, and it has worked well for me. I'm very much an introvert and find it much easier to meet people online and get to know them through text before actually having to meet up and get to know them.

Reactions: Tuebec
Knitmebikey, that makes a lot of sense. I have anxiety, so I know working to find people online is often a lot less scary for me, and easier to withdraw from when I needed alone time. :)

Tuebec said:
Knitmebikey, that makes a lot of sense. I have anxiety, so I know working to find people online is often a lot less scary for me, and easier to withdraw from when I needed alone time. :)
I suffer from anxiety too and while I feel a little like the same, I think that I get it more when online.

I'm trying to get the better over it but there are some good days as well as some bad days.

As soon as the quarantine started, I was too bored, I actually registered on this is an online Dating site. For me, this was not quite usual, but I liked the fact that you can choose a partner based on your interests. I think this is very correct and convenient, you do not waste time determining whether you are suitable for each other.

Introverts, anxiety, personality issues? Yeah, sounds like somebody a young bachelor/ette might want to meet.

I've always thought having to hide your personality and problems behind a screen is silly.

Reactions: Germanrazor
I'm a bit long in the tooth but I did do online dating after I split with my wife.

Here are my main takeaways:

There are nice people on there but there are fakes as well. If it looks too good to be true then it is.

It largely doesn't matter what your profile is because most people won't ever read it. They just scan pictures - your looks count for pretty much everything.

People suffer from the grass is greener syndrome. There are so many people they always keep looking for another one.

I did the scanning thing too. I eventually decided if somehow all the women I have ever known in my life were posted, I might have contacted one or maybe two of them. There isn't much chance to get to know someone and like their style / personality when all that matters is the picture.

Most people ignore you if you write to them, but a few will write back to say thanks but no thanks. I was never sure what to do when someone contacted me that I had no interest in. I sometimes wrote back because I think that's the right thing to do but sometimes I didn't - not that there were many contacting me in the first place.

If you are an attractive female you will be swamped with contacts.

Some people put up pictures of when they were younger. I met one women who must have been 10 or more years older than her picture - I didn't like that.

You need a thick skin.

I eventually gave up because I didn't like the effect it was having on me. I figured I'd meet someone in the real world or I'd be happy on my own.

Oh, and one other thing. Some people don't post their photos and will send them to you if you want. I can think of some reasons for that but it's a bit awkward if they aren't especially appealing because they would be expecting you to contact them back after getting their pics.

Overall, it was worth it to see what it's like. I'd say give it a try.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr. Beanz
I'm a bit long in the tooth but I did do online dating after I split with my wife.

Here are my main takeaways:

There are nice people on there but there are fakes as well. If it looks too good to be true then it is.

Good points!

Heck, on instagram I get a ton of fakes. I get supposedly female types sending me messages. Some ask for money and some for gift cards. Uh no thanks. I actually delete new followers, especially women with sexy pics and posted all that day ha ha! Dead give away. Also blank accounts, why do I want to deal with fake people or those too scared to reveal their real identities. I like real people only and have only 26 maybe. I have deleted maybe 200 people that follow me. I am public but don't want a big number of empty accounts that mean nothing.

I had a friend who recently joined a couple of dating sites. Widower about 58 years old. He went all out buying new outfits, nice stuff but in the end, they were flops. One lady he went with lasted 10 minutes. Really sucked after a 2 hour drive and spending about $200 on a new outfit. Heck, I'd go in my sweat shorts and a t shirt ha ha! Not really but I wouldn't spend that much on a blind date.

As far as female posters? OK, I love to play the guitar and not really all that good. I have never been a musical person, almost tone deaf it that is a real thing. I've read debates, exists or not? So anyway, I could not whistle a tune that anyone could recognize growing up. So learning to do something on a guitar was a challenge and very rewarding though I am not that good. Tons of excellent musicians on the net.

But I think some of my tunes don't sound monstrously terrible so it's fun. But if I post a video, I may get 20 views. More than likely my brother watching to see how it sounds, maybe 15 are his view counts ha ha!

But put a gal in a tank top on a bed playing a terrible out of tune song, and she will get 20,000 likes.

Matter of fact, I see some posters here with sexy women in their avatars with female names and think, REALLY?!?! :D

I hate responding to them but I will like a post in the ride today thread just because they made an effort to type 5 words. But I really don't believe they are female at all. Especially with a low post count like 3. :p

While I've never used these services because I think my wife might frown on it...anyway, I do know 2 men who have used Eharmony and both found their wife from that, and both are extremely happy couples. The first guy went on 3 dates and the third date was the last one, they got married about 3 months after meeting each other, and he was willing to move to where she lived. Unfortunately, this friend died about 7 years after they got married, she was devasted, she loved him far more than her first husband.

The second guy had one, dare I say criminal date? She called him, and they set up a date, only she called back later when he was on his way to see her to have him meet her at an airport due to not having enough money? Obviously, he turned the car around and when home. He also went through about 7 or 8 dates before he met the woman of his dreams. They lived sort of close to each other so they compromised, he moved halfway to her and she moved the other half to him, this worked out for their jobs, they both went from 5-mile commutes to 40-mile commute and they're both ok with it.

I don't know anyone who has tried the others, but Eharmony seems to have the best reputation on the internet as well, and it does seem very effective if you want a wife.

If my wife were to die and was still young enough to consider marriage again, would I choose Eharmony? Sure, but only after I exhausted my other sources first; my first friend never tried other sources just went straight to Eharmony; the second friend tried all sorts of sources/connections he had and went on many dates but nothing panned out so he turned to Eharmony. Also, I would not consider moving to where she lives, I have grandkids here, I also have a business here, so the combined problems of those two things would prevent me from moving, so she would have to be the one to move to where I'm at, so that could eliminate some if not a lot of choices.