Everest Tonight on BBC4

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Paul Saunders, Dec 21, 2004.

  1. Tags:

  2. John Laird

    John Laird Guest

    On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 19:37:33 -0000, "Paul Saunders"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >BBC4 9:50pm Everest: Getting to the Bottom of the Mountain. With
    >Bonington, Scott and Messner.

    I would've thought any fule could get to the bottom of the mountain ;-)

    Well spotted - the BBC3&4 listings in most papers are hidden away, squashed
    up and well-nigh unreadable.

    --
    Just an amoeba in the Petri dish of life...

    Mail john rather than nospam...

  3. John Laird wrote:

    >> BBC4 9:50pm Everest: Getting to the Bottom of the Mountain. With
    >> Bonington, Scott and Messner.

    > I would've thought any fule could get to the bottom of the mountain
    > ;-)

    LOL! But that's not really what it's about, is it?

    > Well spotted - the BBC3&4 listings in most papers are hidden away,
    > squashed up and well-nigh unreadable.

    Well since getting Freeview not so long ago, BBC4 has become my
    favourite channel!

    Also, the new Radio Times layout has BBC3, BBC4, ITV2 and ITV3 on the
    same two pages as the five main channels.

    Anyway, it's just started...

    Paul
    --
    http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk

  4. Darren G

    Darren G Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, pvs1
    @wildwales.fsnet.co.uk says...
    > John Laird wrote:
    >
    > >> BBC4 9:50pm Everest: Getting to the Bottom of the Mountain. With
    > >> Bonington, Scott and Messner.

    > > I would've thought any fule could get to the bottom of the mountain
    > > ;-)

    > LOL! But that's not really what it's about, is it?
    >
    > > Well spotted - the BBC3&4 listings in most papers are hidden away,
    > > squashed up and well-nigh unreadable.

    > Well since getting Freeview not so long ago, BBC4 has become my
    > favourite channel!
    >
    > Also, the new Radio Times layout has BBC3, BBC4, ITV2 and ITV3 on the
    > same two pages as the five main channels.
    >
    > Anyway, it's just started...

    bugger. that probably means that I have just missed it :-(

    --
    Darren

  5. John Laird

    John Laird Guest

    On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 21:52:47 -0000, "Paul Saunders"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >John Laird wrote:
    >
    >>> BBC4 9:50pm Everest: Getting to the Bottom of the Mountain. With
    >>> Bonington, Scott and Messner.

    >> I would've thought any fule could get to the bottom of the mountain
    >> ;-)

    >LOL! But that's not really what it's about, is it?

    The pun didn't entirely pass me by ;-)

    >> Well spotted - the BBC3&4 listings in most papers are hidden away,
    >> squashed up and well-nigh unreadable.

    >Well since getting Freeview not so long ago, BBC4 has become my
    >favourite channel!
    >
    >Also, the new Radio Times layout has BBC3, BBC4, ITV2 and ITV3 on the
    >same two pages as the five main channels.

    I'm too mean to pay for that in addition to my daily paper. Even the
    weekend listings "magazine" hides them away. And ITV3 hasn't actually
    registered with them...

    >Anyway, it's just started...

    No, it's just finished. Looked vaguely familiar - either a repeat or some
    segments had appeared in earlier programmes, possibly around the 50th
    anniversary.

    --
    Don't play stupid with me... I'm better at it!

    Mail john rather than nospam...

  6. John Laird <[email protected]> writes
    >On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 21:52:47 -0000, "Paul Saunders"
    >>
    >>Also, the new Radio Times layout has BBC3, BBC4, ITV2 and ITV3 on the
    >>same two pages as the five main channels.

    >I'm too mean to pay for that in addition to my daily paper. Even the
    >weekend listings "magazine" hides them away. And ITV3 hasn't actually
    >registered with them...

    I pay about 7 quid a year for Digiguide, which displays all the
    channels of you choice for about two weeks ahead, cheaper than buying a
    weekend paper every week.
    --
    Gordon Harris

  7. The Reids

    The Reids Guest

    Following up to Paul Saunders

    >Well since getting Freeview not so long ago, BBC4 has become my
    >favourite channel!

    that sounds as if its , er, free?
    --
    Mike Reid
    Wasdale-Thames path-London-photos "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" <-- you can email [email protected] this site

  8. The Reids

    The Reids Guest

    Following up to Gordon Harris

    >I pay about 7 quid a year for Digiguide, which displays all the
    >channels of you choice for about two weeks ahead, cheaper than buying a
    >weekend paper every week.

    me too, but I haven't set up a flag that picked up that
    programme.:-(
    --
    Mike Reid
    Wasdale-Thames path-London-photos "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" <-- you can email [email protected] this site
    Eat-walk-Spain "http://www.fell-walker.co.uk" <-- [email protected] all, it's a spamtrap

  9. John Laird

    John Laird Guest

    On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 00:56:27 +0000, Gordon Harris <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >John Laird <[email protected]> writes
    >>On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 21:52:47 -0000, "Paul Saunders"
    >>>
    >>>Also, the new Radio Times layout has BBC3, BBC4, ITV2 and ITV3 on the
    >>>same two pages as the five main channels.

    >>I'm too mean to pay for that in addition to my daily paper. Even the
    >>weekend listings "magazine" hides them away. And ITV3 hasn't actually
    >>registered with them...
    >>

    >I pay about 7 quid a year for Digiguide, which displays all the
    >channels of you choice for about two weeks ahead, cheaper than buying a
    >weekend paper every week.

    I'll look into that, thanks.

    --
    Never appeal to his better nature. He may not have one.

    Mail john rather than nospam...

  10. Lakeuk

    Lakeuk Guest

    John Laird wrote:
    > I'm too mean to pay for that in addition to my daily paper. Even the
    > weekend listings "magazine" hides them away. And ITV3 hasn't

    actually
    > registered with them...

    Check out the XMLTV format for storing tv listings, I've written a tv
    guide that uses XMLTV files, available at the link at the bottom.

    To get the XMLTV listing file, download the XMLTV grabber from
    www.xmltv.org (direct link
    http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=39046) and follow
    the instructions in the supplied README file to configure the channels
    you want to grab.

    The XMLTV grabber gives you a choice of 2 uk feeds to use radiotimes or
    bleb.
    radiotimes have kindly provide 14 day tv listings feed free for
    personal use,
    bleb feeds provide upto 7 days of TV and Radio (bbc radio) listings.

    Dave
    XMLTV Offline TV Guide - Now/Next, Favourites, Listings, Grids
    http://www25.brinkster.com/lakeuk/xmltv/xmltv.htm

  11. Phil Cook

    Phil Cook Guest

    On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 10:06:19 +0000, The Reids wrote:

    >Following up to Gordon Harris
    >
    >>I pay about 7 quid a year for Digiguide, which displays all the
    >>channels of you choice for about two weeks ahead, cheaper than buying a
    >>weekend paper every week.

    >me too, but I haven't set up a flag that picked up that
    >programme.:-(

    You need to do a periodic search for "mountain," can you set an
    automatic flag up for that?

  12. The Reids

    The Reids Guest

    Following up to Phil Cook

    >>me too, but I haven't set up a flag that picked up that
    >>programme.:-(

    >You need to do a periodic search for "mountain," can you set an
    >automatic flag up for that?

    It has EITHER OR type logic but its surprised what old rubbish
    can get flagged by one word, mountain biking or food mountain or
    a mountain of email for instance!

    I have:-
    "mountaineering" OR "hillwalking" OR "rockclimbing"

    which missed it.
    --
    Mike Reid
    Wasdale-Thames path-London-photos "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" <-- you can email [email protected] this site
    Eat-walk-Spain "http://www.fell-walker.co.uk" <-- [email protected] all, it's a spamtrap

  13. The Reids <[email protected]> writes
    >Following up to Gordon Harris
    >
    >>I pay about 7 quid a year for Digiguide, which displays all the
    >>channels of you choice for about two weeks ahead, cheaper than buying a
    >>weekend paper every week.

    >me too, but I haven't set up a flag that picked up that
    >programme.:-(

    "Mountain" picks up most of that kind of stuff. :)
    --
    Gordon Harris

  14. Peewiglet

    Peewiglet Guest

    On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 15:19:58 +0000, The Reids
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    [...]
    >I have:-
    >"mountaineering" OR "hillwalking" OR "rockclimbing"

    Um... no "gear"??

    (Weird... some people!)

    :)

    (709...)

    Best wishes,
    --
    ,,
    (**)PeeWiglet~~

  15. John Laird wrote:

    >> Also, the new Radio Times layout has BBC3, BBC4, ITV2 and ITV3 on the
    >> same two pages as the five main channels.

    > I'm too mean to pay for that in addition to my daily paper.

    I like RT. They actually give useful information about most of the
    programmes.

    > Even the
    > weekend listings "magazine" hides them away. And ITV3 hasn't actually
    > registered with them...

    You're not missing anything. In fact, I haven't yet seen a single
    programme worth watching on it.

    >> Anyway, it's just started...

    > No, it's just finished. Looked vaguely familiar - either a repeat or
    > some segments had appeared in earlier programmes, possibly around the
    > 50th anniversary.

    Well I hadn't seen it before.

    Paul
    --

  16. The Reids wrote:

    >> Well since getting Freeview not so long ago, BBC4 has become my
    >> favourite channel!

    > that sounds as if its , er, free?

    The box isn't, but the channels are, i.e. no subscription. Haven't you
    got Freeview? Or have you got satellite? You don't need one if you've
    got satellite, Freeview is for people too stingy to pay for satellite.

    Paul
    --
    http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk

  17. John Laird

    John Laird Guest

    On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 01:02:36 -0000, "Paul Saunders"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >John Laird wrote:
    >
    >>> Also, the new Radio Times layout has BBC3, BBC4, ITV2 and ITV3 on the
    >>> same two pages as the five main channels.

    >> I'm too mean to pay for that in addition to my daily paper.

    >I like RT. They actually give useful information about most of the
    >programmes.

    I know, but I'm only paying £1.50/wk for 7 newspapers. The RT looks a bit
    of a luxury on top, which is why I stopped it a while ago (probably at the
    same time I cancelled our ITVDigital sub).

    >> Even the
    >> weekend listings "magazine" hides them away. And ITV3 hasn't actually
    >> registered with them...

    >You're not missing anything. In fact, I haven't yet seen a single
    >programme worth watching on it.

    It's not that bad ;-)

    >>> Anyway, it's just started...

    >> No, it's just finished. Looked vaguely familiar - either a repeat or
    >> some segments had appeared in earlier programmes, possibly around the
    >> 50th anniversary.

    >Well I hadn't seen it before.

    I definitely remembered the historian interviews, and the shot of the Sherpa
    weeping at the memorial to his lost friends.

    --
    She kept saying I didn't listen to her, or something.

    Mail john rather than nospam...

  18. John Laird

    John Laird Guest

    On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 01:04:23 -0000, "Paul Saunders"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Freeview is for people too stingy to pay for satellite.

    s/stingy/sensible/

    :)

    --
    Operator!.. Trace this call and tell me where I am.

    Mail john rather than nospam...

  19. John Laird

    John Laird Guest

    On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 09:32:49 +0000, Simon Caldwell
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On 22 Dec 2004 04:20:31 -0800, "Lakeuk" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>Check out the XMLTV format for storing tv listings, I've written a tv
    >>guide that uses XMLTV files, available at the link at the bottom.

    >Looks interesting. But a little lacking in punter-friendly
    >instructions, ie I failed :)

    I've been in IT for 20-odd years (not all pointing and clicking) and it had
    that effect on me too !

    --
    Talk is cheap, because supply exceeds demand.

    Mail john rather than nospam...