Everest Tonight on BBC4

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 19:37:33 -0000, "Paul Saunders"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>BBC4 9:50pm Everest: Getting to the Bottom of the Mountain. With
>Bonington, Scott and Messner.

I would've thought any fule could get to the bottom of the mountain ;-)

Well spotted - the BBC3&4 listings in most papers are hidden away, squashed
up and well-nigh unreadable.

--
Just an amoeba in the Petri dish of life...

Mail john rather than nospam...

John Laird wrote:

>> BBC4 9:50pm Everest: Getting to the Bottom of the Mountain. With
>> Bonington, Scott and Messner.

> I would've thought any fule could get to the bottom of the mountain
> ;-)

LOL! But that's not really what it's about, is it?

> Well spotted - the BBC3&4 listings in most papers are hidden away,
> squashed up and well-nigh unreadable.

Well since getting Freeview not so long ago, BBC4 has become my
favourite channel!

Also, the new Radio Times layout has BBC3, BBC4, ITV2 and ITV3 on the
same two pages as the five main channels.

Anyway, it's just started...

Paul
--
http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk

In article <[email protected]>, pvs1
@wildwales.fsnet.co.uk says...
> John Laird wrote:
>
> >> BBC4 9:50pm Everest: Getting to the Bottom of the Mountain. With
> >> Bonington, Scott and Messner.

> > I would've thought any fule could get to the bottom of the mountain
> > ;-)

> LOL! But that's not really what it's about, is it?
>
> > Well spotted - the BBC3&4 listings in most papers are hidden away,
> > squashed up and well-nigh unreadable.

> Well since getting Freeview not so long ago, BBC4 has become my
> favourite channel!
>
> Also, the new Radio Times layout has BBC3, BBC4, ITV2 and ITV3 on the
> same two pages as the five main channels.
>
> Anyway, it's just started...

bugger. that probably means that I have just missed it :-(

--
Darren

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 21:52:47 -0000, "Paul Saunders"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>John Laird wrote:
>
>>> BBC4 9:50pm Everest: Getting to the Bottom of the Mountain. With
>>> Bonington, Scott and Messner.

>> I would've thought any fule could get to the bottom of the mountain
>> ;-)

>LOL! But that's not really what it's about, is it?

The pun didn't entirely pass me by ;-)

>> Well spotted - the BBC3&4 listings in most papers are hidden away,
>> squashed up and well-nigh unreadable.

>Well since getting Freeview not so long ago, BBC4 has become my
>favourite channel!
>
>Also, the new Radio Times layout has BBC3, BBC4, ITV2 and ITV3 on the
>same two pages as the five main channels.

I'm too mean to pay for that in addition to my daily paper. Even the
weekend listings "magazine" hides them away. And ITV3 hasn't actually
registered with them...

>Anyway, it's just started...

No, it's just finished. Looked vaguely familiar - either a repeat or some
segments had appeared in earlier programmes, possibly around the 50th
anniversary.

--
Don't play stupid with me... I'm better at it!

Mail john rather than nospam...

John Laird <[email protected]> writes
>On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 21:52:47 -0000, "Paul Saunders"
>>
>>Also, the new Radio Times layout has BBC3, BBC4, ITV2 and ITV3 on the
>>same two pages as the five main channels.

>I'm too mean to pay for that in addition to my daily paper. Even the
>weekend listings "magazine" hides them away. And ITV3 hasn't actually
>registered with them...

I pay about 7 quid a year for Digiguide, which displays all the
channels of you choice for about two weeks ahead, cheaper than buying a
weekend paper every week.
--
Gordon Harris

Following up to Paul Saunders

>Well since getting Freeview not so long ago, BBC4 has become my
>favourite channel!

that sounds as if its , er, free?
--
Mike Reid
Wasdale-Thames path-London-photos "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" <-- you can email us@ this site

Following up to Gordon Harris

>I pay about 7 quid a year for Digiguide, which displays all the
>channels of you choice for about two weeks ahead, cheaper than buying a
>weekend paper every week.

me too, but I haven't set up a flag that picked up that
programme.:-(
--
Mike Reid
Wasdale-Thames path-London-photos "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" <-- you can email us@ this site
Eat-walk-Spain "http://www.fell-walker.co.uk" <-- dontuse@ all, it's a spamtrap

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 00:56:27 +0000, Gordon Harris <[email protected]>
wrote:

>John Laird <[email protected]> writes
>>On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 21:52:47 -0000, "Paul Saunders"
>>>
>>>Also, the new Radio Times layout has BBC3, BBC4, ITV2 and ITV3 on the
>>>same two pages as the five main channels.

>>I'm too mean to pay for that in addition to my daily paper. Even the
>>weekend listings "magazine" hides them away. And ITV3 hasn't actually
>>registered with them...
>>

>I pay about 7 quid a year for Digiguide, which displays all the
>channels of you choice for about two weeks ahead, cheaper than buying a
>weekend paper every week.

I'll look into that, thanks.

--
Never appeal to his better nature. He may not have one.

John Laird wrote:
> I'm too mean to pay for that in addition to my daily paper. Even the
> weekend listings "magazine" hides them away. And ITV3 hasn't

actually
> registered with them...

Check out the XMLTV format for storing tv listings, I've written a tv
guide that uses XMLTV files, available at the link at the bottom.

To get the XMLTV listing file, download the XMLTV grabber from
www.xmltv.org (direct link
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=39046) and follow
the instructions in the supplied README file to configure the channels
you want to grab.

The XMLTV grabber gives you a choice of 2 uk feeds to use radiotimes or
bleb.
radiotimes have kindly provide 14 day tv listings feed free for
personal use,
bleb feeds provide upto 7 days of TV and Radio (bbc radio) listings.

Dave
XMLTV Offline TV Guide - Now/Next, Favourites, Listings, Grids
http://www25.brinkster.com/lakeuk/xmltv/xmltv.htm

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 10:06:19 +0000, The Reids wrote:

>Following up to Gordon Harris
>
>>I pay about 7 quid a year for Digiguide, which displays all the
>>channels of you choice for about two weeks ahead, cheaper than buying a
>>weekend paper every week.

>me too, but I haven't set up a flag that picked up that
>programme.:-(

You need to do a periodic search for "mountain," can you set an
automatic flag up for that?

Following up to Phil Cook

>>me too, but I haven't set up a flag that picked up that
>>programme.:-(

>You need to do a periodic search for "mountain," can you set an
>automatic flag up for that?

It has EITHER OR type logic but its surprised what old rubbish
can get flagged by one word, mountain biking or food mountain or
a mountain of email for instance!

I have:-
"mountaineering" OR "hillwalking" OR "rockclimbing"

which missed it.
--
Mike Reid
Wasdale-Thames path-London-photos "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" <-- you can email us@ this site
Eat-walk-Spain "http://www.fell-walker.co.uk" <-- dontuse@ all, it's a spamtrap

The Reids <[email protected]> writes
>Following up to Gordon Harris
>
>>I pay about 7 quid a year for Digiguide, which displays all the
>>channels of you choice for about two weeks ahead, cheaper than buying a
>>weekend paper every week.

>me too, but I haven't set up a flag that picked up that
>programme.:-(

"Mountain" picks up most of that kind of stuff. :)
--
Gordon Harris

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 15:19:58 +0000, The Reids
<[email protected]> wrote:

[...]
>I have:-
>"mountaineering" OR "hillwalking" OR "rockclimbing"

Um... no "gear"??

(Weird... some people!)

:)

(709...)

Best wishes,
--
,,
(**)PeeWiglet~~

John Laird wrote:

>> Also, the new Radio Times layout has BBC3, BBC4, ITV2 and ITV3 on the
>> same two pages as the five main channels.

> I'm too mean to pay for that in addition to my daily paper.

I like RT. They actually give useful information about most of the
programmes.

> Even the
> weekend listings "magazine" hides them away. And ITV3 hasn't actually
> registered with them...

You're not missing anything. In fact, I haven't yet seen a single
programme worth watching on it.

>> Anyway, it's just started...

> No, it's just finished. Looked vaguely familiar - either a repeat or
> some segments had appeared in earlier programmes, possibly around the
> 50th anniversary.

Well I hadn't seen it before.

Paul
--

The Reids wrote:

>> Well since getting Freeview not so long ago, BBC4 has become my
>> favourite channel!

> that sounds as if its , er, free?

The box isn't, but the channels are, i.e. no subscription. Haven't you
got Freeview? Or have you got satellite? You don't need one if you've
got satellite, Freeview is for people too stingy to pay for satellite.

Paul
--
http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 01:02:36 -0000, "Paul Saunders"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>John Laird wrote:
>
>>> Also, the new Radio Times layout has BBC3, BBC4, ITV2 and ITV3 on the
>>> same two pages as the five main channels.

>> I'm too mean to pay for that in addition to my daily paper.

>I like RT. They actually give useful information about most of the
>programmes.

I know, but I'm only paying £1.50/wk for 7 newspapers. The RT looks a bit
of a luxury on top, which is why I stopped it a while ago (probably at the
same time I cancelled our ITVDigital sub).

>> Even the
>> weekend listings "magazine" hides them away. And ITV3 hasn't actually
>> registered with them...

>You're not missing anything. In fact, I haven't yet seen a single
>programme worth watching on it.

It's not that bad ;-)

>>> Anyway, it's just started...

>> No, it's just finished. Looked vaguely familiar - either a repeat or
>> some segments had appeared in earlier programmes, possibly around the
>> 50th anniversary.

>Well I hadn't seen it before.

I definitely remembered the historian interviews, and the shot of the Sherpa
weeping at the memorial to his lost friends.

--
She kept saying I didn't listen to her, or something.

Mail john rather than nospam...

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 01:04:23 -0000, "Paul Saunders"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Freeview is for people too stingy to pay for satellite.

s/stingy/sensible/

:)

--
Operator!.. Trace this call and tell me where I am.

Mail john rather than nospam...

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 09:32:49 +0000, Simon Caldwell
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On 22 Dec 2004 04:20:31 -0800, "Lakeuk" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>Check out the XMLTV format for storing tv listings, I've written a tv
>>guide that uses XMLTV files, available at the link at the bottom.

>Looks interesting. But a little lacking in punter-friendly
>instructions, ie I failed :)

I've been in IT for 20-odd years (not all pointing and clicking) and it had
that effect on me too !

--
Talk is cheap, because supply exceeds demand.

Mail john rather than nospam...