Everybody should have one

Huw Pritchard

Guest
I've bought a small electrical item that makes a buzzing sound, and it's made me extremely happy.

I am, of course, referring to an ultrasonic bath. My chain, cassette, an old rear mech and a
teaspoon are now sparkling clean, with no tedious farting about with a toothbrush.

Yay!

--
Huw "Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz" Pritchard

"Huw Pritchard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I've bought a small electrical item that makes a buzzing sound, and it's made me extremely happy.
>
> I am, of course, referring to an ultrasonic bath. My chain, cassette, an old rear mech and a
> teaspoon are now sparkling clean, with no tedious farting about with a toothbrush.
>
> Yay!
>
> --
> Huw "Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz" Pritchard

Which one and $ ?
--
Slacker

On Sat, 03 May 2003 19:25:50 +0100, "Huw Pritchard" <[email protected]> wrote:

|I've bought a small electrical item that makes a buzzing sound, and it's |made me extremely happy.
|
|I am, of course, referring to an ultrasonic bath. My chain, cassette, an |old rear mech and a
teaspoon are now sparkling clean, with no tedious |farting about with a toothbrush.

People actually clean their chain, cassette, and deraileurs?

Amazing.

Huw Pritchard wrote:
> I've bought a small electrical item that makes a buzzing sound, and it's made me extremely happy.
>
> I am, of course, referring to an ultrasonic bath. My chain, cassette, an old rear mech and a
> teaspoon are now sparkling clean, with no tedious farting about with a toothbrush.

I have one... love it! a solution of 10% simple green and water and a few minutes in the bath is
all it takes.

P e t e F a g e r l i n <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sat, 03 May 2003 19:25:50 +0100, "Huw Pritchard" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> |I've bought a small electrical item that makes a buzzing sound, and it's |made me
> extremely happy.
> |
> |I am, of course, referring to an ultrasonic bath. My chain, cassette, an |old rear mech and a
> teaspoon are now sparkling clean, with no tedious |farting about with a toothbrush.
>
> People actually clean their chain, cassette, and deraileurs?
>
> Amazing.
All the major chain manufacturers recommend that you not soak chains as the grease/lube within the
links is stripped and increases wear.

> P e t e F a g e r l i n <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > On Sat, 03 May 2003 19:25:50 +0100, "Huw Pritchard" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > |I've bought a small electrical item that makes a buzzing sound, and it's |made me extremely
> > happy.
> > |
> > |I am, of course, referring to an ultrasonic bath. My chain, cassette, an |old rear mech and a
> > teaspoon are now sparkling clean, with no tedious |farting about with a toothbrush.
> >
> > People actually clean their chain, cassette, and deraileurs?
> >
> > Amazing.
> All the major chain manufacturers recommend that you not soak chains as the grease/lube within the
> links is stripped and increases wear.

So re-lube them.

~Travis
--
travis57 at megalink dot net

travis5765.homelinux.net, Primary Administrator TF Custom Electronics, Owner/Founder/Developer

| In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
| >
| > P e t e F a g e r l i n <[email protected]> wrote in message
| > news:[email protected]...

| > > |
| > > toothbrush.
| > >
| > > People actually clean their chain, cassette, and deraileurs?
| > >
| > > Amazing.
| > All the major chain manufacturers recommend that you not soak chains as
the
| > grease/lube within the links is stripped and increases wear.
| >

| So re-lube them.

<opens up the instruction sheet from a SRAM PC-58 chain>

No mention is made against soaking the chain, though it does say not to use acidic degreasers (note:
the USAF now prohibits the use of Simple Green on airframes.)

I soak chains in Agitene, then rinse in very hot water (Agitene water-solublizes grease) then let it
air dry. Then I soak the chain liberally with Pro-Link and let it dry, wiping it before
installation. No worries.

---
http://intergalax.com

Release Date: 4/24/2003

On Sat, 03 May 2003 15:29:32 -0400, ClydesdaleMTB <[email protected]> wrote:

>I have one... love it! a solution of 10% simple green and water and a few minutes in the bath is
>all it takes.

Simple Green, the name says it all.

Bill(always 100% strength)Wheeler. The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as
a reflector, that is, the mind should give an immediate view instead of an interpretation of
the world.
:-]

"Nelson Binch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> No mention is made against soaking the chain, though it does say not to use acidic degreasers
> (note: the USAF now prohibits the use of Simple Green on airframes.)

<<< from http://www.simplegreen.com/faq.html >>> "Aircraft Cleaning with Simple Green or Crystal
Simple Green Many private and commercial aircraft owners and operators have cleaned their craft with
All Purpose Simple Green or Crystal Simple Green for many years. However, these products do not have
Mil-Prf (military testing) authority. The testing involves very long (168 hours in one test) soaking
of various metals in the solution and then a corrosion inspection. If an aircraft owner only wants
to use mil-prf approved products; he will not want to use Simple Green. Please see the additional
information under "Aluminum".

Aluminum - Is it safe to use Simple Green on aluminum? Simple Green products have been
successfully and safely used on aircraft, automotive, industrial and consumer aluminum items for
over 20 years. However, caution and common sense must be used: Aluminum is a soft metal that
easily corrodes with unprotected exposure to water. The aqueous-base and alkalinity of Simple
Green or Crystal Simple Green can accelerate the corrosion process. Therefore, contact times of
All Purpose Simple Green and Crystal Simple Green with unprotected or unpainted aluminum surfaces
should be kept as brief as the job will allow - never for more than 10 minutes. Large cleaning
jobs should be conducted in smaller-area stages to achieve lower contact time. Rinsing after
cleaning should always be extremely thorough - paying special attention to flush out cracks and
crevices to remove all Simple Green/Crystal Simple Green residues. Unfinished, uncoated or
unpainted aluminum cleaned with Simple Green products should receive some sort of protectant after
cleaning to prevent oxidation." <<<end>>>

The stuff is not good for aluminum or for that matter some other metal coatings. We used to sell
some similar general purpose type of cleaner at work, but have since sold that side of the
business.....we're an Aerospace company. Anyway, I took a couple dozen gallons of our cleaner home
to use on my bike. It stripped any coating that was on the aluminun and started to strip the coating
off my King headset. Needless to say, the only thing I'm using that stuff on is concrete, carpet and
my kitchen/bathroom floor.
--
Slacker

> "Technician" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> | In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
> | >
> | > P e t e F a g e r l i n <[email protected]> wrote in message
> | > news:[email protected]...

> it's
> | > > |
> cassette, an

> | > All the major chain manufacturers recommend that you not soak chains as
> the
> | > grease/lube within the links is stripped and increases wear.
> | >

> | So re-lube them.
>
> <opens up the instruction sheet from a SRAM PC-58 chain>
>
> No mention is made against soaking the chain, though it does say not to use acidic degreasers
> (note: the USAF now prohibits the use of Simple Green on airframes.)
>
> I soak chains in Agitene, then rinse in very hot water (Agitene water-solublizes grease) then let
> it air dry. Then I soak the chain liberally with Pro-Link and let it dry, wiping it before
> installation. No worries.
>

> ---
> __o _`\(,_ Cycling is life, (_)/ (_) all the rest, just details. Nelson Binch =^o.o^=
> http://intergalax.com

> - Release Date: 4/24/2003

I use a different (and probably wrong) method. I soak the chain in gasoline to dissolve the grease
and oil, i then rinse it with hot water, and dry it with acetone (the chain is all metal, no rubber
o-rings). i then use 3-in-1 to lube it (it works, and it's cheap).

~Travis
--
travis57 at megalink dot net

Personal Website: http://www.megalink.net/~farmers/ travis5765.homelinux.net, Primary Administrator
TF Custom Electronics, Owner/Founder/Developer (current project: Automotive exhaust flame-thrower)

| In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
| >
| > "Technician" <[email protected]> wrote in message
| > news:[email protected]...
| > | In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...

| > it's
| > | > > |
| > cassette, an

| > the

| > |
| > | So re-lube them.
| >
| > <opens up the instruction sheet from a SRAM PC-58 chain>
| >
| > No mention is made against soaking the chain, though it does say not to
use
| > acidic degreasers (note: the USAF now prohibits the use of Simple Green
on
| > airframes.)
| >
| > I soak chains in Agitene, then rinse in very hot water (Agitene water-solublizes grease) then
| > let it air dry. Then I soak the chain liberally with Pro-Link and let it dry, wiping it before
| > installation.
No
| > worries.
| >

| > ---
| > __o _`\(,_ Cycling is life, (_)/ (_) all the rest, just details. Nelson Binch =^o.o^=
| > http://intergalax.com

| > 273 - Release Date: 4/24/2003
| >

| I use a different (and probably wrong) method. I soak the chain in gasoline to dissolve the grease
| and oil, i then rinse it with hot water, and dry it with acetone (the chain is all metal, no
| rubber o-rings). i then use 3-in-1 to lube it (it works, and it's cheap).

Pro-link is roughly twice the price of 3-in-1, but you use less than half as much, so the cost is a
wash. Instead, you get a material that binds with the metal, protecting it far better than any
household oil, so it lasts longer, and the chain lasts longer. A distributor's rep gave me a quarter
bottle to try once and he hooked me for life.

Cleaning with gasoline is dumb. You're better off just going straight to the acetone. Agitene is
cheap, reusable (I have a 5 gallon bucket and take it out in a plastic bowl for soaking, then pour
it back. Solids settle to the bottom of the bucket (This is the stuff we used in the parts washer at
the store) One bucket will last a home mechanic FOREVER! It has a MUCH higher flash-point than gas,
so it is very safe. The only drawback is it takes the oils out of your skin, drying it badly (my
hands would get like sandpaper at the store.)

see http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/start.shtml and punch agitene into the search field.

---
http://intergalax.com

Release Date: 4/24/2003

> with no tedious farting about with a toothbrush.

Toothbrushes do an excellent farting job.

I've retired so I've got time to spare testing these methods. My best technique for removing grit
and **** from the rollers is two old toothbrushes, bristles facing bristles with the bodies taped
together, dipped in degreaser and rubbed backwards forwards and up down. A single brush does the
jockey wheels.

Mmmm just checked - I've got 11 spare brushes for the future, does this qualify as 'compulsive
cleaning behaviour' ? Mike

Taywood wrote:
>>with no tedious farting about with a toothbrush.
>

> Toothbrushes do an excellent farting job.
>
> I've retired so I've got time to spare testing these methods. My best technique for removing grit
> and **** from the rollers is two old toothbrushes, bristles facing bristles with the bodies taped
> together, dipped in degreaser and rubbed backwards forwards and up down. A single brush does the
> jockey wheels.
>
> Mmmm just checked - I've got 11 spare brushes for the future, does this qualify as 'compulsive
> cleaning behaviour' ?

only if you use them on your teeth after chain-cleaning

Taywood wrote:
>>with no tedious farting about with a toothbrush.
>

> Toothbrushes do an excellent farting job.
>
> I've retired so I've got time to spare testing these methods. My best technique for removing grit
> and **** from the rollers is two old toothbrushes, bristles facing bristles with the bodies taped
> together, dipped in degreaser and rubbed backwards forwards and up down. A single brush does the
> jockey wheels.
>
> Mmmm just checked - I've got 11 spare brushes for the future, does this qualify as 'compulsive
> cleaning behaviour' ? Mike

If you want to get really fancy, use your ultrasonic toothbrush.

Jon Bond

"Nelson Binch" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:b93amk$f6vim$1@ID> |

> Cleaning with gasoline is dumb. You're better off just going straight to the acetone. Agitene is
> cheap, reusable (I have a 5 gallon bucket and
take
> it out in a plastic bowl for soaking, then pour it back. Solids settle to the bottom of the bucket
> (This is the stuff we used in the parts washer at the store) One bucket will last a home mechanic
> FOREVER! It has a MUCH higher flash-point than gas, so it is very safe. The only drawback is it
> takes the oils out of your skin, drying it badly (my hands would get like sandpaper at the store.)
>
> see http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/start.shtml and punch agitene
into
> the search field.

No thanks, after reading the MSDS on that stuff, I'll stick to dishwashing liquid.

> Taywood wrote:
> >>with no tedious farting about with a toothbrush.
> >

> > Toothbrushes do an excellent farting job.
> >
> > I've retired so I've got time to spare testing these methods. My best technique for removing
> > grit and **** from the rollers is two old toothbrushes, bristles facing bristles with the bodies
> > taped together, dipped in degreaser and rubbed backwards forwards and up down. A single brush
> > does the jockey wheels.
> >
> > Mmmm just checked - I've got 11 spare brushes for the future, does this qualify as 'compulsive
> > cleaning behaviour' ? Mike
>

> If you want to get really fancy, use your ultrasonic toothbrush.
>
> Jon Bond

Some of "us" can't afford that, Prince ;^ 0
--
Slacker

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...

> Taywood wrote:
> >>with no tedious farting about with a toothbrush.
> >

> > Toothbrushes do an excellent farting job.
> >
> > I've retired so I've got time to spare testing these methods. My best technique for removing
> > grit and **** from the rollers is two old toothbrushes, bristles facing bristles with the bodies
> > taped together, dipped in degreaser and rubbed backwards forwards and up down. A single brush
> > does the jockey wheels.
> >
> > Mmmm just checked - I've got 11 spare brushes for the future, does this qualify as 'compulsive
> > cleaning behaviour' ? Mike
>

> If you want to get really fancy, use your ultrasonic toothbrush.
>
> Jon Bond

Does a Spin-Brush count?
--
travis57 at megalink dot net

http://www.megalink.net/~farmers/mtty.mp3

Huw Pritchard wrote:
> I've bought a small electrical item that makes a buzzing sound, and it's made me extremely happy.
>
> I am, of course, referring to an ultrasonic bath. My chain, cassette, an old rear mech and a
> teaspoon are now sparkling clean, with no tedious farting about with a toothbrush.
>
> Yay!

You know that if you wipe off all the excess lube after lubing the chain hardly picks up anything
and it's the lube on the inside that matters anyway. My regiment consists of knocking off the big
stuff with a dry brush, lube as necessary, and replace once a year or when it breaks.