Evidence of Health effects of amalgam

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by Peter Moran, Apr 3, 2004.

  1. Peter Moran

    Peter Moran Guest

    Just to bury a somewhat smelly old dead horse---- (Jan has a
    habit of eternally resurrecting what she thinks is
    unfinished business)

    "Jan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    m12.aol.com...

    > >You are the one posting material about the "widespread
    > >and serious" effects of mercury in amalgams,
    >
    > W R O N G! You are making up things. I have never claimed
    > any *widespread* serious effects.

    I did not say you claimed it directly, I said you posted
    material claiming
    it.

    > >Yet some
    > >> of the sillier elements of "alternative" medicine claim
    > >> to have noted a sudden epidemic of florid mercury
    > >> poisoning from amalgams (on no real evidence )..
    > >>
    > Cite please.
    >
    > >I know there are none, and
    > >> that moreover a great many studies have gave failed to
    > >> show any
    difference
    > >> in the health of those with and without amalgams.
    >
    > Can you back up your claims or not???? Either do so and
    > don't make false claims.
    >
    > Jan

    I am very aware that this is a tactic designed to obscure
    Jan's inability to produce scientific evidence for overt
    mercury poisoning in those with amalgam dental fillings.

    But yes, she did post material about the "widespread and
    serious" effects of amalgams. Here is Jan's post and an
    extract from the material it refers to.

    "Jan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    m27.aol.com...
    > http://www.home.earthlink.net/~berniew1/dentpap.html
    >
    > Documented High Mercury Exposure Levels from Amalgam and
    > Adverse Health
    Effects

    The extract----

    >Many of those researching amalgam related health effects
    >including several very prominent scientists >have concluded
    >that the health effects are *widespread and serious* so
    >that mercury should not be used >as a filling material
    >(14,18,19,99,182,183, 209). At least 2 states, California
    >and Maine, have passed >laws requiring dentists to warn
    >patients about the dangers of use of amalgam in dentistry,
    >and many >other countries have such warnings. <my emphasis>

    Peter Moran

    Tags:

  2. Jan

    Jan Guest

    >Subject: Evidence of Health effects of amalgam From: "Peter
    >Moran" [email protected] Date: 4/3/2004 2:47 PM Pacific
    >Standard Time Message-id: <[email protected]
    >02.brisbane.pipenetworks.com.au>
    >
    >Just to bury a somewhat smelly old dead horse---- (Jan has
    >a habit of eternally resurrecting what she thinks is
    >unfinished business)
    >
    >"Jan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    >m12.aol.com...
    >>
    >> >You are the one posting material about the "widespread
    >> >and serious" effects of mercury in amalgams,
    >>
    >> W R O N G! You are making up things. I have never claimed
    >> any *widespread* serious effects.
    >
    >I did not say you claimed it directly, I said you posted
    >material claiming
    >it.

    Some Ph.D chemists who have researched it, yes.

    >>Yet some

    > Cite please.

    HELLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

    Cite please.

    >I know there are none, and
    >difference

    >Can you back up your claims or not???? Either do so and
    >don't make false
    >> claims.
    >>
    >> Jan

    >I am very aware that this is a tactic designed to obscure
    >Jan's inability to produce scientific evidence for overt
    >mercury poisoning in those with amalgam dental fillings.

    Well, no it is an honest question, please back up your
    claims or don't make them. In fact you are now doing the
    tactic dance. Let's back up.

    Here's a space for your great many studies..

    Furthermore you just lied, AGAIN, as I have posted
    scientific evidence over and over and over.

    >But yes, she did post material about the "widespread and
    >serious" effects of amalgams. Here is Jan's post and an
    >extract from the material it refers to.

    >"Jan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    >m27.aol.com...
    >> http://www.home.earthlink.net/~berniew1/dentpap.html

    >> Documented High Mercury Exposure Levels from Amalgam and
    >> Adverse Health
    Effects

    > Let's see if this is *direct* enough for Peter Moran

    >The extract----
    >
    >>Many of those researching amalgam related health effects
    >>including several very prominent scientists >have
    >>concluded that the health effects are *widespread and
    >>serious* so that mercury should not be used >as a filling
    >>material (14,18,19,99,182,183, 209).

    >At least 2 states, California and
    >>Maine, have passed >laws requiring dentists to warn
    >>patients about the dangers of use of amalgam in dentistry,
    >>and many >other countries have such warnings. <my
    >>emphasis>
    >
    >Peter Moran

    Yep, and the only point you wish to cover is the widespread
    and serious??

    Did you read the what the prominent scientists had to say??

    Now, we are ready for your great many studies.

    Next, we will once again go over a very few abstracts with
    scientific evidence of mercury poisoning in those with
    dental amalgams.

    http://tinyurl.com/3bp8f

    1: Adv Dent Res. 1992 Sep;6:110-3. Related Articles, Links

    Side-effects: mercury contribution to body burden from
    dental amalgam.

    Reinhardt JW.

    Department of Operative Dentistry, University of Iowa
    College of Dentistry, Iowa City 52242.

    The purpose of this paper is to examine and report on
    studies that relate mercury levels in human tissues to the
    presence of dental amalgams, giving special attention to
    autopsy studies. Until recently, there have been few
    published studies examining the relationship between
    dental amalgams and tissue mercury levels. Improved and
    highly sensitive tissue analysis techniques have made it
    possible to measure elements in the concentration range of
    parts per billion. The fact that mercury can be absorbed
    and reach toxic levels in human tissues makes any and all
    exposure to that element of scientific interest. Dental
    amalgams have long been believed to be of little
    significance as contributors to the overall body burden of
    mercury, because the elemental form of mercury is rapidly
    consumed in the setting reaction of the restoration.
    Studies showing measurable elemental mercury vapor release
    from dental amalgams have raised renewed concern about
    amalgam safety. Mercury vapor absorption occurs through
    the lungs, with about 80% of the inhaled vapor being
    absorbed by the lungs and rapidly entering the
    bloodstream. Following distribution by blood circulation,
    mercury can enter and remain in certain tissues for longer
    periods of time, since the half-life of excretion is
    prolonged. Two of the primary target organs of concern are
    the central nervous system and kidneys.

    Publication Types: Review Review, Tutorial PMID: 1292449
    [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

    http://tinyurl.com/2ld6k

    J Alzheimers Dis. 2003 Jun;5(3):189-95. Related
    Articles, Links

    Apolipoprotein E genotyping as a potential biomarker for
    mercury neurotoxicity.

    Godfrey ME, Wojcik DP, Krone CA.

    Bay of Plenty Environmental Health Clinic, Tauranga, New
    Zealand. [email protected]

    Apolipoprotein-E (apo-E) genotyping has been investigated as
    an indicator of susceptibility to heavy metal (i.e., lead)
    neurotoxicity. Moreover, the apo-E epsilon (epsilon)4 allele
    is a major risk factor for neurodegenerative conditions,
    including Alzheimer's disease (AD). A theoretical
    biochemical basis for this risk factor is discussed herein,
    supported by data from 400 patients with presumptive mercury-
    related neuro-psychiatric symptoms and in whom apo-E
    determinations were made. A statistically relevant shift
    toward the at-risk apo-E epsilon4 groups was found in the
    patients p<0.001). The patients possessed a mean of 13.7
    dental amalgam fillings and 31.5 amalgam surfaces. This far
    exceeds the number capable of producing the maximum
    identified tolerable daily intake of mercury from amalgam.
    The clinical diagnosis and proof of chronic low-level
    mercury toxicity has been difficult due to the non-specific
    nature of the symptoms and signs. Dental amalgam is the
    greatest source of mercury in the general population and
    brain, blood and urine mercury levels increase
    correspondingly with the number of amalgams and amalgam
    surfaces in the mouth. Confirmation of an elevated body
    burden of mercury can be made by measuring urinary mercury,
    after provocation with 2,3,-dimercapto-propane sulfonate
    (DMPS) and this was measured in 150 patients. Apo-E
    genotyping warrants investigation as a clinically useful
    biomarker for those at increased risk of neuropathology,
    including AD, when subjected to long-term mercury exposures.
    Additionally, when clinical findings suggest adverse effects
    of chronic mercury exposure, a DMPS urine mercury challenge
    appears to be a simple, inexpensive procedure that provides
    objective confirmatory evidence. An opportunity could now
    exist for primary health practitioners to help identify
    those at greater risk and possibly forestall subsequent
    neurological deterioration.

    PMID: 12897404 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

    http://tinyurl.com/2h6y4

    Altern Med Rev. 2000 Jun;5(3):209-23. Related
    Articles, Links

    Environmental medicine, part three: long-term effects of
    chronic low-dose mercury exposure.

    Crinnion WJ.

    Healing Naturally, 11811 NE 128th St., Suite 202, Kirkland,
    WA 98034, USA.

    Mercury is ubiquitous in the environment, and in our mouths
    in the form of "silver" amalgams. Once introduced to the
    body through food or vapor, mercury is rapidly absorbed and
    accumulates in several tissues, leading to increased
    oxidative damage, mitochondrial dysfunction, and cell death.
    Mercury primarily affects neurological tissue, resulting in
    numerous neurological symptoms, and also affects the kidneys
    and the immune system. It causes increased production of
    free radicals and decreases the availability of
    antioxidants. It also has devastating effects on the
    glutathione content of the body, giving rise to the
    possibility of increased retention of other environmental
    toxins. Fortunately, effective tests are available to help
    distinguish those individuals who are excessively burdened
    with mercury, and to monitor them during treatment.
    Therapies for assisting the reduction of a mercury load
    include the use of 2,3-dimercaptosuccinic acid (DMSA) and
    2,3-dimercato-1-propanesulfonic acid (DMPS). Additional
    supplementation to assist in the removal of mercury and to
    reduce its adverse effects is discussed.

    Publication Types: Review Review, Tutorial PMID: 10869102
    [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

    http://tinyurl.com/2gnwl

    : Br Dent J. 1997 May 24;182(10):373-81. Related
    : Articles, Links

    The future of dental amalgam: a review of the literature.
    Part 4: Mercury exposure hazards and risk assessment.

    Eley BM.

    Periodontal Department, King's College School of Medicine &
    Dentistry, London.

    This is the fourth article in a series of seven on the
    future of dental amalgam. It first describes toxic mercury
    hazards from all sources of exposure including dental
    amalgam. It begins by considering the many problems in
    accurately estimating daily mercury intakes from these
    sources. It then describes potential mercury hazards to
    industrial workers and the calculation of thresholds for the
    general public from industrial data. The implications of
    these findings to the production of a safe threshold for
    patients with dental amalgams are then discussed. It finally
    discusses the attempts which have been made to carry out a
    risk assessment of dental amalgam. In this connection it
    reports the reviews of the United States Public Health
    Service in 1993, the Swedish National Board of Health and
    Welfare in 1994 and the risk assessment commissioned from
    Canada Health which was reported in 1995. It also includes
    comments on the methods used in this last report.

    Publication Types: Review Review, Tutorial PMID: 9185355
    [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

    http://tinyurl.com/yuj39

    Acupunct Electrother Res. 1996 Apr-Jun;21(2):133-60. Related
    Articles, Links

    Significant mercury deposits in internal organs following
    the removal of dental amalgam, & development of pre-
    cancer on the gingiva and the sides of the tongue and
    their represented organs as a result of inadvertent
    exposure to strong curing light (used to solidify
    synthetic dental filling material) & effective treatment:
    a clinical case report, along with organ representation
    areas for each tooth.

    http://tinyurl.com/2gnwl

    2: Br J Dermatol. 1996 Mar;134(3):420-3. Related
    Articles, Links

    The relevance and effect of amalgam replacement in subjects
    with oral lichenoid reactions.

    Ibbotson SH, Speight EL, Macleod RI, Smart ER, Lawrence CM.

    Department of Dermatology, Royal Victoria Infirmary,
    Newcastle upon Tyne, U.K.

    In this study we examined the prevalence of mercury
    hypersensitivity in patients with oral lichenoid reactions
    (OLR) and the effect of amalgam replacement in subjects with
    amalgams adjacent to OLR irrespective of their mercury
    sensitivity status. One hundred and ninety-seven patients
    with oral problems were examined: 109 with OLR, 22 with oral
    and generalized lichen planus, and 66 with other oral
    diagnoses, including aphthous ulcers and orofacial
    granulomatosis. Nineteen per cent of patients with OLR
    reacted to mercury on patch testing, significantly more than
    in those with generalized lichen planus (0%) and in those
    with other oral diagnoses (3%). Twenty-two patients with OLR
    and adjacent amalgams had amalgam replacement and, in 16 of
    17 mercury-positive subjects and three of four mercury-
    negative subjects, the OLR resolved after amalgam removal.
    In conclusion, we found a significantly increased prevalence
    of mercury hypersensitivity in patients with localized OLR
    in comparison to subjects with other oral problems. Amalgam
    replacement resulted in resolution of OLR in the majority of
    patients with amalgams adjacent to OLR irrespective of their
    mercury sensitivity status.

    PMID: 8731663 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

    This one for Rich Andrews

    http://tinyurl.com/2dp6g
    3: Psychol Rep. 1992 Jun;70(3 Pt 2):1139-51. Related
    Articles, Links

    A comparison of mental health of multiple sclerosis
    patients with silver/mercury dental fillings and those with
    fillings removed.

    Siblerud RL.

    Rocky Mountain Research Institute, Inc., Colorado.

    In this study was compared the mental health status of 47
    multiple sclerosis patients with silver/mercury tooth
    fillings (amalgams) to that of 50 patients with their
    fillings removed. On the Beck Depression Inventory the
    multiple sclerosis subjects with amalgams suffered
    significantly more depression while their scores on the State-
    Trait Anger Expression Inventory indicated the former group
    also exhibited significantly more anger. On the SCL-90
    Revised, subjects with amalgam fillings had significantly
    more symptoms of depression, hostility, psychotism, and were
    more obsessive-compulsive than the patients with such
    fillings removed. On a questionnaire containing 18 mental
    health symptoms multiple sclerosis subjects with amalgam
    fillings reported a history of 43% more symptoms than those
    without amalgam fillings over the past 12 months. These data
    suggested that the poorer mental health status exhibited by
    multiple sclerosis subjects with dental amalgam fillings may
    be associated with mercury toxicity from the amalgam.

    PMID: 1496084 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

    http://tinyurl.com/2ukse

    : Am J Psychother. 1989 Oct;43(4):575-87. Related
    : Articles, Links

    The relationship between mercury from dental amalgam and
    mental health.

    Siblerud RL.

    Colorado State University, Department of Physiology,
    Fort Collins.

    The findings presented here suggest that mercury poisoning
    from dental amalgam may play a role in the etiology of
    mental illness. Comparisons between subjects with and
    without amalgam showed significant differences in subjective
    reports of mental health. Subjects who had amalgams removed
    reported that symptoms of mental illness lessened or
    disappeared after removal. The data suggest that inorganic
    mercury poisoning from dental amalgam does affect the mind
    and emotions.

    PMID: 2618948 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

  3. Jan

    Jan Guest

    http://www.testfoundation.org/amalgampage.htm

    Somewhere is reading this site today, I ran across this:

    It is estimated that the average individual, with eight biting-
    surface mercury fillings, is exposed to a daily dose uptake
    of approximately 10 micrograms mercury per day from dental
    fillings.19 Select individuals may have daily doses 10 times
    higher (100 micrograms per day) because of factors which
    exacerbate the mercury vaporization. Some of these factors
    are: frequency of eating, chronic gum chewing, chronic tooth
    grinding behavior (usually during sleep), the chewing
    pattern of the individual, consumption of hot foods and
    drinks, mouth and food acidity.16 Corroborating human
    autopsy evidence20-22 showed that brain and kidney tissues
    contained significantly higher mercury in individuals who
    had mercury fillings. Furthermore, the concentration of
    brain mercury in the subjects with mercury fillings
    correlated with the number of these fillings present.

    Jan

  4. Peter Moran

    Peter Moran Guest

    "Jan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > >Subject: Evidence of Health effects of amalgam From:
    > >"Peter Moran" [email protected] Date: 4/3/2004 2:47 PM
    > >Pacific Standard Time Message-id:
    >
    ><[email protected]
    >02.brisbane.pipenetworks.com.
    au>

    > >Just to bury a somewhat smelly old dead horse---- (Jan
    > >has a habit of eternally resurrecting what she thinks is
    > >unfinished business)
    > >
    > >"Jan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > >m12.aol.com...

    > >> W R O N G! You are making up things. I have never
    > >> claimed any
    *widespread*
    > >> serious effects.
    > >
    > >I did not say you claimed it directly, I said you posted
    > >material
    claiming
    > >it.
    >
    > Some Ph.D chemists who have researched it, yes.
    >
    > >>Yet some
    noted a
    real

    > > Cite please.
    >
    > HELLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
    >
    > Cite please.

    I pointed out to you in an earlier post that that judgement
    is based upon the material that you post here all the time.
    That is my cite.

    > >I know there are none, and
    > >difference
    >
    > >Can you back up your claims or not???? Either do so and
    > >don't make false
    > >> claims.
    > >>
    > >> Jan
    >
    > >I am very aware that this is a tactic designed to obscure
    > >Jan's inability
    > >produce scientific evidence for overt mercury poisoning
    > >in those with amalgam dental fillings.
    >
    > Well, no it is an honest question, please back up your
    > claims or don't
    make
    > them. In fact you are now doing the tactic dance. Let's
    > back up.
    >
    > Here's a space for your great many studies..

    Do a Medline search on mercury, amalgams, yourself.

    > Furthermore you just lied, AGAIN, as I have posted
    > scientific evidence
    over and
    > over and over.
    >
    > >But yes, she did post material about the "widespread and
    > >serious"
    effects
    > >of amalgams. Here is Jan's post and an extract from the
    > >material it refers to.
    >
    > >"Jan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > >m27.aol.com...
    > >> http://www.home.earthlink.net/~berniew1/dentpap.html
    >
    > >> Documented High Mercury Exposure Levels from Amalgam
    > >> and Adverse Health
    > Effects
    > >>

    > > Let's see if this is *direct* enough for Peter Moran
    >
    > >The extract----
    > >
    > >>Many of those researching amalgam related health effects
    > >>including
    several
    > >>very prominent scientists >have concluded that the
    > >>health effects are *widespread and serious* so that
    > >>mercury should not be used >as a
    filling
    > >>material (14,18,19,99,182,183, 209).
    >
    > >At least 2 states, California and
    > >>Maine, have passed >laws requiring dentists to warn
    > >>patients about the dangers of use of amalgam in
    > >>dentistry, and many >other countries have
    such
    > >>warnings. <my emphasis>
    > >
    > >Peter Moran
    >
    > Yep, and the only point you wish to cover is the
    > widespread and serious??
    >
    > Did you read the what the prominent scientists had
    > to say??

    I have already responded in detail to this.

    > Now, we are ready for your great many studies.
    >
    > Next, we will once again go over a very few abstracts with
    > scientific
    evidence
    > of mercury poisoning in those with dental amalgams.
    >

    > http://tinyurl.com/3bp8f
    >
    > 1: Adv Dent Res. 1992 Sep;6:110-3. Related Articles, Links
    >
    > Side-effects: mercury contribution to body burden from
    > dental amalgam.
    >
    > Reinhardt JW.
    >
    > Department of Operative Dentistry, University of Iowa
    > College of
    Dentistry,
    > Iowa City 52242.
    >
    > The purpose of this paper is to examine and report on
    > studies that relate mercury levels in human tissues to the
    > presence of dental amalgams, giving special attention to
    > autopsy studies. Until recently, there have been few
    > published studies examining the relationship between
    > dental amalgams and
    tissue
    > mercury levels. Improved and highly sensitive tissue
    > analysis techniques
    have
    > made it possible to measure elements in the concentration
    > range of parts
    per
    > billion. The fact that mercury can be absorbed and reach
    > toxic levels in
    human
    > tissues makes any and all exposure to that element of
    > scientific interest. Dental amalgams have long been
    > believed to be of little significance as contributors to
    > the overall body burden of mercury, because the elemental
    form
    > of mercury is rapidly consumed in the setting reaction of
    > the restoration. Studies showing measurable elemental
    > mercury vapor release from dental
    amalgams
    > have raised renewed concern about amalgam safety. Mercury
    > vapor absorption occurs through the lungs, with about 80%
    > of the inhaled vapor being
    absorbed by
    > the lungs and rapidly entering the bloodstream. Following
    > distribution by
    blood
    > circulation, mercury can enter and remain in certain
    > tissues for longer
    periods
    > of time, since the half-life of excretion is prolonged.
    > Two of the primary target organs of concern are the
    > central nervous system and kidneys.
    >
    > Publication Types:

    Where does this show that the added burden from mercury is
    casuing illness?

> [...]
    > of an elevated body burden of mercury
    can
    > be made by measuring urinary mercury, after provocation
    > with 2,3,-dimercapto-propane sulfonate (DMPS) and this was
    > measured in 150
    patients.
    > Apo-E genotyping warrants investigation as a clinically
    > useful biomarker
    for
    > those at increased risk of neuropathology, including AD,
    > when subjected to long-term mercury exposures.
    > Additionally, when clinical findings suggest adverse
    > effects of chronic mercury exposure, a DMPS urine mercury
    challenge
    > appears to be a simple, inexpensive procedure that
    > provides objective confirmatory evidence. An opportunity
    > could now exist for primary health practitioners to help
    > identify those at greater risk and possibly

    This is from a quack clinic which asssumes that mercury
    toxicity is prevalent, but produces no evidence that
    that is so.

    > PMID: 12897404 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
    >

    > http://tinyurl.com/2h6y4
    >
    > Altern Med Rev. 2000 Jun;5(3):209-23. Related
    > Articles, Links
    >
    > Environmental medicine, part three: long-term effects of
    > chronic low-dose mercury exposure.
    >
    > Crinnion WJ.
    >
    > Healing Naturally, 11811 NE 128th St., Suite 202,
    > Kirkland, WA 98034, USA.
    >
    > Mercury is ubiquitous in the environment, and in our
    > mouths in the form of "silver" amalgams. Once introduced
    > to the body through food or vapor,
    mercury
    > is rapidly absorbed and accumulates in several tissues,
    > leading to
    increased
    > oxidative damage, mitochondrial dysfunction, and cell
    > death. Mercury
    primarily
    > affects neurological tissue, resulting in numerous
    > neurological symptoms,
    and
    > also affects the kidneys and the immune system. It causes
    > increased
    production
    > of free radicals and decreases the availability of
    > antioxidants. It also
    has
    > devastating effects on the glutathione content of the
    > body, giving rise to
    the
    > possibility of increased retention of other
    > environmental toxins.
    Fortunately,
    > effective tests are available to help distinguish those
    > individuals who
    are
    > excessively burdened with mercury, and to monitor them
    > during treatment. Therapies for assisting the reduction of
    > a mercury load include the use of 2,3-dimercaptosuccinic
    > acid (DMSA) and 2,3-dimercato-1-propanesulfonic
    acid
    > (DMPS). Additional supplementation to assist in the
    > removal of mercury and
    > reduce its adverse effects is discussed.

    This is also from a quack source, and produces no evidence
    for mercury toxicity.

    > Publication Types: Review Review, Tutorial PMID: 10869102
    > [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
    >

    > http://tinyurl.com/2gnwl
    >
    > : Br Dent J. 1997 May 24;182(10):373-81. Related
    > : Articles, Links
    >
    > The future of dental amalgam: a review of the literature.
    > Part 4: Mercury exposure hazards and risk assessment.
    >
    > Eley BM.
    >
    > Periodontal Department, King's College School of Medicine
    > & Dentistry,
    London.

    > This is the fourth article in a series of seven on the
    > future of dental amalgam. It first describes toxic mercury
    > hazards from all sources of
    exposure
    > including dental amalgam. It begins by considering the
    > many problems in accurately estimating daily mercury
    > intakes from these sources. It then describes potential
    > mercury hazards to industrial workers and the
    calculation
    > of thresholds for the general public from industrial
    > data. The
    implications of
    > these findings to the production of a safe threshold for
    > patients with
    dental
    > amalgams are then discussed. It finally discusses the
    > attempts which have
    been
    > made to carry out a risk assessment of dental amalgam. In
    > this connection
    it
    > reports the reviews of the United States Public Health
    > Service in 1993,
    the
    > Swedish National Board of Health and Welfare in 1994 and
    > the risk
    assessment
    > commissioned from Canada Health which was reported in
    > 1995. It also
    includes
    > comments on the methods used in this last report.

    This says nothing about health effects form amalgams.

    > Publication Types: Review Review, Tutorial PMID: 9185355
    > [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
    >

    > http://tinyurl.com/yuj39
    >
    > Acupunct Electrother Res. 1996 Apr-Jun;21(2):133-60.
    > Related Articles,
    Links

    > Significant mercury deposits in internal organs following
    > the removal of
    dental
    > amalgam, & development of pre-cancer on the gingiva and
    > the sides of the
    tongue
    > and their represented organs as a result of inadvertent
    > exposure to strong curing light (used to solidify
    > synthetic dental filling material) &
    effective
    > treatment: a clinical case report, along with organ
    > representation areas
    for
    > each tooth.

    What does this say, Jan? Also from a quack journal.

    > http://tinyurl.com/2gnwl
    >
    > 1: Br J Dermatol. 1996 Mar;134(3):420-3. Related Articles,
    > Links
    >
    > The relevance and effect of amalgam replacement in
    > subjects with oral
    lichenoid
    > reactions.
    >
    > Ibbotson SH, Speight EL, Macleod RI, Smart ER,
    > Lawrence CM.
    >
    > Department of Dermatology, Royal Victoria Infirmary,
    > Newcastle upon Tyne,
    U.K.

    > In this study we examined the prevalence of mercury
    > hypersensitivity in patients with oral lichenoid reactions
    > (OLR) and the effect of amalgam replacement in subjects
    > with amalgams adjacent to OLR irrespective of
    their
    > mercury sensitivity status. One hundred and ninety-seven
    > patients with
    oral
    > problems were examined: 109 with OLR, 22 with oral
    > and generalized lichen planus, and 66 with other oral
    > diagnoses, including aphthous ulcers and orofacial
    > granulomatosis. Nineteen per cent of patients with
    > OLR reacted
    > mercury on patch testing, significantly more than in
    > those with
    generalized
    > lichen planus (0%) and in those with other oral diagnoses
    > (3%). Twenty-two patients with OLR and adjacent amalgams
    > had amalgam replacement and, in 16
    of
    > 17 mercury-positive subjects and three of four mercury-
    > negative subjects,
    the
    > OLR resolved after amalgam removal. In conclusion,
    > we found a
    significantly
    > increased prevalence of mercury hypersensitivity in
    > patients with
    localized OLR
    > in comparison to subjects with other oral problems.
    > Amalgam replacement resulted in resolution of OLR in the
    > majority of patients with amalgams adjacent to OLR
    > irrespective of their mercury sensitivity status.

    Such sensitivity has nothing to do with mercury
    poisoning and is as likely to occur with any other
    chemical dentalk filling.

    > PMID: 8731663 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
    >
    > This one for Rich Andrews
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/2dp6g
    > 1: Psychol Rep. 1992 Jun;70(3 Pt 2):1139-51. Related
    > Articles, Links
    >
    > A comparison of mental health of multiple sclerosis
    > patients with silver/mercury dental fillings and those
    > with fillings removed.
    >
    > Siblerud RL.
    >
    > Rocky Mountain Research Institute, Inc., Colorado.
    >
    > In this study was compared the mental health status of 47
    > multiple
    sclerosis
    > patients with silver/mercury tooth fillings (amalgams) to
    > that of 50
    patients
    > with their fillings removed. On the Beck Depression
    > Inventory the multiple sclerosis subjects with amalgams
    > suffered significantly more depression
    while
    > their scores on the State-Trait Anger Expression Inventory
    > indicated the
    former
    > group also exhibited significantly more anger. On the SCL-
    > 90 Revised,
    subjects
    > with amalgam fillings had significantly more symptoms of
    > depression,
    hostility,
    > psychotism, and were more obsessive-compulsive than the
    > patients with such fillings removed. On a questionnaire
    > containing 18 mental health symptoms multiple sclerosis
    > subjects with amalgam fillings reported a history of
    43%
    > more symptoms than those without amalgam fillings over the
    > past 12 months. These data suggested that the poorer
    > mental health status exhibited by
    multiple
    > sclerosis subjects with dental amalgam fillings may be
    > associated with
    mercury
    > toxicity from the amalgam.

    The detail of this study is important, as poor blinding
    may lead those still with amalgams to report poorer
    health status. The reuslts certainly conflist with a lot
    of other data,

    > PMID: 1496084 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
    >

    > http://tinyurl.com/2ukse
    >
    > : Am J Psychother. 1989 Oct;43(4):575-87. Related
    > : Articles, Links
    >
    > The relationship between mercury from dental amalgam and
    > mental health.
    >
    > Siblerud RL.
    >
    > Colorado State University, Department of Physiology, Fort
    > Collins.
    >
    > The findings presented here suggest that mercury poisoning
    > from dental
    amalgam
    > may play a role in the etiology of mental illness.
    > Comparisons between
    subjects
    > with and without amalgam showed significant differences in
    > subjective
    reports
    > of mental health. Subjects who had amalgams removed
    > reported that symptoms
    of
    > mental illness lessened or disappeared after removal. The
    > data suggest
    that
    > inorganic mercury poisoning from dental amalgam does
    > affect the mind and emotions.

    Not a controlled study. It is to be expected that those who
    have gone to the trouble to have amalgams removed wiill not
    say they have gone through it for nothing.

    Peter Moran