Evidence of Health effects of amalgam

Peter Moran

Guest
Just to bury a somewhat smelly old dead horse---- (Jan has a
habit of eternally resurrecting what she thinks is
unfinished business)

"Jan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:20040402195445.27990.00000577@mb-
m12.aol.com...

> >You are the one posting material about the "widespread
> >and serious" effects of mercury in amalgams,
>
> W R O N G! You are making up things. I have never claimed
> any *widespread* serious effects.

I did not say you claimed it directly, I said you posted
material claiming
it.

> >Yet some
> >> of the sillier elements of "alternative" medicine claim
> >> to have noted a sudden epidemic of florid mercury
> >> poisoning from amalgams (on no real evidence )..
> >>
> Cite please.
>
> >I know there are none, and
> >> that moreover a great many studies have gave failed to
> >> show any
difference
> >> in the health of those with and without amalgams.
>
> Can you back up your claims or not???? Either do so and
> don't make false claims.
>
> Jan

I am very aware that this is a tactic designed to obscure
Jan's inability to produce scientific evidence for overt
mercury poisoning in those with amalgam dental fillings.

But yes, she did post material about the "widespread and
serious" effects of amalgams. Here is Jan's post and an
extract from the material it refers to.

"Jan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:20040326002852.04378.00000109@mb-
m27.aol.com...
> http://www.home.earthlink.net/~berniew1/dentpap.html
>
> Documented High Mercury Exposure Levels from Amalgam and
> Adverse Health
Effects

The extract----

>Many of those researching amalgam related health effects
>including several very prominent scientists >have concluded
>that the health effects are *widespread and serious* so
>that mercury should not be used >as a filling material
>(14,18,19,99,182,183, 209). At least 2 states, California
>and Maine, have passed >laws requiring dentists to warn
>patients about the dangers of use of amalgam in dentistry,
>and many >other countries have such warnings. <my emphasis>

Peter Moran

>Subject: Evidence of Health effects of amalgam From: "Peter
>Moran" [email protected] Date: 4/3/2004 2:47 PM Pacific
>Standard Time Message-id: <406f3f0a$0$26953$61c65585@uq-127creek-reader-
>02.brisbane.pipenetworks.com.au>
>
>Just to bury a somewhat smelly old dead horse---- (Jan has
>a habit of eternally resurrecting what she thinks is
>unfinished business)
>
>"Jan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:20040402195445.27990.00000577@mb-
>m12.aol.com...
>>
>> >You are the one posting material about the "widespread
>> >and serious" effects of mercury in amalgams,
>>
>> W R O N G! You are making up things. I have never claimed
>> any *widespread* serious effects.
>
>I did not say you claimed it directly, I said you posted
>material claiming
>it.

Some Ph.D chemists who have researched it, yes.

>>Yet some

> Cite please.

HELLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Cite please.

>I know there are none, and
>difference

>Can you back up your claims or not???? Either do so and
>don't make false
>> claims.
>>
>> Jan

>I am very aware that this is a tactic designed to obscure
>Jan's inability to produce scientific evidence for overt
>mercury poisoning in those with amalgam dental fillings.

Well, no it is an honest question, please back up your
claims or don't make them. In fact you are now doing the
tactic dance. Let's back up.

Here's a space for your great many studies..

Furthermore you just lied, AGAIN, as I have posted
scientific evidence over and over and over.

>But yes, she did post material about the "widespread and
>serious" effects of amalgams. Here is Jan's post and an
>extract from the material it refers to.

>"Jan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:20040326002852.04378.00000109@mb-
>m27.aol.com...
>> http://www.home.earthlink.net/~berniew1/dentpap.html

>> Documented High Mercury Exposure Levels from Amalgam and
>> Adverse Health
Effects

> Let's see if this is *direct* enough for Peter Moran

>The extract----
>
>>Many of those researching amalgam related health effects
>>including several very prominent scientists >have
>>concluded that the health effects are *widespread and
>>serious* so that mercury should not be used >as a filling
>>material (14,18,19,99,182,183, 209).

>At least 2 states, California and
>>Maine, have passed >laws requiring dentists to warn
>>patients about the dangers of use of amalgam in dentistry,
>>and many >other countries have such warnings. <my
>>emphasis>
>
>Peter Moran

Yep, and the only point you wish to cover is the widespread
and serious??

Did you read the what the prominent scientists had to say??

Now, we are ready for your great many studies.

Next, we will once again go over a very few abstracts with
scientific evidence of mercury poisoning in those with
dental amalgams.

http://tinyurl.com/3bp8f

1: Adv Dent Res. 1992 Sep;6:110-3. Related Articles, Links

Side-effects: mercury contribution to body burden from
dental amalgam.

Reinhardt JW.

Department of Operative Dentistry, University of Iowa
College of Dentistry, Iowa City 52242.

The purpose of this paper is to examine and report on
studies that relate mercury levels in human tissues to the
presence of dental amalgams, giving special attention to
autopsy studies. Until recently, there have been few
published studies examining the relationship between
dental amalgams and tissue mercury levels. Improved and
highly sensitive tissue analysis techniques have made it
possible to measure elements in the concentration range of
parts per billion. The fact that mercury can be absorbed
and reach toxic levels in human tissues makes any and all
exposure to that element of scientific interest. Dental
amalgams have long been believed to be of little
significance as contributors to the overall body burden of
mercury, because the elemental form of mercury is rapidly
consumed in the setting reaction of the restoration.
Studies showing measurable elemental mercury vapor release
from dental amalgams have raised renewed concern about
amalgam safety. Mercury vapor absorption occurs through
the lungs, with about 80% of the inhaled vapor being
absorbed by the lungs and rapidly entering the
bloodstream. Following distribution by blood circulation,
mercury can enter and remain in certain tissues for longer
periods of time, since the half-life of excretion is
prolonged. Two of the primary target organs of concern are
the central nervous system and kidneys.

Publication Types: Review Review, Tutorial PMID: 1292449
[PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

http://tinyurl.com/2ld6k

J Alzheimers Dis. 2003 Jun;5(3):189-95. Related
Articles, Links

Apolipoprotein E genotyping as a potential biomarker for
mercury neurotoxicity.

Godfrey ME, Wojcik DP, Krone CA.

Bay of Plenty Environmental Health Clinic, Tauranga, New
Zealand. [email protected]

Apolipoprotein-E (apo-E) genotyping has been investigated as
an indicator of susceptibility to heavy metal (i.e., lead)
neurotoxicity. Moreover, the apo-E epsilon (epsilon)4 allele
is a major risk factor for neurodegenerative conditions,
including Alzheimer's disease (AD). A theoretical
biochemical basis for this risk factor is discussed herein,
supported by data from 400 patients with presumptive mercury-
related neuro-psychiatric symptoms and in whom apo-E
determinations were made. A statistically relevant shift
toward the at-risk apo-E epsilon4 groups was found in the
patients p<0.001). The patients possessed a mean of 13.7
dental amalgam fillings and 31.5 amalgam surfaces. This far
exceeds the number capable of producing the maximum
identified tolerable daily intake of mercury from amalgam.
The clinical diagnosis and proof of chronic low-level
mercury toxicity has been difficult due to the non-specific
nature of the symptoms and signs. Dental amalgam is the
greatest source of mercury in the general population and
brain, blood and urine mercury levels increase
correspondingly with the number of amalgams and amalgam
surfaces in the mouth. Confirmation of an elevated body
burden of mercury can be made by measuring urinary mercury,
after provocation with 2,3,-dimercapto-propane sulfonate
(DMPS) and this was measured in 150 patients. Apo-E
genotyping warrants investigation as a clinically useful
biomarker for those at increased risk of neuropathology,
including AD, when subjected to long-term mercury exposures.
Additionally, when clinical findings suggest adverse effects
of chronic mercury exposure, a DMPS urine mercury challenge
appears to be a simple, inexpensive procedure that provides
objective confirmatory evidence. An opportunity could now
exist for primary health practitioners to help identify
those at greater risk and possibly forestall subsequent
neurological deterioration.

PMID: 12897404 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

http://tinyurl.com/2h6y4

Altern Med Rev. 2000 Jun;5(3):209-23. Related
Articles, Links

Environmental medicine, part three: long-term effects of
chronic low-dose mercury exposure.

Crinnion WJ.

Healing Naturally, 11811 NE 128th St., Suite 202, Kirkland,
WA 98034, USA.

Mercury is ubiquitous in the environment, and in our mouths
in the form of "silver" amalgams. Once introduced to the
body through food or vapor, mercury is rapidly absorbed and
accumulates in several tissues, leading to increased
oxidative damage, mitochondrial dysfunction, and cell death.
Mercury primarily affects neurological tissue, resulting in
numerous neurological symptoms, and also affects the kidneys
and the immune system. It causes increased production of
free radicals and decreases the availability of
antioxidants. It also has devastating effects on the
glutathione content of the body, giving rise to the
possibility of increased retention of other environmental
toxins. Fortunately, effective tests are available to help
distinguish those individuals who are excessively burdened
with mercury, and to monitor them during treatment.
Therapies for assisting the reduction of a mercury load
include the use of 2,3-dimercaptosuccinic acid (DMSA) and
2,3-dimercato-1-propanesulfonic acid (DMPS). Additional
supplementation to assist in the removal of mercury and to
reduce its adverse effects is discussed.

Publication Types: Review Review, Tutorial PMID: 10869102
[PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

http://tinyurl.com/2gnwl

: Br Dent J. 1997 May 24;182(10):373-81. Related
: Articles, Links

The future of dental amalgam: a review of the literature.
Part 4: Mercury exposure hazards and risk assessment.

Eley BM.

Periodontal Department, King's College School of Medicine &
Dentistry, London.

This is the fourth article in a series of seven on the
future of dental amalgam. It first describes toxic mercury
hazards from all sources of exposure including dental
amalgam. It begins by considering the many problems in
accurately estimating daily mercury intakes from these
sources. It then describes potential mercury hazards to
industrial workers and the calculation of thresholds for the
general public from industrial data. The implications of
these findings to the production of a safe threshold for
patients with dental amalgams are then discussed. It finally
discusses the attempts which have been made to carry out a
risk assessment of dental amalgam. In this connection it
reports the reviews of the United States Public Health
Service in 1993, the Swedish National Board of Health and
Welfare in 1994 and the risk assessment commissioned from
Canada Health which was reported in 1995. It also includes
comments on the methods used in this last report.

Publication Types: Review Review, Tutorial PMID: 9185355
[PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

http://tinyurl.com/yuj39

Acupunct Electrother Res. 1996 Apr-Jun;21(2):133-60. Related
Articles, Links

Significant mercury deposits in internal organs following
the removal of dental amalgam, & development of pre-
cancer on the gingiva and the sides of the tongue and
their represented organs as a result of inadvertent
exposure to strong curing light (used to solidify
synthetic dental filling material) & effective treatment:
a clinical case report, along with organ representation
areas for each tooth.

http://tinyurl.com/2gnwl

2: Br J Dermatol. 1996 Mar;134(3):420-3. Related
Articles, Links

The relevance and effect of amalgam replacement in subjects
with oral lichenoid reactions.

Ibbotson SH, Speight EL, Macleod RI, Smart ER, Lawrence CM.

Department of Dermatology, Royal Victoria Infirmary,
Newcastle upon Tyne, U.K.

In this study we examined the prevalence of mercury
hypersensitivity in patients with oral lichenoid reactions
(OLR) and the effect of amalgam replacement in subjects with
amalgams adjacent to OLR irrespective of their mercury
sensitivity status. One hundred and ninety-seven patients
with oral problems were examined: 109 with OLR, 22 with oral
and generalized lichen planus, and 66 with other oral
diagnoses, including aphthous ulcers and orofacial
granulomatosis. Nineteen per cent of patients with OLR
reacted to mercury on patch testing, significantly more than
in those with generalized lichen planus (0%) and in those
with other oral diagnoses (3%). Twenty-two patients with OLR
and adjacent amalgams had amalgam replacement and, in 16 of
17 mercury-positive subjects and three of four mercury-
negative subjects, the OLR resolved after amalgam removal.
In conclusion, we found a significantly increased prevalence
of mercury hypersensitivity in patients with localized OLR
in comparison to subjects with other oral problems. Amalgam
replacement resulted in resolution of OLR in the majority of
patients with amalgams adjacent to OLR irrespective of their
mercury sensitivity status.

PMID: 8731663 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

This one for Rich Andrews

http://tinyurl.com/2dp6g
3: Psychol Rep. 1992 Jun;70(3 Pt 2):1139-51. Related
Articles, Links

A comparison of mental health of multiple sclerosis
patients with silver/mercury dental fillings and those with
fillings removed.

Siblerud RL.

Rocky Mountain Research Institute, Inc., Colorado.

In this study was compared the mental health status of 47
multiple sclerosis patients with silver/mercury tooth
fillings (amalgams) to that of 50 patients with their
fillings removed. On the Beck Depression Inventory the
multiple sclerosis subjects with amalgams suffered
significantly more depression while their scores on the State-
Trait Anger Expression Inventory indicated the former group
also exhibited significantly more anger. On the SCL-90
Revised, subjects with amalgam fillings had significantly
more symptoms of depression, hostility, psychotism, and were
more obsessive-compulsive than the patients with such
fillings removed. On a questionnaire containing 18 mental
health symptoms multiple sclerosis subjects with amalgam
fillings reported a history of 43% more symptoms than those
without amalgam fillings over the past 12 months. These data
suggested that the poorer mental health status exhibited by
multiple sclerosis subjects with dental amalgam fillings may
be associated with mercury toxicity from the amalgam.

PMID: 1496084 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

http://tinyurl.com/2ukse

: Am J Psychother. 1989 Oct;43(4):575-87. Related
: Articles, Links

The relationship between mercury from dental amalgam and
mental health.

Siblerud RL.

Colorado State University, Department of Physiology,
Fort Collins.

The findings presented here suggest that mercury poisoning
from dental amalgam may play a role in the etiology of
mental illness. Comparisons between subjects with and
without amalgam showed significant differences in subjective
reports of mental health. Subjects who had amalgams removed
reported that symptoms of mental illness lessened or
disappeared after removal. The data suggest that inorganic
mercury poisoning from dental amalgam does affect the mind
and emotions.

PMID: 2618948 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

http://www.testfoundation.org/amalgampage.htm

Somewhere is reading this site today, I ran across this:

It is estimated that the average individual, with eight biting-
surface mercury fillings, is exposed to a daily dose uptake
of approximately 10 micrograms mercury per day from dental
fillings.19 Select individuals may have daily doses 10 times
higher (100 micrograms per day) because of factors which
exacerbate the mercury vaporization. Some of these factors
are: frequency of eating, chronic gum chewing, chronic tooth
grinding behavior (usually during sleep), the chewing
pattern of the individual, consumption of hot foods and
drinks, mouth and food acidity.16 Corroborating human
autopsy evidence20-22 showed that brain and kidney tissues
contained significantly higher mercury in individuals who
had mercury fillings. Furthermore, the concentration of
brain mercury in the subjects with mercury fillings
correlated with the number of these fillings present.

Jan

"Jan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> >Subject: Evidence of Health effects of amalgam From:
> >"Peter Moran" [email protected] Date: 4/3/2004 2:47 PM
> >Pacific Standard Time Message-id:
>
><406f3f0a$0$26953$61c65585@uq-127creek-reader-
>02.brisbane.pipenetworks.com.
au>

> >Just to bury a somewhat smelly old dead horse---- (Jan
> >has a habit of eternally resurrecting what she thinks is
> >unfinished business)
> >
> >"Jan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:20040402195445.27990.00000577@mb-
> >m12.aol.com...

> >> W R O N G! You are making up things. I have never
> >> claimed any
*widespread*
> >> serious effects.
> >
> >I did not say you claimed it directly, I said you posted
> >material
claiming
> >it.
>
> Some Ph.D chemists who have researched it, yes.
>
> >>Yet some
noted a
real

> > Cite please.
>
> HELLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
>
> Cite please.

I pointed out to you in an earlier post that that judgement
is based upon the material that you post here all the time.
That is my cite.

> >I know there are none, and
> >difference
>
> >Can you back up your claims or not???? Either do so and
> >don't make false
> >> claims.
> >>
> >> Jan
>
> >I am very aware that this is a tactic designed to obscure
> >Jan's inability
> >produce scientific evidence for overt mercury poisoning
> >in those with amalgam dental fillings.
>
> Well, no it is an honest question, please back up your
> claims or don't
make
> them. In fact you are now doing the tactic dance. Let's
> back up.
>
> Here's a space for your great many studies..

Do a Medline search on mercury, amalgams, yourself.

> Furthermore you just lied, AGAIN, as I have posted
> scientific evidence
over and
> over and over.
>
> >But yes, she did post material about the "widespread and
> >serious"
effects
> >of amalgams. Here is Jan's post and an extract from the
> >material it refers to.
>
> >"Jan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:20040326002852.04378.00000109@mb-
> >m27.aol.com...
> >> http://www.home.earthlink.net/~berniew1/dentpap.html
>
> >> Documented High Mercury Exposure Levels from Amalgam
> >> and Adverse Health
> Effects
> >>

> > Let's see if this is *direct* enough for Peter Moran
>
> >The extract----
> >
> >>Many of those researching amalgam related health effects
> >>including
several
> >>very prominent scientists >have concluded that the
> >>health effects are *widespread and serious* so that
> >>mercury should not be used >as a
filling
> >>material (14,18,19,99,182,183, 209).
>
> >At least 2 states, California and
> >>Maine, have passed >laws requiring dentists to warn
> >>patients about the dangers of use of amalgam in
> >>dentistry, and many >other countries have
such
> >>warnings. <my emphasis>
> >
> >Peter Moran
>
> Yep, and the only point you wish to cover is the
> widespread and serious??
>
> Did you read the what the prominent scientists had
> to say??

I have already responded in detail to this.

> Now, we are ready for your great many studies.
>
> Next, we will once again go over a very few abstracts with
> scientific
evidence
> of mercury poisoning in those with dental amalgams.
>

> http://tinyurl.com/3bp8f
>
> 1: Adv Dent Res. 1992 Sep;6:110-3. Related Articles, Links
>
> Side-effects: mercury contribution to body burden from
> dental amalgam.
>
> Reinhardt JW.
>
> Department of Operative Dentistry, University of Iowa
> College of
Dentistry,
> Iowa City 52242.
>
> The purpose of this paper is to examine and report on
> studies that relate mercury levels in human tissues to the
> presence of dental amalgams, giving special attention to
> autopsy studies. Until recently, there have been few
> published studies examining the relationship between
> dental amalgams and
tissue
> mercury levels. Improved and highly sensitive tissue
> analysis techniques
have
> made it possible to measure elements in the concentration
> range of parts
per
> billion. The fact that mercury can be absorbed and reach
> toxic levels in
human
> tissues makes any and all exposure to that element of
> scientific interest. Dental amalgams have long been
> believed to be of little significance as contributors to
> the overall body burden of mercury, because the elemental
form
> of mercury is rapidly consumed in the setting reaction of
> the restoration. Studies showing measurable elemental
> mercury vapor release from dental
amalgams
> have raised renewed concern about amalgam safety. Mercury
> vapor absorption occurs through the lungs, with about 80%
> of the inhaled vapor being
absorbed by
> the lungs and rapidly entering the bloodstream. Following
> distribution by
blood
> circulation, mercury can enter and remain in certain
> tissues for longer
periods
> of time, since the half-life of excretion is prolonged.
> Two of the primary target organs of concern are the
> central nervous system and kidneys.
>
> Publication Types:

Where does this show that the added burden from mercury is
casuing illness?

> [...]
> of an elevated body burden of mercury
can
> be made by measuring urinary mercury, after provocation
> with 2,3,-dimercapto-propane sulfonate (DMPS) and this was
> measured in 150
patients.
> Apo-E genotyping warrants investigation as a clinically
> useful biomarker
for
> those at increased risk of neuropathology, including AD,
> when subjected to long-term mercury exposures.
> Additionally, when clinical findings suggest adverse
> effects of chronic mercury exposure, a DMPS urine mercury
challenge
> appears to be a simple, inexpensive procedure that
> provides objective confirmatory evidence. An opportunity
> could now exist for primary health practitioners to help
> identify those at greater risk and possibly

This is from a quack clinic which asssumes that mercury
toxicity is prevalent, but produces no evidence that
that is so.

> PMID: 12897404 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
>

> http://tinyurl.com/2h6y4
>
> Altern Med Rev. 2000 Jun;5(3):209-23. Related
> Articles, Links
>
> Environmental medicine, part three: long-term effects of
> chronic low-dose mercury exposure.
>
> Crinnion WJ.
>
> Healing Naturally, 11811 NE 128th St., Suite 202,
> Kirkland, WA 98034, USA.
>
> Mercury is ubiquitous in the environment, and in our
> mouths in the form of "silver" amalgams. Once introduced
> to the body through food or vapor,
mercury
> is rapidly absorbed and accumulates in several tissues,
> leading to
increased
> oxidative damage, mitochondrial dysfunction, and cell
> death. Mercury
primarily
> affects neurological tissue, resulting in numerous
> neurological symptoms,
and
> also affects the kidneys and the immune system. It causes
> increased
production
> of free radicals and decreases the availability of
> antioxidants. It also
has
> devastating effects on the glutathione content of the
> body, giving rise to
the
> possibility of increased retention of other
> environmental toxins.
Fortunately,
> effective tests are available to help distinguish those
> individuals who
are
> excessively burdened with mercury, and to monitor them
> during treatment. Therapies for assisting the reduction of
> a mercury load include the use of 2,3-dimercaptosuccinic
> acid (DMSA) and 2,3-dimercato-1-propanesulfonic
acid
> (DMPS). Additional supplementation to assist in the
> removal of mercury and
> reduce its adverse effects is discussed.

This is also from a quack source, and produces no evidence
for mercury toxicity.

> Publication Types: Review Review, Tutorial PMID: 10869102
> [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
>

> http://tinyurl.com/2gnwl
>
> : Br Dent J. 1997 May 24;182(10):373-81. Related
> : Articles, Links
>
> The future of dental amalgam: a review of the literature.
> Part 4: Mercury exposure hazards and risk assessment.
>
> Eley BM.
>
> Periodontal Department, King's College School of Medicine
> & Dentistry,
London.

> This is the fourth article in a series of seven on the
> future of dental amalgam. It first describes toxic mercury
> hazards from all sources of
exposure
> including dental amalgam. It begins by considering the
> many problems in accurately estimating daily mercury
> intakes from these sources. It then describes potential
> mercury hazards to industrial workers and the
calculation
> of thresholds for the general public from industrial
> data. The
implications of
> these findings to the production of a safe threshold for
> patients with
dental
> amalgams are then discussed. It finally discusses the
> attempts which have
been
> made to carry out a risk assessment of dental amalgam. In
> this connection
it
> reports the reviews of the United States Public Health
> Service in 1993,
the
> Swedish National Board of Health and Welfare in 1994 and
> the risk
assessment
> commissioned from Canada Health which was reported in
> 1995. It also
includes
> comments on the methods used in this last report.

This says nothing about health effects form amalgams.

> Publication Types: Review Review, Tutorial PMID: 9185355
> [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
>

> http://tinyurl.com/yuj39
>
> Acupunct Electrother Res. 1996 Apr-Jun;21(2):133-60.
> Related Articles,
Links

> Significant mercury deposits in internal organs following
> the removal of
dental
> amalgam, & development of pre-cancer on the gingiva and
> the sides of the
tongue
> and their represented organs as a result of inadvertent
> exposure to strong curing light (used to solidify
> synthetic dental filling material) &
effective
> treatment: a clinical case report, along with organ
> representation areas
for
> each tooth.

What does this say, Jan? Also from a quack journal.

> http://tinyurl.com/2gnwl
>
> 1: Br J Dermatol. 1996 Mar;134(3):420-3. Related Articles,
> Links
>
> The relevance and effect of amalgam replacement in
> subjects with oral
lichenoid
> reactions.
>
> Ibbotson SH, Speight EL, Macleod RI, Smart ER,
> Lawrence CM.
>
> Department of Dermatology, Royal Victoria Infirmary,
> Newcastle upon Tyne,
U.K.

> In this study we examined the prevalence of mercury
> hypersensitivity in patients with oral lichenoid reactions
> (OLR) and the effect of amalgam replacement in subjects
> with amalgams adjacent to OLR irrespective of
their
> mercury sensitivity status. One hundred and ninety-seven
> patients with
oral
> problems were examined: 109 with OLR, 22 with oral
> and generalized lichen planus, and 66 with other oral
> diagnoses, including aphthous ulcers and orofacial
> granulomatosis. Nineteen per cent of patients with
> OLR reacted
> mercury on patch testing, significantly more than in
> those with
generalized
> lichen planus (0%) and in those with other oral diagnoses
> (3%). Twenty-two patients with OLR and adjacent amalgams
> had amalgam replacement and, in 16
of
> 17 mercury-positive subjects and three of four mercury-
> negative subjects,
the
> OLR resolved after amalgam removal. In conclusion,
> we found a
significantly
> increased prevalence of mercury hypersensitivity in
> patients with
localized OLR
> in comparison to subjects with other oral problems.
> Amalgam replacement resulted in resolution of OLR in the
> majority of patients with amalgams adjacent to OLR
> irrespective of their mercury sensitivity status.

Such sensitivity has nothing to do with mercury
poisoning and is as likely to occur with any other
chemical dentalk filling.

> PMID: 8731663 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
>
> This one for Rich Andrews
>
> http://tinyurl.com/2dp6g
> 1: Psychol Rep. 1992 Jun;70(3 Pt 2):1139-51. Related
> Articles, Links
>
> A comparison of mental health of multiple sclerosis
> patients with silver/mercury dental fillings and those
> with fillings removed.
>
> Siblerud RL.
>
> Rocky Mountain Research Institute, Inc., Colorado.
>
> In this study was compared the mental health status of 47
> multiple
sclerosis
> patients with silver/mercury tooth fillings (amalgams) to
> that of 50
patients
> with their fillings removed. On the Beck Depression
> Inventory the multiple sclerosis subjects with amalgams
> suffered significantly more depression
while
> their scores on the State-Trait Anger Expression Inventory
> indicated the
former
> group also exhibited significantly more anger. On the SCL-
> 90 Revised,
subjects
> with amalgam fillings had significantly more symptoms of
> depression,
hostility,
> psychotism, and were more obsessive-compulsive than the
> patients with such fillings removed. On a questionnaire
> containing 18 mental health symptoms multiple sclerosis
> subjects with amalgam fillings reported a history of
43%
> more symptoms than those without amalgam fillings over the
> past 12 months. These data suggested that the poorer
> mental health status exhibited by
multiple
> sclerosis subjects with dental amalgam fillings may be
> associated with
mercury
> toxicity from the amalgam.

The detail of this study is important, as poor blinding
may lead those still with amalgams to report poorer
health status. The reuslts certainly conflist with a lot
of other data,

> PMID: 1496084 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
>

> http://tinyurl.com/2ukse
>
> : Am J Psychother. 1989 Oct;43(4):575-87. Related
> : Articles, Links
>
> The relationship between mercury from dental amalgam and
> mental health.
>
> Siblerud RL.
>
> Colorado State University, Department of Physiology, Fort
> Collins.
>
> The findings presented here suggest that mercury poisoning
> from dental
amalgam
> may play a role in the etiology of mental illness.
> Comparisons between
subjects
> with and without amalgam showed significant differences in
> subjective
reports
> of mental health. Subjects who had amalgams removed
> reported that symptoms
of
> mental illness lessened or disappeared after removal. The
> data suggest
that
> inorganic mercury poisoning from dental amalgam does
> affect the mind and emotions.

Not a controlled study. It is to be expected that those who
have gone to the trouble to have amalgams removed wiill not
say they have gone through it for nothing.

Peter Moran