Evie Stevens

Discussion in 'Professional Cycling' started by genedan, Aug 16, 2010.

1. genedan

genedan New Member

Did anyone read this month's Bicycling Magazine story on Evie Stevens? She started as a Cat 4 and in 18 months landed a pro contract at HTC-Columbia, in a Matthew Busche-esque fashion.

Can't think of anything negative about her - athletic talent, brains, business savvy, and as far as physical looks go, the opposite of Tammy Thomas.

Tags:

2. tonyzackery

tonyzackery Well-Known Member

I saw that article. She makes a black pant suit look good...

Incredible talent.

There's a kid up here (well, he's 19 or 20yo now) that I was racing with in Cat. 4/5 just a couple years ago who's raced against pros down in Central America in a couple stage races earlier this year and finished respectably...the phenoms are out there and come along every so often...

3. swampy1970

swampy1970 Well-Known Member

There's a girl in Northern Cali, Coryn Rivera who's just tearing it up everywhere - 32 National medals, a bronze at the recent track worlds, won the womens Sacramento Grand Prix (at the Amgen Tour), does cyclo cross, track, road and all on junior gears - as she's still 17...

... yeah, she beat the best in the US at the Sacto Grand Prix infront of the Amgen Tour crowd on junior gears. Must have been pedaling faster than a bees wings.

Awesome stuff.

4. leerobbs

leerobbs New Member

Drug test, test, test and then test some more. Anyone who has this type of result must be doped to the max. Since all the others are doping how could she be competitive w/o doping? We need to put Roadhouse on this and let him investigate and turn the posts upside down. Sic em Roadhouse!

5. pearl-drum-man

pearl-drum-man New Member

Read the article, great story! Hopefully she can continue her ascension in the sport.

6. DancenMacabre

DancenMacabre New Member

Evelyn Stevens, old but great story.

That the massive talent was there is obvious. Otherwise there's no way anyone upgrades that quickly. Talk about picking the best parents!

Here's what I find amazing though...is that she learned the "game", the tactics, and acquired such excellent bike skills to run with the best women in the world in such a short time.

For me that's the most impressive part because no matter how great a talent you are, at some point everyone else is as talented and then skill and smarts become paramount..