Evil Potato Soup Quesa-Question

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by CJ Jones, Jan 5, 2006.

  1. CJ Jones

    CJ Jones Guest

    My recipe for potato soup, (white house cook book) was followed to the
    letter, but I think the cheese we got has oils in it. I thought he
    bought mild cheddar. I used a slow cooker to make the recipe, and the
    cheese just curded up after the second hour or so. Does anyone have a
    fix for this? I have provolone and jack in the house. Should I use these
    or milk or??

    thanks

    CJ

    Tags:

  2. King's Crown

    King's Crown Guest

    "CJ Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:2Nlvf.3412$%[email protected]
    > My recipe for potato soup, (white house cook book) was followed to the
    > letter, but I think the cheese we got has oils in it. I thought he bought
    > mild cheddar. I used a slow cooker to make the recipe, and the cheese just
    > curded up after the second hour or so. Does anyone have a fix for this? I
    > have provolone and jack in the house. Should I use these or milk or??
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > CJ

    I've found cheese to be the last thing you put into a soup shortly before
    you serve it as heat will make it curdle. No help for now, but something
    to think about for your next batch.

    Lynne

  3. Bubba

    Bubba Guest

    CJ Jones wrote:
    > My recipe for potato soup, (white house cook book) was followed to the
    > letter, but I think the cheese we got has oils in it. I thought he
    > bought mild cheddar. I used a slow cooker to make the recipe, and the
    > cheese just curded up after the second hour or so. Does anyone have a
    > fix for this? I have provolone and jack in the house. Should I use these
    > or milk or??
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > CJ

    You could try a fairly stiff beurre manie but it'll be iffy in any case.

    Bubba

    --
    You wanna measure or you wanna cook?

  4. Doug Kanter

    Doug Kanter Guest

    "CJ Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:2Nlvf.3412$%[email protected]
    > My recipe for potato soup, (white house cook book) was followed to the
    > letter, but I think the cheese we got has oils in it. I thought he bought
    > mild cheddar. I used a slow cooker to make the recipe, and the cheese just
    > curded up after the second hour or so. Does anyone have a fix for this? I
    > have provolone and jack in the house. Should I use these or milk or??
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > CJ

    You cooked the cheese for too long. Cheese soups are kinda disgusting
    anyway. Try using pureed beans to thicken potato soup, and spices to add
    some zing.

  5. kevnbro

    kevnbro Guest

    >My recipe for potato soup, (white house cook book) was followed to the letter, but I think the cheese we got has oils in it.

    White House Cookbook!? Of course there'll be oil in it!! (yet
    another drum crash!) Kev

  6. Doug Kanter

    Doug Kanter Guest

    "kevnbro" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > >My recipe for potato soup, (white house cook book) was followed to the
    > >letter, but I think the cheese we got has oils in it.

    > White House Cookbook!? Of course there'll be oil in it!! (yet
    > another drum crash!) Kev

    Are you writing for Letterman, too? :)

  7. aem

    aem Guest

    CJ Jones wrote:
    > My recipe for potato soup, (white house cook book) was followed to the
    > letter, but I think the cheese we got has oils in it. I thought he
    > bought mild cheddar. I used a slow cooker to make the recipe, and the
    > cheese just curded up after the second hour or so. Does anyone have a
    > fix for this? I have provolone and jack in the house. Should I use these
    > or milk or??

    Here's a suggestion for the New Year: let's stop putting cheese in
    everything. American consumption of cheese was 11 pounds per person in
    1970, 31 pounds per person in 2003. Is this the only reason Americans
    are so much fatter than they used to be? Of course not. But it's a
    "thing that makes you go hmmmm." Who says broccoli and cauliflower
    need to have their taste overpowered by cheese? What don't you like
    about potatoes that makes you want to disguise them with cheese? Why
    are you using hamburger meat that's so bad you want to mask it with
    cheese? Okay, I make an exception for pizza.... -aem

  8. Doug Kanter wrote:
    > "CJ Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:2Nlvf.3412$%[email protected]
    >> My recipe for potato soup, (white house cook book) was followed to the
    >> letter, but I think the cheese we got has oils in it. I thought he bought
    >> mild cheddar. I used a slow cooker to make the recipe, and the cheese just
    >> curded up after the second hour or so. Does anyone have a fix for this? I
    >> have provolone and jack in the house. Should I use these or milk or??
    >>
    >> thanks
    >>
    >> CJ

    > You cooked the cheese for too long. Cheese soups are kinda disgusting
    > anyway. Try using pureed beans to thicken potato soup, and spices to add
    > some zing.

    Strictly in my Opinion.

    In any Soup recipe...The Cheese in Question should be added in the last
    15 minutes and never ever be brought past a slow simmer. In Fact if the
    cheese has melted fully then serve the soup. Cheese has butterfat in it
    and just like cream it too will curdle if boiled too long.

  9. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    CJ Jones wrote:
    > My recipe for potato soup, (white house cook book) was followed to the
    > letter, but I think the cheese we got has oils in it. I thought he
    > bought mild cheddar. I used a slow cooker to make the recipe, and the
    > cheese just curded up after the second hour or so. Does anyone have a
    > fix for this? I have provolone and jack in the house. Should I use
    > these or milk or??
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > CJ

    As others have indicated, cheese should only be added at the last minute
    until it melts. I didn't realize they used slow cookers in The White House
    Cookbook ;) I'd have gone with the milk and tried to smooth it out, but
    that's just me.

    Jill

  10. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    Doug Kanter wrote:
    > "CJ Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:2Nlvf.3412$%[email protected]
    >> the cheese just curded up after the second hour or so. Does anyone
    >> have a fix for this? I have provolone and jack in the house. Should
    >> I use these or milk or??
    >>
    >> thanks
    >>
    >> CJ

    > You cooked the cheese for too long. Cheese soups are kinda disgusting
    > anyway.

    I disagree. I love a good cheddar cheese or beer-cheese soup. For a potato
    soup I'd have added the cheese at the last minute or used it as a garnish
    and stirred it in the bowl until it was all melty. Top with some crumbled
    bacon, snipped chives, sour cream, you have Loaded Baked Potato soup :)

    Jill

  11. CJ Jones

    CJ Jones Guest

    jmcquown wrote:
    > CJ Jones wrote:
    >> My recipe for potato soup, (white house cook book) was followed to the
    >> letter, but I think the cheese we got has oils in it. I thought he
    >> bought mild cheddar. I used a slow cooker to make the recipe, and the
    >> cheese just curded up after the second hour or so. Does anyone have a
    >> fix for this? I have provolone and jack in the house. Should I use
    >> these or milk or??
    >>
    >> thanks
    >>
    >> CJ

    > As others have indicated, cheese should only be added at the last minute
    > until it melts. I didn't realize they used slow cookers in The White House
    > Cookbook ;) I'd have gone with the milk and tried to smooth it out, but
    > that's just me.
    >
    > Jill

    Thanks! Yep I used the "kettle soup and cheddar recipe"... the slow
    cooker was the closest alternative I had at the house at the time.

    And thanks to everyone.. lesson learned!! Cheese is a last minute
    thingyamabob!!

    CJ

  12. Bubba

    Bubba Guest

    aem wrote:
    > CJ Jones wrote:
    >
    >>My recipe for potato soup, (white house cook book) was followed to the
    >>letter, but I think the cheese we got has oils in it. I thought he
    >>bought mild cheddar. I used a slow cooker to make the recipe, and the
    >>cheese just curded up after the second hour or so. Does anyone have a
    >>fix for this? I have provolone and jack in the house. Should I use these
    >> or milk or??

    > Here's a suggestion for the New Year: let's stop putting cheese in
    > everything. American consumption of cheese was 11 pounds per person in
    > 1970, 31 pounds per person in 2003. Is this the only reason Americans
    > are so much fatter than they used to be? Of course not. But it's a
    > "thing that makes you go hmmmm." Who says broccoli and cauliflower
    > need to have their taste overpowered by cheese? What don't you like
    > about potatoes that makes you want to disguise them with cheese? Why
    > are you using hamburger meat that's so bad you want to mask it with
    > cheese? Okay, I make an exception for pizza.... -aem

    You can keep a pound for your pizza and send me the other 30!!!

    Bubba

    --
    You wanna measure or you wanna cook?

  13. ~patches~

    ~patches~ Guest

    aem wrote:

    > CJ Jones wrote:
    >
    >>My recipe for potato soup, (white house cook book) was followed to the
    >>letter, but I think the cheese we got has oils in it. I thought he
    >>bought mild cheddar. I used a slow cooker to make the recipe, and the
    >>cheese just curded up after the second hour or so. Does anyone have a
    >>fix for this? I have provolone and jack in the house. Should I use these
    >> or milk or??

    > Here's a suggestion for the New Year: let's stop putting cheese in
    > everything. American consumption of cheese was 11 pounds per person in
    > 1970, 31 pounds per person in 2003. Is this the only reason Americans
    > are so much fatter than they used to be? Of course not. But it's a
    > "thing that makes you go hmmmm." Who says broccoli and cauliflower
    > need to have their taste overpowered by cheese? What don't you like
    > about potatoes that makes you want to disguise them with cheese? Why
    > are you using hamburger meat that's so bad you want to mask it with
    > cheese? Okay, I make an exception for pizza.... -aem

    Sorry, can't do. Cheese is a staple in our home. I will admit to
    liking my veggies undressed though with the exception of a wee bit of
    butter. I seldom serve cheese on broccoli or cauliflower if eating
    either as a veggie. As a soup, cheese really makes the soup for either
    of these veggies even though plain cream of broccoli soup is pretty
    good. I like sour cream on baked potatoes. In fact I can think of only
    a couple of dishes where I use some type of cheese with potatoes. Now
    cheese just goes very nice with burgers and dishes containing ground beef.

    BTW, years ago and I can't remember where I heard it, someone said the
    easiest way to lose weight was to undress your veggies. That means
    leave the sauces and toppings off your veggies. Since I don't dress
    them in the first place, it makes no difference. When you consider
    salads, almost all of the calories are in the dressing. IMO, the very
    best salad topping that brings out the flavour with almost no calories
    is fresh squeezed lemon juice.