EVOX or QUETZAL

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Dr. Phil, Feb 23, 2003.

  1. Dr. Phil

    Dr. Phil Guest

    Hi; Does anyone on the list have any experience riding the EVOX aslso called QUETZAL? These are semi
    recumbent bikes made in Quebec Canada. I know they are not the high quality aluminum/titanium frame
    bents but the price seems right for someone who wants to get away for conventional uprights.

    Comments!!

    Tags:

  2. "Dr. Phil" skrev...
    > Hi; Does anyone on the list have any experience riding the EVOX aslso called QUETZAL? These are
    > semi recumbent bikes made in Quebec Canada. I know they are not the high quality aluminum/titanium
    > frame bents but the price seems right for someone who wants to get away for conventional uprights.

    BROL had a review of the CCM Evox 140. http://www.bentrideronline.com/

    Find it under "Previous issues and bike reviews"-menu.

    Mikael

  3. "Dr. Phil" skrev...

    > Does anyone on the list have any experience riding the EVOX aslso called QUETZAL? These are semi
    > recumbent bikes made in Quebec Canada. I know they are not the high quality aluminum/titanium
    > frame bents but the price seems right for someone who wants to get away for conventional uprights.

    Oh, also be sure to try before you buy. Especially if you have comfortissues with uprights.

    And you might consider getting a real recumbent like the EZ-1 or BikeE. BikeE's might be available
    cheaply new or used since the company just folded. Browse the reviews in Bentrider Online to get an
    idea of whats out there.

    Some used bikes here... http://www.recumbents.com/forsale.idc

    Mikael

  4. IF UR in the Canada, a new EVOX will cost $250.USD, have no idea what they cost in the USA...but a
    few months ago a regular contributor to this NG
    (E.W.)...whom I might add appears to have dropped off the edge of the Planet again, reported that
    Bike Shops in Florida had trouble keeping the EVOX 140 in stock @ $500.00 each....so I guess
    someone is buying them. I have (never) seen a EZ-1Sc or a BikeE (used) for $250.00 yet. RANS,
    KHS and Giant also came out with a Semi-Recumbent and so far (no one is saying how well or
    poorly) this new flavour of bike is being received. I suspect not too well, maybe in a few
    years they might catch on.

    FWIW Quetzal Recumbents sells in the USA under the name CCM EVOX and once upon a time Quetzal did a
    name change, they used to be called "Peugeot". I never figured that one out but I suspect CCM had
    acquired the Licence to produce Recumbents and Road Bikes under the name Peugeot and when the
    Licence expired..the new name chosen was Quetzal. I had a silver Peugeot 105 speed Bent that became
    a Quetzal 105...very confusing being the exact same model.

    It may not be a bad idea to look for a used CLWB Bent and stay clear of the Semi-Bents for a while.
    Problem with the Semi-Bents is they have not been around long enough to have a loyal following and
    therefore selling one might prove difficult when you go totally bent...and you WILL get bent, it is
    inevitable.

    This NG will not wipe our noses on your Semi-Bent if that is what you decide to buy, but with only
    one pilot in the last year saying he bought a Semi-Bent and he has not been seen in these here parts
    since last fall...U might not get a lot of help with upgrade and technical questions pertaining to
    your unique cycle.
    ---------------------
    "Dr. Phil" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi; Does anyone on the list have any experience riding the EVOX aslso called QUETZAL? These are
    > semi recumbent bikes made in Quebec Canada. I know
    they
    > are not the high quality aluminum/titanium frame bents but the price seems right for someone who
    > wants to get away for conventional uprights.
    >
    > Comments!!

  5. Jim H

    Jim H Guest

    In several minutes of dilligent googling I was unable to find a web site for "CCM Evox", "Quetzal"
    or whatever they're called now. Are they still in business?

  6. Jay

    Jay Guest

    in article [email protected], jim h at [email protected] wrote on
    2/23/03 6:59 PM:

    > In several minutes of dilligent googling I was unable to find a web site for "CCM Evox", "Quetzal"
    > or whatever they're called now. Are they still in business?

    I took me about 3 sec on google. Another couple seconds to get the english page. I hope this
    helps you out.

    http://www.quetzal.ca/accueil-en.html

    Jay <---search engine ninja

  7. Jim H

    Jim H Guest

    I found those links too, but they were dead - I got pages (in French) saying "no such site". But
    they seem to be working now. Probably a temporary DNS problem somewhere.

  8. Dax

    Dax Guest

    > FWIW Quetzal Recumbents sells in the USA under the name CCM EVOX and once upon a time Quetzal did
    > a name change, they used to be called "Peugeot". I never figured that one out but I suspect CCM
    > had acquired the Licence to produce Recumbents and Road Bikes under the name Peugeot and when the
    > Licence expired..the new name chosen was Quetzal. I had a silver Peugeot 105 speed Bent that
    > became a Quetzal 105...very confusing being the exact same model.

    In fact Quetzal started as an independent company, but were subsequently bought by Procycle Inc.,
    who manufacture bikes in Quebec under the names CCM, VeloSport, Mikado, and Peugeot - Ъ×

  9. Nope...cannot agree on the History section. CCM came 1st, CCM divided into 2 areas, the bicycle
    division and the Sport Equipment div. ProCycle was the name given to the Bicycle division and CCM
    had the Sport Equipment div. Peugeot was manufactured by CCM and when CCM began using the ProCycle
    name, Peugeot was under the ProCycle banner. Mikado, Tri-Ryder, Quetzal, SuperCycle, Sportek,
    Falcon, Voyager and a slew of other brand name bikes where all built under the ProCycle name. The
    NORCO connection is even more twisted. CCM is Canada's version of GIANT or Huffy. CCM churns out
    several hundred thousand bikes and sells them under 20 different company names...not to mention the
    thousands of bikes they import from China and Taiwan that end up in their Quebec distribution
    centers (as Canadian made with Canadian company names attached). IE DAHONs are sold under the
    ProCycle Mikado banner...but they are still Dahons. Quebec is quite similar to Taiwan in that every
    bicycle company is in bed with every other bicycle company. Even what appear to be Independent parts
    and accessories suppliers are actually extensions of CCM/ProCycle.

    As far as I can figure, the only reason the EVOX went under the name CCM in the USA, was that
    ProCycle did NOT have a distribution network in the USA...but CCM did via their Sport Equipment div.
    and instead of creating a ProCycle div. for the USA, they had EVOX go under CCM. I am not sure about
    this part, but I suspect CCM has some territorial agreement with Huffy to NOT have ProCycle
    operating in the USA. ProCycle operates several Leading MTB companies in the USA who have gone out
    of their way to distance themselves from the appearance of being connected to CCM/ProCycle. Like you
    put a Specialized next to a Rocky Mountain and they are identical down to the weld patterns....it
    all gets blurred at some point who builds what. Two of my cousins owned Bicycle stores in Canada and
    I got a crash course in who owned what. My info is somewhat dated though, so some of the details
    could have changed.
    "dax" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Joshua Goldberg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > > FWIW Quetzal Recumbents sells in the USA under the name CCM EVOX and
    once
    > > upon a time Quetzal did a name change, they used to be called "Peugeot". I never figured that
    > > one out but I suspect CCM had acquired the Licence
    > > produce Recumbents and Road Bikes under the name Peugeot and when the Licence expired..the new
    > > name chosen was Quetzal. I had a silver Peugeot
    105
    > > speed Bent that became a Quetzal 105...very confusing being the exact
    same
    > > model.
    > >

    > In fact Quetzal started as an independent company, but were subsequently bought by Procycle Inc.,
    > who manufacture bikes in Quebec under the names CCM, VeloSport, Mikado, and Peugeot - Ъ×

  10. Dax

    Dax Guest

    On Mon, 24 Feb 2003 08:41:10 -0500, "Joshua Goldberg" <[email protected]> wrote:

> [...]
    >> "Joshua Goldberg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:<[email protected]>...
    >>
    >> > FWIW Quetzal Recumbents sells in the USA under the name CCM EVOX and
    >once
    >> > upon a time Quetzal did a name change, they used to be called "Peugeot". I never figured that
    >> > one out but I suspect CCM had acquired the Licence
    >> > produce Recumbents and Road Bikes under the name Peugeot and when the Licence expired..the new
    >> > name chosen was Quetzal. I had a silver Peugeot
    >105
    >> > speed Bent that became a Quetzal 105...very confusing being the exact
    >same
    >> > model.
    >> >

    >> In fact Quetzal started as an independent company, but were subsequently bought by Procycle Inc.,
    >> who manufacture bikes in Quebec under the names CCM, VeloSport, Mikado, and Peugeot - Ъ×

    CCM was its own company for most of the 20th century, with its separate sports-equipment and bike
    lines.In the mid-1980s they went bankrupt... the sports equipment stuff was picked up by Maska and
    later, I think, Cooper... ...but the bike line was picked up by Procycle, a pre-existing company in
    St-Georges-de-Beauce, PQ. Procycle started in Quebec in the early seventies... they produced their
    own bikes under the VeloSport name and picked up the North American license for manufacturing
    Peugeot, which was their 'high end'. Their budget line was CCM. They also made Look bikes under
    license in the early nineties, along with a ton of department-store brands. They make a LOT of
    bikes. In the mid-nineties, Procycle gave Canadian Tire (a canadian chain of hardwares) an exclusive
    on CCM, which till then had been sold in bike stores... however, it appears the recumbents will
    again be sold in bike stores. Quetzal was developed in St-Georges-de-Beauce, the Procycle home town,
    by people associated with Procycle but independent from them. However, in the last couple of years
    Procycle has taken it over entirely.

  11. Bill B

    Bill B Guest

    "Dr. Phil" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hi; Does anyone on the list have any experience riding the EVOX aslso called QUETZAL? These are
    > semi recumbent bikes made in Quebec Canada. I know they are not the high quality aluminum/titanium
    > frame bents but the price seems right for someone who wants to get away for conventional uprights.
    >
    > Comments!!
    I test rode the Evox last summer. Two laps around the shopping center/home depot parking lot was all
    I could take. The seat was very uncomfortable and the little back rest was a joke. If I were in the
    market for a 500 t0 600 dollar bent I would get a Ez1 or a Bike E. By the way the bike shop that had
    the EVOX still has it .Even the owners and shop personel did not like the Evox.

  12. Dax

    Dax Guest

    [email protected] (Bill B) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Dr. Phil" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Hi; Does anyone on the list have any experience riding the EVOX aslso called QUETZAL? These are
    > > semi recumbent bikes made in Quebec Canada. I know they are not the high quality
    > > aluminum/titanium frame bents but the price seems right for someone who wants to get away for
    > > conventional uprights.
    > >
    > > Comments!!
    > I test rode the Evox last summer. Two laps around the shopping center/home depot parking lot was
    > all I could take. The seat was very uncomfortable and the little back rest was a joke. If I were
    > in the market for a 500 t0 600 dollar bent I would get a Ez1 or a Bike E. By the way the bike shop
    > that had the EVOX still has it .Even the owners and shop personel did not like the Evox.

    it does look pretty ridiculous... undergeared, like a lot of these small-wheeled bikes - basically
    the gear-inch of a child's department-store 'mountain bike' - Ъ×

  13. Guy Bouchard

    Guy Bouchard Guest

    www.quetzal.ca

    "jim h" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message news: [email protected]
    > In several minutes of dilligent googling I was unable to find a web site
    for
    > "CCM Evox", "Quetzal" or whatever they're called now. Are they still in business?

  14. Marci Taylor

    Marci Taylor Guest

    [email protected] (dax) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > [email protected] (Bill B) wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > "Dr. Phil" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > > Hi; Does anyone on the list have any experience riding the EVOX aslso called QUETZAL? These
    > > > are semi recumbent bikes made in Quebec Canada. I know they are not the high quality
    > > > aluminum/titanium frame bents but the price seems right for someone who wants to get away for
    > > > conventional uprights.
    > > >
    > > > Comments!!
    > > I test rode the Evox last summer. Two laps around the shopping center/home depot parking lot was
    > > all I could take. The seat was very uncomfortable and the little back rest was a joke. If I were
    > > in the market for a 500 t0 600 dollar bent I would get a Ez1 or a Bike E. By the way the bike
    > > shop that had the EVOX still has it .Even the owners and shop personel did not like the Evox.
    >
    > it does look pretty ridiculous... undergeared, like a lot of these small-wheeled bikes - basically
    > the gear-inch of a child's department-store 'mountain bike' - Ъ×

    I rode the EVOX the other day at one of my local dealers. I am sad to say that the seat back was
    majorly uncomfortable. In fact, I had a back ache for a couple of days after riding it!! I can't
    understand how the company can send them out that way. And, the seat back is not adjustable. It hits
    in just the wrong place. The dealer said that so far everyone who has ridden the EVOX has said that
    they seat back hurts. Too bad, a good idea but they obviously didn't get much feedback before
    putting them into production. I also noticed a large amount of front fork flop. Almost made the bike
    unridable. Marci

  15. Marci....I Agree on the fork/seatback issues and the gearing does suck as well...not to mention the
    limited choice available in 24 inch tires.

    I was offered a chance to become a Dealer for these Semi-Bents last August and after trying out the
    EVOX 140 I decided against getting attached to Quetzal quite yet.
    (IF) the EVOX 140 survives, an Aluminum version will follow and some of the current design flaws
    will be dealt with...including some suspension being added (rumoured anyway). Quetzal
    Recumbents are pretty popular in Quebec and nowhere else (yet), the Inca/Azteca etc. are giving
    Quetzal great exposure outside Quebec and this may lead to a more refinded Semi-Bent and maybe
    even Leak into their 3 proper bents.

    AND as I have said before here...anyone out there with a ReBike can now access parts via Quetzal.
    They are selling a Delta Trike that is really just a ReBike under a new name.

    Quetzal could easily be a leader in LWB bents IF they lowered their prices, lost those awful "Air
    Filled" seats and rethink the weight issue having 105 and 120 gears....till then I guess riders in
    Quebec will be their only customers.

    news:[email protected]...