Evox Semi-Recumbent Review

I figured I would mention that I purchased an EVOX 140 in the early part of 2003. I have since put over 3,000km on it. It's very important to note that the EVOX 140 does NOT come with quality components on it. If you want to do serious cycling, you're going to be replacing everything.

Example: my rear derailer that came with it snapped off and destroyed itself digging into the frame about 600km into riding it. I replaced it with a Shimano Deore rear derailler (paid the difference over the free replacement part). I replaced the front crank set at the same time with a Sugino one that can have its separate cogs easily swapped.

Other parts replaced: the included seat snapped apart in 2004 (1 year into riding it, around 1,800km). I replaced it with a nice gel seat that is far supperior, and much more comfortable. The default brakes and brake levers were replaced; I now have Shimano Deore brakes with Deore LX brake levers.

I replaced my front grip shifts (which were failing this year, 2006) with Deore rapid fires, and I also replaced the rear tire at the same time with a new one, more suitable for daily touring. The new rear tire is designed to be puncture resistant (to the point that going over glass is no problem). The original chain wore out at 2,700km. Every time you replace a chain on this bike, it's 2x the normal cost since you need a double-length chain.

The only OEM parts on the bike are: the frame and front fork/handle bars, the seat post (I removed the backrest which broke within 800km of riding), and the front tire. All brakes, levers, shifters, cables, chain, crank sets, rear tire, etc, have been replaced. I'm still sitting below 50 cents per km, though, given I tend to ride very heavily in the summer seasons (between 10 to 80km/day). It's a very pleasant ride to head to some of the towns near my city (1 hour out, 1 hour back, covering about 80km). I haven't done any major touring outside where I'd have to camp out overnight.

If you're interested in this kind of bike, buy the frame if you can (given the EVOX 140 is now 300$, I'm guessing you can get the frame for below $200). The Evox LE looks like it has a lighter frame (given it's aluminium, not chromoly), which I would say is the best way to go. That plus a Shimano Deore set of equipment will not be too expensive compared to some of the recumbants. If I purchased a replacement frame, I could construct a second EVOX out of discarded, lower quality parts ;) Unfortunately for me, I didn't bother to hand-build my bike from the start, but I'm very happy with the easy, enjoyable rides where I get to look out at the world, instead of my knees.

The next things I plan on doing with my bike is to replace my quick-releases with lugs (it's less trouble to carry wrenches than it is to deal with people who might want to steal my rather odd-sized, expensive tires, or locking them up), and probably replace the front tire with a higher pressure, more substantial piece of rubber than the OEM part.

cc
Inoshiro said:
I figured I would mention that I purchased an EVOX 140 in the early part of 2003. I have since put over 3,000km on it. It's very important to note that the EVOX 140 does NOT come with quality components on it. If you want to do serious cycling, you're going to be replacing everything.

Example: my rear derailer that came with it snapped off and destroyed itself digging into the frame about 600km into riding it. I replaced it with a Shimano Deore rear derailler (paid the difference over the free replacement part). I replaced the front crank set at the same time with a Sugino one that can have its separate cogs easily swapped.

Other parts replaced: the included seat snapped apart in 2004 (1 year into riding it, around 1,800km). I replaced it with a nice gel seat that is far supperior, and much more comfortable. The default brakes and brake levers were replaced; I now have Shimano Deore brakes with Deore LX brake levers.

I replaced my front grip shifts (which were failing this year, 2006) with Deore rapid fires, and I also replaced the rear tire at the same time with a new one, more suitable for daily touring. The new rear tire is designed to be puncture resistant (to the point that going over glass is no problem). The original chain wore out at 2,700km. Every time you replace a chain on this bike, it's 2x the normal cost since you need a double-length chain.

The only OEM parts on the bike are: the frame and front fork/handle bars, the seat post (I removed the backrest which broke within 800km of riding), and the front tire. All brakes, levers, shifters, cables, chain, crank sets, rear tire, etc, have been replaced. I'm still sitting below 50 cents per km, though, given I tend to ride very heavily in the summer seasons (between 10 to 80km/day). It's a very pleasant ride to head to some of the towns near my city (1 hour out, 1 hour back, covering about 80km). I haven't done any major touring outside where I'd have to camp out overnight.

If you're interested in this kind of bike, buy the frame if you can (given the EVOX 140 is now 300$, I'm guessing you can get the frame for below $200). The Evox LE looks like it has a lighter frame (given it's aluminium, not chromoly), which I would say is the best way to go. That plus a Shimano Deore set of equipment will not be too expensive compared to some of the recumbants. If I purchased a replacement frame, I could construct a second EVOX out of discarded, lower quality parts ;) Unfortunately for me, I didn't bother to hand-build my bike from the start, but I'm very happy with the easy, enjoyable rides where I get to look out at the world, instead of my knees.

The next things I plan on doing with my bike is to replace my quick-releases with lugs (it's less trouble to carry wrenches than it is to deal with people who might want to steal my rather odd-sized, expensive tires, or locking them up), and probably replace the front tire with a higher pressure, more substantial piece of rubber than the OEM part.
Thank you for the well written review of our unique and very enjoyable rec vehicle.
My wife and I have had a 140 and now a LE for less than a year but love 'em.
But they did need the sort of mods that you speak of. I took the opportunity of emailing Pro Cycle with pictures and marketing suggestions by so far they have been un-responsive. I don't think they realise yet what they have here.
ie the safest and most confortable seniors bike in the world.
MODS I have made to the LE include:
Twist Shifter (8) on shortened 23" bars, wider grippier front tire, "Q Rings" (52) with 170cm peddle arms, improved chain guide wheel, locking carrier box, lights and lock, and full length fairing.
At the moment I am working with other owners in the area to exploit the bike's profile to create several parade floats promoting our local cheese products (see photo) and hope to establish a Guiness land-speed record record for "Human Powered Cheese"
Ray Haynes

I am surprised that nobody has had anything to say about the handbars on the Evox, I find them not very ergonomic, for it is a straight bar and really should at least be angled to reflect the natural angle your hands should be at...maybe a 30 degree angle.

I am looking into cutting the handlebar off and installing a handlebar stem to allow me to put any kind of handlebar I wish. I have an old Mustang, so might see how putting those ape hanger bars onto the Evox will work out...will involve running new lines for the derailleurs and brakes etc...so may also at the time look into installing some rapid fire shifters.

I really have enjoyed my Evox these last several years, but do wish it was lighter. Also, have had a terrible time finding a decent kickstand...well to be honest have not asked at any bike shops, but for good reason. I have not yet been into a bike shop that has any idea about getting parts for the bike, which I thought weird since I figured that the guys in bike shops would be the ones 'in the know' of where to get what concerning bikes, any bikes, not just the $3,000 plus models that decorate their floors. :(