EXACT route of the 2004 Tour de France

george4x4

Nov 16, 2003
I have looked at the offical site but what I need is a map showing exactly where the route is - the villages it passes through , the roads used etc. Is there such a site?

I had the same question as you and when I did a google search, your post came up. Sadly I see you never got a response. Anybody out there who can help?

I'm not sure, but I think I read that they release a finalized route detail around April-May.

Check old cyclingnews.com news... I think that the TDF press had a report about it a week or two ago.

How do all the spectators find out - even if its only a couple of weeks beforehand? Thank-you for replies but surely someone has experiences they can pass on that will assist further.

Originally posted by george4x4
How do all the spectators find out - even if its only a couple of weeks beforehand? Thank-you for replies but surely someone has experiences they can pass on that will assist further.
Have you ever read Tim Moore's "French Revolutions". In his acknowledgements he says, and I quote, "and the Tour de France press office, whithout whom none of this would have been difficult". He is referring to the lack of info provided by the officials on the route taken. you probably won't get a finalised route until 5-6 weeks before the start of the race.

I went to France in 2001 and there were detailed maps and times available on the letour.com website. I was able to get a great spot in the Alps on a perfect day. (July 17, the day Lance gave Jan the look and won at L'Alp.)

I will be in Belgium for the first few days this year and have also not yet seen any maps, but I'm sure they will be available. There are many folks throughout Europe who want to know. I think there are lots of last-minute logistical nightmares to finalizing the route.

So, it's now within 5 to 6 weeks of the start of the TDF. Still no answers, I presume! Will the first person who finds out throw up a flare?

The official guide is on news stands in Belgium with the exact
route and times.

Most 190 - 200 km stages start at about 12:30 and finish
at about 17:30.

The June issue of VELO Magazine also has this detail. Below are
some contact points for the mag.

email - [email protected]
phone - 01 40 93 20 20
subscriptions - 01 55 56 70 54
fax - 01 40 93 20 09

Hope this helps,
Jerry

Originally posted by jerzy
Try "www.letour.com" rather than "letour.fr". Select "the route" and "the stages" click on the info button and you should be there!

link:http://www.letour.com/2004/us/index_oln.html

Yeah. After you click the link below each stage, the screen will then display a few links in the upper left corner. Click Dynamic profil, and you will see the profile of each stage. It gives the altitudes and the names of all the towns it goes through. This is a really nice, detailed listing and would be probably enough to ride the whole tour right now to see what it would be like.