Exage 300

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Noel, Jan 23, 2003.

  1. Noel

    Noel Guest

    Hi All...

    In the throws of purchasing an "older' bike with Exage 300. Bike has done very little work and is in
    excellent cond'.

    I'm seeking any info good / bad on the Exage 300 regarding the converting to possible STI and maybe
    16 speed rather than current 14 speed.

    Thanks in advance

    Noel

    Tags:

  2. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    "Noel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hi All...
    >
    > In the throws of purchasing an "older' bike with Exage 300. Bike has done very little work and is
    > in excellent cond'.
    >
    > I'm seeking any info good / bad on the Exage 300 regarding the converting to possible STI and
    > maybe 16 speed rather than current 14 speed.
    >
    > Thanks in advance

    Exage wheels were freewheel wheels if memory serves. In order to make an intelligent change you'd
    have to convert to an 18 speed. Buy a set of 9-speed wheels, a new rear derailleur and a set of
    9-speed downtube shifters.

    The latest 9-speed hubs need to have the rear triangle reset to 130 mm by a local shop that has the
    proper tools. This is easily done if you have a steel frame. If you have an aluminum frame you'll
    just have to push the rear wheel in each time. It's no big deal but is a little irritating to fight
    it every time.

  3. "Noel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hi All...
    >
    > In the throws of purchasing an "older' bike with Exage 300. Bike has done very little work and is
    > in excellent cond'.
    >
    > I'm seeking any info good / bad on the Exage 300 regarding the converting to possible STI and
    > maybe 16 speed rather than current 14 speed.
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > Noel

    Spend a little extra cash to get a current bike. Otherwise you'll be paying for it for years as you
    fight the retrofit. a