Exage brake levers

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Adam Rush, Nov 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adam Rush

Adam Rush Guest

My LBS is one of those places where they don't sell new bikes, but have piles and piles of NOS from
    the last 20 years. I just picked up a pair of Exage/Shimano SLR "æro"(?) brake levers. Ummm... The
    QR's are semi-recessed and if the lever is snapped back, it goes back into the handle. I know I just
    need an exploded diagram or something to get this fixed, they can't be broken--they can't!

Also, there's two channels for housing, it appears, when you look at it from the hood end. One of
    these is clear enough. The other one--what's it for?

I know this is a stupid question, but I'm not willing to pull something apart which might not
    necessarily go back together again.

Also, was 80SEK ($10) a rip-off?

Tags:

2. Mikeyankee

Mikeyankee Guest

I had Exage aero levers on several bikes and they work fine and $10 is a good price. If something is
    broken or stuck in the lever you can disassembe it by removing the hood and gently driving out the
    pivot pin. Grease parts lightly when reassembling.

>two channels for the housing, it appears...

Unclear what you're looking at, but I don't have your SLR model. Mine are Exage Sport, with is only
    one routing for the brake housing just like 105, Ultegra, Dura-Ace or Dia-Compe. Ask the LBS where
    you bought the levers to explain.

Note that the levers are "handed". Looking at them from the back (clamp side). you want to mount
    them so that the wider opening is on the inside for both the left and right levers. If they are not
    mirror image you have two lefts or rights rather than a pair.

Mike Yankee

(Address is munged to thwart spammers. To reply, delete everything after "com".)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.