Examining fork after impact

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Anonymous, Jun 8, 2003.

  1. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    Hey all,

    I had my wheels looked at after an impact. Now the fork. It's Al with a steel steerer. The wheels
    were more than fine, which indicates the impact was probably slower than I orgininally thought.

    Exactly for what am I looking? I presume cracks where the steel and Al meet? Any other place where
    an impact would crack this thing? Or is this simply not a job for someone without experience in
    examining forks?

    Thanks, Doug

    Tags:

  2. Harris

    Harris Guest

    "Doug" wrote:
    > I had my wheels looked at after an impact. Now the fork. It's Al with a steel steerer. The wheels
    > were more than fine, which indicates the impact was probably slower than I orgininally thought.

    Not necessarily. As several folks pointed out in your earlier thread, wheels usually fare better
    than forks and frames in head on impacts.

    > Exactly for what am I looking? I presume cracks where the steel and Al meet? Any other place where
    > an impact would crack this thing? Or is this simply not a job for someone without experience in
    > examining forks?

    Look for bumps and/or cracked paint on the down tube an inch or two from where it attaches to the
    head tube. Check that the fork blades weren't bent back. If these are traditional curved forks, the
    upper portion should be in line with the steerer tube. And yes, look for cracks anywhere in the
    affected area. Damage to an aluminum fork may not be as apparent as with steel, but a damaged
    aluminum fork can fail without warning. I'd have it looked at by a pro.

    Art Harris

  3. Harris

    Harris Guest

    "Doug" wrote:
    > Exactly for what am I looking?

    Also check that the headset isn't binding.

    Art Harris

  4. Cracks, obviously, wrinkled near the joints, misalignment of the fork blades (tough to see
    sometimes).