Excel Question - columns of weeks for weighin results

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Fred, Jan 26, 2004.

  1. Fred

    Fred Guest

    I was think of graphing my progress and figured that excel might do some automatic labeling or some
    such so that I could create a spread (maybe this one should be called a narrow) sheet. I am also
    curious about where I was during certain periods over the last year in reference to my skiing,
    biking, etc.

    Something like:

    Oct 30 Nov 6 Nov 13 Nov 20 ................................ in the row

    I thought Excel might know how to automate this so that I do not have to enter each of those days -
    just incrementing weeks across the top row. Thanks in advance.

    Tags:

  2. Julieb

    Julieb Guest

    It most certainly can Fred. Type in the first two or three dates you want.
    Highlight those two or three cells. Then put your cursor over the black box
    in the bottom right hand corner of the highlighted area (it should turn into
    a cross shape), then click and drag to extend the series. Search the help
    for "Fill in a series of numbers, dates, or other items" for a better
    description :)

    --
    Julie.
    93.5/72.3/74 (WW)/72 (Personal) kg

    Here's our FAQ: http://www.didian.com/asdww/ and welcome notice:
    http://www.geocities.com/welcomenotice/index.html

    > I was think of graphing my progress and figured that excel might do some automatic labeling or
    > some such so that I could create a spread (maybe this one should be called a narrow) sheet. I am
    > also curious about where I was during certain periods over the last year in reference to my
    > skiing, biking, etc.
    >
    > Something like:
    >
    > Oct 30 Nov 6 Nov 13 Nov 20 ................................ in the row
    >
    > I thought Excel might know how to automate this so that I do not have to enter each of those days
    > - just incrementing weeks across the top row. Thanks in advance.

  3. Fred,

    I'll try to explain it here but on Excel you should have a help button. If you can't do it with this
    click on Excel Help, in the answer wizard type Automatically add dates then select automatically
    fill in data based on adjacent cells, then click fill ina series of numbers, dates or other items.

    To do this type in the first two dates, highlight the dates, if you put the cursor in the lower
    right corner a little plus sign shows up, this is called a fill handle--click and hold to drag it
    over the empty boxes to the right if you are going across the top, or down if you are going down the
    sides. When you've covered the boxes you want filled "let go" of the button on the mouse and it will
    fill in the dates for you!!

    Hope this helps and hope you understood my directions!!

    --
    Janice
    263/252/150 (maybe 130)

    > I was think of graphing my progress and figured that excel might do some automatic labeling or
    > some such so that I could create a spread (maybe this one should be called a narrow) sheet. I am
    > also curious about where I was during certain periods over the last year in reference to my
    > skiing, biking, etc.
    >
    > Something like:
    >
    > Oct 30 Nov 6 Nov 13 Nov 20 ................................ in the row
    >
    > I thought Excel might know how to automate this so that I do not have to enter each of those days
    > - just incrementing weeks across the top row. Thanks in advance.

  4. Laura

    Laura Guest

    You might do better putting the dates in the rows going down the spreadsheet. Think of the date as
    your x axis and in next column put your weight. In the third column put your comments. Then
    highlight your date and weight columns and select Insert>>Chart. Going down the rows is easier to
    read than going across the columns. You can also put in one date and a formula that is =a1+7 to
    increment the date by 1 week. Just remember to format that column with a date format.

    > I was think of graphing my progress and figured that excel might do some automatic labeling or
    > some such so that I could create a spread (maybe this one should be called a narrow) sheet. I am
    > also curious about where I was during certain periods over the last year in reference to my
    > skiing, biking, etc.
    >
    > Something like:
    >
    > Oct 30 Nov 6 Nov 13 Nov 20 ................................ in the row
    >
    > I thought Excel might know how to automate this so that I do not have to enter each of those days
    > - just incrementing weeks across the top row. Thanks in advance.

  5. Fred

    Fred Guest

    THANKS, EVERYONE. Variations on a theme.

    When I tried doing something last week, all I wound up with were what I will call "literals." That
    is Just like labels - not DATES which would propagate.

    Now I've got it. Altho, I must admit my fairly linear weightloss is quite boring as a CHART/GRAPH
    (G) But now I can look, at say, this date last year on the computer and see how much I weighed and
    what hike/etc I was doing. Now to put a shortcut in my Nutrition folder on the desktop.

    Again, thanks.

  6. Bird

    Bird Guest

    Once you put all the work into your spreadsheet any chance of you sharing
    it? I have Laura's spreadsheet that is great but I think it would be
    helpful to have a chart for progress.
    Bird
    > I was think of graphing my progress and figured that excel might do some automatic labeling or
    > some such so that I could create a spread (maybe this one should be called a narrow) sheet. I am
    > also curious about where I was during certain periods over the last year in reference to my
    > skiing, biking, etc.
    >
    > Something like:
    >
    > Oct 30 Nov 6 Nov 13 Nov 20 ................................ in the row
    >
    > I thought Excel might know how to automate this so that I do not have to enter each of those days
    > - just incrementing weeks across the top row. Thanks in advance.

  7. Fred

    Fred Guest

    Oh, I did go with the COLUMN mode - down for the dates. Comments - well, I would merely fill that
    with (G) symbols (G)

    On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 19:17:09 -0800, Fred <[email protected]> wrote:

    >THANKS, EVERYONE. Variations on a theme.
    >
    >When I tried doing something last week, all I wound up with were what I will call "literals." That
    >is Just like labels - not DATES which would propagate.
    >
    >Now I've got it. Altho, I must admit my fairly linear weightloss is quite boring as a CHART/GRAPH
    >(G) But now I can look, at say, this date last year on the computer and see how much I weighed and
    >what hike/etc I was doing. Now to put a shortcut in my Nutrition folder on the desktop.
    >
    >Again, thanks.

  8. Fred

    Fred Guest

    Laura might be able to provide a better way to chart something if based on data from her spreadsheet
    model. Especially, since not being an Excel person, mine seems truly almost worthless. That may be
    because I've charted the year+ and it shows NO detail whatsoever - just a very slightly sloping line
    and I mean slightly.

    Laura???

    On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 23:02:04 -0500, "bird" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Once you put all the work into your spreadsheet any chance of you sharing it? I have Laura's
    >spreadsheet that is great but I think it would be helpful to have a chart for progress. Bird "Fred"
    ><[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >> I was think of graphing my progress and figured that excel might do some automatic labeling or
    >> some such so that I could create a spread (maybe this one should be called a narrow) sheet. I am
    >> also curious about where I was during certain periods over the last year in reference to my
    >> skiing, biking, etc.
    >>
    >> Something like:
    >>
    >> Oct 30 Nov 6 Nov 13 Nov 20 ................................ in the row
    >>
    >> I thought Excel might know how to automate this so that I do not have to enter each of those days
    >> - just incrementing weeks across the top row. Thanks in advance.

  9. Laura

    Laura Guest

    Glad to hear you figured it out.

    > Oh, I did go with the COLUMN mode - down for the dates. Comments - well, I would merely fill that
    > with (G) symbols (G)
    >
    > On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 19:17:09 -0800, Fred <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >THANKS, EVERYONE. Variations on a theme.
    > >
    > >When I tried doing something last week, all I wound up with were what I will call "literals."
    > >That is Just like labels - not DATES which would propagate.
    > >
    > >Now I've got it. Altho, I must admit my fairly linear weightloss is quite boring as a CHART/GRAPH
    > >(G) But now I can look, at say, this date last year on the computer and see how much I weighed
    > >and what hike/etc I was doing. Now to put a shortcut in my Nutrition folder on the desktop.
    > >
    > >Again, thanks.

  10. Laura

    Laura Guest

    I'll post something tonight. I've only got about 1/2 hr before I leave for work.

    > Laura might be able to provide a better way to chart something if based on data from her
    > spreadsheet model. Especially, since not being an Excel person, mine seems truly almost worthless.
    > That may be because I've charted the year+ and it shows NO detail whatsoever - just a very
    > slightly sloping line and I mean slightly.
    >
    > Laura???
    >
    > On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 23:02:04 -0500, "bird" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Once you put all the work into your spreadsheet any chance of you sharing it? I have Laura's
    > >spreadsheet that is great but I think it would be helpful to have a chart for progress. Bird
    > >"Fred" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >news:[email protected]...
    > >> I was think of graphing my progress and figured that excel might do some automatic labeling or
    > >> some such so that I could create a spread (maybe this one should be called a narrow) sheet. I
    > >> am also curious about where I was during certain periods over the last year in reference to my
    > >> skiing, biking, etc.
    > >>
    > >> Something like:
    > >>
    > >> Oct 30 Nov 6 Nov 13 Nov 20 ................................ in the row
    > >>
    > >> I thought Excel might know how to automate this so that I do not have to enter each of those
    > >> days - just incrementing weeks across the top row. Thanks in advance.

  11. Fred

    Fred Guest

    Yes, and just now I added a LOSS column showing the change. I see that last year at this time I
    weighted 191 pounds.

    But.... (G)

    I created a chart or graph and it is "overlaying" much of my data. Hide it - how? Or move it
    elsewhere - like to sheet two - possible?

    Thanks

    On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 15:31:23 GMT, "Laura" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Glad to hear you figured it out.
    >
    >"Fred" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> Oh, I did go with the COLUMN mode - down for the dates. Comments - well, I would merely fill that
    >> with (G) symbols (G)
    >>
    >> On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 19:17:09 -0800, Fred <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >> >THANKS, EVERYONE. Variations on a theme.
    >> >
    >> >When I tried doing something last week, all I wound up with were what I will call "literals."
    >> >That is Just like labels - not DATES which would propagate.
    >> >
    >> >Now I've got it. Altho, I must admit my fairly linear weightloss is quite boring as a
    >> >CHART/GRAPH (G) But now I can look, at say, this date last year on the computer and see how much
    >> >I weighed and what hike/etc I was doing. Now to put a shortcut in my Nutrition folder on the
    >> >desktop.
    >> >
    >> >Again, thanks.

  12. Laura

    Laura Guest

    Nothing fancy but try this: http://home.att.net/~extra623/weightchart.xls.

    Just change your dates & weights to match yours. You will have to go into the chart (right click
    weight axis) and adjust the max/min weights to match yours. Mine are 250 & 140 starting at the end
    of April 2003.

    "Laura" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
    > I'll post something tonight. I've only got about 1/2 hr before I leave for work.
    >
    > "Fred" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Laura might be able to provide a better way to chart something if based on data from her
    > > spreadsheet model. Especially, since not being an Excel person, mine seems truly almost
    > > worthless. That may be because I've charted the year+ and it shows NO detail whatsoever - just a
    > > very slightly sloping line and I mean slightly.
    > >
    > > Laura???
    > >
    > > On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 23:02:04 -0500, "bird" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > > >Once you put all the work into your spreadsheet any chance of you
    sharing
    > > >it? I have Laura's spreadsheet that is great but I think it would be helpful to have a chart
    > > >for progress. Bird "Fred" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > >news:[email protected]...

  13. Fred

    Fred Guest

    Ah, found the move to sheet ability and then was able to move it slowly to the upper left side of
    that sheet.

    I was never really a spreadsheet person but did do pretty well with Lotus 123 which I still use on
    my HP200 Palmtop - it was built in. I still use it regularly to log my activity totals and have some
    macros the search for some of my standard trips. About 2 months ago I tried moving it to Excel but
    was having some real issues (G)

    But I still have Lotus 2.4 on both the palmtop and this desktop - so they are in sync.

    Thanks, again

    On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 07:48:49 -0800, Fred <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Yes, and just now I added a LOSS column showing the change. I see that last year at this time I
    >weighted 191 pounds.
    >
    >But.... (G)
    >
    >I created a chart or graph and it is "overlaying" much of my data. Hide it - how? Or move it
    >elsewhere - like to sheet two - possible?
    >
    >Thanks
    >

    >On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 15:31:23 GMT, "Laura" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>Glad to hear you figured it out.
    >>
    >>"Fred" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>news:[email protected]...
    >>> Oh, I did go with the COLUMN mode - down for the dates. Comments - well, I would merely fill
    >>> that with (G) symbols (G)

  14. Laura

    Laura Guest

    I only do one chart per graph unless they have similar scales. So in your case charting the actual
    weight should be on a different graph from the weight lost one.

    > Yes, and just now I added a LOSS column showing the change. I see that last year at this time I
    > weighted 191 pounds.
    >
    > But.... (G)
    >
    > I created a chart or graph and it is "overlaying" much of my data. Hide it - how? Or move it
    > elsewhere - like to sheet two - possible?
    >
    > Thanks
    >

    > On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 15:31:23 GMT, "Laura" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Glad to hear you figured it out.
    > >
    > >"Fred" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >news:[email protected]...
    > >> Oh, I did go with the COLUMN mode - down for the dates. Comments - well, I would merely fill
    > >> that with (G) symbols (G)

  15. Fred

    Fred Guest

    Thanks - I will check it out

    On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 13:20:00 GMT, "Laura" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Nothing fancy but try this: http://home.att.net/~extra623/weightchart.xls.
    >
    >Just change your dates & weights to match yours. You will have to go into the chart (right click
    >weight axis) and adjust the max/min weights to match yours. Mine are 250 & 140 starting at the end
    >of April 2003.
    >
    >"Laura" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    >news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
    >> I'll post something tonight. I've only got about 1/2 hr before I leave for work.
    >>
    >> "Fred" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]...
    >> > Laura might be able to provide a better way to chart something if based on data from her
    >> > spreadsheet model. Especially, since not being an Excel person, mine seems truly almost
    >> > worthless. That may be because I've charted the year+ and it shows NO detail whatsoever - just
    >> > a very slightly sloping line and I mean slightly.
    >> >
    >> > Laura???

    >sharing

  16. Fred

    Fred Guest

    I like it. Now to see if I can learn from it (G)

    Like how you got labels that are monthly? Where the data was mapped from, etc, etc.. It may involves
    years of exploration in which I will have no time to consume Miss Meringues or dried fruit or
    chocolates! (G)

    On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 13:20:00 GMT, "Laura" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Nothing fancy but try this: http://home.att.net/~extra623/weightchart.xls.
    >
    >Just change your dates & weights to match yours. You will have to go into the chart (right click
    >weight axis) and adjust the max/min weights to match yours. Mine are 250 & 140 starting at the end
    >of April 2003.
    >
    >"Laura" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    >news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
    >> I'll post something tonight. I've only got about 1/2 hr before I leave for work.
    >>
    >> "Fred" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]...
    >> > Laura might be able to provide a better way to chart something if based on data from her
    >> > spreadsheet model. Especially, since not being an Excel person, mine seems truly almost
    >> > worthless. That may be because I've charted the year+ and it shows NO detail whatsoever - just
    >> > a very slightly sloping line and I mean slightly.
    >> >
    >> > Laura???

    >sharing

  17. Bird

    Bird Guest

    That is awesome Laura. Thanks for taking the time to share your talents. Bird

    "Laura" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
    > Nothing fancy but try this: http://home.att.net/~extra623/weightchart.xls.
    >
    > Just change your dates & weights to match yours. You will have to go into the chart (right click
    > weight axis) and adjust the max/min weights to
    match
    > yours. Mine are 250 & 140 starting at the end of April 2003.
    >
    > "Laura" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
    > > I'll post something tonight. I've only got about 1/2 hr before I leave
    for
    > > work.
    > >
    > > "Fred" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > Laura might be able to provide a better way to chart something if based on data from her
    > > > spreadsheet model. Especially, since not being an Excel person, mine seems truly almost
    > > > worthless. That may be because I've charted the year+ and it shows NO detail whatsoever - just
    > > > a very slightly sloping line and I mean slightly.
    > > >
    > > > Laura???

    > sharing
    spread

  18. Laura

    Laura Guest

    I haven't used Lotus in about 10 years. It was hard for me to switch to excel. I did really
    good with lotus macros but have not had much practise with it using excel. Different jobs,
    different needs.

    > Ah, found the move to sheet ability and then was able to move it slowly to the upper left side of
    > that sheet.
    >
    > I was never really a spreadsheet person but did do pretty well with Lotus 123 which I still use on
    > my HP200 Palmtop - it was built in. I still use it regularly to log my activity totals and have
    > some macros the search for some of my standard trips. About 2 months ago I tried moving it to
    > Excel but was having some real issues (G)
    >
    > But I still have Lotus 2.4 on both the palmtop and this desktop - so they are in sync.
    >
    > Thanks, again
    >
    > On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 07:48:49 -0800, Fred <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Yes, and just now I added a LOSS column showing the change. I see that last year at this time I
    > >weighted 191 pounds.
    > >
    > >But.... (G)
    > >
    > >I created a chart or graph and it is "overlaying" much of my data. Hide it - how? Or move it
    > >elsewhere - like to sheet two - possible?
    > >
    > >Thanks
    > >

    > >On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 15:31:23 GMT, "Laura" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > >>Glad to hear you figured it out.
    > >>
    > >>"Fred" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >>news:[email protected]...

  19. Laura

    Laura Guest

    You're welcome. I'm a computer software geek wannabee <g>. I like playing with these spreadsheets.

    "bird" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > That is awesome Laura. Thanks for taking the time to share your talents. Bird
    >
    > "Laura" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
    > > Nothing fancy but try this:
    http://home.att.net/~extra623/weightchart.xls.

    > > Just change your dates & weights to match yours. You will have to go
    into
    > > the chart (right click weight axis) and adjust the max/min weights to
    > match
    > > yours. Mine are 250 & 140 starting at the end of April 2003.
    > >
    > > "Laura" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > > news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
    > > > I'll post something tonight. I've only got about 1/2 hr before I leave
    > for
    > > > work.
    > > >
    > > > "Fred" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > > news:[email protected]...
    being

    > > sharing
    > spread
    > curious

    > have
    > top

  20. Laura

    Laura Guest

    To see where the data is mapped from just click on the graphed line. The data ranges will be
    highlighted for you.

    All that I did to create the graph is to create the 2 columns: Date & weight. The software assumes
    that the first variable is the x axis (left to right). It has been formated to use the date format
    in the form of mm/dd/yy. This will automatically put the dates at the bottom of the graph. The data
    is set up as weekly to represent my unofficial WW weighins. The next column (weight) is the y-axis
    (up and down).

    Now go have a chocolate for me. I've run out of points for today.