Excellent Radio 4 prog today

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Dirtylitterboxo, Feb 25, 2004.

  1. On sppeding and doing a wonderful counter to the arguments of the speedophiles. It was a joy to
    listen to.

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/factual/thinkingallowed.shtml

    There's a "Listen Again" facility on the page

    Cheers, helen s

  2. Simonb

    Simonb Guest

  3. Alex Ferrier

    Alex Ferrier Guest

    > On sppeding and <snip>

    *yawn*

    --
    Alex BMW R1150GS DIAABTCOD#3 MSWF#4 UKRMFBC#6 Ibw#35 BOB#8 http://www.team-ukrm.co.uk Windy's
    "little soldier"

  4. Velvet

    Velvet Guest

    Simonb wrote:

    > dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers wrote:
    >

    >>http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/factual/thinkingallowed.shtml
    >>
    >>There's a "Listen Again" facility on the page
    >

    > I can't tell you how much I hate the Beeb's continued use of Real Media. Grrr.
    >
    > Real Player == shitware
    >
    > Simon

    Here here.

    Velvet

  5. Sam Salt

    Sam Salt Guest

    Velvet wrote:
    > Simonb wrote:
    >
    >> dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers wrote:
    >>

    >>> http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/factual/thinkingallowed.shtml
    >>>
    >>> There's a "Listen Again" facility on the page
    >>

    >> I can't tell you how much I hate the Beeb's continued use of Real Media. Grrr.
    >>
    >> Real Player == shitware
    >>
    >> Simon
    >>

    > Here here.
    >
    > Velvet

    Have you tried Real Alternative,all the advantages and none of the crap.

    http://home.hccnet.nl/h.edskes/finalbuilds.htm

    (Scroll down about half way)

    Sam Salt

    ---

  6. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>, Simonb
    ('[email protected]') wrote:

    > dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers wrote:
    >
    >> http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/factual/thinkingallowed.shtml
    >>
    >> There's a "Listen Again" facility on the page
    >
    > I can't tell you how much I hate the Beeb's continued use of Real Media. Grrr.
    >
    > Real Player == shitware

    So what would you prefer they used instead? The products of the world's biggest illegal monopoly?

    The Conservative Party now has the support of a smaller proportion of the electorate in Scotland
    than Sinn Fein have in Northern Ireland.

  7. Simonb

    Simonb Guest

    Simon Brooke wrote:

    > So what would you prefer they used instead? The products of the world's biggest illegal monopoly?

    I don't want streaming internet media. If I want a live stream, I'll switch on the radio or
    the telly.

    If it's archived stuff, then MP3 is fine with me. I can wait the minute or two for it to arrive. I
    can make a cup of tea in that time.

    Simon

  8. Burt

    Burt Guest

  9. Simonb

    Simonb Guest

    burt wrote:

    > Where? where?

    There, there.

    Simon

  10. Velvet

    Velvet Guest

    Simonb wrote:

    > burt wrote:
    >

    >>Where? where?
    >

    > There, there.
    >
    > Simon

    Daft buggers :)

    Velvet

  11. On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 23:12:12 -0000, Simonb
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Simon Brooke wrote:
    >
    >> So what would you prefer they used instead? The products of the world's biggest illegal monopoly?
    >
    > I don't want streaming internet media. If I want a live stream, I'll switch on the radio or
    > the telly.
    >
    > If it's archived stuff, then MP3 is fine with me. I can wait the minute or two for it to arrive. I
    > can make a cup of tea in that time.

    I would guess there are copyright reasons for it being streamed.

    Colin
    --

  12. Frobnitz

    Frobnitz Guest

    "Sam Salt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Velvet wrote:
    > > Simonb wrote:
    > >> I can't tell you how much I hate the Beeb's continued use of Real Media. Grrr.
    > >>
    > >> Real Player == shitware

    Oy vey...

    > > Here here.
    > >
    > > Velvet
    >
    > Have you tried Real Alternative,all the advantages and none of the crap.
    >
    > http://home.hccnet.nl/h.edskes/finalbuilds.htm
    >
    > (Scroll down about half way)

    I found out a couple of days ago that there's also a version of Real Player, only available via the
    links on the BBC's website, that is apparently free of the alleged Spyware in the usual version of
    Real Player.

    url:http://boingboing.net/2004_02_01_archive.html#107565322512239056

    People will say that the data mining/advertising involved in a lot of these utilities is okay
    because it's not hidden, and you can just not use it - which is fine - I don't use it.

    I too use RealAlternative (the guy hasn't responded to my e-mail suggesting that he calls it Fake),
    and it works just tickety-boo.