Excess Skin ??????

Hi everyone,

I am 17/m, and am from the UK, i lost just over 12 stone a year ago as
i hated the way i was i am now 11 stone 9 pounds, i cannot be sure but
i have lost approximately 13 stone, it has been 18 months now since i
lost the weight and i have alot of excess skin on my stomach and legs.

I have done many exercises that stretches the muscles and so on but
nothing works, i have also read on many websites that excess skin is
not something that can really go and does need suregory, i have made an
appointment with my doctor for next week to ask him about having
surgeory on the NHS as i don't have approx £10,000.00 for private
surgery, i am really worried that he will say no even thou my GP knows
how big i was in the past even when i show hime the excess skin i got a
feeling that he will say no,

i just want to know can anyone give me advice on the best way to ask my
GP about it, i don't want to go and see him and let him think i am
posessed and i want to go to him but not sure how to ask him about it.

Can anyone give me advice on how to approach my GP to ask him?

i know this sounds a daft question but i want to start going out and
enjoying myself and have a relationship but as i am at the moment i
just have not enough confidence. I though loosing the weight would
change my life but it didn't change it as expected due to the excess
skin.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thank you

[email protected] wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I am 17/m, and am from the UK, i lost just over 12 stone a year ago as
> i hated the way i was i am now 11 stone 9 pounds, i cannot be sure but
> i have lost approximately 13 stone, it has been 18 months now since i
> lost the weight and i have alot of excess skin on my stomach and legs.
>
> I have done many exercises that stretches the muscles and so on but
> nothing works, i have also read on many websites that excess skin is
> not something that can really go and does need suregory, i have made
> an appointment with my doctor for next week to ask him about having
> surgeory on the NHS as i don't have approx £10,000.00 for private
> surgery, i am really worried that he will say no even thou my GP knows
> how big i was in the past even when i show hime the excess skin i got
> a feeling that he will say no,
>
> i just want to know can anyone give me advice on the best way to ask
> my GP about it, i don't want to go and see him and let him think i am
> posessed and i want to go to him but not sure how to ask him about it.
>
> Can anyone give me advice on how to approach my GP to ask him?

If you try to give the impression that the excess skin is seriously
affecting your mental health and causing depression that would probably
help. It might even be accurate.

Otherwise, don't expect too much, don't expect anything soon, the NHS are a
bunch of cheapskates.

Peter

[email protected] wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I am 17/m, and am from the UK, i lost just over 12 stone a year ago

as
> i hated the way i was i am now 11 stone 9 pounds, i cannot be sure

but
> i have lost approximately 13 stone, it has been 18 months now since i
> lost the weight and i have alot of excess skin on my stomach and

legs.

> I have done many exercises that stretches the muscles and so on but
> nothing works, i have also read on many websites that excess skin is
> not something that can really go and does need suregory, i have made

an
> appointment with my doctor for next week to ask him about having
> surgeory on the NHS as i don't have approx £10,000.00 for private
> surgery, i am really worried that he will say no even thou my GP

knows
> how big i was in the past even when i show hime the excess skin i got

> feeling that he will say no,
>
> i just want to know can anyone give me advice on the best way to ask

my
> GP about it, i don't want to go and see him and let him think i am
> posessed and i want to go to him but not sure how to ask him about

it.

> Can anyone give me advice on how to approach my GP to ask him?

On some of the plastic surgery shows I've seen, they've shown people
with a lot of excess skin that was flopping around when they walked and
affecting their mobility. Maybe you could tell him something like that.
I would think he'd be more likely to help you if you say it's actually
causing physical discomfort, beyond the appearance and confidence
issues.

> i know this sounds a daft question but i want to start going out and
> enjoying myself and have a relationship but as i am at the moment i
> just have not enough confidence.

It's not a daft question at all. Talking to doctors isn't always easy,
and they may not understand or care about what's really important to
you. So it's hardly daft to ask for advice about how to talk to them.

If you've lost that much weight in such a short time, then you've surely
lost muscle too. You could try a fitness routine to build muscle and
maybe this will help too, how much I don't know as I don't know how
bad your skin is hanging.

Geezer From The Freezer wrote:
> If you've lost that much weight in such a short time, then you've surely
> lost muscle too. You could try a fitness routine to build muscle and
> maybe this will help too, how much I don't know as I don't know how
> bad your skin is hanging.

Are you suggesting that this guy is going to be able to gain enough
muscle to compensate for losing 162.5 pounds??? Maybe if he has access
to a lot of anabolic/androgenic steroids, but that's not going to help
the skin around his gut. Assuming no steroids, his option is really
plastic surgery. The skin on the gut and arms is not going to be filled
with muscle after such weight loss.

GG was right in terms of 'pitching' this to his doctor. He needs to try
and sell it as a mobility issue at the minimum, as well as a perhaps a
hygeine issue and a mental health issue ('I just feel so depressed with
all this skin hanging off me, I don't know how much longer I can handle
it').

Ari

http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/

geek_girl wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
>
>>Hi everyone,
>>
>>I am 17/m, and am from the UK, i lost just over 12 stone a year ago

> as
>
>>i hated the way i was i am now 11 stone 9 pounds, i cannot be sure

> but
>
>>i have lost approximately 13 stone, it has been 18 months now since i
>>lost the weight and i have alot of excess skin on my stomach and

> legs.
>
>>I have done many exercises that stretches the muscles and so on but
>>nothing works, i have also read on many websites that excess skin is
>>not something that can really go and does need suregory, i have made

> an
>
>>appointment with my doctor for next week to ask him about having
>>surgeory on the NHS as i don't have approx £10,000.00 for private
>>surgery, i am really worried that he will say no even thou my GP

> knows
>
>>how big i was in the past even when i show hime the excess skin i got

>>feeling that he will say no,
>>
>>i just want to know can anyone give me advice on the best way to ask

> my
>
>>GP about it, i don't want to go and see him and let him think i am
>>posessed and i want to go to him but not sure how to ask him about

> it.
>
>>Can anyone give me advice on how to approach my GP to ask him?

> On some of the plastic surgery shows I've seen, they've shown people
> with a lot of excess skin that was flopping around when they walked and
> affecting their mobility. Maybe you could tell him something like that.
> I would think he'd be more likely to help you if you say it's actually
> causing physical discomfort, beyond the appearance and confidence
> issues.
>

>>i know this sounds a daft question but i want to start going out and
>>enjoying myself and have a relationship but as i am at the moment i
>>just have not enough confidence.

> It's not a daft question at all. Talking to doctors isn't always easy,
> and they may not understand or care about what's really important to
> you. So it's hardly daft to ask for advice about how to talk to them.

My wife suggests he contact one of the television make-over shows. you
get a good surgeon and costs covered, and this is just the sort of thing
these shows look for. You just have to be willing to be filmed, and
that's no small deal when your body image isn't the greatest.

I agree with you in terms of selling this to his GP. He might also want
to spin it as a hygeine and mental health issue as I said in my other
post in this thread.

Ari

Ari

http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/

spodosaurus wrote:

> Geezer From The Freezer wrote:
> > If you've lost that much weight in such a short time, then you've surely
> > lost muscle too. You could try a fitness routine to build muscle and
> > maybe this will help too, how much I don't know as I don't know how
> > bad your skin is hanging.

> Are you suggesting that this guy is going to be able to gain enough
> muscle to compensate for losing 162.5 pounds??? Maybe if he has access
> to a lot of anabolic/androgenic steroids, but that's not going to help
> the skin around his gut. Assuming no steroids, his option is really
> plastic surgery. The skin on the gut and arms is not going to be filled
> with muscle after such weight loss.

No, but I expect the excess skin is not relative to the amount of weight lost.
I expect as he was losing weight, the skin was adjusting, but not fast enough
in comparison to the the weight lost. Therefore bulking up with muscle may
make the excess skin look less visible.

Geezer From The Freezer wrote:

> spodosaurus wrote:
>
>>Geezer From The Freezer wrote:
>>
>>>If you've lost that much weight in such a short time, then you've surely
>>>lost muscle too. You could try a fitness routine to build muscle and
>>>maybe this will help too, how much I don't know as I don't know how
>>>bad your skin is hanging.

>>Are you suggesting that this guy is going to be able to gain enough
>>muscle to compensate for losing 162.5 pounds??? Maybe if he has access
>>to a lot of anabolic/androgenic steroids, but that's not going to help
>>the skin around his gut. Assuming no steroids, his option is really
>>plastic surgery. The skin on the gut and arms is not going to be filled
>>with muscle after such weight loss.
>>

> No, but I expect the excess skin is not relative to the amount of weight lost.
> I expect as he was losing weight, the skin was adjusting, but not fast enough
> in comparison to the the weight lost. Therefore bulking up with muscle may
> make the excess skin look less visible.

The skin won't adjust very much. When you gain weight, the skin grows or
gets stretch marks or both. When you lose it, the body leaves the excess
as-is.

http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/

[email protected] wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I am 17/m, and am from the UK, i lost just over 12 stone a year ago as
> i hated the way i was i am now 11 stone 9 pounds, i cannot be sure but
> i have lost approximately 13 stone, it has been 18 months now since i
> lost the weight and i have alot of excess skin on my stomach and legs.

<snip>

> i know this sounds a daft question but i want to start going out and
> enjoying myself and have a relationship but as i am at the moment i
> just have not enough confidence. I though loosing the weight would
> change my life but it didn't change it as expected due to the excess
> skin.

What's your body fat percentage? On all the
plastic surgery shows I see the people with
"excess skin" problems still have some fat to
lose, and in IMHO if they lost the rest of that
fat the skin would tighten up.

Has anyone seen pictures from Andersonville or a
Nazi concentration camp where the person is on the
verge of starvation yet has rolls of excess skin
hanging off of them?

Pinch your excess "skin". Is it paper thin? If
not, there's still fat under there.

--
Scott Johnson / scottjohnson at kc dot rr dot com

[email protected] wrote:
: Hi everyone,
:
[...]

You need to be able to claim that extra skin is causing you medical
problems - rash, etc. Some sand paper might help before seeing the doctor.

spodosaurus wrote:
:: Geezer From The Freezer wrote:
:::
::: spodosaurus wrote:
:::
:::: Geezer From The Freezer wrote:
::::
[...]
::
:: The skin won't adjust very much. When you gain weight, the skin
:: grows or gets stretch marks or both. When you lose it, the body
:: leaves the excess as-is.

There is some elasticity, so time may indeed help him, moreso if he is
young.. How much, however, really depends on the person. For some, it can
be a lot, for others, not so much. As usual, it depends.

Roger Zoul wrote:

> There is some elasticity, so time may indeed help him, moreso if he is
> young.. How much, however, really depends on the person. For some, it can
> be a lot, for others, not so much. As usual, it depends.

Thanks Roger, this is part of the point I was trying to make (I obviously didn't
come across as such). Skin will adjust, just depends how much, which is why I
said
bulking a bit *may* help.

Roger Zoul wrote:
> spodosaurus wrote:
> :: Geezer From The Freezer wrote:
> :::
> ::: spodosaurus wrote:
> :::
> :::: Geezer From The Freezer wrote:
> ::::
> ::::: If you've lost that much weight in such a short time, then you've
> ::::: surely lost muscle too. You could try a fitness routine to build
> ::::: muscle and maybe this will help too, how much I don't know as I
> ::::: don't know how
> ::::: bad your skin is hanging.
> ::::
> :::: Are you suggesting that this guy is going to be able to gain enough
> :::: muscle to compensate for losing 162.5 pounds??? Maybe if he has
> :::: access to a lot of anabolic/androgenic steroids, but that's not
> :::: going to help the skin around his gut. Assuming no steroids, his
> :::: option is really plastic surgery. The skin on the gut and arms is
> :::: not going to be filled with muscle after such weight loss.
> ::::
> ::::
> :::
> ::: No, but I expect the excess skin is not relative to the amount of
> ::: weight lost. I expect as he was losing weight, the skin was
> ::: adjusting, but not fast enough in comparison to the the weight
> ::: lost. Therefore bulking up with muscle may make the excess skin
> ::: look less visible.
> ::
> :: The skin won't adjust very much. When you gain weight, the skin
> :: grows or gets stretch marks or both. When you lose it, the body
> :: leaves the excess as-is.
>
> There is some elasticity, so time may indeed help him, moreso if he is
> young.. How much, however, really depends on the person. For some, it can
> be a lot, for others, not so much. As usual, it depends.

Yes, but unless this guy has figured out how to create
micro-singularities within his dermis to cause it to collapse upon
itself, the collagen fibres will not contract anywhere near enough to
make a significant dent in the problem. This guy lost almost as much as
I weigh! I challenge you to find a way to give birth to a full grown man
and have your skin return to normal afterwards :)

http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/

Roger Zoul wrote:
> spodosaurus wrote:
> :: Roger Zoul wrote:
> ::: spodosaurus wrote:
> ::::: Geezer From The Freezer wrote:
> ::::::
> :::::: spodosaurus wrote:
> ::::::
> ::::::: Geezer From The Freezer wrote:
> :::::::
> :::::::: If you've lost that much weight in such a short time, then
> :::::::: you've surely lost muscle too. You could try a fitness routine
> :::::::: to build muscle and maybe this will help too, how much I don't
> :::::::: know as I don't know how
> :::::::: bad your skin is hanging.
> :::::::
> ::::::: Are you suggesting that this guy is going to be able to gain
> ::::::: enough muscle to compensate for losing 162.5 pounds??? Maybe if
> ::::::: he has access to a lot of anabolic/androgenic steroids, but
> ::::::: that's not going to help the skin around his gut. Assuming no
> ::::::: steroids, his option is really plastic surgery. The skin on the
> ::::::: gut and arms is not going to be filled with muscle after such
> ::::::: weight loss.
> :::::::
> :::::::
> ::::::
> :::::: No, but I expect the excess skin is not relative to the amount of
> :::::: weight lost. I expect as he was losing weight, the skin was
> :::::: adjusting, but not fast enough in comparison to the the weight
> :::::: lost. Therefore bulking up with muscle may make the excess skin
> :::::: look less visible.
> :::::
> ::::: The skin won't adjust very much. When you gain weight, the skin
> ::::: grows or gets stretch marks or both. When you lose it, the body
> ::::: leaves the excess as-is.
> :::
> ::: There is some elasticity, so time may indeed help him, moreso if he
> ::: is young.. How much, however, really depends on the person. For
> ::: some, it can be a lot, for others, not so much. As usual, it
> ::: depends.
> ::
> :: Yes, but unless this guy has figured out how to create
> :: micro-singularities within his dermis to cause it to collapse upon
> :: itself, the collagen fibres will not contract anywhere near enough to
> :: make a significant dent in the problem. This guy lost almost as much
> :: as I weigh! I challenge you to find a way to give birth to a full
> :: grown man and have your skin return to normal afterwards :)
>
> ;)
>
> But that's not my point at all. what I'm saying is that since he lost
> weight quickly, he probably ought to wait a while before having excess skin
> removed. there will/can be some shrinkage of the skin, given time. Will it
> return completely to normal - I don't think so (it hasn't for me). I've
> lost over 132 lbs so I do have some experience with it.

He's been waiting for a year and a half now, though :-( Remember when
you were 17? Imagine how this guy is feeling at that age. I'm absolutely
no fan of surgery, but in this case given his age, his apparent
distress, and the length of time he's already waited I think his focus
on a surgical solution is not unreasonable.

Cheers,

Ari

http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/

spodosaurus wrote:
:: Roger Zoul wrote:
::: spodosaurus wrote:
::::: Geezer From The Freezer wrote:
::::::
:::::: spodosaurus wrote:
::::::
[...]

On Thu, 7 Apr 2005 09:50:34 -0400, "Roger Zoul"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>[email protected] wrote:
>: Hi everyone,
>:
>: I am 17/m, and am from the UK, i lost just over 12 stone a year ago as
>: i hated the way i was i am now 11 stone 9 pounds, i cannot be sure but
>: i have lost approximately 13 stone, it has been 18 months now since i
>: lost the weight and i have alot of excess skin on my stomach and legs.
>:
>: I have done many exercises that stretches the muscles and so on but
>: nothing works, i have also read on many websites that excess skin is
>: not something that can really go and does need suregory, i have made
>: an appointment with my doctor for next week to ask him about having
>: surgeory on the NHS as i don't have approx £10,000.00 for private
>: surgery, i am really worried that he will say no even thou my GP knows
>: how big i was in the past even when i show hime the excess skin i got
>: a feeling that he will say no,
>:
>: i just want to know can anyone give me advice on the best way to ask
>: my GP about it, i don't want to go and see him and let him think i am
>: posessed and i want to go to him but not sure how to ask him about it.
>:
>: Can anyone give me advice on how to approach my GP to ask him?
>:
>: i know this sounds a daft question but i want to start going out and
>: enjoying myself and have a relationship but as i am at the moment i
>: just have not enough confidence. I though loosing the weight would
>: change my life but it didn't change it as expected due to the excess
>: skin.
>:
>: Any advice would be very much appreciated.
>
>You need to be able to claim that extra skin is causing you medical
>problems - rash, etc. Some sand paper might help before seeing the doctor.

Ooooh, great idea. A little poison ivy infestation under the flaps
would also be nastily convincing. Hmm, that's assuming there's any
Rhus genus plants on that side of the pond. But yeah, something
allergic. Don't want it in your eyes or on your sausage, though.
It's bad, bad, bad.

-----------
Proton Soup

"And all this peace has been deceiving,
I need some wind to get me sailing"

spodosaurus wrote:
:: Roger Zoul wrote:
::: spodosaurus wrote:
::::: Roger Zoul wrote:
:::::: spodosaurus wrote:
:::::::: Geezer From The Freezer wrote:
:::::::::
::::::::: spodosaurus wrote:
:::::::::
:::::::::: Geezer From The Freezer wrote:
::::::::::
[...]
::::::::
[...]
::: ;)
:::
::: But that's not my point at all. what I'm saying is that since he
::: lost weight quickly, he probably ought to wait a while before
::: having excess skin removed. there will/can be some shrinkage of
::: the skin, given time. Will it return completely to normal - I
::: don't think so (it hasn't for me). I've lost over 132 lbs so I do
::: have some experience with it.
::
:: He's been waiting for a year and a half now, though :-( Remember when
:: you were 17? Imagine how this guy is feeling at that age. I'm
:: absolutely no fan of surgery, but in this case given his age, his
:: apparent distress, and the length of time he's already waited I
:: think his focus on a surgical solution is not unreasonable.
::
:: Cheers,

True. But at 17 he can still add some muscle and the skin may still draw
in. I'd suggest he try beefing up a bit first and then consider the surgery
later. I don't think it makes sense to have surgery at his age when he can
still change quite a bit. It would be totally different if he were my age,
47.

I'd bet that a decent doctor would advise him to wait.

Oh, I was pretty fat when I was 17....I think it kept me out of trouble :)

In article <[email protected]>,
spodosaurus <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote:

> Geezer From The Freezer wrote:
> >
> > spodosaurus wrote:

> >>Are you suggesting that this guy is going to be able to gain enough
> >>muscle to compensate for losing 162.5 pounds??? Maybe if he has access
> >>to a lot of anabolic/androgenic steroids, but that's not going to help
> >>the skin around his gut. Assuming no steroids, his option is really
> >>plastic surgery. The skin on the gut and arms is not going to be filled
> >>with muscle after such weight loss.
> >>

> > No, but I expect the excess skin is not relative to the amount of weight
> > lost.
> > I expect as he was losing weight, the skin was adjusting, but not fast
> > enough
> > in comparison to the the weight lost. Therefore bulking up with muscle may
> > make the excess skin look less visible.

> The skin won't adjust very much. When you gain weight, the skin grows or
> gets stretch marks or both. When you lose it, the body leaves the excess
> as-is.

Somewhat...
I'm anticipating the same problem when I lose the amount of weight that
I want. I've already spoken with the local plastic surgeon and he told
me to give it one year to adjust before coming back to him, that it
would shrink back a little.

He also said that he'd have no problem being able to get the surgery
paid for by my insurance. ;-)

Weight loss goal: 123 lbs.

Down 33 so far since Jan 4th.

Speaking of which, one of the nutrition lists I frequent says that 10
lbs. per month is too much too fast.

I don't agree.

Opinions?
--
Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

In article <[email protected]>,
"Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote:

> [email protected] wrote:
> : Hi everyone,
> :
> : I am 17/m, and am from the UK, i lost just over 12 stone a year ago as
> : i hated the way i was i am now 11 stone 9 pounds, i cannot be sure but
> : i have lost approximately 13 stone, it has been 18 months now since i
> : lost the weight and i have alot of excess skin on my stomach and legs.
> :
> : I have done many exercises that stretches the muscles and so on but
> : nothing works, i have also read on many websites that excess skin is
> : not something that can really go and does need suregory, i have made
> : an appointment with my doctor for next week to ask him about having
> : surgeory on the NHS as i don't have approx £10,000.00 for private
> : surgery, i am really worried that he will say no even thou my GP knows
> : how big i was in the past even when i show hime the excess skin i got
> : a feeling that he will say no,
> :
> : i just want to know can anyone give me advice on the best way to ask
> : my GP about it, i don't want to go and see him and let him think i am
> : posessed and i want to go to him but not sure how to ask him about it.
> :
> : Can anyone give me advice on how to approach my GP to ask him?
> :
> : i know this sounds a daft question but i want to start going out and
> : enjoying myself and have a relationship but as i am at the moment i
> : just have not enough confidence. I though loosing the weight would
> : change my life but it didn't change it as expected due to the excess
> : skin.
> :
> : Any advice would be very much appreciated.
>
> You need to be able to claim that extra skin is causing you medical
> problems - rash, etc. Some sand paper might help before seeing the doctor.

Or just don't wash for a week. :p

Blech!

Dr. Elbel told me that skin flaps did often cause health problems such
as yeast infections and boils due to the sweating etc. If you don't
state it as a cosmetic problem, there should be no trouble getting it
done.

Good luck and keep us posted please!
--
> [...]

> > :: as I weigh! I challenge you to find a way to give birth to a full
> > :: grown man and have your skin return to normal afterwards :)
> >
> > ;)
> >
> > But that's not my point at all. what I'm saying is that since he lost
> > weight quickly, he probably ought to wait a while before having excess skin
> > removed. there will/can be some shrinkage of the skin, given time. Will it
> > return completely to normal - I don't think so (it hasn't for me). I've
> > lost over 132 lbs so I do have some experience with it.

> He's been waiting for a year and a half now, though :-( Remember when
> you were 17? Imagine how this guy is feeling at that age. I'm absolutely
> no fan of surgery, but in this case given his age, his apparent
> distress, and the length of time he's already waited I think his focus
> on a surgical solution is not unreasonable.

If he's waited that long, that's long enough....
As long as he is sure he's made the right lifestyle adjustments to KEEP
it off permanently, it's time to go see a (good!) plastic surgeon!

Get references. LOTS of them!