excessive urination

Discussion in 'Health Nutrition and Supplements' started by slasher, Oct 18, 2004.

1. slasher

slasher New Member

Recently on a long ride (la Marmotte 174ks) I was consuming water and a well known carbohydrate drink at the rate of about 2 liters per hour and I found myself having to stop and pee about every 15 mins, I am not diabetic and did not have any infection and I thought this level of liquid consumption is required for this type of endurance ride.Was I overdoing it or could there be some other problem?

Tags:

2. patch70

patch70 New Member

Assuming your kidney function is ~normal (& that you are not diabetic, no UTI etc), then you did overdo it. If you keep slashing all the time even without drinking as much, you need to get it checked out. But if you only slash a lot when you drink that much, then you must have taken in more fluid than you really needed to.

3. dhk

dhk New Member

I think you overdid the fluids as well...2 liters/hour is a lot of drinking. Even in the summer heat and humidity here, one liter per hour seems to be about the max for me. I'll drink about 2/3 water, 1/3 of a 6% sports drink.

4. Roadie_scum

Roadie_scum New Member

That's around or slightly more than is consumed by ironman triathetes in Hawaii when it's humid, 37+ degrees celsius and they are performing maximally. I'd say unless it was extremely hot and you were going as hard as you possibly could, you were drinking too much. That you needed to stop and urinate so frequently suggests that you were definitely taking too much in. On the other hand, if you can drink that much sports drink and still feel fine it suggests to me you have a pretty tough gut, which can be a big advantage in endurance/untra-endurance events.