Excited at re-joining cycling again

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by The 13th Man, Feb 22, 2003.

  1. The 13th Man

    The 13th Man Guest

    After an 8-9 year abscence since I sold my trusty Peugeot 12 speed road bike, I've just returned
    from my LBS where I've stuck a deposit down on a Marin Muirwoods, CatEye Lights etc.

    I pick it up Tuesday and I must say, I'm really excited about it! I'm looking forward to the
    excercise it will give me (better than staring at a wall whilst running on a treadmill!) and the
    general experience of cycling which apart from very infrequent blasts on bikes of others, I have
    missed for so long. Plus, I like to think I am doing something for the environment, not to mention
    saving myself cash on the exhorbitant cost of motoring in the UK!

    I imagine that the roads will be even more busy, with even more silly inconsiderate car drivers than
    before, but someone tell me that riding in a city these days is not as much of a death wish as all
    these non-cyclists keep telling me it is....

    Tags:

  2. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    "The 13th Man" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > After an 8-9 year abscence since I sold my trusty Peugeot 12 speed road bike, I've just returned
    > from my LBS where I've stuck a deposit down on a Marin Muirwoods, CatEye Lights etc.
    >
    > I pick it up Tuesday and I must say, I'm really excited about it! I'm looking forward to the
    > excercise it will give me (better than staring at a wall whilst running on a treadmill!) and the
    > general experience of cycling which apart from very infrequent blasts on bikes of others, I have
    > missed for so long. Plus, I like to think I am doing something for the environment, not to mention
    > saving myself cash on the exhorbitant cost of motoring in the UK!
    >
    > I imagine that the roads will be even more busy, with even more silly inconsiderate car drivers
    > than before, but someone tell me that riding in
    > city these days is not as much of a death wish as all these non-cyclists keep telling me it is....

    Welcome back Mr Man. I came back at age 40 five years ago and am now commuting the 24 mile round
    trip to work and clock up about 500 miles a month. You can read some of my experiences on my web
    site. Take care.

  3. Alan Oakley

    Alan Oakley Guest

    I find that riding in London is less of a problem than riding around the main roads in Kent (of
    the beaten track is generally best). The thing that makes it more dangerous IMO is the difference
    in speeds.

    >I imagine that the roads will be even more busy, with even more silly inconsiderate car drivers
    >than before, but someone tell me that riding in a city these days is not as much of a death wish as
    >all these non-cyclists keep telling me it is....

  4. Frank

    Frank Guest

    "Alan Oakley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I find that riding in London is less of a problem than riding around the main roads in Kent (of
    > the beaten track is generally best). The thing that makes it more dangerous IMO is the difference
    > in speeds.

    Yep, but there are some very quiet roads just south of Orpington very quiet with lovely hills
    and views.

  5. The 13th Man <[email protected]> wrote
    > I imagine that the roads will be even more busy, with even more silly inconsiderate car drivers
    > than before, but someone tell me that riding in a city these days is not as much of a death wish
    > as all these non-cyclists keep telling me it is....

    Cycling isn't 100% safe, but neither is walking or driving. My top tips are
    * Be visible. Your purchase of Cateye lights is a good start!
    * Follow traffic laws
    * Let other road users know what you're going to do, e.g. if you're going straight and there's a
    left turn only lane, don't be in that left turn only lane
    * Judge for yourself the utility of cycle provision. In general, cycle paths on pavements are more
    dangerous and less convenient than cycling on the road so feel free to ignore them if they seem
    more of a hassle than something useful. In most cases avoid cycle lanes to the left of left-turn
    only lanes, and cycle lanes that are so narrow that they force you to ride in the gutter (I
    generally put my wheels 2.5 to 3' from the curb whether or not there is a cycle lane present).

    See my bike safety article for more info http://www.myra-simon.com/bike/bike-saf.html

    --
    Myra VanInwegen [email protected] Myra's Bike Pages http://www.myra-simon.com/bike/

  6. > I imagine that the roads will be even more busy, with even more silly inconsiderate car drivers
    > than before, but someone tell me that riding in a city these days is not as much of a death wish
    > as all these non-cyclists keep telling me it is....

    Nope, it's still pretty nice. You mustn't be too dreamy, of course, or you might ride into a parked
    car, or something.

    More cities have bike maps now than used to. London's maps are very good, and free. Cycle City
    Guides publish maps of other cities, and other cities have maps as well. Their main use, I find, is
    showing interesting short cuts tha an ordinary map might not reveal.

    Spring's coming. Have fun

    Jeremy Parker