Excited at re-joining cycling again

The 13th Man

Guest
After an 8-9 year abscence since I sold my trusty Peugeot 12 speed road bike, I've just returned
from my LBS where I've stuck a deposit down on a Marin Muirwoods, CatEye Lights etc.

I pick it up Tuesday and I must say, I'm really excited about it! I'm looking forward to the
excercise it will give me (better than staring at a wall whilst running on a treadmill!) and the
general experience of cycling which apart from very infrequent blasts on bikes of others, I have
missed for so long. Plus, I like to think I am doing something for the environment, not to mention
saving myself cash on the exhorbitant cost of motoring in the UK!

I imagine that the roads will be even more busy, with even more silly inconsiderate car drivers than
before, but someone tell me that riding in a city these days is not as much of a death wish as all
these non-cyclists keep telling me it is....

"The 13th Man" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> After an 8-9 year abscence since I sold my trusty Peugeot 12 speed road bike, I've just returned
> from my LBS where I've stuck a deposit down on a Marin Muirwoods, CatEye Lights etc.
>
> I pick it up Tuesday and I must say, I'm really excited about it! I'm looking forward to the
> excercise it will give me (better than staring at a wall whilst running on a treadmill!) and the
> general experience of cycling which apart from very infrequent blasts on bikes of others, I have
> missed for so long. Plus, I like to think I am doing something for the environment, not to mention
> saving myself cash on the exhorbitant cost of motoring in the UK!
>
> I imagine that the roads will be even more busy, with even more silly inconsiderate car drivers
> than before, but someone tell me that riding in
> city these days is not as much of a death wish as all these non-cyclists keep telling me it is....

Welcome back Mr Man. I came back at age 40 five years ago and am now commuting the 24 mile round
trip to work and clock up about 500 miles a month. You can read some of my experiences on my web
site. Take care.

I find that riding in London is less of a problem than riding around the main roads in Kent (of
the beaten track is generally best). The thing that makes it more dangerous IMO is the difference
in speeds.

>I imagine that the roads will be even more busy, with even more silly inconsiderate car drivers
>than before, but someone tell me that riding in a city these days is not as much of a death wish as
>all these non-cyclists keep telling me it is....

"Alan Oakley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I find that riding in London is less of a problem than riding around the main roads in Kent (of
> the beaten track is generally best). The thing that makes it more dangerous IMO is the difference
> in speeds.

Yep, but there are some very quiet roads just south of Orpington very quiet with lovely hills
and views.

The 13th Man <[email protected]> wrote
> I imagine that the roads will be even more busy, with even more silly inconsiderate car drivers
> than before, but someone tell me that riding in a city these days is not as much of a death wish
> as all these non-cyclists keep telling me it is....

Cycling isn't 100% safe, but neither is walking or driving. My top tips are
* Be visible. Your purchase of Cateye lights is a good start!
* Follow traffic laws
* Let other road users know what you're going to do, e.g. if you're going straight and there's a
left turn only lane, don't be in that left turn only lane
* Judge for yourself the utility of cycle provision. In general, cycle paths on pavements are more
dangerous and less convenient than cycling on the road so feel free to ignore them if they seem
more of a hassle than something useful. In most cases avoid cycle lanes to the left of left-turn
only lanes, and cycle lanes that are so narrow that they force you to ride in the gutter (I
generally put my wheels 2.5 to 3' from the curb whether or not there is a cycle lane present).

See my bike safety article for more info http://www.myra-simon.com/bike/bike-saf.html

--
Myra VanInwegen [email protected] Myra's Bike Pages http://www.myra-simon.com/bike/

> I imagine that the roads will be even more busy, with even more silly inconsiderate car drivers
> than before, but someone tell me that riding in a city these days is not as much of a death wish
> as all these non-cyclists keep telling me it is....

Nope, it's still pretty nice. You mustn't be too dreamy, of course, or you might ride into a parked
car, or something.

More cities have bike maps now than used to. London's maps are very good, and free. Cycle City
Guides publish maps of other cities, and other cities have maps as well. Their main use, I find, is
showing interesting short cuts tha an ordinary map might not reveal.

Spring's coming. Have fun

Jeremy Parker