excuse my ignorance but...Mongoose

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by rick, Jul 9, 2004.

  1. rick

    rick Guest

    whats wrong with the Mongoose brand, I have notice lots of sarcasm here...

    Tags:

  2. On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 10:38:37 -0400, "rick" <rick @ nowhere.com> wrote:

    >whats wrong with the Mongoose brand, I have notice lots of sarcasm here...

    Back in the day--'80s?--Mongoose was a well-regarded bike
    manufacturer. I remember their BMX stuff when I was a kid.

    But, as with many manufacturers, they fell on hard times and went
    bankrupt and were bought out by Pacific Cycle, which is a "department
    store" bicycle manufacturing conglomerate.

    These days, "Mongoose" bicycles sold under that name in places like
    Wal*Mart have NOTHING to do with the well-regarded quality cycles of
    the past; they are cheaply made, cheaply assembled, poorly-adjusted,
    and generally a bad buy for the cycling dollar.

    -Luigi

  3. Elwood Blues

    Elwood Blues Guest

    Nothing wrong with Mongoose if you are just a casual rider and don't care to
    fit in with the bicyclist cliq scene. If you buy one from a dept store,
    check it carefully when you get it home and adjust the seat and bars for
    your liking and make sure the gears/brakes are operating property. Walmart
    has a good return policy if you buy one you don't like or is poorly adjusted
    including giving your money totally back (try that with a 1,000 Trek from a
    bike store 14 days after you buy it). The Walmart where I live at has a
    dedicated bicycle technician who they pay $9 an hour. Dick's Sporting Goods
    also usually has a dedicated bicycle technican who can do repairs and adjust
    the bike for you on the spot. If you know what you are doing a little bit, a
    department store bicycle will give you very bit of the exercise and fun of a
    ovepriced $1,000 Trek.

    I just rode a department store Mongoose hybrid from Columbia SC to Gaffney,
    SC and return with 214 miles ridden including a 90 day ride just this week
    over 3 days averaging 14mph carrying a 40 pound load on a rear steel rack.

    --
    Elwood Blues

  4. kantspel

    kantspel Guest

    Luigi de Guzman wrote:
    > On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 10:38:37 -0400, "rick" <rick @ nowhere.com> wrote:
    >

    >>whats wrong with the Mongoose brand, I have notice lots of sarcasm here...

    > Back in the day--'80s?--Mongoose was a well-regarded bike
    > manufacturer. I remember their BMX stuff when I was a kid.
    >
    > But, as with many manufacturers, they fell on hard times and went
    > bankrupt and were bought out by Pacific Cycle, which is a "department
    > store" bicycle manufacturing conglomerate.
    >
    > These days, "Mongoose" bicycles sold under that name in places like
    > Wal*Mart have NOTHING to do with the well-regarded quality cycles of
    > the past; they are cheaply made, cheaply assembled, poorly-adjusted,
    > and generally a bad buy for the cycling dollar.
    >
    > -Luigi

    BUT, mongoose does make decent bikes too, so to joe blow consumer it
    can be confusing.

  5. Badger_South

    Badger_South Guest

    On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 11:41:51 -0400, "Elwood Blues"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Nothing wrong with Mongoose if you are just a casual rider and don't care to
    >fit in with the bicyclist cliq scene. If you buy one from a dept store,
    >check it carefully when you get it home and adjust the seat and bars for
    >your liking and make sure the gears/brakes are operating property. Walmart
    >has a good return policy if you buy one you don't like or is poorly adjusted
    >including giving your money totally back (try that with a 1,000 Trek from a
    >bike store 14 days after you buy it). The Walmart where I live at has a
    >dedicated bicycle technician who they pay $9 an hour. Dick's Sporting Goods
    >also usually has a dedicated bicycle technican who can do repairs and adjust
    >the bike for you on the spot. If you know what you are doing a little bit, a
    >department store bicycle will give you very bit of the exercise and fun of a
    >ovepriced $1,000 Trek.
    >
    >I just rode a department store Mongoose hybrid from Columbia SC to Gaffney,
    >SC and return with 214 miles ridden including a 90 day ride just this week
    >over 3 days averaging 14mph carrying a 40 pound load on a rear steel rack.

    Yeah, but see my thread last month or so on the special mid bike hinge.
    (it's a feature!).

    If you did a 90 day ride in a week, then dude, you've got some 'magic'
    goin' for ya that we mortals can't tap into.

    My recommendation - don't go there. Spend 300 bucks and get a hardtail, no
    suspension frame at a LBS.

    To the OP, report back in 6 months and let us know how it's going. In a 8
    months to a year (and right around 1000 miles) of moderate to hard riding
    you'll have a broken bike you can't repair. A LBS hardtail no-susp. bike
    will still be going strong in 10 years, and will still be upgradeable.

    -Badger

  6. On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 12:42:06 -0400, Badger_South <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >If you did a 90 day ride in a week, then dude, you've got some 'magic'
    >goin' for ya that we mortals can't tap into.

    Three letters my friend: E.P.O.

    -Luigi

  7. Kaputnik

    Kaputnik Guest

    "Elwood Blues" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Nothing wrong with Mongoose if you are just a casual rider and don't care to
    > fit in with the bicyclist cliq scene. If you buy one from a dept store,
    > check it carefully when you get it home and adjust the seat and bars for
    > your liking and make sure the gears/brakes are operating property.

    Aren't the Mongeese that you find in department stores a different
    line from the ones that you can still find in bike shops? Same
    manufacturer, yes, but different bikes.

    I've seen a couple of local bike shops with Mongoose bikes, and they
    seem a cut above the one or two I've seen at WalMart. Not just better
    assembly, but better components.

  8. S o r n i

    S o r n i Guest

    Kaputnik wrote:
    > "Elwood Blues" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    >> Nothing wrong with Mongoose if you are just a casual rider and don't
    >> care to fit in with the bicyclist cliq scene. If you buy one from a
    >> dept store, check it carefully when you get it home and adjust the
    >> seat and bars for your liking and make sure the gears/brakes are
    >> operating property.

    > Aren't the Mongeese that you find in department stores a different
    > line from the ones that you can still find in bike shops? Same
    > manufacturer, yes, but different bikes.

    My understanding was that there's "Mongoose" (heavy dept. store death traps)
    and "Mongoose Pro" (LBS-quality bikes with decent components).

    Bill "wouldn't swear to it, however" S.

  9. gooserider

    gooserider Guest

    "Luigi de Guzman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 10:38:37 -0400, "rick" <rick @ nowhere.com> wrote:
    >
    > >whats wrong with the Mongoose brand, I have notice lots of sarcasm

    here...

    > Back in the day--'80s?--Mongoose was a well-regarded bike
    > manufacturer. I remember their BMX stuff when I was a kid.
    >
    > But, as with many manufacturers, they fell on hard times and went
    > bankrupt and were bought out by Pacific Cycle, which is a "department
    > store" bicycle manufacturing conglomerate.
    >
    > These days, "Mongoose" bicycles sold under that name in places like
    > Wal*Mart have NOTHING to do with the well-regarded quality cycles of
    > the past; they are cheaply made, cheaply assembled, poorly-adjusted,
    > and generally a bad buy for the cycling dollar.

    I owned a 1994 Mongoose Rockadile until a couple of months ago. It was
    beautiful, with a polished aluminum frame. I was sloppy on my maintenance,
    and the headset got loose. The head tube cracked. My fault. Anyway, it
    seemed that no sooner did I buy my 'goose then WalGeese appeared. Used to
    tick me off when people asked if I got it at WalMart. Now I own a Schwinn
    Peloton, and Schwinns are at WalMart. Nobody's asked me if I bought my road
    bike at Walmart, though. LOL

  10. Neil Cherry

    Neil Cherry Guest

    On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 23:56:37 GMT, S o r n i wrote:
    > Kaputnik wrote:
    >> "Elwood Blues" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:<[email protected]>...
    >>> Nothing wrong with Mongoose if you are just a casual rider and don't
    >>> care to fit in with the bicyclist cliq scene. If you buy one from a
    >>> dept store, check it carefully when you get it home and adjust the
    >>> seat and bars for your liking and make sure the gears/brakes are
    >>> operating property.

    >> Aren't the Mongeese that you find in department stores a different
    >> line from the ones that you can still find in bike shops? Same
    >> manufacturer, yes, but different bikes.

    > My understanding was that there's "Mongoose" (heavy dept. store death traps)
    > and "Mongoose Pro" (LBS-quality bikes with decent components).

    I have a Mongoose RX100 Ti bike it was built with Ultegra 8 spd
    components. I've just upgraded it to Ultegra 9spd. It's not a
    dept. store lead sled. But it's also not a Mongoose it's a Sven(?)
    frame.

    --
    Linux Home Automation Neil Cherry [email protected]
    http://home.comcast.net/~ncherry/ (Text only)

  11. In article <%[email protected]>, [email protected]
    says...

    >whats wrong with the Mongoose brand, I have notice lots of sarcasm here...

    Currently they are a dept store brand.
    Alex