excuse my ignorance but...Mongoose

rick

Guest
whats wrong with the Mongoose brand, I have notice lots of sarcasm here...

On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 10:38:37 -0400, "rick" <rick @ nowhere.com> wrote:

>whats wrong with the Mongoose brand, I have notice lots of sarcasm here...

Back in the day--'80s?--Mongoose was a well-regarded bike
manufacturer. I remember their BMX stuff when I was a kid.

But, as with many manufacturers, they fell on hard times and went
bankrupt and were bought out by Pacific Cycle, which is a "department
store" bicycle manufacturing conglomerate.

These days, "Mongoose" bicycles sold under that name in places like
Wal*Mart have NOTHING to do with the well-regarded quality cycles of
the past; they are cheaply made, cheaply assembled, poorly-adjusted,
and generally a bad buy for the cycling dollar.

-Luigi

Nothing wrong with Mongoose if you are just a casual rider and don't care to
fit in with the bicyclist cliq scene. If you buy one from a dept store,
check it carefully when you get it home and adjust the seat and bars for
your liking and make sure the gears/brakes are operating property. Walmart
has a good return policy if you buy one you don't like or is poorly adjusted
including giving your money totally back (try that with a 1,000 Trek from a
bike store 14 days after you buy it). The Walmart where I live at has a
dedicated bicycle technician who they pay $9 an hour. ****'s Sporting Goods
also usually has a dedicated bicycle technican who can do repairs and adjust
the bike for you on the spot. If you know what you are doing a little bit, a
department store bicycle will give you very bit of the exercise and fun of a
ovepriced $1,000 Trek.

I just rode a department store Mongoose hybrid from Columbia SC to Gaffney,
SC and return with 214 miles ridden including a 90 day ride just this week
over 3 days averaging 14mph carrying a 40 pound load on a rear steel rack.

--
Elwood Blues

Luigi de Guzman wrote:
> On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 10:38:37 -0400, "rick" <rick @ nowhere.com> wrote:
>

>>whats wrong with the Mongoose brand, I have notice lots of sarcasm here...

> Back in the day--'80s?--Mongoose was a well-regarded bike
> manufacturer. I remember their BMX stuff when I was a kid.
>
> But, as with many manufacturers, they fell on hard times and went
> bankrupt and were bought out by Pacific Cycle, which is a "department
> store" bicycle manufacturing conglomerate.
>
> These days, "Mongoose" bicycles sold under that name in places like
> Wal*Mart have NOTHING to do with the well-regarded quality cycles of
> the past; they are cheaply made, cheaply assembled, poorly-adjusted,
> and generally a bad buy for the cycling dollar.
>
> -Luigi

BUT, mongoose does make decent bikes too, so to joe blow consumer it
can be confusing.

On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 11:41:51 -0400, "Elwood Blues"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Nothing wrong with Mongoose if you are just a casual rider and don't care to
>fit in with the bicyclist cliq scene. If you buy one from a dept store,
>check it carefully when you get it home and adjust the seat and bars for
>your liking and make sure the gears/brakes are operating property. Walmart
>has a good return policy if you buy one you don't like or is poorly adjusted
>including giving your money totally back (try that with a 1,000 Trek from a
>bike store 14 days after you buy it). The Walmart where I live at has a
>dedicated bicycle technician who they pay $9 an hour. ****'s Sporting Goods
>also usually has a dedicated bicycle technican who can do repairs and adjust
>the bike for you on the spot. If you know what you are doing a little bit, a
>department store bicycle will give you very bit of the exercise and fun of a
>ovepriced $1,000 Trek.
>
>I just rode a department store Mongoose hybrid from Columbia SC to Gaffney,
>SC and return with 214 miles ridden including a 90 day ride just this week
>over 3 days averaging 14mph carrying a 40 pound load on a rear steel rack.

Yeah, but see my thread last month or so on the special mid bike hinge.
(it's a feature!).

If you did a 90 day ride in a week, then dude, you've got some 'magic'
goin' for ya that we mortals can't tap into.

My recommendation - don't go there. Spend 300 bucks and get a hardtail, no
suspension frame at a LBS.

To the OP, report back in 6 months and let us know how it's going. In a 8
months to a year (and right around 1000 miles) of moderate to hard riding
you'll have a broken bike you can't repair. A LBS hardtail no-susp. bike
will still be going strong in 10 years, and will still be upgradeable.

-Badger

On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 12:42:06 -0400, Badger_South <[email protected]>
wrote:

>If you did a 90 day ride in a week, then dude, you've got some 'magic'
>goin' for ya that we mortals can't tap into.

Three letters my friend: E.P.O.

-Luigi

"Elwood Blues" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Nothing wrong with Mongoose if you are just a casual rider and don't care to
> fit in with the bicyclist cliq scene. If you buy one from a dept store,
> check it carefully when you get it home and adjust the seat and bars for
> your liking and make sure the gears/brakes are operating property.

Aren't the Mongeese that you find in department stores a different
line from the ones that you can still find in bike shops? Same
manufacturer, yes, but different bikes.

I've seen a couple of local bike shops with Mongoose bikes, and they
seem a cut above the one or two I've seen at WalMart. Not just better
assembly, but better components.

Kaputnik wrote:
> "Elwood Blues" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
>> Nothing wrong with Mongoose if you are just a casual rider and don't
>> care to fit in with the bicyclist cliq scene. If you buy one from a
>> dept store, check it carefully when you get it home and adjust the
>> seat and bars for your liking and make sure the gears/brakes are
>> operating property.

> Aren't the Mongeese that you find in department stores a different
> line from the ones that you can still find in bike shops? Same
> manufacturer, yes, but different bikes.

My understanding was that there's "Mongoose" (heavy dept. store death traps)
and "Mongoose Pro" (LBS-quality bikes with decent components).

Bill "wouldn't swear to it, however" S.

"Luigi de Guzman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 10:38:37 -0400, "rick" <rick @ nowhere.com> wrote:
>
> >whats wrong with the Mongoose brand, I have notice lots of sarcasm

here...

> Back in the day--'80s?--Mongoose was a well-regarded bike
> manufacturer. I remember their BMX stuff when I was a kid.
>
> But, as with many manufacturers, they fell on hard times and went
> bankrupt and were bought out by Pacific Cycle, which is a "department
> store" bicycle manufacturing conglomerate.
>
> These days, "Mongoose" bicycles sold under that name in places like
> Wal*Mart have NOTHING to do with the well-regarded quality cycles of
> the past; they are cheaply made, cheaply assembled, poorly-adjusted,
> and generally a bad buy for the cycling dollar.

I owned a 1994 Mongoose Rockadile until a couple of months ago. It was
beautiful, with a polished aluminum frame. I was sloppy on my maintenance,
and the headset got loose. The head tube cracked. My fault. Anyway, it
seemed that no sooner did I buy my 'goose then WalGeese appeared. Used to
tick me off when people asked if I got it at WalMart. Now I own a Schwinn
Peloton, and Schwinns are at WalMart. Nobody's asked me if I bought my road
bike at Walmart, though. LOL

On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 23:56:37 GMT, S o r n i wrote:
> Kaputnik wrote:
>> "Elwood Blues" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:<[email protected]>...
>>> Nothing wrong with Mongoose if you are just a casual rider and don't
>>> care to fit in with the bicyclist cliq scene. If you buy one from a
>>> dept store, check it carefully when you get it home and adjust the
>>> seat and bars for your liking and make sure the gears/brakes are
>>> operating property.

>> Aren't the Mongeese that you find in department stores a different
>> line from the ones that you can still find in bike shops? Same
>> manufacturer, yes, but different bikes.

> My understanding was that there's "Mongoose" (heavy dept. store death traps)
> and "Mongoose Pro" (LBS-quality bikes with decent components).

I have a Mongoose RX100 Ti bike it was built with Ultegra 8 spd
components. I've just upgraded it to Ultegra 9spd. It's not a
dept. store lead sled. But it's also not a Mongoose it's a Sven(?)
frame.

--
Linux Home Automation Neil Cherry [email protected]
http://home.comcast.net/~ncherry/ (Text only)