Exellent Service

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Gadget, May 30, 2003.

  1. Gadget

    Gadget Guest

    Today I took my bike to Halfords for it's final service before it heads of to Italy. (For those that
    don't know I'm doing Rome to the dome sponsored cycle ride.) There is a guy there that goes by the
    name of Dave and he did a full service on my bike. When I took the bike to him I learned it was his
    birthday yesterday. So being in the cake trade I said I would bring him some cream cakes when I
    picked the bike up. At 4pm I delivered my cream cakes. The bike was ready and when I enquired about
    the cost of a full service, he simply said it's my contribution to the charity. So for the price of
    a few cream cakes I got an excellent service done on my bike. Dave is a great bloke and certainly
    knows what he's talking about. Highly recommended.

    Gadget

    P.S That's Halfords at Enfield, along the Great Cambridge Road (A10).

    Tags:

  2. Gadget

    Gadget Guest

    The bike was ready and when I enquired about the cost of a full service, he
    > simply said "it's my contribution to the charity." So for the price of a
    few

    I apologise for bad grammer

    Gadget

  3. >I apologise for bad grammer

    Kelsey has been bad???

    Cheers, helen s ;-)

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    ~~~~~~~~~~

  4. Msa

    Msa Guest

    Gadget <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > The bike was ready and when I enquired about the cost of a full service,
    he
    > > simply said "it's my contribution to the charity." So for the price of a
    > few
    >

    > Gadget

    How cool is that! Well done you. It pays to play the nice guy.

    --
    Mark

  5. Neil

    Neil Guest

    As someone whose sons worked in retail for a while ... please call / write to the manager or area
    office and sing this guy's praises. It impresses the bosses no end, and they very rarely get praise
    - it often counts in their pay packet (Toy'R'Us will give £30 [6 hours pay] to an assistant if the
    manager gets a call to say they were wonderful!!) Neil

    "Gadget" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Today I took my bike to Halfords for it's final service before it heads of to Italy. (For those
    > that don't know I'm doing Rome to the dome sponsored cycle ride.) There is a guy there that goes
    > by the name of Dave and he did
    > full service on my bike. When I took the bike to him I learned it was his birthday yesterday. So
    > being in the cake trade I said I would bring him
    some
    > cream cakes when I picked the bike up. At 4pm I delivered my cream cakes. The bike was ready and
    > when I enquired about the cost of a full service,
    he
    > simply said it's my contribution to the charity. So for the price of a few cream cakes I got an
    > excellent service done on my bike. Dave is a great bloke and certainly knows what he's talking
    > about. Highly recommended.
    >
    > Gadget
    >
    > P.S That's Halfords at Enfield, along the Great Cambridge Road (A10).

  6. Nick Kew

    Nick Kew Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, one of infinite monkeys at the
    keyboard of "Gadget" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Today I took my bike to Halfords [chop] I got an excellent service done on my bike.

    I knew someone who worked in Halfords to support himself through his PhD. Would it be a fair guess
    that this Dave might be a student and cyclist, as opposed to a career shop assistant?

    --
    Axis of Evil: Whose economy needs ever more wars? Arms Exports $bn: USA 14.2, UK 5.1, vs France 1.5,
    Germany 0.8 (The Economist, July 2002)

  7. >As someone whose sons worked in retail for a while ... please call / write to the manager or
    >area office and sing this guy's praises. It impresses the bosses no end, and they very rarely
    >get praise -

    Speaking of which, there is a local haulage firm in my neck of the woods and the drivers are
    exceptionally courteous to me when I'm in cycling mode. It's noticeable how they do drive carefully.
    Some time ago, I wrote a letter to the firm, thanking the drivers for their courtesy. Heard nothing.
    Anyhow - cycling into town today was a pain. within a few hundred yards of home came the first of
    three near sideswipes by white van man and silver people carrier man. It was awful. Then as I got
    closer into town, one of the HGVs belonging to this firm went by - usual wide berth as he went by
    and well clear of me before he pulled in again. Later in town, I spotted one of the drivers of this
    firm, so I accosted him in the street;-) I told him that I really appreciated the courtesy shown to
    me by the firm's drivers. His face lit up and he said, "Did you write a letter some time ago?" "Err,
    err, yes ..." I said. "Well thank you!" he said. "We've got it in pride of place on our noticeboard
    and we really appreciated that. Most people only bother to contact the boss if they want to complain
    so it was really nice to see your letter."

    A sort of mutual appreciation fest between cyclist & HGV driver ;-)

    Mind you - does show that positive feedback can be appreciated.

    Cheers, helen s

  8. Daniel Auger

    Daniel Auger Guest

    On Fri, 30 May 2003, Gadget wrote:

    > I apologise for bad grammer

    That's quite OK. Your ancestors' actions are not your fault. ;-)

    --
    Daniel Auger - [email protected] (Please remove Granta to get a valid address.)