Exercise Bike

Sarah79

Aug 31, 2009
Okay, okay, I can hear the boos from here, but I work long hours, have a 90 mile daily commute and now the nights are drawing in, I feel it's only prudent that I get myself an exercise bike for those evenings where I come home too bushed to whack the lights on the bike and go out. They do exist, trust me. Would I get a comparable benefit to 'proper' cycling if I substituted the odd session with a bike? It may be a dumb question but it just feels like cheating, somehow. I'm in the UK - anyone here got an exercise bike and if so, what have you got? And anyone from anywhere else, please comment freely. Am interested in your experience/opinions

Cheers

Sarah79 said:
Okay, okay, I can hear the boos from here, but I work long hours, have a 90 mile daily commute and now the nights are drawing in, I feel it's only prudent that I get myself an exercise bike for those evenings where I come home too bushed to whack the lights on the bike and go out. They do exist, trust me. Would I get a comparable benefit to 'proper' cycling if I substituted the odd session with a bike? It may be a dumb question but it just feels like cheating, somehow. I'm in the UK - anyone here got an exercise bike and if so, what have you got? And anyone from anywhere else, please comment freely. Am interested in your experience/opinions

Cheers

You won't hear any boo's from me, we could have snow on the ground in 6 weeks or so, and then it will be it'll be at least 5 months before I ride a bike outside again. So, I'm interested in hearing the replies on this topic too.

You can buy trainers that you use your bike with, like magnetic, fluid, or roller type trainers, and they vary quite a bit in cost.

We have had a Travel Trac Magforce+ for several years. My wife's bike is on it constantly, that's the only way she rides anymore.

Since I'm lazy and it takes a few minutes to take her bike off, then put one of my bikes on, then put her's back on, get everything hooked up and adjusted, blah, blah, blah.... I never use it. Plus, it is really boring to ride for any length of time.

I bought one of those OrbiTrek machines (as seen on TV :eek: ) about 5 years ago, and it is still my favorite for home use. You can work both your arms and your legs, or just your legs by themselves.

They only cost about $300 and they take up less space than a bicycle on a trainer.

I don't think an OrbiTrek is going to specifically improve your bicycling skills, but I do think they are a good cheap way to get a good aerobic workout, and build endurance, when you can't take your bike outside for a ride.

There have been quite a few threads on this topic, but hopefully some of the other folks will comment on what they use for an indoor exercise bike, or a substitute.

No boos here either; trainers are great in the winter months. You can get a real workout quicker than outside on the road because the load is constant; no coasting, slowing for turns or traffic, etc. When I lived in the midwest, kept the bike on a trainer most of the winter, taking it off only on for sunny-day rides.

Without the airflow you get naturally on the road, overheating can be a problem. An unheated garage is a good place to use the trainer. If you're in a heated room, it really helps to have a big fan to keep you cool. At the end of a long workday, it's great to come home and get in a workout without having to take the effort to put on cold weather gear and ride in the dark.

I 2nd that, no boo's. I still try to go out on every nice day that comes (and they are numbered), but I'm already starting to do some short rides at my local gym at night. Did you think about a trainer? Because that's my 2nd choice so far.

-Greg

Sorry Paramount and Dhk, didn't read your replies quick enough :) I agree, but I still haven't tried out one of those yet myself.