Exercise Induced Asthma (Olympic approval?)

shming123

May 1, 2004
I am a Cat.2 rider/racer and obviously train and race a lot. Does anyone what asthma meds/inhalers are not illegal to use in racing? So far, I have just used the Maxair inhaler (a bronchodilator), which works excellent for me, but I feel it starting to stop working after about 3hrs. I have also used the Serevent Diskus, which works great, but not quite as good as the Maxair, but it makes my eyelid twitch like every couple minutes, all day, everyday and is rather annoying, and it also makes me more likely to cramp. Any help? Thanks.

shming123 said:
I am a Cat.2 rider/racer and obviously train and race a lot. Does anyone what asthma meds/inhalers are not illegal to use in racing? So far, I have just used the Maxair inhaler (a bronchodilator), which works excellent for me, but I feel it starting to stop working after about 3hrs. I have also used the Serevent Diskus, which works great, but not quite as good as the Maxair, but it makes my eyelid twitch like every couple minutes, all day, everyday and is rather annoying, and it also makes me more likely to cramp. Any help? Thanks.
you'll need to contact USA Cycling and ask them. Asthma meds have different names and different ingredients in different parts of the world.

ric

ric_stern/RST said:
you'll need to contact USA Cycling and ask them. Asthma meds have different names and different ingredients in different parts of the world.

ric

I'll check that out. Thanks.

shming123 said:
If you can get approval you might want to see about adding an inhaled steroid to your treatment regimen, such as Advair.

Are there any pros or cat 1's that use inhalers? Anyone tried Foradil? I just got that today and am going to see how it works.

shming123 said:
Are there any pros or cat 1's that use inhalers?

is that a joke? :confused:

Anyone tried Foradil? I just got that today and am going to see how it works.

I've not heard of this, but as i previously mentioned different drugs have different names in different locations. There are only a few beta2 agonists that are allowed in competition and out of competition and these are listed on the UCI website. Again, you should also check with USA Cycling who will be able to inform you.

Ric

ric_stern/RST said:
is that a joke? :confused:

I've not heard of this, but as i previously mentioned different drugs have different names in different locations. There are only a few beta2 agonists that are allowed in competition and out of competition and these are listed on the UCI website. Again, you should also check with USA Cycling who will be able to inform you.

Ric

No joke. why? I was just wondering if there are any pros/cat 1's that are reading this that use this... obviously, there are many racers who use inhalers.

Its Formoterol Fumarate Inhalation powder...I guess its the most chosen inhaler in Europe. Its legal according to the usantidoping.org I don't know if this is the same as USA Cycling?

shming123 said:
No joke. why? I was just wondering if there are any pros/cat 1's that are reading this that use this... obviously, there are many racers who use inhalers.

Its Formoterol Fumarate Inhalation powder...I guess its the most chosen inhaler in Europe. Its legal according to the usantidoping.org I don't know if this is the same as USA Cycling?

check page 3 here http://www.uci.ch/imgArchive/Road/Health/Prohibited list 2005.pdf

and you need a theraputic use exemption certificate, assuming you do races under UCI regulations

ric

shming123 said:
No joke. why? I was just wondering if there are any pros/cat 1's that are reading this that use this...
Not a pro/cat 1 but have read that well over 50% of the pro peloton have Therapeutic Use Exemption for asthma drugs... However - cannot confirm this, just read it here somewhere.

All I gotta say is I had asthma also, not major but after riding, I would just cough and cough and cough, never able to take a deep breath without coughing. So the doc gave me pulmicort, I don't like taking meds so I used it about 2 days and just put up with the cough, but then through work, I was turned on to the kobuchi mushroom tea! I swear it took away my asthma, the kind I had. So PM me if you want to know more.

man thats sick, im happy racing without any non-prescription drugs.
i'd say it would be true though...

patch70 said:
Not a pro/cat 1 but have read that well over 50% of the pro peloton have Therapeutic Use Exemption for asthma drugs... However - cannot confirm this, just read it here somewhere.

jjiam25 said:
All I gotta say is I had asthma also, not major but after riding, I would just cough and cough and cough, never able to take a deep breath without coughing. So the doc gave me pulmicort, I don't like taking meds so I used it about 2 days and just put up with the cough, but then through work, I was turned on to the kobuchi mushroom tea! I swear it took away my asthma, the kind I had. So PM me if you want to know more.
interesting.. what about a pain in your chest when taking a deep breath (not necessarily post exercise or anything) you think thats EIA too?:confused:

simonbroekhuize said:
interesting.. what about a pain in your chest when taking a deep breath (not necessarily post exercise or anything) you think thats EIA too?:confused:

Yes, that is part of EIA.. and I hate that, either when I'm riding or after when you take a deep breath and it hurts and also makes you want to cough.