Exercise induced headache question

Bob in CT

Guest
I've never had exercise-induced headaches, until I started commuting home
from work. I'm on a very busy road with no shoulder within a minute or
so. I then have to navigate a left-hand turn onto a much less busy road,
that's a hill. I think the ride is around 2 miles, maybe, to the left
turn/hill. It's around 17-18 miles one way to home, and last year, it was
taking me 1 hour, 40 minutes (lots of hills and I need to drop some
pounds) to get home.

I think the problem is that I go from zero to being completely aerobically
limited within a few minutes. Then, the route home has a ton of hills
initially, then it's downhill, then another ton of hills to my house.
(Going from home to work, it takes me 20 minutes less time!) So, I don't
think I recuperate for over half the ride. The first 30 minutes or so,
I'm completely in the red in terms of heart rate. I literally cannot go
faster, and I'm doing this without a warmup.

The only solution I can determine is to perform some type of warmup, prior
to getting onto the busy road. Unfortunately, there's only one way into
and out of my complex -- I must get on that busy road and make a left
(with no turn lane).

Anyone else dealt with such conditions and have any advice?

--
Bob in CT

Bob in CT wrote:
> I've never had exercise-induced headaches, until I started commuting
> home from work. I'm on a very busy road with no shoulder within a
> minute or so. I then have to navigate a left-hand turn onto a much less
> busy road, that's a hill. I think the ride is around 2 miles, maybe, to
> the left turn/hill. It's around 17-18 miles one way to home, and last
> year, it was taking me 1 hour, 40 minutes (lots of hills and I need to
> drop some pounds) to get home.
>
> I think the problem is that I go from zero to being completely
> aerobically limited within a few minutes. Then, the route home has a
> ton of hills initially, then it's downhill, then another ton of hills to
> my house. (Going from home to work, it takes me 20 minutes less time!)
> So, I don't think I recuperate for over half the ride. The first 30
> minutes or so, I'm completely in the red in terms of heart rate. I
> literally cannot go faster, and I'm doing this without a warmup.
>
> The only solution I can determine is to perform some type of warmup,
> prior to getting onto the busy road. Unfortunately, there's only one
> way into and out of my complex -- I must get on that busy road and make
> a left (with no turn lane).
>
> Anyone else dealt with such conditions and have any advice?
>
> --Bob in CT

I know that you're on a busy road, but could you slow down a bit? If
the cause is over-exertion, that might be the solution.

Another possibility (it happens to me on occasion): low blood sugar.
Before you head home, have you had a recent meal? A 17 mile ride with
lots of hills is non-trivial. You need to ensure that your engine has
fuel.

Jeff

"fred" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Bob in CT wrote:
>> I've never had exercise-induced headaches, until I started commuting home
>> from work. I'm on a very busy road with no shoulder within a minute or
>> so. I then have to navigate a left-hand turn onto a much less busy road,
>> that's a hill. I think the ride is around 2 miles, maybe, to the left
>> turn/hill. It's around 17-18 miles one way to home, and last year, it
>> was taking me 1 hour, 40 minutes (lots of hills and I need to drop some
>> pounds) to get home.
>>
>> I think the problem is that I go from zero to being completely
>> aerobically limited within a few minutes. Then, the route home has a ton
>> of hills initially, then it's downhill, then another ton of hills to my
>> house. (Going from home to work, it takes me 20 minutes less time!) So,
>> I don't think I recuperate for over half the ride. The first 30 minutes
>> or so, I'm completely in the red in terms of heart rate. I literally
>> cannot go faster, and I'm doing this without a warmup.
>>
>> The only solution I can determine is to perform some type of warmup,
>> prior to getting onto the busy road. Unfortunately, there's only one way
>> into and out of my complex -- I must get on that busy road and make a
>> left (with no turn lane).
>>
>> Anyone else dealt with such conditions and have any advice?
>>
>> --Bob in CT

> I know that you're on a busy road, but could you slow down a bit? If the
> cause is over-exertion, that might be the solution.
>
> Another possibility (it happens to me on occasion): low blood sugar.
> Before you head home, have you had a recent meal? A 17 mile ride with
> lots of hills is non-trivial. You need to ensure that your engine has
> fuel.
>
> Jeff

I can second that and add enough water to keep bodily function.

fred wrote:
:: Bob in CT wrote:
::: I've never had exercise-induced headaches, until I started commuting
::: home from work. I'm on a very busy road with no shoulder within a
::: minute or so. I then have to navigate a left-hand turn onto a much
::: less busy road, that's a hill. I think the ride is around 2 miles,
::: maybe, to the left turn/hill. It's around 17-18 miles one way to
::: home, and last year, it was taking me 1 hour, 40 minutes (lots of
::: hills and I need to drop some pounds) to get home.
:::
[...]
::
:: I know that you're on a busy road, but could you slow down a bit? If
:: the cause is over-exertion, that might be the solution.
::
:: Another possibility (it happens to me on occasion): low blood sugar.
:: Before you head home, have you had a recent meal? A 17 mile ride
:: with lots of hills is non-trivial. You need to ensure that your
:: engine has fuel.
::
:: Jeff

Jeff is correct, Bob. This could be a situation where a "carb up" would
help. Of course, I'm sure you've thought of that already. :)

On Mar 11, 5:22 pm, "Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote:
> fred wrote:
>
> :: Bob in CT wrote:
> ::: I've never had exercise-induced headaches, until I started commuting
> ::: home from work. I'm on a very busy road with no shoulder within a
> ::: minute or so. I then have to navigate a left-hand turn onto a much
> ::: less busy road, that's a hill. I think the ride is around 2 miles,
> ::: maybe, to the left turn/hill. It's around 17-18 miles one way to
> ::: home, and last year, it was taking me 1 hour, 40 minutes (lots of
> ::: hills and I need to drop some pounds) to get home.
> :::
> ::: I think the problem is that I go from zero to being completely
> ::: aerobically limited within a few minutes. Then, the route home has
> ::: a ton of hills initially, then it's downhill, then another ton of
> ::: hills to my house. (Going from home to work, it takes me 20
> ::: minutes less time!) So, I don't think I recuperate for over half
> ::: the ride. The first 30 minutes or so, I'm completely in the red in
> ::: terms of heart rate. I literally cannot go faster, and I'm doing
> ::: this without a warmup.
> :::
> ::: The only solution I can determine is to perform some type of warmup,
> ::: prior to getting onto the busy road. Unfortunately, there's only
> ::: one way into and out of my complex -- I must get on that busy road
> ::: and make a left (with no turn lane).
> :::
> ::: Anyone else dealt with such conditions and have any advice?
> :::
> ::: --Bob in CT
> ::
> :: I know that you're on a busy road, but could you slow down a bit? If
> :: the cause is over-exertion, that might be the solution.
> ::
> :: Another possibility (it happens to me on occasion): low blood sugar.
> :: Before you head home, have you had a recent meal? A 17 mile ride
> :: with lots of hills is non-trivial. You need to ensure that your
> :: engine has fuel.
> ::
> :: Jeff
>
> Jeff is correct, Bob. This could be a situation where a "carb up" would
> help. Of course, I'm sure you've thought of that already. :)

Water might also be a problem. I've developed headaches when I've
neglected to keep hydrated when exercising.

Bob in CT wrote:
> I've never had exercise-induced headaches, until I started commuting
> home from work. I'm on a very busy road with no shoulder within a
> minute or so. I then have to navigate a left-hand turn onto a much less
> busy road, that's a hill. I think the ride is around 2 miles, maybe, to
> the left turn/hill. It's around 17-18 miles one way to home, and last
> year, it was taking me 1 hour, 40 minutes (lots of hills and I need to
> drop some pounds) to get home.
>
> I think the problem is that I go from zero to being completely
> aerobically limited within a few minutes. Then, the route home has a
> ton of hills initially, then it's downhill, then another ton of hills to
> my house. (Going from home to work, it takes me 20 minutes less time!)
> So, I don't think I recuperate for over half the ride. The first 30
> minutes or so, I'm completely in the red in terms of heart rate. I
> literally cannot go faster, and I'm doing this without a warmup.
>
> The only solution I can determine is to perform some type of warmup,
> prior to getting onto the busy road. Unfortunately, there's only one
> way into and out of my complex -- I must get on that busy road and make
> a left (with no turn lane).
>
> Anyone else dealt with such conditions and have any advice?
>
> --Bob in CT

I used to get headaches when Time Trialing and Hard Training, general
riding was fine and with no real concern. Went to see a chiropractor in
the end who cured it in 3 or 4 visits over 2 weeks. Seemed that I had a
build up of stiffness in the neck that was causing the headaches. Maybe
a little extreme, but for me it did the trick.

Bob in CT wrote:
> I've never had exercise-induced headaches, until I started commuting
> home from work. I'm on a very busy road with no shoulder within a
> minute or so. I then have to navigate a left-hand turn onto a much less
> busy road, that's a hill. I think the ride is around 2 miles, maybe, to
> the left turn/hill. It's around 17-18 miles one way to home, and last
> year, it was taking me 1 hour, 40 minutes (lots of hills and I need to
> drop some pounds) to get home.
>
> I think the problem is that I go from zero to being completely
> aerobically limited within a few minutes. Then, the route home has a
> ton of hills initially, then it's downhill, then another ton of hills to
> my house. (Going from home to work, it takes me 20 minutes less time!)
> So, I don't think I recuperate for over half the ride. The first 30
> minutes or so, I'm completely in the red in terms of heart rate. I
> literally cannot go faster, and I'm doing this without a warmup.
>
> The only solution I can determine is to perform some type of warmup,
> prior to getting onto the busy road. Unfortunately, there's only one
> way into and out of my complex -- I must get on that busy road and make
> a left (with no turn lane).

This may seem foolish, but can you turn the wrong way coming out of
work, go down the road half a mile, and do a U-turn? That might give
you time to warm up, and see if that is sufficient to solve your problem.

Pat

On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 18:22:06 -0400, Roger Zoul <[email protected]>
wrote:

> fred wrote:
> :: Bob in CT wrote:
> ::: I've never had exercise-induced headaches, until I started commuting
> ::: home from work. I'm on a very busy road with no shoulder within a
> ::: minute or so. I then have to navigate a left-hand turn onto a much
> ::: less busy road, that's a hill. I think the ride is around 2 miles,
> ::: maybe, to the left turn/hill. It's around 17-18 miles one way to
> ::: home, and last year, it was taking me 1 hour, 40 minutes (lots of
> ::: hills and I need to drop some pounds) to get home.
> :::
> ::: I think the problem is that I go from zero to being completely
> ::: aerobically limited within a few minutes. Then, the route home has
> ::: a ton of hills initially, then it's downhill, then another ton of
> ::: hills to my house. (Going from home to work, it takes me 20
> ::: minutes less time!) So, I don't think I recuperate for over half
> ::: the ride. The first 30 minutes or so, I'm completely in the red in
> ::: terms of heart rate. I literally cannot go faster, and I'm doing
> ::: this without a warmup.
> :::
> ::: The only solution I can determine is to perform some type of warmup,
> ::: prior to getting onto the busy road. Unfortunately, there's only
> ::: one way into and out of my complex -- I must get on that busy road
> ::: and make a left (with no turn lane).
> :::
> ::: Anyone else dealt with such conditions and have any advice?
> :::
> ::: --Bob in CT
> ::
> :: I know that you're on a busy road, but could you slow down a bit? If
> :: the cause is over-exertion, that might be the solution.
> ::
> :: Another possibility (it happens to me on occasion): low blood sugar.
> :: Before you head home, have you had a recent meal? A 17 mile ride
> :: with lots of hills is non-trivial. You need to ensure that your
> :: engine has fuel.
> ::
> :: Jeff
>
> Jeff is correct, Bob. This could be a situation where a "carb up" would
> help. Of course, I'm sure you've thought of that already. :)

Hmmm...well, I can't remember if I used any type of carb up. I don't
think I did. This is a good point. I do believe that I drank water
before hand (and would take a camelback with me), but I don't think I hit
the road with any carbs in me, other than what I might've had at lunch.
I'll give this a try, as I hope to be able to start commuting again next
week.

--
Bob in CT

On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 16:37:48 -0400, fred <[email protected]> wrote:

> Bob in CT wrote:
>> I've never had exercise-induced headaches, until I started commuting
>> home from work. I'm on a very busy road with no shoulder within a
>> minute or so. I then have to navigate a left-hand turn onto a much
>> less busy road, that's a hill. I think the ride is around 2 miles,
>> maybe, to the left turn/hill. It's around 17-18 miles one way to home,
>> and last year, it was taking me 1 hour, 40 minutes (lots of hills and I
>> need to drop some pounds) to get home.
>> I think the problem is that I go from zero to being completely
>> aerobically limited within a few minutes. Then, the route home has a
>> ton of hills initially, then it's downhill, then another ton of hills
>> to my house. (Going from home to work, it takes me 20 minutes less
>> time!) So, I don't think I recuperate for over half the ride. The
>> first 30 minutes or so, I'm completely in the red in terms of heart
>> rate. I literally cannot go faster, and I'm doing this without a
>> warmup.
>> The only solution I can determine is to perform some type of warmup,
>> prior to getting onto the busy road. Unfortunately, there's only one
>> way into and out of my complex -- I must get on that busy road and make
>> a left (with no turn lane).
>> Anyone else dealt with such conditions and have any advice?
>> --Bob in CT

> I know that you're on a busy road, but could you slow down a bit? If
> the cause is over-exertion, that might be the solution.
>
> Another possibility (it happens to me on occasion): low blood sugar.
> Before you head home, have you had a recent meal? A 17 mile ride with
> lots of hills is non-trivial. You need to ensure that your engine has
> fuel.
>
> Jeff

I can certainly try to slow down, but I'm the type that tends to speed up
to catch traffic. Maybe I'll have to work on that!

--
Bob in CT

On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 11:38:10 -0400, Pat Lamb <[email protected]>
wrote:

> Bob in CT wrote:
>> I've never had exercise-induced headaches, until I started commuting
>> home from work. I'm on a very busy road with no shoulder within a
>> minute or so. I then have to navigate a left-hand turn onto a much less
>> busy road, that's a hill. I think the ride is around 2 miles, maybe, to
>> the left turn/hill. It's around 17-18 miles one way to home, and last
>> year, it was taking me 1 hour, 40 minutes (lots of hills and I need to
>> drop some pounds) to get home.
>>
>> I think the problem is that I go from zero to being completely
>> aerobically limited within a few minutes. Then, the route home has a
>> ton of hills initially, then it's downhill, then another ton of hills to
>> my house. (Going from home to work, it takes me 20 minutes less time!)
>> So, I don't think I recuperate for over half the ride. The first 30
>> minutes or so, I'm completely in the red in terms of heart rate. I
>> literally cannot go faster, and I'm doing this without a warmup.
>>
>> The only solution I can determine is to perform some type of warmup,
>> prior to getting onto the busy road. Unfortunately, there's only one
>> way into and out of my complex -- I must get on that busy road and make
>> a left (with no turn lane).

> This may seem foolish, but can you turn the wrong way coming out of
> work, go down the road half a mile, and do a U-turn? That might give
> you time to warm up, and see if that is sufficient to solve your problem.
>
> Pat

What I can do is the following. I work on a road that parallels the
"fast" road I discussed. Now, I have to get on the fast road, as it's the
only way out. However, I could use my little "access" road to do some
warm up until I hit the fast road. The only detriment is that the access
road T-bones into another road, which then typically has a line of cars
waiting to get onto the fast road. But if I leave just a little earlier,
this might not be the case.

--
Bob in CT

On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 04:47:10 -0400, Rola <[email protected]> wrote:

> Bob in CT wrote:
>> I've never had exercise-induced headaches, until I started commuting
>> home from work. I'm on a very busy road with no shoulder within a
>> minute or so. I then have to navigate a left-hand turn onto a much
>> less busy road, that's a hill. I think the ride is around 2 miles,
>> maybe, to the left turn/hill. It's around 17-18 miles one way to home,
>> and last year, it was taking me 1 hour, 40 minutes (lots of hills and I
>> need to drop some pounds) to get home.
>> I think the problem is that I go from zero to being completely
>> aerobically limited within a few minutes. Then, the route home has a
>> ton of hills initially, then it's downhill, then another ton of hills
>> to my house. (Going from home to work, it takes me 20 minutes less
>> time!) So, I don't think I recuperate for over half the ride. The
>> first 30 minutes or so, I'm completely in the red in terms of heart
>> rate. I literally cannot go faster, and I'm doing this without a
>> warmup.
>> The only solution I can determine is to perform some type of warmup,
>> prior to getting onto the busy road. Unfortunately, there's only one
>> way into and out of my complex -- I must get on that busy road and make
>> a left (with no turn lane).
>> Anyone else dealt with such conditions and have any advice?
>> --Bob in CT

> I used to get headaches when Time Trialing and Hard Training, general
> riding was fine and with no real concern. Went to see a chiropractor in
> the end who cured it in 3 or 4 visits over 2 weeks. Seemed that I had a
> build up of stiffness in the neck that was causing the headaches. Maybe
> a little extreme, but for me it did the trick.

Good point. I'll ask my chiropractor at my next (infrequent) visit.

--
Bob in CT

::: Bob in CT wrote:
[...]

Riding fast and hard will tend to burn glucose and if you're low before you
start, you can get depleted. This can be very painful indeed.

:: --
:: Bob in CT

Bob in CT wrote:
> I've never had exercise-induced headaches, until I started commuting
> home from work. I'm on a very busy road with no shoulder within a
> minute or so. I then have to navigate a left-hand turn onto a much less
> busy road, that's a hill. I think the ride is around 2 miles, maybe, to
> the left turn/hill. It's around 17-18 miles one way to home, and last
> year, it was taking me 1 hour, 40 minutes (lots of hills and I need to
> drop some pounds) to get home.

Go get a head CT. You could be working on an emboli.

"PagCal" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:Hy%[email protected]...

> Bob in CT wrote:
>> I've never had exercise-induced headaches, until I started commuting
>> home from work. I'm on a very busy road with no shoulder within a
>> minute or so. I then have to navigate a left-hand turn onto a much less
>> busy road, that's a hill. I think the ride is around 2 miles, maybe, to
>> the left turn/hill. It's around 17-18 miles one way to home, and last
>> year, it was taking me 1 hour, 40 minutes (lots of hills and I need to
>> drop some pounds) to get home.

> Go get a head CT. You could be working on an emboli.

Electrolytes and H20