Exercise, will this work

jeremyrundle

Mar 16, 2017
OK I am 60, diabetic and over weight, I used to ride a few years back for pleasure and with my son (who has learning difficulties (you wouldn't know it) want to start again.

I want to ask the advice of people here who must know.

1. Will one of these help in as much as keeping the old muscles used to cycling in between going out.

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/turbo-trainers/trainers/bikehut-turbo-trainer

2. Can not afford a great one so as this has NO connections to phones etc, we have the ......

http://www.halfords.com/technology/...61FwkZodMVHNHPMJmVsmriUzRCddf4ax3zBoCOLvw_wcB

could it be put on the REAR wheel instead of the front to give miles. Many thanks

It'll work, but if you stick the cyclocomputer on the bar the signal might not reach.

And since stationary bikes don't go anywhere at any speed, I say forget about it. Track your workouts by effort and duration instead. Ride at an effort level where talking begins to get difficult. Try for at least 45 minutes.

Reactions: jeremyrundle
Get a good routine going and stick to it. I been cycling for years but became a diabetic about a year ago. My A1c has been 5.6 the last 2 test. I am type I btw so nothing to do with weight or life style, just great luck I guess. Exercise keeps me on track.

Reactions: jeremyrundle
Well aside from exercise you should also look out on your eating habits. Avoid unhealthy food and start living a more healthier life starting from your food choices. It is the most fundamental part of the exercise, a balance diet. So your body can cope up with your training or exercise.

Pardon me if I sound ignorant. My brother is 57 and he is also diabetic with controlled diet and fortunately not on insulin yet. He bought a treadmill for his daily exercise and had lost a good amount of weight. And now he is using the bike because he said it is boring with the treadmill. He is a race horse trainer and it is nice to ride the bike in the vast spaces near the race track. My point is this - why not ride the bike so you can enjoy the sights? Maybe you can have a slow ride like what I was doing before.

I think I would suggest that you make sure to keep yourself from getting hurt. Since you are a diabetic wounds won't heal as fast as those healthy individuals. Be sure to use safety gears and always stay hydrated and bring some snacks and your medicine with you for emergency cases.

I'd say that turbo trainer could definitely be beneficial. Plenty of people use stationary bikes to train indoors, and that's pretty much what that is, except for people with an actual bike lying around.

I wouldn't worry much about tracking your distance though. Even when you're biking outside, it isn't so much about the distance as it is about the intensity with which you ride. Someone can ride 50km but it technically won't make them any healthier if their heart rate never goes up. Cycle until you feel your heart rate rise, and then maintain that intensity for 30-40 minutes.

Pardon me if I sound ignorant. My brother is 57 and he is also diabetic with controlled diet and fortunately not on insulin yet. He bought a treadmill for his daily exercise and had lost a good amount of weight. And now he is using the bike because he said it is boring with the treadmill. He is a race horse trainer and it is nice to ride the bike in the vast spaces near the race track. My point is this - why not ride the bike so you can enjoy the sights? Maybe you can have a slow ride like what I was doing before.

I think OP is referring to alternating between biking outside and keeping the muscles in shape while at home so he's also looking at indoor bikes.

Not very sure if that will give you strength as you wish, but any kind of exercise is better than to stay lazy at home. If you are diabetic, then you know that cardio will help you burn sugar and increase your insuline work, which is exactly what you need. Personal advice, take it easy beginning, don't rush to make a big effort the first day, and that will make you drop the work later on. You can increase your progress weekly instead of diary, and you will notice it feels better and comfy.

Well I would recommend that first you eat healthy food and a lot of dark grapes because it has good effects in normalizing cholesterol levels and helping in diabetes.

For exercise I would say try jogging and if you want to try cycling buy an Easy riding leisure bike with a low seat, this would decrease the risks of biking. A stationary bike is also a good way to get exercise.