General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Expedition 15

Started by Mark Gowans · · Last activity · 117 posts · 3,844 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
4 May 2004
Last activity
18 May 2004
Original author
Mark Gowans
Posts
117
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
3,844
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 61–80 of 117
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. [email hidden] said...

    Quoted message said:

    Fran, Paul, David Laight and I didn't do the Nantlle
    Ridge, but we walked the pass of Aberglaslyn instead - a
    delightful riverside walk which suited the little people -
    Katharyn Thomas and Pickle.

    As far as I know we all enjoyed the weekend including the
    midge ridden BBQ.


    Mind you, David was recovering from something or other IIRC,
    or he'd have been with the main group on the ridge.
    Catharine (now
    14) is no great lover of walking; Thomas (9) and Pickle (aka
    Nicky, 6) are usually game for just about anything.
    --
    Fran If you need my email address please ask.

  2. [email hidden] said...

    Quoted message said:

    I'm also capable of buying rounds in pubs (even Rhyd Ddu
    pubs who change their prices depending on whether the
    drinkers are English or Welsh).

    Do they really? Just as well there are a couple of Welsh
    speakers here then - perhaps we can fool them into thinking
    we're natives (says she, having just sat - or stood[1] - a
    sylvaen[2] exam in Welsh)

    [1] In English one sits an exam; in Welsh, because they
    *must* do things differently, one stands an exam.
    [2] Sylvaen is the level above entry level. IIRC there's at
    least one, possibly two levels to go before I'm ready
    for the GCSE. Will I pass as a native? Not a hope!
    --
    Fran If you need my email address please ask.

  3. Fran said:

    [email hidden] said...

    Quoted message said:

    So, is the emphasis on climbing big hills quickly or are
    there some slow ones amongst you, too?


    I might manage to get to Exp 15, but I certainly won't be
    joining in with the main group either on speed or
    distance.

    Your answers are all very encouraging. It sounds like
    there's scope for everyone to do what they want (although I
    should imagine there's a fair bit of leg-pulling in the pub
    in the evening.)

    I stopped going out with the Staffordshire Polytechnic
    Climbing and Rambling Club when they renamed it the Climbing
    and *Hillwalking* Club. Whilst I may now find the term
    "Rambler" offensive [1], I found the term "Hillwalker" a
    little too ... erm... well "hilly" for me!

    And 15 years on, I now have the confidence to say "I'm
    kn*ck*red. Anyone fancy taking the easy route back?"

    Judith
    [1] No offence meant to any RA-types out there! I've even
    got a pair of red wool-loop socks somewhere ;-)

  4. [email hidden] said...

    Quoted message said:

    BTW on Saturday alongside the River Glaslyn we had to
    physically restrain Fran from jumping into the river to
    cool off!


    Eh? I don't remember that bit! I do remember threatening to
    soak my T-shirt in the river, but I don't recall anyone
    getting physical... it happens so rarely these days I'm sure
    I'd have remembered... ;-)
    --
    Fran If you need my email address please ask.

  5. In article <[email hidden]>,
    Fran <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:

    Eh? I don't remember that bit! I do remember threatening to
    soak my T-shirt in the river, but I don't recall anyone
    getting physical... it happens so rarely these days I'm
    sure I'd have remembered... ;-)

    I tried to be discreet - couldn't mention your threat to
    strip off could I ?.....:-)
    --
    Bill Grey billboy.co.ukbillboy.co.uk

  6. Judith said:

    On 4 May 2004 00:38:20 -0700, [email hidden] (Mark

    Gowans) said:

    ...surely it must be about time to start planning Exp. 15?
    Any thoughts?

    M

    How "serious" are these u.r.w. expeds? I'd like to come
    along but may have trouble keeping up if you've all got
    long legs. I'm quite happy to leave the main group and
    wander off (on an easier route) on my own ...... but I
    wouldn't want to appear rude!

    So, is the emphasis on climbing big hills quickly or are
    there some slow ones amongst you, too?

    We've been doing these expeditions for a while now and at
    first there was a tendency to go fast and long without too
    much regard for slower walkers.

    After one particularly protracted bout of introspection I
    think there is now more awareness and encouragement of those
    who favour a less strenuous schedule.

    These days (or at least when I last attended a meet well
    over a year ago) there always seems to be at least a small
    group of people who prefer a more relaxed itinerary.

    If you are going to start with the main group but divert on
    an easier route at some point, it is worth letting people
    know that you will be doing this before the walk starts to
    avoid misunderstandings...

  7. In article <[email hidden]>,
    Fran <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:

    I can just about keep up with Bill, who's around 20 years
    my senior.

    ......and that's when I'm carrying Paul :-)

    --
    Bill Grey billboy.co.ukbillboy.co.uk

  8. "roger" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]

    Quoted message said:

    More than some. It is the faster* walkers that tend to be
    very much in the minority. I think some of the walk times
    have come out at more than double Naismith.

    A 9:30 start and 1 mph is the norm on these meetings. The
    ability to talk a good walk is desirable though by no means
    essential.

    Ian.

    --
    Posted via Mailgate.ORG Server - mailgate.orgmailgate.org

  9. Ian Dainty said:

    "roger" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:2004051120065068959@no-
    spam.zetnet.co.uk

    Quoted message said:

    More than some. It is the faster* walkers that tend to be
    very much in the minority. I think some of the walk times
    have come out at more than double Naismith.

    A 9:30 start and 1 mph is the norm on these meetings.

    Half that pace for Mr. Saunders with all that photo kit!

    Quoted message said:

    The ability to talk a good walk is desirable though by no
    means essential.

    The ability to talk drivel will come with the beer or wine.

    Anybody coming on one of these expeditions needs to beware
    of Mr Dainty's video camera.
    --
    Phil Cook looking north over the park to the
    "Westminster Gasworks"

  10. [email hidden] said...

    Quoted message said:

    In article
    <[email hidden]>, Fran
    <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:

    Eh? I don't remember that bit! I do remember threatening
    to soak my T-shirt in the river, but I don't recall
    anyone getting physical... it happens so rarely these
    days I'm sure I'd have remembered... ;-)

    I tried to be discreet - couldn't mention your threat to
    strip off could I ?.....:-)


    LOL!!
    --
    Fran If you need my email address please ask.

  11. Paul Rooney <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:
    Judith said:

    Well, I've never done Tryfan as it just looks like a big
    [censored] heap to me

    !!!??!!!!!??***$%$%££!

    Words fail me.


    But not me. It never appealed to me, either.
    --
    Gordon

  12. Fran <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    [email hidden] said...

    Quoted message said:

    How about camping somewhere in the Conwy Valley? The hard
    walk could go up into the Carneddau. Gentler options
    might include wandering over Great Orme (I was there two
    weeks ago and the copper mines are much more interesting
    than I expected) or flying kites on the beach in
    Llandudno.


    Sounding good so far...

    Yeaah - throw in an en-suite room, dinner and breakfast and
    we could be persuaded. ;-)
    --
    Gordon

  13. In article <[email hidden]>, Paul
    Saunders <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Although I've been up Snowdon a couple of times, I'm not
    overly familiar with any part of Snowdonia. I've walked
    from Capel Curig and Rhyd Ddu a couple of times but I do
    seem to spend most of my time drooling in Cotswolds in
    Betwys-y-Coed rather than walking,

    Tut tut...

    Don't knock it Paul, unless my wife is allowed to "bag" Anna
    Davies' shop while I to a circular walk of the outdoor
    shops, I'd never be allowed near B-Y-C again :-)
    --
    Bill Grey billboy.co.ukbillboy.co.uk

  14. Paul Saunders <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:
    Gordon said:
    Quoted message said:

    > or flying kites on the beach in Llandudno.
    >
    Sounding good so far...

    Yeaah - throw in an en-suite room, dinner and breakfast
    and we could be persuaded. ;-)

    Plenty of nice holiday accomodation in Llandudno.


    I know, we spent our hunnymune there.
    --
    Gordon

  15. Andy Howell <andy.howellNOSPAM@ecotrendDOTorgDOTuk.?> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    I was in Stamfords in Covent Garden and was having a
    genetle browse when I noticed a bloke doing the same
    wearing, yes, un-marked Scarpas.

    This must be a new trend in walking that I've missed so
    far!


    Not sure who was the biggest gear freak, the one modestly
    wearing unmarked Scarpas or the person who can recognise
    unmarked Scarpas. ;-)
    --
    Gordon

  16. Paul Saunders <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:
    Gordon said:
    Quoted message said:

    Plenty of nice holiday accomodation in Llandudno.


    I know, we spent our hunnymune there.

    So you're cumming then?

    Sorry......... ;-)


    My daughter, S-I-L, and grandson will be over here from
    Calliffornya some thyme in July, so I'm not sure I
    could make it.
    --
    Gordon

  17. Fran <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    [email hidden] said...

    Quoted message said:

    Fran <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    [email hidden] said...
    > How about camping somewhere in the Conwy Valley? The
    > hard walk could go up into the Carneddau. Gentler
    > options might include wandering over Great Orme (I was
    > there two weeks ago and the copper mines are much more
    > interesting than I expected) or flying kites on the
    > beach in Llandudno.
    >
    Sounding good so far...

    Yeaah - throw in an en-suite room, dinner and breakfast
    and we could be persuaded. ;-)


    Conwy YH has some en-suite rooms, having been retirement
    flats prior to its conversion as a YH. Breakfast and
    evening meal are available for a reasonable fee.

    Thanks, wheel have to see, got visitors in July.
    --
    Gordon

  18. Paul Saunders <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:
    Gordon said:

    Not sure who was the biggest gear freak, the one modestly
    wearing unmarked Scarpas or the person who can recognise
    unmarked Scarpas. ;-)

    I sometimes walk into some kind of shop or other after a
    walk and I doubt if anyone would be able to recognise the
    make of boot that I'm wearing underneath the thick layer of
    caked on mud. I have also wondered whether or not I should
    feel slighty embarrased about the mud splattered onto my
    army surplus combat trousers, but I usually end up
    thinking, "What the hell?, these are my work clothes!".

    Paul

    Well, I usually take my boots off when I go in Morrisons
    after a walk, but the muddy Paramo pants don't seem to
    attract much attention, although the security guards usually
    look nervous of my baseball cap.
    --
    Gordon

  19. In article <[email hidden]>, Katherine
    <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:

    That way, at least 2 from California will make it to an
    expedition.

    Why not have Expedition 16 in San Diego :?
    --
    Bill Grey billboy.co.ukbillboy.co.uk

  20. Fran <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    [email hidden] said...

    Quoted message said:

    Fran <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    [email hidden] said...
    > Fran <[email hidden]> wrote
    > >[email hidden] said...
    > >> How about camping somewhere in the Conwy Valley?
    > >> The hard walk could go up into the Carneddau.
    > >> Gentler options might include wandering over Great
    > >> Orme (I was there two weeks ago and the copper
    > >> mines are much more interesting than I expected) or
    > >> flying kites on the beach in Llandudno.
    > >>
    > >Sounding good so far...
    >
    > Yeaah - throw in an en-suite room, dinner and
    > breakfast and we could be persuaded. ;-)
    >
    Conwy YH has some en-suite rooms, having been retirement
    flats prior to its conversion as a YH. Breakfast and
    evening meal are available for a reasonable fee.

    Thanks, wheel have to see, got visitors in July.


    Bring 'em with you?

    Their idea of camping is in California weather, she has
    become very soft since living there.
    --
    Gordon

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.