Experience buying from"Competetive Cyclist"

ART

Jun 24, 2003
Has any one had experience buying a bike or equipment from Competetive Cyclist at www.competetivecyclist.com . They seem knowledgeable and very pleasant. Thinking of making a large purchase (Colnago) and do not want problems having to wait to long or not getting what I ordered. I have no reason to think there will be any problem but any feedback would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Hello...I am in the process of purchasing a DeRosa from Competitive Cyclist. First off let me tell you that all of the employees at C.C. are very informative and friendly. I purchased my frameset on layaway plan. Brendan the manager has called me several times to check in and discuss my order. He also will answer any questions you are having quickly via email. Brendan also is very knowledgeable and interacts with these companies directly(read his piece on interbike show). Call and talk to C.C. with any questions over phone or email( I did both numerous times in my purchasing process).I would highly recommend Competitive Cyclist. I will be receiving my ride in the next week so feel free to contact me with any other questions. Brian

I totally agree, the people at "Competetive Cyclists" are very knowledgeable and great people (Brendan, Jason and Craig).

I just ordered my 2004 Look KG 386i from Brendan last Wednesday and yesterday I saw the photo of it appear in their photo gallery.

These guys love this business and there website is just first class in the types of bikes they sell and all the components you can mix and match. Actually, Brendan was going to be out of the store for a bit that day and actually gave me his cellular number if I had any questions. First Class bunch of people!

Here is my bike soon to arrive!

2004 Look KG 386i (Carbon)
  • Campagnolo Chorus-10
  • Ritchey WCS OS stem & handlebar
  • Mavic Ksyrium Elite Clincher
  • Vittoria Open Corsa CX EVO-K 700x23 Red
  • Selle Italia Flite Titanium
16.5 lbs. w/o pedals

That's a beautiful bike...hope you enjoy it for many good miles.
Dan

That is one beautiful bike.

I am in the market for a Colnago C-50. I have received quotes from a number of vendors, many with great prices, (one quote today was better than CC's) the others are all in the same ballpark but I want to make the purchase from a dependable and reliable company. I liked the people at CC very much but want to make sure they can deliver the goods. Colnagos are funny- certain preffered vendors get the bikes their customers order long before other vendors.

Art

Originally posted by EastCoast
I totally agree, the people at "Competetive Cyclists" are very knowledgeable and great people (Brendan, Jason and Craig).

I just ordered my 2004 Look KG 386i from Brendan last Wednesday and yesterday I saw the photo of it appear in their photo gallery.

These guys love this business and there website is just first class in the types of bikes they sell and all the components you can mix and match. Actually, Brendan was going to be out of the store for a bit that day and actually gave me his cellular number if I had any questions. First Class bunch of people!

• Campagnolo Chorus-10
16.5 lbs. w/o pedals

Originally posted by ART
That is one beautiful bike.

I am in the market for a Colnago C-50. I have received quotes from a number of vendors, many with great prices, (one quote today was better than CC's) the others are all in the same ballpark but I want to make the purchase from a dependable and reliable company. I liked the people at CC very much but want to make sure they can deliver the goods. Colnagos are funny- certain preffered vendors get the bikes their customers order long before other vendors.

Art

Again, they have a hugh inventory and will price match so give Brendan a call.

I thought I would respond to this thread because I have been in contact with Competitive cyclist lately myself.

I think they have the best website and service on the net. I have sent them Q's concerning a bike I am purchasing and was responded to within 1 day! Since there are no LBS's where I live providing the kind of equipment sold at Competitive Cyclist I have no guilty feelings buying over the net.

Has anybody ever had any bad experiences purchasing equipment with any companies over the net? If there is a thread on this site that I have missed regarding this subject I would like to know, I am interested in what experiences others have had.

Originally posted by retrogeek
I thought I would respond to this thread because I have been in contact with Competitive cyclist lately myself.

I think they have the best website and service on the net. I have sent them Q's concerning a bike I am purchasing and was responded to within 1 day! Since there are no LBS's where I live providing the kind of equipment sold at Competitive Cyclist I have no guilty feelings buying over the net.

Has anybody ever had any bad experiences purchasing equipment with any companies over the net? If there is a thread on this site that I have missed regarding this subject I would like to know, I am interested in what experiences others have had.

I think these guys are great, that I just ordered clothing from them (Assos) that will arrive this week. My bike was 2004 Look KG386i arrived perfect as ordered.

I ordered from them one time and it was all good. Fast and cheap. But if you live in Texas, you are screwed because the state sales tax is like over 8%.

I have recieved my bike from CC several weeks ago. Brendan and the others there a informative and pleasant to deal with. Brendan responded to all of my emails within 24hrs and made phone contact several times. My ride is very nice and would encourage others to check them out. Here is a photo of my ride

2003 De Rosa Merak
Campagnolo Record
Campagnolo Neutron Wheelset
Deda Bar/Stem/Seatpost

Originally posted by ART
Has any one had experience buying a bike or equipment from Competetive Cyclist at www.competetivecyclist.com . They seem knowledgeable and very pleasant. Thinking of making a large purchase (Colnago) and do not want problems having to wait to long or not getting what I ordered. I have no reason to think there will be any problem but any feedback would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I dealt with them on my Pinarello, Brendan and Jason in particular, and my case is somewhat unique in showing how great their service is. I bought a 52CM Galileo from them, advertised in silver/yel. Two days later Jason called to let me know they didn't have the galileo in that size/color. (the one they had was damaged). so they would sell me a 2003 for the same price ( I should state I was buying a closeout 02). The 03 was blue and I hesitantly agreed. In the interim I was hooked up with GVH bikes, who had a yel/grey 52 in stock, I called to confirm he had his hands on it, and then called Jason at CC. After he ordered the bike in from the distributor, he graciously agreed to let me out as he "could tell I really wanted the yellow", the thing is, I was ready to follow through with them as I knew he had placed the order. They were great, even though I was buying my frame elsewhere, he took the time to fill me in on a few things about the galileo, and pinarello in general, as well as advise me on components. The next bike I buy will come from them, without a doubt.

Dave

For Colnago, Maestro in the UK is the best --- prices are about what the shops here pay wholesale. Mike is a great guy, and seems to get product quick.

Originally posted by EastCoast

• Campagnolo Chorus-10
16.5 lbs. w/o pedals

Let's try this again. I had decided on a Look 386i and have been researching the coponents for the frame. After searching the internet for examples I found this webiste. Upon seeing your bike I am more certain than ever that this is the bike for me. That is an awesome looking bike. Can you compare this ride to your older one? I am considering contacting Wrench Science or Competitive Cyclists to purchase this bike. Does Competitive Cyclists negotiate on price beyond that stated on the website for the bike?

Thanks,

Steve ....ride on....

Originally posted by starcon77
Let's try this again. I had decided on a Look 386i and have been researching the coponents for the frame. After searching the internet for examples I found this webiste. Upon seeing your bike I am more certain than ever that this is the bike for me. That is an awesome looking bike. Can you compare this ride to your older one? I am considering contacting Wrench Science or Competitive Cyclists to purchase this bike. Does Competitive Cyclists negotiate on price beyond that stated on the website for the bike?

Thanks,

Steve ....ride on....

I just ordered the KG 386i from my LBS. The offered to match the price offered here and I like the idea if buying from a shop.

I road this frame compared to a Trek 5900 and 5500 and much preferred the look frames. They just felt quicker and liveier to me.

I'm sure CC does a great based on what's posted here, I just felt better for the same price buying from my LBS.

Scott Shields

Originally posted by scottshields
I just ordered the KG 386i from my LBS. The offered to match the price offered here and I like the idea if buying from a shop.

I road this frame compared to a Trek 5900 and 5500 and much preferred the look frames. They just felt quicker and liveier to me.

I'm sure CC does a great based on what's posted here, I just felt better for the same price buying from my LBS.

Scott Shields

Thanks for your response. I agree that it would be preferable to buy the bike from a LBS. However, the options I wanted just were not offered or cost more on top of the price of the bike without credit. I did order the Look 386i bike from CC. I have my fingers crossed.