experience inner ankle pain?

cldpsu

Nov 2, 2003
Hey guys.. i was stretching my achilles today and experience a brief moment of pain in my inner ankle ligament i suppose? have you guys ever experienced this? im not sure how my saddle positioning could be affecting this.. maybe too far forward causing my achilles to stretch out too much when im at the back of the pedal stroke. just got a little worried, was hoping you might have some feedback, thanks.

cldpsu said:
Hey guys.. i was stretching my achilles today and experience a brief moment of pain in my inner ankle ligament i suppose? have you guys ever experienced this? im not sure how my saddle positioning could be affecting this.. maybe too far forward causing my achilles to stretch out too much when im at the back of the pedal stroke. just got a little worried, was hoping you might have some feedback, thanks.
Sounds like you may have overstretched. The achilles can be excessively stressed by both a too high or too low saddle. If your saddle is too high (or if the shoe cleats are mounted too far forward), you may put extra strain on the calf muscles (gastrocnemius and soleus) from "toe pedaling" which then leads to excess stress on the achilles. Conversely a saddle that is too low can cause excessive dorsiflexion of the foot (heel dropping to low) and put stress on the achilles from overextension.

John M said:
Sounds like you may have overstretched. The achilles can be excessively stressed by both a too high or too low saddle. If your saddle is too high (or if the shoe cleats are mounted too far forward), you may put extra strain on the calf muscles (gastrocnemius and soleus) from "toe pedaling" which then leads to excess stress on the achilles. Conversely a saddle that is too low can cause excessive dorsiflexion of the foot (heel dropping to low) and put stress on the achilles from overextension.

that definitely makes sense man.. i always had that in mind, just haven't heard it from someone else. So in order to prevent toe pedaling and excessive dorsiflexion.. what should be the appropriate height? i know they have all these little tricks.. but i use them and i still end up in one of these situations...

could overpronation by another possibility?

LeMond Le Wedges are handy for rectifying pronation or supination problems, but they're a bit expensive for a few strips of hard plastic