Experience of Velowalker (or similar) Child's Bike?

John B wrote:
> Alan Braggins wrote:
>
> > >In learning to ride a bike, balance is the hardest thing to master.
> > >Those scoot-along bikes will teach balance and turning. The only
> > >things left to teach are pedalling and braking.

> > Though tricycles and tag-a-longs can teach pedalling without some of
> > the disadvantages of stabilisers.

> The best I found was the use of a tandem with kiddiecranks as it means the
> youngster *has* to keep pedalling and cannot freewheel.
> Yes, I'm a hard man; there's no slouching here ;-)

Though my kids prefer that I don't have my cycling shoes on, otherwise
I can clip in and really spin ;-)

Having the youngest stand up on the back is always noticeable..

...d

On Fri, 03 Nov 2006 09:40:38 +0000, John B <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Once the rider is confident in a stop and a start we will introduce balance. This
>usually comes *very* quickly and the result is that in 9 times out of 10 the
>rider will be pedalling off within 45 minutes to an hour.

I find that new cyclists start riding between 10 minutes and 2 hours
of training. I tend to work with groups of up to ten children and
four instructors. Possibly the other difference is that I work with
all children, not just those who want to learn to ride (or whose
parents want them to learn).

Tom Crispin wrote:

> On Fri, 03 Nov 2006 09:40:38 +0000, John B <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> >Once the rider is confident in a stop and a start we will introduce balance. This
> >usually comes *very* quickly and the result is that in 9 times out of 10 the
> >rider will be pedalling off within 45 minutes to an hour.

> I find that new cyclists start riding between 10 minutes and 2 hours
> of training. I tend to work with groups of up to ten children and
> four instructors.

The largest group of compete beginners we have had is three, who were taught in about
45 minutes, but most training is one-to-one.
One of the most satisfying sessions was teaching a middle-aged adult who was
completely deaf, who was taught to ride, steer, and even signal in around half an
hour. My only means of communication was through sign language and demonstration.
However, this was beaten (just) by a 10-year old with cerebral palsy who rode off
into the sunset shouting "I can ride, I can ride, I can ride" :))

> Possibly the other difference is that I work with
> all children, not just those who want to learn to ride (or whose
> parents want them to learn).

Parents are often the biggest problem :-(
Many come to us as a last resort, having tried all the wrong methods which has often
resulted in a breakdown of parental/child confidence.

Perhaps parents should be banned ;-)

John B