experience of zap electric bike

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by stupot, Mar 16, 2005.

  1. stupot

    stupot Guest

    AtoB say its not bad...
    http://www.atob.org.uk/Electric_Buyers'_Guide.html
    http://zapworld.com/products/dxkit_bike.asp

    However does anyone have any real experience of one of these?
    Or a UK distributor?

    ta,
    Stuart.

    Tags:

  2. Simonb

    Simonb Guest

    stupot wrote:

    > AtoB say its not bad...
    > http://www.atob.org.uk/Electric_Buyers'_Guide.html
    > http://zapworld.com/products/dxkit_bike.asp
    >
    > However does anyone have any real experience of one of these?
    > Or a UK distributor?

    No expericnce of either. Why do you want a motor-assist bike as opposed to a
    pedal bike?

  3. stupot

    stupot Guest

    I think Ive been here before but...
    I have a ~6-7 mile commute down hill (largely) and up hill going home.
    In the evening Im a little tired (at the end of a days work) and would
    like to get home without expending an enormous effort. I admit that the
    ride is getting easier (55mins down to 45mins after ~3mnths) but it is
    still knackering.

    Im going at sub 10mph up the hills and I think that an electric machine
    would improve my average speed and save the legs a little.

    Im not sure I can eat enough dohnuts to sustain my weight with all this
    exercise. :) I also want to do other exercise (footy and weekend walks)
    and its just too much to cycle hard both ways plus the other stuff. I dont
    mind being fit but I have no desire to be super fit - lazy?

    Are there any electric users on this group?

    And another question... :)
    What is the legal status of these machines in the UK?
    http://www.staton-inc.com/
    I guessing that they are not bicycles.

    Simonb wrote:
    > No expericnce of either. Why do you want a motor-assist bike as opposed to a
    > pedal bike?

  4. Naqerj

    Naqerj Guest

  5. Naqerj

    Naqerj Guest

    stupot wrote:
    > I think Ive been here before but...
    > I have a ~6-7 mile commute down hill (largely) and up hill going home.
    > In the evening Im a little tired (at the end of a days work) and would
    > like to get home without expending an enormous effort. I admit that the
    > ride is getting easier (55mins down to 45mins after ~3mnths) but it is
    > still knackering.
    >
    > Im going at sub 10mph up the hills and I think that an electric machine
    > would improve my average speed and save the legs a little.

    I reckon the ZAP would be the ideal machine for that sort of use. With
    the motor disengaged there is no extra rolling resistance for your ride
    to work and the extra weight is hardly a problem if you're going down
    hill. Assuming it hasn't changed much since I rode one, it won't get
    you up that hill much faster than you do it now, though it will be less
    effort. To qualify as an EAPC (see below) these things have a 15mph
    limit on the motor. A lot will accelerate all the way to the limit but
    the ZAP doesn't - the amount of push drops as the speed increases.

    > Im not sure I can eat enough dohnuts to sustain my weight with all this
    > exercise. :) I also want to do other exercise (footy and weekend walks)
    > and its just too much to cycle hard both ways plus the other stuff. I dont
    > mind being fit but I have no desire to be super fit - lazy?
    >
    > Are there any electric users on this group?

    Dunno, I'm not, I just happen to have test ridden a few.

    > And another question... :)
    > What is the legal status of these machines in the UK?
    > http://www.staton-inc.com/
    > I guessing that they are not bicycles.

    They are near enough bicycles. The Legal definition is Electrically
    Assisted Pedal Cycle (usually shortened to EAPC). As long as they
    conform to the EAPC regulations (which the ZAP does) they can be ridden
    as a bicycle. Unlike a pedal cycle, there's a minimum age before you
    can ride one (I can't remember what it is... 14 p'raps) - I think that's
    the only difference.

    --
    Andrew

  6. Apparently, there is a new way to charge an electric bike's
    battery (batteries?) in 15 minutes.

    In ebay, offered under Item number: 5570288521

    Claims 5 miles charge in 15 minutes, by modification to
    existing electric bicycles, scooters, mopeds, and motorcycles
    (there are a few, see Can-EV website)

  7. Roger

    Roger Guest

    Hi Stuart,

    Don't know anything about the model you mentioned but the Lafree (made
    by Giant) is a nice bike. It has a very lightweight battery and could
    be ridden comfortably without power assist.
    The power assist is through a torque converter in the bottom bracket -
    you only get assist when you pedal (when switched on!) and the harder
    you pedal the more assist you get - a good setup if you like cycling
    as opposed to sitting still.
    regards

    Roger