experience taking bike on AirFrance?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Chuck Waterfiel, Mar 24, 2003.

  1. Hi,

    I'm flying on AirFrance and intending to take my bike. When I asked they said "Policy is no charge
    for a bike as long as the three dimensions add up to less than 62 inches. Otherwise 62-80 inches is
    $90 each way."

    At first I thought they had a decent policy, not charging for bikes. And then I realized that
    nothing but a tricycle will fit into a box less than 62". And my bike case actually measures about
    83", enough to make me worry that they wouldn't even let me take it for the $90 fee.

    Has anyone flown AirFrance to Europe with their bike? Any experiences to share?

    Thanks,

    Chuck Waterfield

    Tags:

  2. Chuck Waterfield <[email protected]> wrote:
    : I'm flying on AirFrance and intending to take my bike. When I asked they said "Policy is no charge
    : for a bike as long as the three dimensions add up to less than 62 inches. Otherwise 62-80 inches
    : is $90 each way."

    that's interesting and kinda funny. 62" is the (free) checked-in baggage limit of almost every
    airline and not coincidentally exactly the size of my S&S coupled bike in its soft case.

    they gave you a line.
    --
    david reuteler [email protected]

  3. Ron Hardin

    Ron Hardin Guest

    I guess they have to add all the dimensions to avoid arguments over which way is the height, and
    taking volume would run into people shipping window panes.

    Shipping a tetrahedron would at least give them pause over how to measure it.

    Point out that it's not fair to add any of the diameters because they don't add _any_ diamaters of
    boxes, just sides; and it's not fair to add sides pointing about the same direction more than once.
    Use the idea that a very slightly irregular box causes them to add only a set of nearly orthogonal
    edges, not any old edges.
    --
    Ron Hardin [email protected]

  4. George

    George Guest

    For some time I've been collecting information on user experiences taking bikes on planes, trains,
    buses, boats, etc. There's lots of stuff on rentals, folding bikes, boxing, AIRLINES, and railroads
    around the world and how to ride in/out of about 120 airports.

    See it at http://www.BikeAccess.net

    Chuck Waterfield wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm flying on AirFrance and intending to take my bike. When I asked they said "Policy is no charge
    > for a bike as long as the three dimensions add up to less than 62 inches. Otherwise 62-80 inches
    > is $90 each way."
    >
    > At first I thought they had a decent policy, not charging for bikes. And then I realized that
    > nothing but a tricycle will fit into a box less than 62". And my bike case actually measures about
    > 83", enough to make me worry that they wouldn't even let me take it for the $90 fee.
    >
    > Has anyone flown AirFrance to Europe with their bike? Any experiences to share?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Chuck Waterfield

  5. thanks, George. Great website!

    The AirFrance comments are everything from "$900 charge for an oversized bike case" to "free if the
    bike is unboxed, they just wheel it onto the plane." I may take my old bike and risk the unboxed
    shipping. Think I will call AirFrance and ask them to clarify and also to type the agreement into my
    electronic ticket comments area so that when I get there I won't face any surprises. (This was a
    suggestion I found elsewhere.)

    Chuck

    "George" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > For some time I've been collecting information on user experiences taking bikes on planes, trains,
    > buses, boats, etc. There's lots of stuff on rentals, folding bikes, boxing, AIRLINES, and
    > railroads around the world and how to ride in/out of about 120 airports.
    >
    > See it at http://www.BikeAccess.net
    >

    > Chuck Waterfield wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I'm flying on AirFrance and intending to take my bike. When I asked
    they
    > > said "Policy is no charge for a bike as long as the three dimensions add
    up
    > > to less than 62 inches. Otherwise 62-80 inches is $90 each way."
    > >
    > > At first I thought they had a decent policy, not charging for bikes.
    And
    > > then I realized that nothing but a tricycle will fit into a box less
    than
    > > 62". And my bike case actually measures about 83", enough to make me
    worry
    > > that they wouldn't even let me take it for the $90 fee.
    > >
    > > Has anyone flown AirFrance to Europe with their bike? Any experiences
    > > share?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > Chuck Waterfield

  6. F. Golightly

    F. Golightly Guest

    "Chuck Waterfield" <[email protected]>
    > The AirFrance comments are everything from "$900 charge for an oversized bike case" to "free if
    > the bike is unboxed...

    Why not fly another airline? Why AirFrance?

  7. H. M. Leary

    H. M. Leary Guest

    In article <Io0ga[email protected]>, "F. Golightly" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Chuck Waterfield" <[email protected]>
    > > The AirFrance comments are everything from "$900 charge for an oversized bike case" to "free if
    > > the bike is unboxed...
    >

    > Why not fly another airline? Why AirFrance?

    Why back when.....

    We used to have a slogan: ³Take a chance, fly Air France!²

    HAND

  8. Bikerjaz

    Bikerjaz Guest

    I flew Air France to Europe last summer with my bike in a Performance hard shell case. I was not
    charged extra, though on the return from Charles de Gaulle airport I was taken out of the boarding
    line and accompanied by a charming attendent down to the baggage area, where I had to unlock the box
    and remove the bike for inspection - the box didn't fit into X-ray machine. JAZ

    "Chuck Waterfield" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm flying on AirFrance and intending to take my bike. When I asked they said "Policy is no charge
    > for a bike as long as the three dimensions add
    up
    > to less than 62 inches. Otherwise 62-80 inches is $90 each way."
    >
    > At first I thought they had a decent policy, not charging for bikes. And then I realized that
    > nothing but a tricycle will fit into a box less than 62". And my bike case actually measures about
    > 83", enough to make me
    worry
    > that they wouldn't even let me take it for the $90 fee.
    >
    > Has anyone flown AirFrance to Europe with their bike? Any experiences to share?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Chuck Waterfield

  9. I'm just back from my trip and thought I would share what happened to close out this thread.

    I had confirmed with two phone calls and they were very clear about the "rules" of $90 for cases
    between 62-80" and $180 for over 80". Yet, when I arrived to check in, first in Philadelphia, and in
    Barcelona on the return, I quickly said "It's just my bike" when they looked at the size of the case
    (a Performance Cargo Case). In both instances they didn't even hesitate. They allowed me to check
    the case as my second piece of luggage, no charge. What a relief!

    Chuck Waterfield