Experience with builders that do Rohloff configurations?

Discussion in 'Touring and recreational cycling' started by zerobuttons, Dec 4, 2010.

1. zerobuttons

zerobuttons New Member

This will be my presentation of myself, since I didn´t see a specific members forum, so here it goes...../img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

I plan to buy a new touring/trekking bicycle March-April 2011, and am looking into a Rohloff configuration. Could I get you to say a few words about your experiences here, if you have bought a bicycle from a builder in EU that do Rohloff?

I am thinking about these guys for instance, but I may not have spotted all European builders who make bicycles with this gear hub:
    Thorn
    Mi-Tech
    Van Nicholas
    Nicolai
    Koga Miyata

Tags:

2. vspa

vspa Active Member

No experience with the Rohloff gear system myself but from your builders list,
    Koga Miyata must be doing things right: just checked a tour report from their website with 0 punctures and no mechanicals on a 1200 kms gravel up-and-down route. I have done half of that route with 2 broken rear racks, several spokes broken and a handfull of punctures ...

3. zerobuttons

zerobuttons New Member

Regarding punctures: I have ridden Schwalbe Marathons and other "hardened" tires for 10 years now on my to-and-from-work (10km each way) bicycle, passing over a lot of glass from broken bottles and car-windows, without a single puncture.

Regarding the rest: it sounds incredible, on the other hand the Koga Miyata touring/trekking specimens I have seen were clearly overbuilt. That will of course give you a heavier bicycle, but you will also ride longer between breakdowns. Some prefer that. I see that they offer hydraulic disc brake for the front wheel with their touring bicycles. I also see that a lot of other builders refuse to offer that configuration because it forces the builder to either make the left fork blade from heavier gauge, or make the whole fork from heavier gauge. Either solution will remove the finished result from what the builder promises otherwise. I suspect that Koga Miyata simply makes their fork from gauge that is heavy enough to make sure that it can take the breaking forces of bicycle with rider and full luggage load. That will enevitably make the fork heavier and remove some, if not all, of the small amount of spring you normally have in rake blades.

One notable exception: one of the builders I have recieved an offer from, offered hydraulic disc brake front with a carbon fork. I wonder if any of their customes have ever chosen that and used the bicycle for real touring.

4. vspa

vspa Active Member

i recently installed Disc Brakes, which is an awesome upgrade IMO, however they can get in the way with your rack and panniers, so im yet to test them with a fully loaded bike.

Carbon stuff cannot stand lateral weight and sharp objects for example, you know how airlines crew handle luggage, so,

5. zerobuttons

zerobuttons New Member

The disc brakes with front carrier ought to be possible, since some factory models have this. I have, however, also noticed that at least one of those had a funnily shaped left fork blade.....

6. zerobuttons

zerobuttons New Member

Just to finish this off:
    I ended up ordering a Koga Signature 30. December and it was delivered to the dealer here in Copenhagen 10. February, four days ago. It is everything I hoped for. The Rohloff hub makes the gears feel almost stepless, and the Schmidt hub dynamo I also opted for, can just as well be turned on all the time - I´m unable to feel any drag whatsoever from it.
    Of course, with options like these, my new bicycle is no light-weighter, but that doesn´t matter too much in my case. The durability and stability of the bicycle and its components have first priority to me. I also chose simple V-brakes over hydraulic disc brakes to get a solution that is more time-proven and which is simpler to problem-solve with.

Here is my configuration:

• Frame KS-TR 28: Frame colour Mystic Black, Frame size 50cm
    • Fork Wide Bone rigid
    • Group set Rohloff Speedhub 14-speed
    • Brakes Shimano V-brake
    • Tyres Schwalbe Marathon 37mm
    • Rims and spokes KM21 Xstrong / Sapim
    • Saddle Brooks B-17 Standard gents leather
    • Seat post Koga Signature®
    • Handlebar PRO MTB Cross Country
    • Stem PRO adjustable
    • Grips Ergon GC2-L
    • Pedals Shimano Combi PD-A530
    • Rear carrier Tubus Logo
    • Dynamo SONdelux
    • Headlight Son LED Edelux
    • Rear light B&M 4D'Toplight
    • Kickstand Pletscher Comp
    • Mudguards SKS Chromoplastics
    • Chain case/guard Hebie Chainglider
    • Weight 16 kg

I also bought a pair of Ortlieb Tourer rear panniers, by the way. I´m very happy with the whole package.....[​IMG]