Experience with HP Velotechnic Speedmachine

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rob

Hi all,

I am wondering how many people are riding the HP Velotechnic Speedmachine. I was wondering if anyone
had any problems with them. I borrowed one from a friend for a week, and had problems with the
brakes, (not the bike's fault), and the chain guard, (wire holding the chain guard broke... seems to
be a weak link).

What are your opinions on this bike.

From what I rode on it, it was fast and the added weight didn't seem to make a difference to the
speed. I was having some problems getting comfortable on it thou.

Rob.

Hi Rob,

You (Rob) wrote:
> I am wondering how many people are riding the HP Velotechnic Speedmachine. I was wondering if
> anyone had any problems with them.
>
I'm riding mine without any problems. You can have a look at it on my homepage.

Regards, Helmuth

--
Home page: http://www.schutzeich.de/index.htm Virtual Access 5.51 build 315, Windows 2000 build 2600
Edited: Sun, 06 Apr 2003 08:40 +0200 CET Replies in NG only please.

hardshell seats come in different sizes... "Rob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi all,
>
> I am wondering how many people are riding the HP Velotechnic Speedmachine. I was wondering if
> anyone had any problems with them. I borrowed one from
a
> friend for a week, and had problems with the brakes, (not the bike's
fault),
> and the chain guard, (wire holding the chain guard broke... seems to be a weak link).
>
> What are your opinions on this bike.
>
> From what I rode on it, it was fast and the added weight didn't seem to
make
> a difference to the speed. I was having some problems getting comfortable on it thou.
>
> Rob.

I have had a Speedmachine for 2 years now and really like it. It's both fast and comfortable. The
only problem I had was with the older stem which had the cables running through it. That created a
weakness where the cables entered. (I broke 2 stems) The newer one has the cables running outside
the stem and has been fine. Can't really comment on the brakes since I opted for Avid mechanical
disc brakes, and I don't use the chain guard.

Hope this helps,

Dan

Rob wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> anyone had any problems with them. I borrowed one from a friend for a week, and had problems with
> the brakes, (not the bike's fault), and the chain guard, (wire holding the chain guard broke...
> seems to be a weak link).
>
> What are your opinions on this bike.
>
> From what I rode on it, it was fast and the added weight didn't seem to make a difference to the
> speed. I was having some problems getting comfortable on it thou.
>
> Rob.
>
>
>

--

Daniel T. W. Lum, M.D. Northwestern University, Evanston, IL. USA [email protected]

The only major problem I've had with mine in two years and coming up 10,000 km has been the stem
with internal cable routing, which rather inconveniently broke in the middle of Tottenham Broadway
during a lane change. The wire holding the chain tubes did break too, but it wasn't too hard to beef
up with bits of coathanger.

Top tip #37b: Get another chain tube clamp to secure the power side of the chain to the forward
hanger. Make a big difference.

'tis a fine bicycle, and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

Dave Larrington - http://legslarry.crosswinds.net/
===========================================================
Editor - British Human Power Club Newsletter
http://www.bhpc.org.uk/
===========================================================

Problems stemming from the stem have been addressed by HPV. They have recalled the stem, and you can
get a replacement from them through an HPV dealer. See here:

http://www.hpvelotechnik.com/produkte/spm/vorbauaustausch_e.html

I didn't pay the recall no mind until this thread showed up. 2 reports of broken stems!! Amazing.

As for the bike, it is fantastic. Although I had to lash the chain tubes to those metal wire springy
bits with cable ties to prevent them from migrating. The handle bars are wide. D. Larrington
recommended bar ends to create an alternate speedy hand position - a great idea - but rather than go
for the elk antler look, I swapped the stock bars with narrow ones from TerrraCycle. See here:

http://www.geoffadams.com/bikes/newbars.html

TerraCycle ... see here:

http://www.terracycle.com/handlebars.htm

-Geoff

Great bike.

I've had no problems with brakes, chain tubes or handlebars, though I've only ridden the bike for six months.

The only issue I've had is an annoying squeak from the vicinity of the rear hub. It starts about five miles into a journey, it only happens when the suspension is loaded, and it appears to be produced by the wheel turning. This makes it hard to investigate unless you're a contortionist with a remarkable sense of balance. Originally I thought it was the disc brake, but latterly I'm thinking it might be the wheel bearing. It seems to be getting quieter now.

I chose the "aero" handlebars, mainly, I must admit, because I kept falling off bikes with tiller steering. That said, I find them very comfortable, and I fondly imagine that they give the bike a sort of Easy Rider look.

Chris Walker

Originally posted by Rob
Hi all,

I am wondering how many people are riding the HP Velotechnic Speedmachine. I was wondering if anyone
had any problems with them. I borrowed one from a friend for a week, and had problems with the
brakes, (not the bike's fault), and the chain guard, (wire holding the chain guard broke... seems to
be a weak link).

What are your opinions on this bike.

From what I rode on it, it was fast and the added weight didn't seem to make a difference to the
speed. I was having some problems getting comfortable on it thou.

Rob.

I've had my SM for a couple of months. Once your through the learning curve. it's really a lot of
fun. I still need more miles to say that I have indeed mastered this ride.

Status
Not open for further replies.