experience with Look Ergostem?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Almost Fast, May 19, 2003.

  1. Almost Fast

    Almost Fast Guest

    Tags:

  2. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

  3. Doug Noren

    Doug Noren Guest

    A friend has the quill style and it apparently came with an alloy quill bolt. Bad idea, it snapped
    as he went around a corner. Needless to say he went down hard.

    Doug N

    > almost fast wrote:
    > > Broken Look Ergo stem photos at http://www.geocities.com/almost_fast/look/
    >
    > I can't get that page to load up.
    >
    > What part of it broke?
    >
    > ~PB

  4. Almost Fast

    Almost Fast Guest

    > almost fast wrote:
    > > Broken Look Ergo stem photos at http://www.geocities.com/almost_fast/look/
    >
    > I can't get that page to load up.
    >
    > What part of it broke?
    >
    > ~PB

    The photos are large, and geocities is pretty slow, so please give it some time.

    Don't know what the part is called. It'a the cylindrical part of alloy that goes inside one of the
    two pivots. One bolt passes through it.

  5. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    almost fast wrote:

    >>> Broken Look Ergo stem photos at http://www.geocities.com/almost_fast/look/
    >>
    >> I can't get that page to load up.
    >>
    >> What part of it broke?

    > The photos are large, and geocities is pretty slow, so please give it some time.

    I get "The page cannot be displayed".

    > Don't know what the part is called. It'a the cylindrical part of alloy that goes inside one of the
    > two pivots. One bolt passes through it.

    Thanks for the info & warning.

    ~PB

  6. Almost Fast

    Almost Fast Guest

    > I get "The page cannot be displayed".

    Thanks for helping debug! Try viewing the page again. I reformatted the html and might have fixed
    some errors. I hope! :-^

  7. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    almost fast wrote:

    >> I get "The page cannot be displayed".
    >
    > Thanks for helping debug! Try viewing the page again. I reformatted the html and might have fixed
    > some errors. I hope! :-^

    Still doesn't work (same error) ...Could be my computer/ISP, although other sites seem to be

    ~PB

  8. Almost Fast

    Almost Fast Guest

    > >> I get "The page cannot be displayed".
    > >
    > > Thanks for helping debug! Try viewing the page again. I reformatted the html and might have
    > > fixed some errors. I hope! :-^
    >
    > Still doesn't work (same error) ...Could be my computer/ISP, although other sites seem to be
    >
    > ~PB

    Okay, thanks for the follow up. I've just deleted the index.html file. Now I can look at each photo
    from the directory structure. I hope you can, too!

  9. Peter Cole

    Peter Cole Guest

    "almost fast" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Broken Look Ergo stem photos at http://www.geocities.com/almost_fast/look/
    >
    > Hidden break in mine! Symptoms were slipping (sometimes).

    Just curious, did you use aerobars? The reason I ask is that I just broke a Nitto (Technomic,
    aluminum). Mine broke at the quill, about an inch above the locknut, my guess is that my aerobar use
    stressed it a lot. In my case the quill bolt (steel) held, so no crash, but still spooky.

  10. Almost Fast

    Almost Fast Guest

    "Peter Cole" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > "almost fast" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Broken Look Ergo stem photos at http://www.geocities.com/almost_fast/look/
    > >
    > > Hidden break in mine! Symptoms were slipping (sometimes).
    >
    > Just curious, did you use aerobars? The reason I ask is that I just broke a Nitto (Technomic,
    > aluminum). Mine broke at the quill, about an inch above the locknut, my guess is that my aerobar
    > use stressed it a lot. In my case the quill bolt (steel) held, so no crash, but still spooky.

    As a matter of fact, yes. The stem was used nearly full-time with aero bars.

  11. Peter Cole

    Peter Cole Guest

    "almost fast" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Peter Cole" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > "almost fast" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > Broken Look Ergo stem photos at http://www.geocities.com/almost_fast/look/
    > > >
    > > > Hidden break in mine! Symptoms were slipping (sometimes).
    > >
    > > Just curious, did you use aerobars? The reason I ask is that I just broke
    > > Nitto (Technomic, aluminum). Mine broke at the quill, about an inch above
    the
    > > locknut, my guess is that my aerobar use stressed it a lot. In my case the quill bolt (steel)
    > > held, so no crash, but still spooky.
    >
    > As a matter of fact, yes. The stem was used nearly full-time with aero bars.

    I suspected that, given where it cracked. I'm beginning to think that those of us who use aerobars
    really aren't served well by standard stems, the loading being different than that of plain
    handlebars. Something to think about...