Experience with Maxarya?

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Chris Bacon, Sep 19, 2003.

  1. Chris Bacon

    Chris Bacon Guest

    I'm considering buying a Maxarya and would like to hear any experiences people have had with the
    bike and/or the company. I've read a few threads from earlier this year. Thanks in advance.

    Chris

    Tags:

  2. John Riley

    John Riley New Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2003
    I live in Toronto and have had a lot of contact with Max; been by the office, had short test rides, that kind of thing. It's a small outfit, so if he got a bunch of orders in one day he might get backed up. Also if you want a 20" front wheel that can slow things down. If I was looking for this kind of bike, I wouldn't have a problem with him or the bike.

    There was a review and some comments in the discussion area over at BROL.

    You can email me privately if you feel the need.

    johnriley1 (at) rogers.com

  3. L Newman

    L Newman New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2003
    Hey Chris,

    I never had a recumbent before my current Maxarya but was attracted to the idea of bents. Last year I had some short rides on my friend's BikeE and later on tested some other bikes at my local bike shop. I found recumbents a great alternative to regular bikes to have a daily exercise without back and neck pain. I have a long technical background so my thoughts might be useful to you.

    I accidentally discovered Maxarya on internet and attracted to its design. I contacted them and got more info but never had chance to test it. Since I had some experience with other bikes, thought this Maxarya can be a good choice. After two months of research and many email exchange with the company I finally ordered my Ray-1X from a dealer in Canada. Here's my opinion after about 450 miles:

    The bikes is very well thought and technologically advanced. It has very sweet handling and great performance. The seat is very well done and comfortable. In overall I find the bike technically higher than BikeE and nicer than many bike there. I read a review done by an internet magazine called Bentrideronline and totally agree with the tester...This bikes has wonderful performance especially for city use and commuting. It has different options and have many accessories available. I think the company is small but seems they've invested a lot.

    The components are very high end and popular. The attention to details is amazing. I think for this quality, performance and attraction this is a good value for money. I didn't want to pay $3000US for a Bigha which is said to be 15 pound heavier than My Maxarya and probably doesn't have the same performance.

    The other important thing you may consider is the 20" front wheel which I think will make the bike more serious for longer and faster rides. I communicated with somebody who owns a Ray-1X with 20" front wheel. He ordered his bike from Urbane Cyclist in Toronto, Canada and loves it. Apparently Urbane Cylist is successful selling many bikes to US customers. You can contact them for more details as well.

    I like these Maxarya folks and would like to share my experience with anybody who needs more details about Maxarya. I sent the company a long story to be posted on their site. (you can email me for other questions you may have)

    Good luck to you and Maxarya!

  4. chrisbacon

    chrisbacon New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2003
    Thanks for your reply! I'm in a similar situation. I've always ridden bikes and disliked getting a kink in my neck trying to see where I was going. I tried a Bigha several weeks ago and was blown away by how comfortable it was. I was also blown away by its price, so I did some research (including the review) and decided on Maxarya. I'm waiting to see what the '04 models look like.

    Chris

  5. Mark Leuck

    Mark Leuck Guest

    "chrisbacon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Thanks for your reply! I'm in a similar situation. I've always ridden bikes and disliked getting a
    > kink in my neck trying to see where I was going. I tried a Bigha several weeks ago and was blown
    > away by how comfortable it was.

    Yes but would you pay $3,000 for a 50+ pou....er never mind :)

  6. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    Mark Leuck wrote:

    > "chrisbacon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Thanks for your reply! I'm in a similar situation. I've always ridden bikes and disliked getting
    > > a kink in my neck trying to see where I was going. I tried a Bigha several weeks ago and was
    > > blown away by how comfortable it was.
    >
    > Yes but would you pay $3,000 for a 50+ pou....er never mind :)

    Lorenzo L. Love? ;)

    Tom Sherman - Near the confluence of the Mississippi and Rock Rivers

  7. Mark Leuck

    Mark Leuck Guest

    > Mark Leuck wrote:
    > >
    > > "chrisbacon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > Thanks for your reply! I'm in a similar situation. I've always ridden bikes and disliked
    > > > getting a kink in my neck trying to see where I was going. I tried a Bigha several weeks ago
    > > > and was blown away by how comfortable it was.
    > >
    > > Yes but would you pay $3,000 for a 50+ pou....er never mind :)
    >
    > Lorenzo L. Love? ;)
    >
    > Tom Sherman - Near the confluence of the Mississippi and Rock Rivers

    Sorry I just had to do that

  8. Moosebear

    Moosebear New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 3, 2003
    Recumbent guru Carey Chen at the Urbane Cyclist in Toronto told me that Maxarya is working on a Big Wheel 'bent for 2004. That should be interesting.