Experience With Used Bikes - Is It Worth It?

Discussion in 'Bike buying advice' started by MingMeng, Jun 21, 2015.

1. MingMeng

MingMeng New Member

Okay, so I'm in a bit of a rut here.

I've been in the market for a used bike lately, since a new bike is a bit too expensive for me right now (the one's I've seen are literally half-priced compared to their new counter-parts) and my current bike, that of which I've had for eight years, is just starting to break down, and I'm not wanting to get all these repairs done.

So, in your experience have used bikes been reliable? I've bought used cars before, and they work for the first month or so, but afterward, you slowly begin to realize that it needs about a million repairs!

So, is it worth it?

Tags:

2. Uawadall

Uawadall Well-Known Member

I've been road biking for around a month and a half on a used bike that cost me $800 marked down from $1200.I've ridden it 3-5 times a week since I purchased it and it functions as good as new. Buy a used bike from a reliable bike shop or if you must purchase it elsewhere, have it serviced at a bike shop. Think about it this way, a new bike becomes "used" after 1 ride.

3. Froze

Froze Well-Known Member

Yes it's worth it if you know what you're looking at. I've bought 4 used bikes since being an adult and I still have them and they still work great. I did have another bike I bought used but sold that to a friend, but it too was a great bike. I've even found 2 bikes in dumpsters over the last 6 years and those too have been great bikes and I still have those. All the bikes I got used I never spent more than $100 a piece and I got good quality middle of the road vintage bikes. The dumpster bikes I had to put $80 into one of them the other I haven't gotten around to working on it but I'm estimating about $100 to $125 in parts; the $80 part bike runs great and no other money has been used on it. The other bikes I bought used other than typical items like seats, tires, tubes, cables, brake pads, lube job on everything, nothing, one of those bikes I use for touring that's how much I trust it! The others have no trust factors I just don't ride them much because I have a newer bike I ride mostly, but I do use an older 88 Miyata 712 I bought used back in mid 90's to commute on and think nothing of it breaking because it's older, because it's in great shape and I maintain my stuff.

So for me anyways I have no issues about buying a used bike and using it even for commuting. I do like I mentioned have a 2013 bike I ride on the weekends or summer because I do like to ride far and titanium is superior over any other frame material for comfort and that is important now that I'm 61!