Experiences with Glutamine and BCAAs?

trunks_cscs

Jul 15, 2004
I've been using 5 grams of glutamine and three BCAA capsules pre and again post ride and I've felt AWESOME! I did not take them today and that plus the mild dehydration I suffered all but killed my ride. I should also mention that I'm a type 1 diabetic. Has anybody else had similar experiences?

I have had some good experiences using glutamine as well. It does seem, however, that glutamine supplements do differ--even though the bottle of different brands may say they are the same. I have had some that seems to work very well, and other brands that do not work well at all. I usually only take it after a ride along with a sports drink or endurox.

By the way, I also have type 1 diabetes.

Jeff

Personally, I love Prolab supplements from my bodybuilding days and take mine mixed with 12-16 oz water. I drink a 15-30% instant iced tea solution during my ride as a carbohydrate supplement as it keeps my blood sugar levels WNL (within normal limits). I should also add that I'm an exercise physiologist doing my thesis on the lactate kinetics of a type 1 diabetic during high intensity cycling. I'm curious about this because my anaerobic and lactate thresholds normally fall at 130 and 176 bpm, respectively; but when my blood sugars are a little off, either slightly high or low, my threshold levels drop quiite significantly. I plan on finding out why.

I am 42yr old and 5' 10". Can you tell me what my anaerobic threshold and lactate threshold would be? I am considering the use of a Glutamine supplement, but am still checking what is available, and doing my homework on which product I should be using. I am non diabetic.

While I can not say what your anaerobic threshold (AT) is without performing a test in the laboratory, such as open-circuit spirometry, I can tell you that anaerobic threshold is the point at which you start using anaerobic metabolism for energy production. There will be a significant increase in blood lactate triggering a substantial increase in respiration in order to clear the CO2 and H2O from the disassociation (breakdown) of lactate. So, in short, the HR at which your breathing rate increases while performing at a steady workload and cadence is your approximate AT.

While this sounds like you are about to hit the wall, your fitness level will dictate what your lactate threshold (LT) is, hence your maximum lactate steady state (MLSS) and these are what will let you continue at high workloads. LT is where your body is creating lactic acid at a rate greater than it can use it for energy production and MLSS is the point where your body's clearance of lactic acid equals its creation. I hope I did not give you much more info than you need and confuse you but I felt it was necessary info to grasp an understanding.

As you find out more about this topic, please feel free to post updates as I would like to see what you come up with. I used to participate in competitive swimming as well(from age 5 to 19) and would notice significant differences in about EVERY activity the body needs to perform to function as blood sugars change, even by small amounts--especially when exercising. For instance I was able to notice that with my blood sugars under 110, I was able to perform far better than if it were over 150, and felt more comfortable doing any physical activity too, as if it were almost "easier." This is also still noticeable, though a little less so, these days on the bike. As I said, feel free to update us, or even just me, as you find out more.

Jeff

I have a shake powder suppliment that I take every day at least once, sometimes 2x a day. It has all of the bcaa's in it and I can drink it in water, juice or milk. I tried to take the pill suppliments, THEY ARE TOO BIG TO SWALLOW! I tried cutting them in half........don't do that! The pills have jagged edges that cut you all the way down your throat....IF you can get them down! P-A-I-N! So, the shake form was better.

Honestly, (I am going to sound like a stupid girl, now...I realize this) I don't know what the benefits of drinking a protein shake with the amino's are! I just do it because I was told it is essential to my "training".

I think the shake is called "Renew" at GNC? It tastes pretty good as far as chocolate shake mixes go.

Kim in TN

trekchic said:
I have a shake powder suppliment that I take every day at least once, sometimes 2x a day. It has all of the bcaa's in it and I can drink it in water, juice or milk. I tried to take the pill suppliments, THEY ARE TOO BIG TO SWALLOW! I tried cutting them in half........don't do that! The pills have jagged edges that cut you all the way down your throat....IF you can get them down! P-A-I-N! So, the shake form was better.

Honestly, (I am going to sound like a stupid girl, now...I realize this) I don't know what the benefits of drinking a protein shake with the amino's are! I just do it because I was told it is essential to my "training".

I think the shake is called "Renew" at GNC? It tastes pretty good as far as chocolate shake mixes go.

Kim in TN

Kim,

Protein, glutamine, and BCAA supplements aren't required and are marketing hype. It's carbohydrates post exercise (with maybe a small amount of protein e.g., ~ 10 g) that's important. Additionally, real food, is just as good as carb supplements. The only times i advise carb supplements post exercise are usually, e.g., after a race when real food may not be available, when fluid loss has been high (carb as a sports drink helps restore fluid and carb), or if you have GI discomfort post exercise.

ric