Road Cycling · Public discussion

Experiences with Halfords and Boardman Bikes

Started by Email address hidden · · Last activity · 2 posts · 925 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
7 February 2008
Last activity
7 February 2008
Original author
Email address hidden
Posts
2
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
925
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–2 of 2
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I would like to relate my recent experiences with Halfords and a
    Boardman bike I bought there.

    I joined a cycle to work scheme, and hence had a voucher (or Letter of
    Collection) from Halfords to purchase a bike from Halfords (and
    nowhere else). I was looking for a hybrid bike (to use for cycling to
    work) and found a limited range at a larger Halfords (in Charlton,
    London) where they sold a range endorsed by Chris Boardman, the
    hybrids ranging from £399 to £699.
    I purchased one of these using my letter of crdit and then the fun
    started!
    When I collected the bike I noticed that the gears had not been
    adjusted, but was able to fix this.
    Having ridden the bike to work once, I found that the crankset had not
    been secured properly to the bottom bracket, nor were the handle bars
    secure (this almost made me fall off!)
    I also noticed that the back wheel spokes were not all true.

    To cut a long and sorry story short, I found that the bicycle had not
    been properly assembled nor tested, and the results were dangerous. My
    first reaction was to return the bike, although the cycle to work
    scheme would prevent me going elsewhere to buy a different bike. My
    second thought was to go back to the shop and ask them to fix it, but
    given the lack of technical skills Halfords demonstrated and the waste
    of my time, I decided against this too, besides I'd just get angry
    with the useless monkeys. So I will forgoe the free 6 week checkup and
    go to a proper bike-shop to get them to fix the back wheel before it
    goes out of true instead.

    My advice to you, Mr Potential Bike purchaser is to give this bunch of
    useless and inept muppets at Halfords a wide berth, and take your
    custom to your local bike shop (perhaps by recommendation!) instead.

    NB the actual components on the CBoardman bike I bought are fine, just
    a shame that Halfords have anything to do with it.

    If I get angry enough (again) I may write to the esteemed Chris
    Boardman (MBE) to relay my experiences to him, for all the good it
    will do.

  2. Quoted message said:

    I would like to relate my recent experiences with Halfords and a
    Boardman bike I bought there.

    I joined a cycle to work scheme, and hence had a voucher (or Letter of
    Collection) from Halfords to purchase a bike from Halfords (and
    nowhere else). I was looking for a hybrid bike (to use for cycling to
    work) and found a limited range at a larger Halfords (in Charlton,
    London) where they sold a range endorsed by Chris Boardman, the
    hybrids ranging from £399 to £699.
    I purchased one of these using my letter of crdit and then the fun
    started!
    When I collected the bike I noticed that the gears had not been
    adjusted, but was able to fix this.
    Having ridden the bike to work once, I found that the crankset had not
    been secured properly to the bottom bracket, nor were the handle bars
    secure (this almost made me fall off!)
    I also noticed that the back wheel spokes were not all true.

    To cut a long and sorry story short, I found that the bicycle had not
    been properly assembled nor tested, and the results were dangerous. My
    first reaction was to return the bike, although the cycle to work
    scheme would prevent me going elsewhere to buy a different bike. My
    second thought was to go back to the shop and ask them to fix it, but
    given the lack of technical skills Halfords demonstrated and the waste
    of my time, I decided against this too, besides I'd just get angry
    with the useless monkeys. So I will forgoe the free 6 week checkup and
    go to a proper bike-shop to get them to fix the back wheel before it
    goes out of true instead.

    My advice to you, Mr Potential Bike purchaser is to give this bunch of
    useless and inept muppets at Halfords a wide berth, and take your
    custom to your local bike shop (perhaps by recommendation!) instead.

    NB the actual components on the CBoardman bike I bought are fine, just
    a shame that Halfords have anything to do with it.

    If I get angry enough (again) I may write to the esteemed Chris
    Boardman (MBE) to relay my experiences to him, for all the good it
    will do.

    In the US, the perpetrator is Walmart, and the products sold are
    referred to here on Usenet as BSO's. Bike Shaped Objects.

    Joseph

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.