Experiences with Halfords and Boardman Bikes

I would like to relate my recent experiences with Halfords and a
Boardman bike I bought there.

I joined a cycle to work scheme, and hence had a voucher (or Letter of
Collection) from Halfords to purchase a bike from Halfords (and
nowhere else). I was looking for a hybrid bike (to use for cycling to
work) and found a limited range at a larger Halfords (in Charlton,
London) where they sold a range endorsed by Chris Boardman, the
hybrids ranging from £399 to £699.
I purchased one of these using my letter of crdit and then the fun
started!
When I collected the bike I noticed that the gears had not been
adjusted, but was able to fix this.
Having ridden the bike to work once, I found that the crankset had not
been secured properly to the bottom bracket, nor were the handle bars
secure (this almost made me fall off!)
I also noticed that the back wheel spokes were not all true.

To cut a long and sorry story short, I found that the bicycle had not
been properly assembled nor tested, and the results were dangerous. My
first reaction was to return the bike, although the cycle to work
scheme would prevent me going elsewhere to buy a different bike. My
second thought was to go back to the shop and ask them to fix it, but
given the lack of technical skills Halfords demonstrated and the waste
of my time, I decided against this too, besides I'd just get angry
with the useless monkeys. So I will forgoe the free 6 week checkup and
go to a proper bike-shop to get them to fix the back wheel before it
goes out of true instead.

My advice to you, Mr Potential Bike purchaser is to give this bunch of
useless and inept muppets at Halfords a wide berth, and take your
custom to your local bike shop (perhaps by recommendation!) instead.

NB the actual components on the CBoardman bike I bought are fine, just
a shame that Halfords have anything to do with it.

If I get angry enough (again) I may write to the esteemed Chris
Boardman (MBE) to relay my experiences to him, for all the good it
will do.

On Feb 7, 12:44 pm, [email protected] wrote:
> I would like to relate my recent experiences with Halfords and a
> Boardman bike I bought there.
>
> I joined a cycle to work scheme, and hence had a voucher (or Letter of
> Collection) from Halfords to purchase a bike from Halfords (and
> nowhere else). I was looking for a hybrid bike (to use for cycling to
> work) and found a limited range at a larger Halfords (in Charlton,
> London) where they sold a range endorsed by Chris Boardman, the
> hybrids ranging from £399 to £699.
> I purchased one of these using my letter of crdit and then the fun
> started!
> When I collected the bike I noticed that the gears had not been
> adjusted, but was able to fix this.
> Having ridden the bike to work once, I found that the crankset had not
> been secured properly to the bottom bracket, nor were the handle bars
> secure (this almost made me fall off!)
> I also noticed that the back wheel spokes were not all true.
>
> To cut a long and sorry story short, I found that the bicycle had not
> been properly assembled nor tested, and the results were dangerous. My
> first reaction was to return the bike, although the cycle to work
> scheme would prevent me going elsewhere to buy a different bike. My
> second thought was to go back to the shop and ask them to fix it, but
> given the lack of technical skills Halfords demonstrated and the waste
> of my time, I decided against this too, besides I'd just get angry
> with the useless monkeys. So I will forgoe the free 6 week checkup and
> go to a proper bike-shop to get them to fix the back wheel before it
> goes out of true instead.
>
> My advice to you, Mr Potential Bike purchaser is to give this bunch of
> useless and inept muppets at Halfords a wide berth, and take your
> custom to your local bike shop (perhaps by recommendation!) instead.
>
> NB the actual components on the CBoardman bike I bought are fine, just
> a shame that Halfords have anything to do with it.
>
> If I get angry enough (again) I may write to the esteemed Chris
> Boardman (MBE) to relay my experiences to him, for all the good it
> will do.

In the US, the perpetrator is Walmart, and the products sold are
referred to here on Usenet as BSO's. Bike Shaped Objects.

Joseph