Experiences with Tom Teesdale???

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Mike C., Sep 6, 2004.

  1. Mike C.

    Mike C. Guest

    Hello All,

    I'm deciding on whether to have Tom Teesdale custom build a Greenspeed style
    recumbent trike for me or not. I have read some negative postings on this
    and other newsgroups about him, mostly about bad paint jobs and poor
    customer service.

    I'd appreciate some input, both positive and negative, from those of you who
    have purchased stuff from him.

    Thanks,
    Mike C.

    Please remove the NOSPAM from the e-mail address to correspond with me

    Tags:

  2. JA

    JA Guest

    Tom has built a lot of bikes, and when I have dealt with him he has been
    very professional.

    John

    "Mike C." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:3B6%[email protected]
    > Hello All,
    >
    > I'm deciding on whether to have Tom Teesdale custom build a Greenspeed

    style
    > recumbent trike for me or not. I have read some negative postings on this
    > and other newsgroups about him, mostly about bad paint jobs and poor
    > customer service.
    >
    > I'd appreciate some input, both positive and negative, from those of you

    who
    > have purchased stuff from him.
    >

    > Thanks,
    > Mike C.
    >
    > Please remove the NOSPAM from the e-mail address to correspond with me

  3. Frank

    Frank Guest

    Tom built an 853 road frame and fork for me about 5 years ago. He was very
    good about working with me on the size and measurements and we exchanged
    many, many e-mails before I made the decision to buy.

    Tom sent me CAD drawings of the frame and fork for my final approval before
    he started working on it. I discussed with him my concern about the paint
    and he offered to sell the frame and fork bare or to paint it for me. I
    looked through a Dupont Imron book and chose to have him paint it a metallic
    Sherwood Green.

    The bike arrived just as ordered and rode and looked great. I rode it for
    many miles before selling it (like I seem to do with all of them
    eventually!) to a girl whose dad was looking to get her a bike for
    Christmas.

    As you noted, there are postings about the negative experiences with
    Teesdale but mine was positive throughout.

    Frank

    "Mike C." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:3B6%[email protected]
    > Hello All,
    >
    > I'm deciding on whether to have Tom Teesdale custom build a Greenspeed

    style
    > recumbent trike for me or not. I have read some negative postings on this
    > and other newsgroups about him, mostly about bad paint jobs and poor
    > customer service.
    >
    > I'd appreciate some input, both positive and negative, from those of you

    who
    > have purchased stuff from him.
    >

    > Thanks,
    > Mike C.
    >
    > Please remove the NOSPAM from the e-mail address to correspond with me

  4. I have not seen any negative feedback concerning TET. My wife and I are
    looking into getting a tandem trike so we can ride together. Any thoughts
    on Mr. Teesdale's trike offerings? I checked out his website but was unable
    to figure out what he charges for a complete trike.

    Regards,
    Robert

    > Tom built an 853 road frame and fork for me about 5 years ago. He was very
    > good about working with me on the size and measurements and we exchanged
    > many, many e-mails before I made the decision to buy.
    >
    > Tom sent me CAD drawings of the frame and fork for my final approval

    before
    > he started working on it. I discussed with him my concern about the paint
    > and he offered to sell the frame and fork bare or to paint it for me. I
    > looked through a Dupont Imron book and chose to have him paint it a

    metallic
    > Sherwood Green.
    >
    > The bike arrived just as ordered and rode and looked great. I rode it for
    > many miles before selling it (like I seem to do with all of them
    > eventually!) to a girl whose dad was looking to get her a bike for
    > Christmas.
    >
    > As you noted, there are postings about the negative experiences with
    > Teesdale but mine was positive throughout.
    >
    > Frank
    >
    > "Mike C." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:3B6%[email protected]
    > > Hello All,
    > >
    > > I'm deciding on whether to have Tom Teesdale custom build a Greenspeed

    > style
    > > recumbent trike for me or not. I have read some negative postings on

    this
    > > and other newsgroups about him, mostly about bad paint jobs and poor
    > > customer service.
    > >
    > > I'd appreciate some input, both positive and negative, from those of you

    > who
    > > have purchased stuff from him.
    > >

    > > Thanks,
    > > Mike C.
    > >
    > > Please remove the NOSPAM from the e-mail address to correspond with me

  5. Tim McNamara

    Tim McNamara Guest

    Tom Teesdale has been the target of a lot of complaints in the
    newsgroups, and has had a fair number of defenders who have had
    positive experiences with him. A Google search of rec.bicycles.*
    would uncover both. I haven't heard anything one way or the other in
    quite a while.

  6. patrick

    patrick Guest

    i have bought 3 bikes from tom - all exactly as
    described and delivered timely. great rides. the
    rear entry ritchey dropouts were the bomb on the
    crit bike with bent seat tubes. plus, he built me
    a custom cx bike... very very nice...

    the paint is not perfect.. but the price was very
    competitive with mass produced bikes of lesser
    quality. the only 'bad' thing was that the
    paint does appear to chip more then on other
    bikes i have owned. no clue why.

    yes, the very very specific caad diagrams were a
    treat and allowed me to customize what i wanted to
    do (ie; the cross bike was a mix of road and mtb
    tubesets... stiffer stays and gentle main triangle
    for comfort.

    tom is a very cool dude and would surely welcome
    a discussion (including about pricing.. for those
    of you who commented it is not on his web - just
    send him an email?)

    yes. I'd like a richard sachs.. or another chris
    kelly cx bike.. or a ... oh the list goes on...
    but truth be told, for the money, i'd surely give
    tom another order in a heartbeat.

    patrick

    "Mike C." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<3B6%[email protected]>...
    > Hello All,
    >
    > I'm deciding on whether to have Tom Teesdale custom build a Greenspeed style
    > recumbent trike for me or not. I have read some negative postings on this
    > and other newsgroups about him, mostly about bad paint jobs and poor
    > customer service.
    >
    > I'd appreciate some input, both positive and negative, from those of you who
    > have purchased stuff from him.
    >

    > Thanks,
    > Mike C.
    >
    > Please remove the NOSPAM from the e-mail address to correspond with me

  7. > Tom Teesdale has been the target of a lot of complaints in the
    > newsgroups, and has had a fair number of defenders who have had
    > positive experiences with him. A Google search of rec.bicycles.*
    > would uncover both. I haven't heard anything one way or the other in
    > quite a while.

    I know what it is to have competitors on the attack in newsgroups.
    Hopefully his business is better than what some say or at least as good as
    what others say. I've contacted him for information on a tandem trike I'm
    interested in having built.

    On that note, I wonder if anyone has some advice for me on what frame
    material and components to request. Much as I love riding, I confess I've
    little knowledge of the merits of various makes and models.

    Regards,
    Robert L Bass

    =============================>
    Bass Home Electronics
    2291 Pine View Circle
    Sarasota · Florida · 34231
    877-722-8900 Sales & Tech Support
    http://www.bassburglaralarms.com
    =============================>

  8. > i have bought 3 bikes from tom - all exactly as
    > described and delivered timely. great rides...

    That's encouraging.

    > the rear entry ritchey dropouts were the bomb
    > on the crit bike with bent seat tubes. plus, he
    > built me a custom cx bike... very very nice...

    Huh? Forgive my ignorance but what are those?

    > the paint is not perfect.. but the price was very
    > competitive with mass produced bikes of lesser
    > quality. the only 'bad' thing was that the
    > paint does appear to chip more then on other
    > bikes i have owned. no clue why.

    I can deal with that if a bottle of touch-up is supplied with the trike.

    > yes, the very very specific caad diagrams were a
    > treat and allowed me to customize what i wanted
    > to do (ie; the cross bike was a mix of road and
    > mtb tubesets... stiffer stays and gentle main triangle
    > for comfort.

    Speaking of frame tubes... I *think* I ought to get something without
    suspension. On the RANS Vivo I always feel as though I'm spending a lot of
    energy compressing the shocks instead of turning the wheels. OTOH, I'm not
    100% sure this is the best idea. Will a non-suspended trike ride so roughly
    as to tire my hands after a few dozen miles? Or will it not make much
    difference?

    Also, although I like the speed of my RANS bike I don't like holding my arms
    out in front of me all day on long rides. Do you know if Tom makes a USS
    trike? If so, any thoughts on this would also be appreciated.

    > tom is a very cool dude and would surely welcome
    > a discussion (including about pricing.. for those
    > of you who commented it is not on his web - just
    > send him an email?)

    I'm waiting for his reply to my initial contact. I'll let you know how
    things go.

    > yes. I'd like a richard sachs.. or another chris
    > kelly cx bike.. or a ... oh the list goes on...
    > but truth be told, for the money, i'd surely give
    > tom another order in a heartbeat.

    Thanks for the feedback.

    Regards,
    Robert L Bass

    =============================>
    Bass Home Electronics
    2291 Pine View Circle
    Sarasota · Florida · 34231
    877-722-8900 Sales & Tech Support
    http://www.bassburglaralarms.com
    =============================>

  9. David Kerber

    David Kerber Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...
    > > i have bought 3 bikes from tom - all exactly as
    > > described and delivered timely. great rides...

    > That's encouraging.
    >
    > > the rear entry ritchey dropouts were the bomb
    > > on the crit bike with bent seat tubes. plus, he
    > > built me a custom cx bike... very very nice...

    > Huh? Forgive my ignorance but what are those?

    "crit" = "Criterium" (city street racing), "cx" = "cyclocross".

    newsgroups if possible).

  10. David Kerber

    David Kerber Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...
    > > i have bought 3 bikes from tom - all exactly as
    > > described and delivered timely. great rides...

    > That's encouraging.
    >
    > > the rear entry ritchey dropouts were the bomb
    > > on the crit bike with bent seat tubes. plus, he
    > > built me a custom cx bike... very very nice...

    > Huh? Forgive my ignorance but what are those?

    "crit" = "Criterium" (city street racing), "cx" = "cyclocross".

    newsgroups if possible).

  11. I have some limited experience with Tom. I was considering a custom bike
    for my wife and I got in touch with Tom. He was very helpful and sent the
    cool diagrams for me to review. He also answered all of my questions in a
    timely fashion. His price was also very attractive. If I was goind custom
    on a budget, I would definitely consider buying from him.
    -------------
    Alex

  12. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected]
    says...

    >On that note, I wonder if anyone has some advice for me on what frame
    >material and components to request. Much as I love riding, I confess I've
    >little knowledge of the merits of various makes and models.

    I would let Tom pick the material that would work best for the trike
    you want. That way he can pick the material that best suits the design.
    -----------------
    Alex

  13. > > Huh? Forgive my ignorance but what are those?

    > "crit" = "Criterium" (city street racing), "cx" = "cyclocross".

    Thanks.

  14. > >On that note, I wonder if anyone has some advice for me on what frame
    > >material and components to request. Much as I love riding, I confess

    I've
    > >little knowledge of the merits of various makes and models.

    > I would let Tom pick the material that would work best for the trike
    > you want. That way he can pick the material that best suits the design.

    Ah, yes. Good point. Thanks.

    Regards,
    Robert