Experimental Treatment for Liver Cancer (inoperable)?

Thomas T. Veldh

Guest
Hello.

I have just learned of my Father's terminal case of
inoperable liver cancer. It is a secondary cancer that
spread from a previously treated case of rectal cancer.
Apparently, the doctor did not get the cancer before it
metasticized (sp?). The tumor is deep inside the liver
and he was told it was inoperable. He was also told of
new cancer in three lymph nodes near the site of the
original cancer.

What I am wondering is if there is any resource where I
might investigate the use of various treatments, but in
particular, if it was possible to find resources on
experimental treatments. I would like to do the research
whether he would be a likely candidate for such a program or
not. Essentially, I need the ability to brainstorm and knock
off options later. I just can't possibly believe that their
isn't something that just might offer some benefit, even if
it is to only extend his life a couple of years with
relative peace.

Thank you in advance for any assistance you might be able
to provide.

--

Thomas T. Veldhouse Key Fingerprint: 2DB9 813F F510 82C2
E1AE 34D0 D69D 1EDC D5EC AED1

"Thomas T. Veldhouse" wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I have just learned of my Father's terminal case of
> inoperable liver cancer. It is a secondary cancer that
> spread from a previously treated case of rectal cancer.
> Apparently, the doctor did not get the cancer before it
> metasticized (sp?). The tumor is deep inside the liver
> and he was told it was inoperable. He was also told of
> new cancer in three lymph nodes near the site of the
> original cancer.
>
> What I am wondering is if there is any resource where I
> might investigate the use of various treatments, but in
> particular, if it was possible to find resources on
> experimental treatments. I would like to do the research
> whether he would be a likely candidate for such a program
> or not. Essentially, I need the ability to brainstorm and
> knock off options later. I just can't possibly believe
> that their isn't something that just might offer some
> benefit, even if it is to only extend his life a couple of
> years with relative peace.
>
> Thank you in advance for any assistance you might be able
> to provide.

Hi Thomas, I think there's a lot of missing information.
Age, date of surgery, did they sample, remove or view the
"affected" lymph nodes. If remove, when? Size of tumour?
Near or on an artery or blood vessel of some type? Other
known health issues, did he have chemo ? I f so, which? W
hat was his Karnofsky performance during treatment. How is
he now? Is he symptomatic? Date of initial diagnosis vs date
of metastasis..probably more, but I forget now.

I did look at chemoembolism and weighed that against another
(probably) younger man who started treatnents July/03, had 3
month hospitalization earlier this year, has only achieved
reduction of half the size of the tumour and here we are in
June and his "wound" has still not healed. Not to mention
that it's a different type of liver tumour and no lymph
nodes involved.

I could be wrong, but if an oncologist has suggested there
is nothing more to be done, than I would think it's unlikely
you'll find anything that would buy him more than a few
months more and may be risky to end his life earlier.

I'm not sure where the doctors are, so try to fill in the
blanks and hopefully one will be by soon to reply.

J - not an expert

In article <[email protected]>,
"Thomas T. Veldhouse" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I have just learned of my Father's terminal case of
> inoperable liver cancer. It is a secondary cancer that
> spread from a previously treated case of rectal cancer.
> Apparently, the doctor did not get the cancer before it
> metasticized (sp?). The tumor is deep inside the liver
> and he was told it was inoperable. He was also told of
> new cancer in three lymph nodes near the site of the
> original cancer.
>
> What I am wondering is if there is any resource where I
> might investigate the use of various treatments, but in
> particular, if it was possible to find resources on
> experimental treatments. I would like to do the research
> whether he would be a likely candidate for such a program
> or not. Essentially, I need the ability to brainstorm and
> knock off options later. I just can't possibly believe
> that their isn't something that just might offer some
> benefit, even if it is to only extend his life a couple of
> years with relative peace.
>
> Thank you in advance for any assistance you might be able
> to provide.

Who told your father the tumor is inoperable? The medical
oncologist or the surgeon? Personally, I would *strongly*
recommend having your father see a surgical oncologist who
specializes in hepatobiliary surgery and get another
opinion. Although I'm not a hepatobiliary surgeon, I have
observed that, in the tertiary care centers I've worked thus
far, a significant minority of patients referred to our
oncologists with "inoperable" liver metastases turn out not
to be so inoperable after all.

As you may know by now, surgery is the only modality that
has a chance of producing long-term survival for patients
with isolated liver metastases from colorectal cancer.
True, it's only around a 30% chance at best, but if it were
me I'd definitely go for it if possible. No other modality
produces a five year survival that is anywhere even close
to that. If liver metastases from colorectal cancer can be
resected safely and completely, in general they usually
should be. Contraindications to liver resection for
colorectal cancer metastases include disease outside the
liver (which means it is important to find out if those
lymph nodes truly have tumor in them--a PET scan may be
helpful there), metastases in both major lobes of the liver
(although sometimes this can be gotten around, depending on
the exact location of the metastases), number of metastases
(the exact number is controversial, but usually more than
four is the cutoff), location of metastases (for instance,
involving certain major liver blood vessels) and liver
dysfunction severe enough that the patient would go into
liver failure if the amount of liver necessary to get the
tumor(s) out were removed.

Hope this helps, and good luck. Even if the tumor is
inoperable, there are several palliative measures that might
improve survival somewhat and improve quality of life,
including radiofrequency ablation of the tumors and/or
chemotherapy.

|"If you cannot listen to the answers, why do
|you inconvenience me with questions?"

>Subject: Experimental Treatment for Liver Cancer (inoperable)?
>From: "Thomas T. Veldhouse" [email protected]
>Date: 6/17/2004 1:53 PM Mountain Daylight Time
>
>Hello.
>
>I have just learned of my Father's terminal case of
>inoperable liver cancer. It is a secondary cancer that
>spread from a previously treated case of rectal cancer.
>Apparently, the doctor did not get the cancer before it
>metasticized (sp?). The tumor is deep inside the liver
>and he was told it was inoperable. He was also told of
>new cancer in three lymph nodes near the site of the
>original cancer.
>
>What I am wondering is if there is any resource where I
>might investigate the use of various treatments, but in
>particular, if it was possible to find resources on
>experimental treatments. I would like to do the research
>whether he would be a likely candidate for such a program
>or not. Essentially, I need the ability to brainstorm and
>knock off options later. I just can't possibly believe that
>their isn't something that just might offer some benefit,
>even if it is to only extend his life a couple of years
>with relative peace.
>
>Thank you in advance for any assistance you might be able
>to provide.
>
>--
>
>Thomas T. Veldhouse Key Fingerprint: 2DB9 813F F510 82C2
>E1AE 34D0 D69D 1EDC D5EC AED1

http://herbivore.7h.com/cancerpost.html

The study below confirms .. it seems the url .. above ..

It speaks to the recommendation of trials TARGETING the
.. iron ..

J Neurooncol. 2004 May;67(3):367-77. Related Articles, Links

Desferoxamine (DFO)--mediated iron chelation: rationale for
a novel approach to therapy for brain cancer.

Dayani PN, Bishop MC, Black K, Zeltzer PM.

Northwestern University Medical School, Chicago, IL, USA.

Iron homeostasis is crucial to normal cell metabolism, and
its deficiency or excess is associated with numerous disease
states. The association of increased iron load with cancer
may be due to several factors including free radical
production, reduction of the body's protective mechanism to
combat oxidative stress, inhibition of immune systems,
inhibition of essential nutrient functions, facilitation of
cancer growth, suppression of antitumor actions of
macrophages, and lowering of the ratio of T4-T8 positive
lymphocytes. Antiproliferative effects of desferoxamine
(DFO) both in vitro and in vivo are mediated by an
intracellular pool of iron that is necessary for DNA
synthesis rather than prevention of iron uptake from
transferrin. Several clinical studies have shown it to have
antitumor activity in the treatment of neuroblastoma,
leukemia, bladder carcinoma, and hepatocellular carcinoma.
Human neural tumor cells are susceptible to the effects of
DFO. Continued study of DFO is necessary to further
elucidate its antineoplastic profile and its use as an
adjunct to current chemotherapy regimens. Given the lack of
satisfactory treatment of central nervous system neoplasms,
DFO could serve as an important tool in the management of
such cancers.

PMID: 15164994 [PubMed - in process]

--------------
------

Who loves ya. Tom

Jesus Was A Vegetarian! http://jesuswasavegetarian.7h.com
Man Is A Herbivore!
http://pages.ivillage.com/ironjustice/manisaherbivore DEAD
PEOPLE WALKING

"Orac" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:eek:[email protected]...
> In article
> <[email protected]>,
> "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Hello.
> >
> > I have just learned of my Father's terminal case of
> > inoperable liver cancer. It is a secondary cancer that
> > spread from a previously treated case of rectal cancer.
> > Apparently, the doctor did not get the cancer before it
> > metasticized (sp?). The tumor is deep inside the liver
> > and he was told it was inoperable. He was also told of
> > new cancer in three lymph nodes near the site of the
> > original cancer.
> >
> > What I am wondering is if there is any resource where I
> > might investigate the use of various treatments, but in
> > particular, if it was possible to find resources on
> > experimental treatments. I would like to do the research
> > whether he would be a likely candidate for such a
> > program or not. Essentially, I need the ability to
> > brainstorm and knock off options later. I just can't
> > possibly believe that their isn't something that just
> > might offer some benefit, even if it is to only extend
> > his life a couple of years with relative peace.
> >
> > Thank you in advance for any assistance you might be
> > able to provide.
>
> Who told your father the tumor is inoperable? The medical
> oncologist or the surgeon? Personally, I would *strongly*
> recommend having your father see a surgical oncologist who
> specializes in hepatobiliary surgery and get another
> opinion. Although I'm not a hepatobiliary surgeon, I have
> observed that, in the tertiary care centers I've worked
> thus far, a significant minority of patients referred to
> our oncologists with "inoperable" liver metastases turn
> out not to be so inoperable after all.

Don't get too carried away, Orac. About 15% of patients with
liver mets are technically suitable for "curative" surgery,
and about 15% are alive at 5 years. 15% of 15% is
2%............

J <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hi Thomas, I think there's a lot of missing information.
> Age, date of surgery, did they sample, remove or view the
> "affected" lymph nodes.

Age 56. He had his original surgery in December of 2002
(diagnosed in July 2002 ... 6+ weeks before any treatment,
then chemo/radiation, 30 days healing and then surgery).

There is currently no plan to do any surgery as he is not in
any pain (the Doctor found this amazing). The lymph nodes
have not been removed, but they are VERY near the original
site of cancer (rectum) in his pelvis. The tumor in his
liver is apparently in the center and deep, near the artery.
I have not been told in particular why they consider it
inoperable, so perhaps there is some other liver damage I am
not aware of but can only guess at. He has bleeding ulcers
in his stomach and esophagus (benign) that are causing him
to become anemic, and that my be one of the reasons they
have chosen not to operate (so far). I suspect also, that
the cancer is far along (there is now a lump on his upper
right abdomen) from the tumor in his liver.

> If remove, when? Size of tumour? Near or on an artery or
> blood vessel of some type? Other known health issues, did
> he have chemo ? I f so, which? W hat was his Karnofsky
> performance during treatment. How is he now? Is he
> symptomatic? Date of initial diagnosis vs date of
> metastasis..probably more, but I forget now.

I answered some of this above. Other health issues, he has
typical vices.

I am not sure what Karnofsky performance is, but they
believed he had better than a 90% chance at complete
recovery.

> I did look at chemoembolism and weighed that against
> another (probably) younger man who started treatnents
> July/03, had 3 month hospitalization earlier this year,
> has only achieved reduction of half the size of the tumour
> and here we are in June and his "wound" has still not
> healed. Not to mention that it's a different type of liver
> tumour and no lymph nodes involved.
>
> I could be wrong, but if an oncologist has suggested there
> is nothing more to be done, than I would think it's
> unlikely you'll find anything that would buy him more than
> a few months more and may be risky to end his life
> earlier.

His goal is quality of life rather than length at this
point. However, he has resisted amazing issues in his life
(a survivor of malignant hyperthermia @ 109.5F temp ... no
kidding). I just want to know what there is to know, I don't
honestly believe I will find anything that will help, but I
don't want that to be because I didn't look. Even if I can't
find something to aid him, I might be able to get involved
somewhere to help others with cancer, and further, such help
may reward me someday (Grandfather and his siblings,
Grandmother and now my Father have all had cancer).

--

Steph <[email protected]> wrote:
> Don't get too carried away, Orac. About 15% of patients
> with liver mets are technically suitable for "curative"
> surgery, and about 15% are alive at 5 years. 15% of 15% is
> 2%............

Honestly, that is alright. I am just looking for options
with an open mind. We can explore the feasibility of each
option after we know what they are. That was exactly the
information I was looking for. I am also looking for
anything more that people can provider ... again, as the
subject suggests, perhaps an experimental treatment
(nevermind qualifying for the treatment ... that is a
followup issue). I am looking at this as part of an attempt
at brainstorming any solutions, whether real, possible,
unlikely or pure fantasy.

All, thanks for the help so far.

--

"Thomas T. Veldhouse" wrote:

> Age 56. He had his original surgery in December of 2002
> (diagnosed in July 2002 ... 6+ weeks before any treatment,
> then chemo/radiation, 30 days healing and then surgery).
>
> There is currently no plan to do any surgery as he is not
> in any pain (the Doctor found this amazing). The lymph
> nodes have not been removed, but they are VERY near the
> original site of cancer (rectum) in his pelvis. The tumor
> in his liver is apparently in the center and deep, near
> the artery. I have not been told in particular why they
> consider it inoperable, so perhaps there is some other
> liver damage I am not aware of but can only guess at. He
> has bleeding ulcers in his stomach and esophagus (benign)
> that are causing him to become anemic, and that my be one
> of the reasons they have chosen not to operate (so far).
> I suspect also, that the cancer is far along (there is
> now a lump on his upper right abdomen) from the tumor in
> his liver.
>
> I answered some of this above. Other health issues, he has
> typical vices.
>
> I am not sure what Karnofsky performance is, but they
> believed he had better than a 90% chance at complete
> recovery. His goal is quality of life rather than length
> at this point. However, he has resisted amazing issues in
> his life (a survivor of malignant hyperthermia @ 109.5F
> temp ... no kidding). I just want to know what there is to
> know, I don't honestly believe I will find anything that
> will help, but I don't want that to be because I didn't
> look. Even if I can't find something to aid him, I might
> be able to get involved somewhere to help others with
> cancer, and further, such help may reward me someday
> (Grandfather and his siblings, Grandmother and now my
> Father have all had cancer).

Hi Thomas, The alt.support.cancer newsgroup could use a
realist like you or even here. Once your've worked out
what's going to happen with your Dad, perhaps you'll join
the other newsgroup or we can be there for you also if he
decides no treatments at all, or during the surgery, if
applicable and/or during the dying process. What we don't
like to get into (much) is this "alternative" thing because
it can sometimes lead to quackcures, and then the "riff-
raff" of Usenet come in hawking their false hopes and trying
to sell. I use that term "sell" loosely, some actually
believe what they're "hawking" and think they're passing on
good information to others there. Others stand to gain by
"selling".

I've only encountered one other person on newsgroup with MH
and he was a brain cancer patient. He recovered too but I
don't recall his temperature going as high as your Dad's.
Not to say that others aren't out there. Since Malignant
Hyperthermia (MH) is an inherited muscle condition,
hopefully you wear a warning bracelet too. I expect most
anesthiologists now have dantrolene at the ready.

As an aside I was just reading here http://www.cancerbacup-
.org.uk/Cancertype/Liver/Primarylivercancer Please note
that it's for primary liver cancer, not mets. It also
mentions that the liver is a heat-producing organ. It also
mentions that the liver can continue functioning even if a
little functions and it's capacity to repair itself. (which
also makes me wonder if some of your Dad's liver and/or
tumor is removed, if the rest of the liver still has cancer
in it, only to see it roar back up again in what's left of
his liver?)

Since you mention "typical vices", that leaves us not
knowing how much is cirrhotic.(damaged) It's all degrees, I
guess of drinking and cirrhosis..

It also mentions that if a bile duct gets blocked, jaundice
and vomiting can occur. So that leaves us where? Knowing at
the moment that if your Dad's tumor is deep and projecting
out enough to be seen, it's fairly sizeable. It doesn't tell
us how much of the liver is "cancer involved" nor exactly
how much of the liver is still functioning. If I recall
correctly the liver does not feel pain. It's when a tumor
starts pressing on nearby organs or nerves (I think).

Since it's also in the lymph nodes, we can (I think) with
certainty know that it's elsewhere in the body. (these are
all random thoughts that are coming to me, so bear with me).
We've had others here (albeit much older) who've described
this tumor projecting out and it has come to pass that
they've only had a few months left (no matter what they did
or did not do). Is that the case for your Dad?, I do not
know. Some left saying they might try Gemzar (if I recall).
<http://www.cancerbacup.org.uk/Treatments/Chemotherapy/Indi-
vidualchemotherapydrugs/Gemcitabine>

That sounds to me (non-surgeon) quite an extensive and long
surgery, partly due to where the lymph nodes are located.
Since the lymph nodes near the original site of the cancer
are involved, it's possible when opening him up ,to discover
that other organs nearby are involved. (the "surprise"
factor). We also don't know how many lymph nodes would be
removed, possibly others in the same area or higher up?

The person I mentioned who went for chemobolization is a
primary (different) type of tumour. Having "been through" it
with that person's wife, post by post, month by month, I
honestly don't think it would serve your Dad well. Why?
because of the severity of the treatment and it wouldn't
stop the mets elsewhere (lymph nodes). Probably ditto for
cryosurgery mentioned on the above website.

There are lists of other treatments here
http://www.cancer.org/docroot/ETO/ETO_1.asp I believe the
immunotherapy takes quite a while to grow and develop the
vaccine (not to mention expense). It's a process and it's my
understanding that they sometimes just don't find the right
vaccine for the specific cancer. Thern there's
Antiangiogenesis Therapy (I think Avastin is one_. My
understanding is it affects the blood supply to a tumor, but
I don't think it does much of anything for lymph nodes where
the cancer is spreading to/by).

Anemia can cause breathing problems. I suppose some blood
loss during surgery could exacerbate this. The other patient
I mentioned did not have surgery but was still bleeding 5
months after the start of his chemoembolization. IIRC he's
only just starting to get his energy back.

You mention vices (smoking?), can perhaps affect healing of
wounds. Other questions: How close or involved are important
blood vessels in the liver? How would his previous surgery
complicate another surgery ? (where they can or cannot cut)

If you want to definitely rule out surgery, perhaps Orac's
idea is a good one. Who knows, maybe the right surgeon can
buy him some good quality time. I would take my father and
copies of any scans and ask the surgeon to review the
situation and perhaps even mark up on his body where he
would cut and ask about any difficulties he might perceive.
Some do this by contacting a hospital/doctor and sending the
records along first. I would hope that surgeons won't just
say "sure okay, whatever you wish"....they would not do this
in Canada, they'd be totally honest.

As a more perhaps personal note, I'm devastated to learn
your father's age. I would have quite a bit of difficulty
accepting there was nothing more to be done. My Dad died
4? years ago in his 70's, it was easier to accept given
the rough life/health he'd had. That being said (this is
me, personal), and knowing some about metatastic cancer
involving the liver, I don't think I'd want my Dad to go
through anything I've posted about above. (except perhaps
a second opinion from a doctor who has treated (or
declined treatment) in such patients, such as Steph. The
only treatment I would recommend to my Dad were if he was
having pain from the tumour - palliative radiation therapy
(if someone like Steph suggested it would do more good
than bad).

I hope this post isn't coming across too negative for you.
I've tried to be fair and consider all that I know about or
can think about. Then flipped that to think about what I
would do/recommend if it was my Mom or Dad. However, I'm
biased having known most of their other health problems and
their views about aggressive treatments and quality of life
issues and issues like how they hated the possibility of
giving up independent living (for possible long term
hospital stays etc) or if complications occur.

Maybe some of what I posted will help you make a list of
pros and cons of each idea/ treatment? Keep posting if it
helps you brainstorm. If I can think of other ideas or
questions to ask, I'll certainly toss them in here for your
consideration or list(s). I'll be here reading regardless if
I can contribute or not.

This is all FWIW (for what it's worth). J

In article <bhsAc.798587$Ig.101739@pd7tw2no>,
"Steph" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Orac" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:eek:rac-
> [email protected]...
> > In article <[email protected]
> > ctanews.com>, "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <[email protected]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Hello.
> > >
> > > I have just learned of my Father's terminal case of
> > > inoperable liver cancer. It is a secondary cancer that
> > > spread from a previously treated case of rectal
> > > cancer. Apparently, the doctor did not get the cancer
> > > before it metasticized (sp?). The tumor is deep inside
> > > the liver and he was told it was inoperable. He was
> > > also told of new cancer in three lymph nodes near the
> > > site of the original cancer.
> > >
> > > What I am wondering is if there is any resource where
> > > I might investigate the use of various treatments, but
> > > in particular, if it was possible to find resources on
> > > experimental treatments. I would like to do the
> > > research whether he would be a likely candidate for
> > > such a program or not. Essentially, I need the ability
> > > to brainstorm and knock off options later. I just
> > > can't possibly believe that their isn't something that
> > > just might offer some benefit, even if it is to only
> > > extend his life a couple of years with relative peace.
> > >
> > > Thank you in advance for any assistance you might be
> > > able to provide.
> >
> > Who told your father the tumor is inoperable? The
> > medical oncologist or the surgeon? Personally, I would
> > *strongly* recommend having your father see a surgical
> > oncologist who specializes in hepatobiliary surgery
> > and get another opinion. Although I'm not a
> > hepatobiliary surgeon, I have observed that, in the
> > tertiary care centers I've worked thus far, a
> > significant minority of patients referred to our
> > oncologists with "inoperable" liver metastases turn
> > out not to be so inoperable after all.
> >

> Don't get too carried away, Orac. About 15% of patients
> with liver mets are technically suitable for "curative"
> surgery,

Perhaps, but you missed or ignored my point, which is that
patients with liver metastases from colorectal cancer are
sometimes told that they are not candidates for curative
surgery, when in fact, in the hands of an experienced liver
surgeon, they are.

>and about 15% are alive at 5 years. 15% of 15% is
>2%............

Apples and oranges, Steph. Again, my point was simply that,
before a patient with liver metastases from colorectal
cancer is declared "inoperable," if at all possible he/she
should be seen by a qualified surgical oncologist who
specializes in liver resections. (The only exceptions are if
the patient has obvious extrahepatic disease or has more
than five metastases--although, I would point out that there
is evidence that long-term survival is possible after
resecting as many as 9 metasases, if technically possible.)
My colleagues who do this type of surgery have told me of a
number of cases they have seen in which the patient was
inappropriately declared inoperable and told they needed
chemotherapy, when they were, in fact, potentially operable.

Second, five year survival for hepatic metastases for
colorectal cancer at centers experienced in such surgery is
at least 20-30%, not 15%. (Indeed, I have seen papers
claiming survival of close to 40%, although I find those
hard to believe.) I can cite a number of papers if you wish.

Finally, in your zeal to downplay the effectiveness of
surgery, you are lumping the patients who are not candidates
for surgery with those who are. Yes, it is only a relative
minority of patients with liver metastases who are
candidates for surgery, and for those who are not candidates
for surgery the prognosis is extremely dismal. Indeed, the
prognosis ain't so hot even for those who are resectable
with negative margins, but for them no other therapy even
comes close to the efficacy of surgery in giving a chance at
long term survival. Anyone who might have even a slight
chance of being resectable should be evaluated by an
appropriate surgeon, because if they are resectable it could
mean the difference between a 20-30% chance of surviving 5
years and a near-zero chance.

|"If you cannot listen to the answers, why do
|you inconvenience me with questions?"

"Orac" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:eek:[email protected]...
> In article <bhsAc.798587$Ig.101739@pd7tw2no>,
> "Steph" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > "Orac" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:eek:rac-
> > [email protected]...
> > > In article <[email protected]
> > > .octanews.com>, "Thomas T. Veldhouse"

treated
cancer
and he

was
knock

provide.

> > > Who told your father the tumor is inoperable? The
> > > medical oncologist
or
> > > the surgeon? Personally, I would *strongly* recommend
> > > having your
father
> > > see a surgical oncologist who specializes in
> > > hepatobiliary surgery and get another opinion.
> > > Although I'm not a hepatobiliary surgeon, I have
> > > observed that, in the tertiary care centers I've
> > > worked thus far, a significant minority of patients
> > > referred to our oncologists with "inoperable" liver
> > > metastases turn out not to be so inoperable after
all.

> > Don't get too carried away, Orac. About 15% of patients
> > with liver mets are technically suitable for "curative"
> > surgery,
>
> Perhaps, but you missed or ignored my point, which is that
> patients with liver metastases from colorectal cancer are
> sometimes told that they are not candidates for curative
> surgery, when in fact, in the hands of an experienced
> liver surgeon, they are.
>

> >and about 15% are alive at 5 years. 15% of 15% is
> >2%............
>
> Apples and oranges, Steph. Again, my point was simply
> that, before a patient with liver metastases from
> colorectal cancer is declared "inoperable," if at all
> possible he/she should be seen by a qualified surgical
> oncologist who specializes in liver resections. (The only
> exceptions are if the patient has obvious extrahepatic
> disease or has more than five metastases--although, I
> would point out that there is evidence that long-term
> survival is possible after resecting as many as 9
> metasases, if technically possible.) My colleagues who do
> this type of surgery have told me of a number of cases
> they have seen in which the patient was inappropriately
> declared inoperable and told they needed chemotherapy,
> when they were, in fact, potentially operable.

agreed, though most experienced liver sugeons can make an
assessment from the CT scan, withoout need ing to see the
patient. If the mets are technically resectable, obviously
the patient has to be seen and the appropriate discussions
will ensue....

> Second, five year survival for hepatic metastases for
> colorectal cancer at centers experienced in such
> surgery is at least 20-30%, not 15%. (Indeed, I have
> seen papers claiming survival of close to 40%, although
> I find those hard to believe.) I can cite a number of
> papers if you wish.

The figures are largely representative of the patient
selection criteria, as you know.....

> Finally, in your zeal to downplay the effectiveness of
> surgery, you are lumping the patients who are not
> candidates for surgery with those who are. Yes, it is only
> a relative minority of patients with liver metastases who
> are candidates for surgery, and for those who are not
> candidates for surgery the prognosis is extremely dismal.
> Indeed, the prognosis ain't so hot even for those who are
> resectable with negative margins, but for them no other
> therapy even comes close to the efficacy of surgery in
> giving a chance at long term survival. Anyone who might
> have even a slight chance of being resectable should be
> evaluated by an appropriate surgeon, because if they are
> resectable it could mean the difference between a 20-30%
> chance of surviving 5 years and a near-zero chance.

I'm nat at all against liver resection when it's suitable.
I'm just trying to inject some realismm into the hype (
which is often pumped up by people who should know better -
like oncologists and surgeons)
> --
> Orac |"A statement of fact cannot be insolent."
> |
> |"If you cannot listen to the answers, why do
> |you inconvenience me with questions?"

"Thomas T. Veldhouse" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Hello.
>
>I have just learned of my Father's terminal case of
>inoperable liver cancer. It is a secondary cancer that
>spread from a previously treated case of rectal cancer.
>Apparently, the doctor did not get the cancer before it
>metasticized (sp?). The tumor is deep inside the liver
>and he was told it was inoperable. He was also told of
>new cancer in three lymph nodes near the site of the
>original cancer.
>
>What I am wondering is if there is any resource where I
>might investigate the use of various treatments, but in
>particular, if it was possible to find resources on
>experimental treatments. I would like to do the research
>whether he would be a likely candidate for such a program
>or not. Essentially, I need the ability to brainstorm and
>knock off options later. I just can't possibly believe that
>their isn't something that just might offer some benefit,
>even if it is to only extend his life a couple of years
>with relative peace.
>
>Thank you in advance for any assistance you might be able
>to provide.

A rectal cancer that has distant mets is no longer a local
disease and therefore no longer a surgical case. Stop
looking for surgeons! It obviously needs systemic treatment
with surgery coming afterwards for a final cleanup of
residual suspect masses. Arterial hepatic chemo-embolization
should be part of the plan. I had good results in several
cases with epirubicin powder mixed in lipiodol. You can
follow tumor reduction with plain X-rays. I would do also
intraperitoneal 5FU with oral leucovorin and endovenous
platin. Quite risk free and tolerable even in advanced age.

Well, for anybody following this or anybody that cares, it
appears that they are going to move forward and treat him
with a six week [every other week] regimine of avastin. My
details are sketchy at the moment, as they are filtered
through my mother, but I believe it is actually the
Avastin/IFL cocktail, but I have not confirmed this (I don't
know why a doctor would do anything else, as Avastin seems
to be of little benefit without IFL or another chemotherapy
drug). There is no surgery planned as of yet. So, can we
expect the Avastin/IFL combination to combat the cancer in
the lymph nodes as well, or will progress there be slower,
as I suspect?

--

"Thomas T. Veldhouse" wrote:

> Well, for anybody following this or anybody that cares, it
> appears that they are going to move forward and treat him
> with a six week [every other week] regimine of avastin. My
> details are sketchy at the moment, as they are filtered
> through my mother, but I believe it is actually the
> Avastin/IFL cocktail, but I have not confirmed this (I
> don't know why a doctor would do anything else, as Avastin
> seems to be of little benefit without IFL or another
> chemotherapy drug). There is no surgery planned as of yet.
> So, can we expect the Avastin/IFL combination to combat
> the cancer in the lymph nodes as well, or will progress
> there be slower, as I suspect?

Hello Thomas, I'm still reading and care. If it's not
combined with chemo, you may be interested in what Mike just
posted http://tinyurl.com/2h2uk

With or without the chemo combo, I'd have some serious
questions to ask since you mentioned bleeding ulcers.
http://www.fda.gov/fdac/features/2004/304_cancer.html

The IFL seems to be called the Saltz regimen. (I haven't
found a list of side effects or risks yet). And I suppose
the intended dose and regimen might be important to know.

I've seen references (while searching) to a gain of between
3 - 5 months.

I can't answer about the lymph nodes, but I'd have some
questions. Will it/they shrink the tumour? Will it/they help
with symptoms? Will it/they prevent spread ? (which seems to
be part of your question) What will his quality of life be?
What will the costs be? (side effects, complications). I
guess only time and your father's idea of what quality of
life means to him will tell.

Here's Steph's questions to ask: (you may want them now or
along the course of the treatment) http://tinyurl.com/vh34

Let us know how it's going. Best, J

"Steph" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<CONAc.769347$Pk3.9892@pd7tw1no>...
> [...]
> > candidates for surgery with those who are. Yes, it is
> > only a relative minority of patients with liver
> > metastases who are candidates for surgery, and for those
> > who are not candidates for surgery the prognosis is
> > extremely dismal. Indeed, the prognosis ain't so hot
> > even for those who are resectable with negative margins,
> > but for them no other therapy even comes close to the
> > efficacy of surgery in giving a chance at long term
> > survival. Anyone who might have even a slight chance of
> > being resectable should be evaluated by an appropriate
> > surgeon, because if they are resectable it could mean
> > the difference between a 20-30% chance of surviving 5
> > years and a near-zero chance.
> >

> I'm nat at all against liver resection when it's suitable.
> I'm just trying to inject some realismm into the hype (
> which is often pumped up by people who should know better

Orac is trolling you, Steph. Please pay him no mind.

Jerome

"Jerome G." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Steph" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > "Orac" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:eek:rac-CE10F7.19334118062004@news4-
> > ge1.srv.hcvlny.cv.net...

<[email protected]>,

liver
> > treated
> > cancer
liver
> > and he
three

it
> > was
like
and
> > knock
isn't
only

> > provide.

oncologist
> > or
> > father
and
have
after
> > all.

> > > Perhaps, but you missed or ignored my point, which is
> > > that patients
with
> > > liver metastases from colorectal cancer are sometimes
> > > told that they
are
> > > not candidates for curative surgery, when in fact, in
> > > the hands of an experienced liver surgeon, they are.

> > > Apples and oranges, Steph. Again, my point was simply
> > > that, before a patient with liver metastases from
> > > colorectal cancer is declared "inoperable," if at all
> > > possible he/she should be seen by a qualified surgical
> > > oncologist who specializes in liver resections. (The
> > > only exceptions are if the patient has obvious
> > > extrahepatic disease or has more than five metastases--
> > > although, I would point out that there is evidence
> > > that long-term survival is possible after resecting as
> > > many
as
> > > 9 metasases, if technically possible.) My colleagues
> > > who do this type
of
> > > surgery have told me of a number of cases they have
> > > seen in which the patient was inappropriately declared
> > > inoperable and told they needed chemotherapy, when
> > > they were, in fact, potentially operable.
> > >

> > agreed, though most experienced liver sugeons can make
> > an assessment
from
> > the CT scan, withoout need ing to see the patient. If
> > the mets are technically resectable, obviously the
> > patient has to be seen and the appropriate discussions
> > will ensue....
> >
> > > Second, five year survival for hepatic metastases for
> > > colorectal
cancer
> > > at centers experienced in such surgery is at least 20-
> > > 30%, not 15%. (Indeed, I have seen papers claiming
> > > survival of close to 40%,
although
> > > I find those hard to believe.) I can cite a number of
> > > papers if you
wish.

> > The figures are largely representative of the patient
> > selection
criteria, as
> > you know.....
> >
> > > Finally, in your zeal to downplay the effectiveness of
> > > surgery, you
are
> > > lumping the patients who are not candidates for
> > > surgery with those who are. Yes, it is only a relative
> > > minority of patients with liver metastases who are
> > > candidates for surgery, and for those who are not
> > > candidates for surgery the prognosis is extremely
> > > dismal. Indeed, the prognosis ain't so hot even for
> > > those who are resectable with negative margins, but
> > > for them no other therapy even comes close to the
efficacy
> > > of surgery in giving a chance at long term survival.
> > > Anyone who might have even a slight chance of being
> > > resectable should be evaluated by
an
> > > appropriate surgeon, because if they are resectable it
> > > could mean the difference between a 20-30% chance of
> > > surviving 5 years and a
near-zero
> > > chance.
> > >

> > I'm nat at all against liver resection when it's
> > suitable. I'm just
trying
> > to inject some realismm into the hype ( which is often
> > pumped up by
people
> > who should know better - like oncologists and surgeons)
>
> Orac is trolling you, Steph. Please pay him no mind.
>
> Jerome

He's not a troll, Jerome. I have a lot of time for his
views. I just think his enthusiasm occasionally gets in
the way......

In article <4k7Cc.863446$Ig.710924@pd7tw2no>,
"Steph" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Jerome G." <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...

> > Orac is trolling you, Steph. Please pay him no mind.
> >
> > Jerome
>
> He's not a troll, Jerome. I have a lot of time for his
> views. I just think his enthusiasm occasionally gets in
> the way......

Actually, Jerome Gregory is the Troll. He posts under that
name, the name Ewan Jackson, Jake Maplethorpe, and numerous
others, in order to troll. He's been a regular annoyance in
alt.revisionism for at least three years.

As for my enthusiasm "getting in the way," I could equally
say that your pessimism sometimes gets in the way. ;-)

|"If you cannot listen to the answers, why do
|you inconvenience me with questions?"

"Orac" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:eek:[email protected]...
> In article <4k7Cc.863446$Ig.710924@pd7tw2no>,
> "Steph" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > "Jerome G." <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
>
> > > Orac is trolling you, Steph. Please pay him no mind.
> > >
> > > Jerome
> >
> > He's not a troll, Jerome. I have a lot of time for his
> > views. I just think his enthusiasm occasionally gets in
> > the way......
>
> Actually, Jerome Gregory is the Troll. He posts under that
> name, the name Ewan Jackson, Jake Maplethorpe, and
> numerous others, in order to troll. He's been a regular
> annoyance in alt.revisionism for at least three years.
>
> As for my enthusiasm "getting in the way," I could equally
> say that your pessimism sometimes gets in the way. ;-)

Only because as oncologists we are more often guilty of
doing nasty things to people when there is no realistic
likelihood of benefit, that we are of failing to do things
to people when there is a realistic likelihood of benefit!

Steph <[email protected]> wrote:

> Only because as oncologists we are more often guilty of
> doing nasty things to people when there is no realistic
> likelihood of benefit, that we are of failing to do things
> to people when there is a realistic likelihood of benefit!

No offense to anybody in this group, but the reputation is
one that some doctors have earned. It is one that is
reflected in the larger numbers of malpractice suites. I had
a friend say to me, when I told him of my Father's illness,
"Doctor's killed my Dad, and now they are going to try and
kill yours!". It is this reason that I do my own research,
just in case I have anything to offer or in case I see
something going seriously wrong. So far, I do not find
myself in that situation. Although I seriously wonder about
the situation surrounding the initial diagnosis of colon
cancer, where he was told it was a stage 1 or 2 cancer. If
that was true, why did they do both chemo and radation
before the surgery (they used a constant IV drip for 6
weeks). Why did they wait about 6 weeks before doing any
sort of treatment at all? Why did thy suddenly say it was
stage 3 cancer after they did the surgery (I know it is
normal to accurately diagnose the stage after surgery).

--

Thomas T. Veldhouse Key Fingerprint: 2DB9 813F F510 82C2
E1AE 34D0 D69D 1EDC D5EC AED1

"Thomas T. Veldhouse" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Steph <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > Only because as oncologists we are more often guilty of
> > doing nasty
things
> > to people when there is no realistic likelihood of
> > benefit, that we are
of
> > failing to do things to people when there is a realistic
> > likelihood of benefit!
> >

> No offense to anybody in this group, but the reputation is
> one that some doctors have earned. It is one that is
> reflected in the larger numbers of malpractice suites.

A bit simplistic. It's often the patients who demand more
treatment. That doesn't justify the dncologists doing it if
it isn't indicated, but it is often difficult to say
"No"......

And the vast majority of malpractise suits, even in
the lunatic system in the USA, aren't anything to do
with malpractise, just bad outcomes. That's why most
of them fail.

> I had a friend say to me, when I told him of my Father's
> illness, "Doctor's killed my Dad, and now they are going
> to try and kill yours!".

Stay away from "friends" like that

It is this reason that I do my own research, just in
> case I have anything to offer or in case I see something
> going seriously wrong. So far, I do not find myself in
> that situation. Although I seriously wonder about the
> situation surrounding the initial diagnosis of colon
> cancer, where he was told it was a stage 1 or 2 cancer. If
> that was true, why did they do both chemo and radation
> before the surgery (they used a constant IV drip for 6
> weeks). Why did they wait about 6 weeks before doing any
> sort of treatment at all? Why did thy suddenly say it was
> stage 3 cancer after they did the surgery (I know it is
> normal to accurately diagnose the stage after surgery).

You should ask them?

> --
>
> Thomas T. Veldhouse Key Fingerprint: 2DB9 813F F510 82C2
> E1AE 34D0 D69D 1EDC D5EC AED1

Steph <[email protected]> wrote:

> A bit simplistic. It's often the patients who demand more
> treatment. That doesn't justify the dncologists doing it
> if it isn't indicated, but it is often difficult to say
> "No"......

I was intentionally being general. There are exceptions, I
am sure. There are MANY doctors, probably most of them in
the family practice or general practice areas, that simply
subscribe drugs ***** nilly and are essentially becoming
insurance and drug company cronies. It is these types to
which I refer. Again, I am not suggesting anybody in this
group is like that.

> And the vast majority of malpractise suits, even in
> the lunatic system in the USA, aren't anything to do
> with malpractise, just bad outcomes. That's why most
> of them fail.

I am aware of this as well. Frivolous lawsuits will end
this country if they don't get reigned in. I believe
litigation is one of the factors attributed to the fall of
the Roman Empire ;)

>> I had a friend say to me, when I told him of my Father's
>> illness, "Doctor's killed my Dad, and now they are going
>> to try and kill yours!".
>
> Stay away from "friends" like that

That friend is simply been disenchanted with his experience.
The fact is a negative experience is what is used to make
future decisions. (I don't eat peanut butter and jelly
sandwiches as I came down with the flu immediately upon
eating one .. it wasn't the sandwich, it was the flu, but I
still don't eat them).

> You should ask them?

Unfortunately, my Father has kept the family away from the
doctor (other than my Mother), so he takes advice, or not,
but I have no idea what is going on unless he tells me.