explain tor reward

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Generalnollidge, Jul 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. what do you get for winning? monetarily? a trophy?

Tags:

2. Raptor

Raptor Guest

GeneralNollidge wrote:
    > what do you get for winning? monetarily? a trophy?

Winning what, the Tour? $250000 (euros). Traditionally, all prize money is split among team members.

--
    --
    Lynn Wallace http://www.xmission.com/~lawall "I'm not proud. We really haven't done everything we
    could to protect our customers. Our products just aren't engineered for security." --Microsoft VP in
    charge of Windows OS Development, Brian Valentine.

3. Jiyang Chen

Jiyang Chen Guest

4. Joeg

Joeg Guest

Most important of all -- prestige and honor of winning the most important bike race of them all ...

Jiyang Chen wrote:
    > money, trophies, lion, flower, jersey, kisses, etc... "GeneralNollidge" <[email protected]>
    > wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>what do you get for winning? monetarily? a trophy?
    >>
    >>
    >

5. Jiyang Chen

Jiyang Chen Guest

that too "JoeG" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    >
    > Most important of all -- prestige and honor of winning the most important bike race of
    > them all ...
    >
    >
    >
    > Jiyang Chen wrote:
    > > money, trophies, lion, flower, jersey, kisses, etc... "GeneralNollidge" <[email protected]>
    > > wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > >>what do you get for winning? monetarily? a trophy?
    > >>
    > >>
    > >
    > >

6. Rwm

Rwm Guest

400,000 euros or USD $459,500

"Raptor" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > GeneralNollidge wrote:
    > > what do you get for winning? monetarily? a trophy?
    >
    > Winning what, the Tour? $250000 (euros). Traditionally, all prize money is split among team
    > members.
    >
    > --
    > --
    > Lynn Wallace http://www.xmission.com/~lawall "I'm not proud. We really haven't done everything we
    > could to protect our customers. Our products just aren't engineered for security." --Microsoft VP
    > in charge of Windows OS Development, Brian Valentine.

7. Robert Chung

Robert Chung Guest

"GeneralNollidge" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >

I think you get a big fruit bowl and first dibs on the podium girls.

8. Amg

Amg Guest

From the TdF official site, the prize money amounts to "a total of 3 million euros of which 400,000
    euros are for the winner." This is maybe $460,000 at current exchange rates.

Lance can afford to give this paltry sum to his team and support staff, since his endorsement deals
    will bring him about $16.5 million*, about 35 times the TdF prize money. It's not about the bike.

* http://money.cnn.com/2003/07/03/commentary/column_sportsbiz/sportsbiz/

9. Andrew Swan

Andrew Swan Guest

GeneralNollidge wrote:
    >
    >
    Stuart O'Grady got 100,000 Euros for winning the "Centenary" competition in this year's Tour (based
    on points scored over the six stages that made up the original TdF, if I understand correctly,
    although weren't stages a lot longer in the old days?).

Presumably he split it amongst his team, although how much support he actually got from his team, I
    don't know. Did his teammate Hushovd beat him in the MV competition because he is a better sprinter
    or got more help from the team?

&roo

10. Robert Chung

Robert Chung Guest

"Andrew Swan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > (based on points scored over the six stages that made up the original TdF, if I understand
    > correctly, although weren't stages a lot longer in the old days?).

That would be one way of putting it. In 1903 there were no transfer days. You rode from Paris to
    Lyon (467km), Lyon to Marseille (374km), Marseille to Toulouse (423km), Toulouse to Bordeaux
    (268km), Bordeaux to Nantes (425km), and Nantes to Paris (471km).

I believe the original conception was for 5 stages with Marseille straight through to Bordeaux.
    Toulouse was added to split up the stage.

The 1904 race was organized similarly but some of the riders did insert transfers.

11. Ronald

Ronald Guest

> Traditionally, all prize money is split among team members.

Usually it's split up in ten, one part for each rider and one part for the support team (mechanics,
    soigneurs etc).

"Raptor" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > GeneralNollidge wrote:
    > > what do you get for winning? monetarily? a trophy?
    >
    > Winning what, the Tour? $250000 (euros). Traditionally, all prize money is split among team
    > members.
    >
    > --
    > --
    > Lynn Wallace http://www.xmission.com/~lawall "I'm not proud. We really haven't done everything we
    > could to protect our customers. Our products just aren't engineered for security." --Microsoft VP
    > in charge of Windows OS Development, Brian Valentine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.