Exploded bike, What parts.

BzY

Sep 6, 2004
I was riding yesterday, and about 5 miles away from home my rear derailer "exploded". im not sure what happened, but the derailer broke into peices, hanger bent, and part of the derailer was rubbing on spokes. im thinking somthing got jamed in my chain and caused havok. so the meat of the post involves the question on what i buy.

derailer - i have/had a sora derailer. since i dont plan to change cassette's, should i stick with sora? would upgrading to 105 be pointless? if i did, would i need a different chain? can i use my sora shifters with 105? what other options do i have?

hanger - do i need to buy a hanger from the frame manufacture? The bike is an Iron Horse Cyclone. or is there some sort of universal hanger?

wheel/spoke/hub - i think these guys are fine, but the wheel is out of shape. now the wheel rubs on the brakes, after trying to adjust it. i think some of spokes are loose so tention is off. how do i fix this?

thanks a ton in advance, as you can tell im a noob to bikes.

You could also buy a second hand derailleur. They might be just as good or better as your Sora derailleur and cost you little to nothing.
Else I'd just buy a 105 derailleur of maybe an Ultegra.

BzY said:
I was riding yesterday, and about 5 miles away from home my rear derailer "exploded". im not sure what happened, but the derailer broke into peices, hanger bent, and part of the derailer was rubbing on spokes. im thinking somthing got jamed in my chain and caused havok. so the meat of the post involves the question on what i buy.

derailer - i have/had a sora derailer. since i dont plan to change cassette's, should i stick with sora? would upgrading to 105 be pointless? if i did, would i need a different chain? can i use my sora shifters with 105? what other options do i have?

hanger - do i need to buy a hanger from the frame manufacture? The bike is an Iron Horse Cyclone. or is there some sort of universal hanger?

wheel/spoke/hub - i think these guys are fine, but the wheel is out of shape. now the wheel rubs on the brakes, after trying to adjust it. i think some of spokes are loose so tention is off. how do i fix this?

If the hanger is bent you need a proper replacement. They are not universal.Take the wheel to a LBS and get it properly trued and retensioned. A 9 speed 105 RD will work,but anything more is overkill on a sora bike.

BzY said:

Suggest you find a LBS who can straighten or replace the hanger, sell you a new derailleur and adjust everything. Labor cost should be low to have an expect handle the needed repairs. Sora vs 105 or Ultegra doesn't matter much....important thing is to have the replacement correctly aligned and adjusted by a good mechanic.