Exploring the hood.

Dave W

Guest
Just got back from exploring my little corner of the world, and it was a blast. I followed this ol'
dirt road about 2 mile from my hacienda, and came upon some old barns and such from a time long ago.
Obviously forgotten, and damn near crumbling. I had heard atv's in the area from my backyard, so
it's something I've been wanting to check out for a while now. The dirt road ended right into this
big ass open field that had all sorts of dirtjumps, and berms and other fun stuff that the ATV'ers
have built up. (Sorry, no hills to climb, or descend)

I spent about 20 minutes zipping around this homemade course, and simply had a blast. A welcome
respite from the urban sprawl, and so close to home!! I'm glad I took the opportunity to JRA
around the hood.

Any others ever just go exploring around YOUR neighborhood? any good finds?

"Dave W" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Just got back from exploring my little corner of the world, and it was a blast. I followed this
> ol' dirt road about 2 mile from my hacienda, and came upon some old barns and such from a time
> long ago. Obviously forgotten, and damn near crumbling. I had heard atv's in the area from my
> backyard, so it's something I've been wanting to check out for a while now. The dirt road ended
> right into this big ass open field that had all sorts of dirtjumps, and berms and other fun stuff
> that the ATV'ers have built up. (Sorry, no hills to climb, or descend)
>
> I spent about 20 minutes zipping around this homemade course, and simply had a blast. A welcome
> respite from the urban sprawl, and so close to home!! I'm glad I took the opportunity to JRA
> around the hood.
>
> Any others ever just go exploring around YOUR neighborhood? any good finds?

I'm on a 220 acre parcel of land that had two creeks running through it. My plans are to scout
things out, and start marking potential trails when things get cooler (snakes go into hiding).
There's lots of roller coaster type stuff following both sides of the creeks.

regurgitated

> "Dave W" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]... <snip>
>>
>> Any others ever just go exploring around YOUR neighborhood? any good finds?
>
> I've come across a few good finds around the hood. Mostly just dirt, rocks, sage and the like.
>
> Matt

no Druid remains or nothing. I would imagine if you came across any cool stuff like that it would be
really old, and not very many would have seen it. But Rocks are nice.

Dave

regurgitated

> "Dave W" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>> Just got back from exploring my little corner of the world, and it was a blast. I followed this
>> ol' dirt road about 2 mile from my hacienda, and came upon some old barns and such from a time
>> long ago. Obviously forgotten, and damn near crumbling. I had heard atv's in the area from my
>> backyard, so it's something I've been wanting to check out for a while now. The dirt road ended
>> right into this big ass open field that had all sorts of dirtjumps, and berms and other fun stuff
>> that the ATV'ers have built up. (Sorry, no hills to climb, or descend)
>>
>> I spent about 20 minutes zipping around this homemade course, and simply had a blast. A welcome
>> respite from the urban sprawl, and so close to home!! I'm glad I took the opportunity to JRA
>> around the hood.
>>
>> Any others ever just go exploring around YOUR neighborhood? any good finds?
>
> I'm on a 220 acre parcel of land that had two creeks running through
> it. My plans are to scout things out, and start marking potential trails when things get cooler
> (snakes go into hiding). There's lots of roller coaster type stuff following both sides of the
> creeks.

Wow, where do you live? 220 acres! Some excellent trails could certainly made on that kind
of land huh?

"Dave W" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> regurgitated
>

> > "Dave W" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> >> Just got back from exploring my little corner of the world, and it was a blast. I followed this
> >> ol' dirt road about 2 mile from my hacienda, and came upon some old barns and such from a time
> >> long ago. Obviously forgotten, and damn near crumbling. I had heard atv's in the area from my
> >> backyard, so it's something I've been wanting to check out for a while now. The dirt road ended
> >> right into this big ass open field that had all sorts of dirtjumps, and berms and other fun
> >> stuff that the ATV'ers have built up. (Sorry, no hills to climb, or descend)
> >>
> >> I spent about 20 minutes zipping around this homemade course, and simply had a blast. A welcome
> >> respite from the urban sprawl, and so close to home!! I'm glad I took the opportunity to JRA
> >> around the hood.
> >>
> >> Any others ever just go exploring around YOUR neighborhood? any good finds?
> >
> > I'm on a 220 acre parcel of land that had two creeks running through
> > it. My plans are to scout things out, and start marking potential trails when things get cooler
> > (snakes go into hiding). There's lots of roller coaster type stuff following both sides of
> > the creeks.
> >

> Wow, where do you live? 220 acres! Some excellent trails could certainly made on that kind of
> land huh?

Baywood, just north (25 miles) of Baton Rouge. It'll be somewhat like the local trail, but not quite
as technical, or long, but it's a place to ride with easy access.

> "Dave W" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> regurgitated

>> > I'm on a 220 acre parcel of land that had two creeks running through it. My plans are to scout
>> > things out, and start marking potential trails when things get cooler (snakes go into hiding).
>> > There's lots of roller coaster type stuff following both sides of the creeks.
>> >

>> Wow, where do you live? 220 acres! Some excellent trails could certainly made on that kind of
>> land huh?
>>
> Baywood, just north (25 miles) of Baton Rouge. It'll be somewhat like the local trail, but not
> quite as technical, or long, but it's a place to ride with easy access.

How far is that from Sikes, or Winnfield. I've got some ol' friends from that part of the world.
Used to spend summers there. First place I ever tried rabbit. (tastes like chicken.)

"Dave W" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> > "Dave W" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >> regurgitated

> >> Wow, where do you live? 220 acres! Some excellent trails could certainly made on that kind of
> >> land huh?
> >>
> > Baywood, just north (25 miles) of Baton Rouge. It'll be somewhat like the local trail, but not
> > quite as technical, or long, but it's a place to ride with easy access.
> >

> How far is that from Sikes, or Winnfield. I've got some ol' friends from that part of the world.
> Used to spend summers there. First place I ever tried rabbit. (tastes like chicken.)

Winnfield is about 4 hours away in the northern part of the state. Not sure where Sikes is.

I don't really care too much for wild game, 'cept deer meat.

>> Any others ever just go exploring around YOUR neighborhood? any good finds?

All the time. In the last ten years I've never lived a house that was more than a ten minute
ride to a trailhead (now THAT's a requirement that most realtors have a hard time getting their
arms around).

Currently, I'm 1/2 mile from a 300 acre park with a few miles of single and doubletrack. And about
3.0 miles from the nearest entrance to a massive network of jeep and dirt bike trails.

Past houses have been within easy spins or walking distances of Mianus River, Wilton Woods, West
Hartford Res, Roraback/Nassahegon, and Nepaug.

My wife is a very tolerant and patient woman.

-Andrew

Andrew Thorne scrawled in bright red lipstick:
>>> Any others ever just go exploring around YOUR neighborhood? any good finds?
>>

> All the time. In the last ten years I've never lived a house that was more than a ten minute ride
> to a trailhead (now THAT's a requirement that most realtors have a hard time getting their arms
> around).
>
> Currently, I'm 1/2 mile from a 300 acre park with a few miles of single and doubletrack. And about
> 3.0 miles from the nearest entrance to a massive network of jeep and dirt bike trails.

I'm very fortunate to live at the base of a mountain feature that's a polyglot of private, utility
and some new public lands. Mostly private, but there is a pretty extensive trail system that's been
used for years by hikers, runner and now bikers. I think most of the trails were made by motorcyles
years ago. From taking to some of the landowners up there, it's the motos that cause them to put up
the NO TRESPESSASING signs, they don't seem to care about quiet users.

I went up there yesterday with Kamikaze #1 (who's no longer kamikaze after a wreck this summer)and
we linked up some stuff she knew about that I didn't. Pretty cool to do a six mile ride all withing
a 3 mile radius of the house. but, agh,the climbs....!! ;-)

Penny

>>> Any others ever just go exploring around YOUR neighborhood? any good finds?
>>

> All the time. In the last ten years I've never lived a house that was more than a ten minute ride
> to a trailhead (now THAT's a requirement that most realtors have a hard time getting their arms
> around).
>
> Currently, I'm 1/2 mile from a 300 acre park with a few miles of single and doubletrack. And about
> 3.0 miles from the nearest entrance to a massive network of jeep and dirt bike trails.
>
> Past houses have been within easy spins or walking distances of Mianus River, Wilton Woods, West
> Hartford Res, Roraback/Nassahegon, and Nepaug.
>
> My wife is a very tolerant and patient woman.
>
> -Andrew

Lucky for you then. My fiance' is not quite so tolerable. She "wasn't" a rider when I met her. But
she has grown fond of the "Clyde" I picked up last year. I doubt I'll ever get her on the dirt. But
she likes to ride the hood more now than she did before. I quess its a start.

Dave

"Andrew Thorne" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]... <snip>

> Gotta start somewhere. My wife's first ride was a freaking disaster. I
took her
> on all of my favorite trails - not really realizing that she wasn't going
to be
> able to ride them first time out. Duh.
>
> OK, now fast forward fifteen years. She's into it. We often hire a
babysitter
> for a few hours on a weekend afternoon so we can get out for a good trail
ride
> together since the trailer isn't so great on anything but smooth pavement.
>
> -Andrew

I've been through the same process with my honey. Now's she's Shop Girl. Mountain biking, skiing and
general bohemian living is what drove my previous (way too uptight) GF away. Good thing too.

We just need to get a good babysitter dialed in now (our best option just went to college).

"C'mon baby, it'll hurt the first couple of times, but you'll learn to love it after a while..."

Matt

Andrew Thorne scrawled in bright red lipstick:
>> Lucky for you then. My fiance' is not quite so tolerable. She "wasn't" a rider when I met her.
>> But she has grown fond of the "Clyde" I picked up last year. I doubt I'll ever get her on the
>> dirt. But she likes to ride the hood more now than she did before. I quess its a start.
>>
>> Dave
>
> Gotta start somewhere. My wife's first ride was a freaking disaster. I took her on all of my
> favorite trails - not really realizing that she wasn't going to be able to ride them first time
> out. Duh.

please explain to me why lots of men do this... are they stupid or what? (notice I didn't say "all")
I know more women that have been turned off to biking forever by this approach. One gal I know had
her hubby take her off the bluff ( can you say steep and exposed ) when she was pregnant for her
first ( and last) ride.

> OK, now fast forward fifteen years. She's into it. We often hire a babysitter for a few hours on a
> weekend afternoon so we can get out for a good trail ride together since the trailer isn't so
> great on anything but smooth pavement.

Glad she stuck it out with you. Riding on par (more or less) with Mr Adventure all summer ( finally,
for me) has been one of the highlights of my summer. I love it when he dabs.

Penny

Penny

> Andrew Thorne scrawled in bright red lipstick:
>>> Lucky for you then. My fiance' is not quite so tolerable. She "wasn't" a rider when I met her.
>>> But she has grown fond of the "Clyde" I picked up last year. I doubt I'll ever get her on the
>>> dirt. But she likes to ride the hood more now than she did before. I quess its a start.
>>>
>>> Dave
>>
>> Gotta start somewhere. My wife's first ride was a freaking disaster. I took her on all of my
>> favorite trails - not really realizing that she wasn't going to be able to ride them first time
>> out. Duh.
>
> please explain to me why lots of men do this... are they stupid or what? (notice I didn't
> say "all")

Glad you cleared that up.

> I know more women that have been turned off to biking forever by this approach. One gal I know had
> her hubby take her off the bluff ( can you say steep and exposed ) when she was pregnant for her
> first ( and last) ride.

you're joking right? while she was pregnant? incredible! No way I would've done that! Now I'd
like to take my ex to some place like that, but just to feed her to the buzzards ;-)(but that's
another story)

Penny S wrote:

> Andrew Thorne scrawled in bright red lipstick:
>
>>>Lucky for you then. My fiance' is not quite so tolerable. She "wasn't" a rider when I met her.
>>>But she has grown fond of the "Clyde" I picked up last year. I doubt I'll ever get her on the
>>>dirt. But she likes to ride the hood more now than she did before. I quess its a start.
>>>
>>>Dave
>>
>>Gotta start somewhere. My wife's first ride was a freaking disaster. I took her on all of my
>>favorite trails - not really realizing that she wasn't going to be able to ride them first time
>>out. Duh.
>

> please explain to me why lots of men do this... are they stupid or what? (notice I didn't say
> "all") I know more women that have been turned off to biking forever by this approach. One gal I
> know had her hubby take her off the bluff ( can you say steep and exposed ) when she was pregnant
> for her first ( and last) ride. <snip>

Wow. You've got to wonder about a guy like that. His name wasn't Scott Peterson, was it?
When I was pregnant, I had to argue with my husband over whether it was safe for me to be on
the bike at all. And that wasn't even mountain biking. I had my doc's permission to ride
"until it gets too uncomfortable, keep your heart rate under 110 and stay really, really
well hydrated". Which meant very sedate rides since it took very little exertion to push my
heart rate way up. "Until it gets too uncomfortable" turned out to be about midway through
the second trimester. By then, my center of gravity had changed significantly, my belly was
starting to get in the way, and a normal cycling position caused terrible heartburn from
acid reflux.

Kathleen

Kathleen scrawled in bright red lipstick:
>> please explain to me why lots of men do this... are they stupid or what? (notice I didn't say
>> "all") I know more women that have been turned off to biking forever by this approach. One gal I
>> know had her hubby take her off the bluff ( can you say steep and exposed ) when she was pregnant
>> for her first ( and last) ride. <snip>
>
> Wow. You've got to wonder about a guy like that. His name wasn't Scott Peterson, was it?

nope but he is some one with lots of initials after his name.

> When I was pregnant, I had to argue with my husband over whether it was safe for me to be on the
> bike at all. And that wasn't even mountain biking. I had my doc's permission to ride "until it
> gets too uncomfortable, keep your heart rate under 110 and stay really, really well hydrated".
> Which meant very sedate rides since it took very little exertion to push my heart rate way up.

Yes, that was truly my first mountain bike experience too.. riding the hubby's old biopace nishiki
hardtail on the bike paths. The gal wasn't' very far along but anyone who knows our bluff trails
would agree about the brightness about dragging a slightly pregnant newbie down there.

> "Until it gets too uncomfortable" turned out to be about midway through the second trimester. By
> then, my center of gravity had changed significantly, my belly was starting to get in the way, and
> a normal cycling position caused terrible heartburn from acid reflux.
>
> Kathleen

swimming. ;-)

Penny