Extensive Pix of Campy's 2007 Range

I can't see how that new integrated crank/bb spindle design accounts
for variation in bottom bracket shell width. Is there some sort of
spacer or crush washer between the bearing cup and crank arm to keep
the assembly from moving axially?

Jeremy MacLennan wrote:
> I can't see how that new integrated crank/bb spindle design accounts
> for variation in bottom bracket shell width. Is there some sort of
> spacer or crush washer between the bearing cup and crank arm to keep
> the assembly from moving axially?

The big problem with these oitboard bearing assemblies. If the shell is
exactly 68 or 70mm, no problem. If they are undersized, shim the
cups..if they are oversized -danger will robison. Most frames can be
faced, some cannot tho-Used to be you faced for bearing smoothness and
long life, now you do it to get the things to work. I wonder how many
frame makers face their frame BBs...not many, BTW-

<snippage>

Just noticed they appear to have downgraded the Centaur hubs - now same
as Veloce and Chorus/Record are the only ones with the lockring. Check
out the pix.

Seems they are trying to differentiate between the top, middle, and
bottom of the range a little more clearly.

D'ohBoy

On 21 Jul 2006 06:33:23 -0700, "D'ohBoy" <[email protected]> wrote:

><snippage>
>
>Just noticed they appear to have downgraded the Centaur hubs - now same
>as Veloce and Chorus/Record are the only ones with the lockring. Check
>out the pix.
>
>Seems they are trying to differentiate between the top, middle, and
>bottom of the range a little more clearly.

Marketing. People are starting to figure out just how good Mirage and Veloce
really are.

Ron

D'ohBoy wrote:
> <snippage>
>
> Just noticed they appear to have downgraded the Centaur hubs - now same
> as Veloce and Chorus/Record are the only ones with the lockring. Check
> out the pix.
>
> Seems they are trying to differentiate between the top, middle, and
> bottom of the range a little more clearly.
>
> D'ohBoy

Guy from Campag, USA alluded to this...no Chorus hubs at all, Record
with aluminum axle and all the rest with steel axles, just different
QRs...going deep into wheels, ala shimano-too bad, since thes ewheels
like most outta the box are not worth the $.

Veloce hubs are nice, BTW-just portly...and all have lockrings...

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> D'ohBoy wrote:
>> <snippage>
>>
>> Just noticed they appear to have downgraded the Centaur hubs - now
>> same as Veloce and Chorus/Record are the only ones with the
>> lockring. Check out the pix.
>>
>> Seems they are trying to differentiate between the top, middle, and
>> bottom of the range a little more clearly.
>>
>> D'ohBoy

> Guy from Campag, USA alluded to this...no Chorus hubs at all, Record
> with aluminum axle and all the rest with steel axles, just different
> QRs...going deep into wheels, ala shimano-too bad, since thes ewheels
> like most outta the box are not worth the $.
>
> Veloce hubs are nice, BTW-just portly...and all have lockrings...

I've never worked on a Campy hub. What do the lockrings do?
--
Phil Lee, Squid

Phil Lee, Squid wrote:
> Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
>
>>D'ohBoy wrote:
>>
>>><snippage>
>>>
>>>Just noticed they appear to have downgraded the Centaur hubs - now
>>>same as Veloce and Chorus/Record are the only ones with the
>>>lockring. Check out the pix.
>>>
>>>Seems they are trying to differentiate between the top, middle, and
>>>bottom of the range a little more clearly.
>>>
>>>D'ohBoy

>>Guy from Campag, USA alluded to this...no Chorus hubs at all, Record
>>with aluminum axle and all the rest with steel axles, just different
>>QRs...going deep into wheels, ala shimano-too bad, since thes ewheels
>>like most outta the box are not worth the $.
>>
>>Veloce hubs are nice, BTW-just portly...and all have lockrings...

> I've never worked on a Campy hub.

??? Too bad.

> What do the lockrings do?

Adjust the preload of the bearings with just a 2.5 mm allen key while
the wheel is in the frame. Very easy.

Lou
--
Posted by news://news.nb.nu

On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 11:14:48 -0700, jim beam <[email protected]>
wrote:

>D'ohBoy wrote:
>> Sure is purty!
>>
>> http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id=tech/2006/features/campaggroups2007
>>
>> D'ohBoy
>>

>that crank system's not - it's a pig's *******. the joint is ugly for
>torque, ugly for bending and to cap it all, expensive to produce with
>that multitude of one-at-a-time high precision machining operations on
>all those teeth! the shimano solution has much more engineering elegance.

Yeah, but zippy on the snob appeal.

Phil Lee, Squid wrote:
> Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> > D'ohBoy wrote:
> >> <snippage>
> >>
> >> Just noticed they appear to have downgraded the Centaur hubs - now
> >> same as Veloce and Chorus/Record are the only ones with the
> >> lockring. Check out the pix.
> >>
> >> Seems they are trying to differentiate between the top, middle, and
> >> bottom of the range a little more clearly.
> >>
> >> D'ohBoy

> > Guy from Campag, USA alluded to this...no Chorus hubs at all, Record
> > with aluminum axle and all the rest with steel axles, just different
> > QRs...going deep into wheels, ala shimano-too bad, since thes ewheels
> > like most outta the box are not worth the $.
> >
> > Veloce hubs are nice, BTW-just portly...and all have lockrings...

> I've never worked on a Campy hub. What do the lockrings do?
> --
> Phil Lee, Squid

There are 'lockrings' and 'lockrings-actually adjustment plates...All
Campag hubs come with cassette lockrings...only Record for 2007 will
have the on the bike adjustment plate...

jim beam wrote:
> D'ohBoy wrote:
> > Sure is purty!
> >
> > http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id=tech/2006/features/campaggroups2007
> >
> > D'ohBoy
> >

> that crank system's not - it's a pig's *******. the joint is ugly for
> torque, ugly for bending and to cap it all, expensive to produce with
> that multitude of one-at-a-time high precision machining operations on
> all those teeth! the shimano solution has much more engineering elegance.

Really? Is that why shimano is changing the way the left arm attaches
to the spindle for 2007? Engineering elegance?

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> jim beam wrote:
>> D'ohBoy wrote:
>>> Sure is purty!
>>>
>>> http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id=tech/2006/features/campaggroups2007
>>>
>>> D'ohBoy
>>>

>> that crank system's not - it's a pig's *******. the joint is ugly for
>> torque, ugly for bending and to cap it all, expensive to produce with
>> that multitude of one-at-a-time high precision machining operations on
>> all those teeth! the shimano solution has much more engineering elegance.

> Really? Is that why shimano is changing the way the left arm attaches
> to the spindle for 2007? Engineering elegance?

have you seen a shimano spindle break? the need to idiot proof is /way/
different from a young inexperienced design team producing something
that is so fundamentally compromised to satisfy marketing driven
management objectives.

and on that subject, what's your opinion on the campy "skeleton" brakes?
shimano elegantly achieve a much superior structure and retain a thin
web of material for aerodynamics and a margin of safety. again, campy
marketing outweighs engineering. not good.

"jim beam" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>> and on that subject, what's your opinion on the campy "skeleton" brakes?

> shimano elegantly achieve a much superior structure and retain a thin
> web of material for aerodynamics and a margin of safety. again, campy
> marketing outweighs engineering. not good.

Hey, you can always put on a set of Kool-Stop salmon colored pads....

bfd wrote:
> "jim beam" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>> and on that subject, what's your opinion on the campy "skeleton" brakes?

>> shimano elegantly achieve a much superior structure and retain a thin
>> web of material for aerodynamics and a margin of safety. again, campy
>> marketing outweighs engineering. not good.

> Hey, you can always put on a set of Kool-Stop salmon colored pads....

no thanks. their wet friction characteristics are abysmal. i have a
slightly used set available if you want them.

jim beam wrote:
> bfd wrote:
> > "jim beam" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >> shimano elegantly achieve a much superior structure and retain a thin
> >> web of material for aerodynamics and a margin of safety. again, campy
> >> marketing outweighs engineering. not good.

> > Hey, you can always put on a set of Kool-Stop salmon colored pads....
> >

> no thanks. their wet friction characteristics are abysmal. i have a
> slightly used set available if you want them.

Jim Beam, you crack me up with your schtick! More!

D'ohBoy

D'ohBoy wrote:
> jim beam wrote:
>> bfd wrote:
>>> "jim beam" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> news:[email protected]...
>>>
>>> Hey, you can always put on a set of Kool-Stop salmon colored
>>> pads....
>>>

>> no thanks. their wet friction characteristics are abysmal. i have a
>> slightly used set available if you want them.

> Jim Beam, you crack me up with your schtick! More!
>
> D'ohBoy

At least he uses a real fake name. <eg>

> that crank system's not - it's a pig's *******. the joint is ugly for
> torque, ugly for bending and to cap it all, expensive to produce with
> that multitude of one-at-a-time high precision machining operations on
> all those teeth! the shimano solution has much more engineering elegance.

Can you expand on why that joint is ugly for torque? I can see why its
bending performance depends upon preload, but I'd like to hear more
about why you don't like it for torque.

Thanks,

Jason