External bottom bracket compatability

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Sandy, Apr 19, 2006.

  1. Sandy

    Sandy Guest

    Just wondering ...

    With the new wave of bottom brackets having external cups and bearings, are
    they interchangeable ? FSA, Truvativ, Shimano, Campy 2007 ?

    Many thanks,
    --
    Bonne route !

    Sandy
    Verneuil-sur-Seine FR

    Tags:

  2. Sandy wrote:
    > Just wondering ...
    >
    > With the new wave of bottom brackets having external cups and bearings, are
    > they interchangeable ? FSA, Truvativ, Shimano, Campy 2007 ?
    >
    > Many thanks,
    > --
    > Bonne route !
    >
    > Sandy
    > Verneuil-sur-Seine FR

    I have heard that shimano ones can be used with FSA but haven't tried
    it. The 'best' in terms of bearing durability and construction seem to
    be shimano. Phil makes a tool kit and bearings for all these now(I just
    got it). Your guess is as good as mine about Campag 2007....too bad
    they may be succuming to marketing pressure to make these outbard
    bearing thingys...nothing really wrong with square taper...shimano has
    caused all this outbaord bearing stuff by designing the lousy ocatlink,
    followed by equally lousy ISIS...created a problerm then solved
    it...with square taper sitting the whole thing out....we'll see in
    2007.

  3. Sandy wrote:
    > Just wondering ...
    >
    > With the new wave of bottom brackets having external cups and bearings, are
    > they interchangeable ? FSA, Truvativ, Shimano, Campy 2007 ?
    >
    > Many thanks,
    > --
    > Bonne route !
    >
    > Sandy
    > Verneuil-sur-Seine FR

    I have heard that shimano ones can be used with FSA but haven't tried
    it. The 'best' in terms of bearing dusability and construction seem to

  4. Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
    > Sandy wrote:
    >> Just wondering ...
    >>
    >> With the new wave of bottom brackets having external cups and
    >> bearings, are they interchangeable ? FSA, Truvativ, Shimano, Campy
    >> 2007 ?
    >>
    >> Many thanks,
    >> --
    >> Bonne route !
    >>
    >> Sandy
    >> Verneuil-sur-Seine FR

    > I have heard that shimano ones can be used with FSA but haven't tried

    They can. FSA includes this big aluminum axle sleeve thing. It doesn't fit
    into DA bearing sleeve. I believe Truvativ is nonstandard.

    > it. The 'best' in terms of bearing dusability and construction seem to
    > be shimano. Phil makes a tool kit and bearings for all these now(I
    > just got it). Your guess is as good as mine about Campag 2007....too
    > bad they may be succuming to marketing pressure to make these outbard
    > bearing thingys...nothing really wrong with square taper...shimano has
    > caused all this outbaord bearing stuff by designing the lousy
    > ocatlink, followed by equally lousy ISIS...created a problerm then
    > solved it...with square taper sitting the whole thing out....we'll
    > see in 2007.

    Bullseye crank patent...

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training