Extra Body Fat May Harm Teens' Blood Vessels

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Petra, Sep 23, 2005.

  1. Petra

    Petra Guest

    Extra Body Fat May Harm Teens' Blood Vessels

    POSTED: 5:13 pm EDT September 21, 2005

    DALLAS -- Teenagers with even a little excess body fat run the risk of
    cardiovascular disease when they get older.

    Using ultrasound, researchers checked the elasticity of blood vessels in
    471 13- to 15-year-olds. They found those carrying extra weight also had
    less pliability in their blood vessels -- even among those with a body mass
    index well below what would be considered obese.

    The doctors said that could lead to a host of problems down the road,
    including high blood pressure.

    In the young teenagers, excess fat was more strongly associated with the
    reduction in blood-vessel pliability than was cholesterol and other blood
    fats.

    In the American Heart Association journal Circulation, the author of the
    study said it shows "another reason for people to be concerned" by obesity
    in children.

    Right now, some 30 percent of children are considered obese.

    Study Abstract http://circ.ahajournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/112/12/1789

    Tags:

  2. Hannah Gruen

    Hannah Gruen Guest

    "Petra" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Extra Body Fat May Harm Teens' Blood Vessels
    >
    > POSTED: 5:13 pm EDT September 21, 2005
    >
    > DALLAS -- Teenagers with even a little excess body fat run the risk of
    > cardiovascular disease when they get older.

    Yet another example of study results being interpreted to indicate something
    the study was not designed to determine. I hate that. Sometimes it is just
    the media, putting it's inaccurate spin on a study they don't understand.
    Sometimes it's the study authors, fishing for more grant money.

    Anyway, the fact that excess body fat is associated with cv disease is no
    big whoop. And the fact that there is some association in teenagers probably
    is not all that surprising. But what the study does NOT show, I believe, is
    that it is the body fat causing that cv disease. Rather, it's likely another
    factor that is causing both overweight and the cv effects. Whatever could it
    be.... Doh.

    HG

  3. None Given

    None Given Guest

    "Hannah Gruen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Anyway, the fact that excess body fat is associated with cv disease is no
    > big whoop. And the fact that there is some association in teenagers

    probably
    > is not all that surprising. But what the study does NOT show, I believe,

    is
    > that it is the body fat causing that cv disease. Rather, it's likely

    another
    > factor that is causing both overweight and the cv effects. Whatever could

    it
    > be.... Doh.

    Let's see, maybe I can guess. Lots of refined carb mixed with transfats are
    damaging their arteries, causing their bodies to try to repair the damage
    using cholesterol?

    --
    No Husband Has Ever Been Shot While Doing The Dishes